GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

2 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Elvis Presley????

Yes it was Elvis.  I couldn't find very much about the circumstances of the quote but in a bible that was owned by Elvis it was written in there along with other things of note.   The bible with his name engraved on it sold at an auction in 2012 and brought in $94,000.

There have been a number of accomplished swordsmen- and talented amateur swordsmen- in Hollywood history.   A great many of the amateurs have ONE MAN to thank- it's said he taught Hollywood to fence.  With all the teaching he's done, he's rarely on camera- in fact, when he was most visibly on camera, dueling, nobody has any idea it's him.  It's not a surprise he's a former Olympic gold medalist.

Who is this man?       For bragging rights, who did he play on-camera?

4 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Both Human and I assume he was involved with the Highlander movies and series, but don't know who he is.

George

Although both are factually correct, he was also involved in a few movies that were much, MUCH more famous than "Highlander."   That's when he appeared on camera.   But if you don't know that, there's no way you're going to identify his scenes in actual films in which he appeared.  (In hindsight, this will all be rather obvious- who he played, why you don't know it's him, etc.)     You've definitely seen him in that role.

I thought of Ray Park [Darth Maul], but doesn't fit the clues.

Trilogies with swordplay:

Lord of the Rings

Star Wars

Others:

Princess Bride, Willow, any Musketeers movie, Robin Hood...

Drawing blanks

16 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Both Human and I assume he was involved with the Highlander movies

As much as I do like the Highlander movies George I'm not sure where you got the idea from that I was involved with posting in this particular thread.  I been mostly a bystander and I really don' have any clue.

15 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Ron Perlman almost always plays characters fully disguised (Hellboy, Vincent (Beauty and the Beast), Viceroy (Star Trek Nemesis)), so I might not know him in a movie for that reason; but I don't think he's an accomplished swordsman.

George

As you pointed out, Ron Perlman's been in a number of roles. This guy has been in exactly one on-screen role, and that role is incredibly famous.   Ron Perlman also does not have a reputation as having taught Hollywood to fence-  otherwise he'd have a sword in his hand in his roles!

14 hours ago, Raf said:

I thought of Ray Park [Darth Maul], but doesn't fit the clues.

Trilogies with swordplay:

Lord of the Rings

Star Wars

Others:

Princess Bride, Willow, any Musketeers movie, Robin Hood...

Drawing blanks

He worked on as least 2 things you mentioned.   AFAIK, he has appeared onscreen in exactly 2 movies, in exactly one role.     But he worked on at least 1 other movie you mentioned, just not on-camera.

IIRC, the only reason we know he was in that role was one actor he trained and worked alongside mentioned it in interviews.   IMDb doesn't list it, but at least one wiki does- and notes he also briefly appeared as an additional character onscreen and can be recognized (for some value of "recognized", since I'm sure his family could pick him out.)

Oh, and Raf mentioned another trilogy he worked on, that I was unaware he'd worked on it until a few minutes ago. 

Ok, I'll give you the first part, but now I want the rest.

"The man who taught Hollywood to fence" was swordmaster BOB ANDERSON.   He appeared onscreen in two movies actually doing what he does best.  No, you didn't know it was him at the time.  Who did he play?

13 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

That didn't help.  I'd google his photos, but then it might give away the role.

George

A)  You don't know what he looks like, so looking for his photo wouldn't help.

B) Almost nobody remembers he did the role, so it wouldn't be easy to find that in an image search unless you hunted for it. (And there's easier ways to CHEAT if you wanted to that badly.)

C) When he was dressed in the role, it was impossible to point at a photo and say "Hey, that's Bob Anderson in that costume!  See, it's obviously him!"   That's why almost nobody knows it was him.

Break it down.  What was he doing onscreen?   Who could he have played that he could do that and you didn't know it was him?  The answer is a LOT easier than you're making it.

3 hours ago, oldiesman said:

I remember many years ago there was a thread that allowed someone to write a phrase from a film and someone guessed what the film's name was.   Can that be done here?

Oldies,

You want the "Name That Flick" thread.  It would also be OK in "Movie Mash-up," but probably not best in this thread.

George