GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI the pseudo-Christian cult

T-Bone

Why the concern over a pseudo-Christian harmful and controlling cult like The Way International?

The relevance has to do with those still involved with TWI. There’s always the chance that some folks inside have questions, doubts, concerns, issues and something they read on Grease Spot Cafe will resonate with them…or help resolve a mystery of something they’ve suspected for a while.

I start threads like this as a preemptive strike - prompted by the clearly imminent danger of certain posters who seem to enjoy generating white noise in an attempt to mask the treacherous nature of wierwille-doctrine / PFAL / TWI...I think most sensible people can make their way through such nonsense to figure out what's what.

It seems to me wierwille-defenders and pro-PFAL posters want to dicker over the ‘good’ from wierwille / PFAL as far as the biblical content and / or the blessings people have received from wierwille / PFAL.

These supposed benefits can be easily debunked by properly analyzing teachings to expose the Scripture twisting and logical fallacies. 

Harry G. Frankfurt in his little book “On Bull$hit” , said lying and bluffing are similar modes of misrepresentation or deception and that the essence of bull$hit is not that it is ALL false but that it is phony. What is WRONG with counterfeit money - no matter how close it mimics real money - is NOT what iI is like but HOW it is made. That is crucial for several reasons…note some of the forgery methods used to prop up a facade of Christianity and respectability: 

> wierwille’s fake doctorate 

> I doubt some of wierwille’s past associations listed on TWI’s website, since certain scholars and theologians on the list are miles apart theologically from wierwille’s doctrines. Perhaps wierwille was just a name-dropper:evildenk:

>wierwille’s claim of taking everything Moody correspondence school had to offer - see the letter from Moody correspondence that shows he lied. See. Here > Letter from Moody Correspondence school

> it should not be assumed the works he plagiarized are the gold standard. There are problems in those works too - and there’s wierwille mangling up some good content and some bad stuff - which through his incompetence and depraved agenda he managed to make even worse 

> wierwille’s claim of God audibly giving him an assignment to teach others “the Word” which had not been known since the 1st century. A ridiculous claim at that which has been discredited in several ways on many threads - by folks who are internet savvy, street smart to scams and have a vast amount of resources for Bible study - I think one would be hard pressed to find a lot of gullible people to fall for the God’s chosen messenger con. The ideal cult-candidate is usually young and naive.

~ ~ ~ ~ 

And claiming all the thousands already blessed by  wierwille / PFAL doesn’t amount to squat without hard proof…it’s obviously a desperate sales tactic 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

A parasite is a good description of a pseudo-Christian harmful and controlling cult like The Way International

TWI is an organization run by exploitative people. The organization survives by exploiting followers

There is a ‘commerce’  - an interchange of goods…commodities…resources…money…services…something of value (whether perceived or genuine) between HQ and followers. Followers give of their time, money, resources, talents, labor in exchange for something of no value = wierwille's twisted dogmatic fundamentalism / spiritualism / Gnosticism

wierwille was a pontificating pathological liar...plagiarist, drunkard, sexual predator, megalomaniac, malignant narcissist, chain-smoking, calloused voracious wolf in sheep’s clothing

~ ~ ~ ~

Imagine if you were a skilled artisan and someone comes into your shop and pays you $20,000 cash for a handcrafted item that took you years to create. 

You go to the bank to deposit the cash - and the bank teller and bank manager inform you that the money is counterfeit and must be reported to the local police department and / or U.S. Secret Service field office and the phony money is to be tabulated per government protocols and surrendered to a properly identified police officer or government agent…how would you feel about that?

It’s like that with how followers are exploited…ripped off by TWI. People give their hard-earned money, time, labor and the most valuable thing of all - their allegiance- in exchange for something counterfeit - the twisted ideology and practices of wierwille.

~ ~ ~ ~ 

wierwille / PFAL the challenging counterfeit to the Lord Jesus Christ, truth, the Bible, the body of Christ

I don’t negotiate with delusional wierwille-fans. The only thing worth saving out of wierwille-doctrine/ PFAL are the people who are swindled by it.

That’s all for now , folks  :wave:

Edited by T-Bone
update what's update
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

No - I haven't ...sounds interesting though...may have to check it out...I'm up to my old ways of reading a several books at a time

11 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

No - I haven't ...sounds interesting though...may have to check it out...I'm up to my old ways of reading a several books at a time

Here's another one (kind of) about Jesus... https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52698452-the-book-of-longings I read this in 2020. Goodreads describes it:

Grounded in meticulous historical research and written with a reverential approach to Jesus’s life that focuses on his humanity, The Book of Longings is an inspiring account of one woman’s bold struggle to realize the passion and potential inside her, while living in a time, place, and culture devised to silence her.

Raised in a wealthy family in Sepphoris with ties to the ruler of Galilee, Ana is rebellious and ambitious, a relentless seeker with a brilliant, curious mind and a daring spirit. She yearns for a pursuit worthy of her life, but finds no outlet for her considerable talents. Defying the expectations placed on women, she engages in furtive scholarly pursuits and writes secret narratives about neglected and silenced women. When she meets the eighteen-year-old Jesus, each is drawn to and enriched by the other’s spiritual and philosophical ideas. He becomes a floodgate for her intellect, but also the awakener of her heart.

Their marriage unfolds with love and conflict, humor and pathos in Nazareth, where Ana makes a home with Jesus, his brothers, James and Simon, and their mother, Mary. Here, Ana’s pent-up longings intensify amid the turbulent resistance to the Roman occupation of Israel, partially led by her charismatic adopted brother, Judas. She is sustained by her indomitable aunt Yaltha, who is searching for her long-lost daughter, as well as by other women, including her friend Tabitha, who is sold into slavery after she was raped, and Phasaelis, the shrewd wife of Herod Antipas. Ana’s impetuous streak occasionally invites danger. When one such foray forces her to flee Nazareth for her safety shortly before Jesus’s public ministry begins, she makes her way with Yaltha to Alexandria, where she eventually finds refuge and purpose in unexpected surroundings.

Edited by Rocky

My review and the story tell us something about ourselves (some of us here on GSC, that is). Including Mike. (I'm not soliciting a conversation, especially with Mike. However, if he reads this, maybe he'll reflect on it.

I wrote this review of The Book of Longings:

I didn't realize until I was in an unhappy marriage that one of my deepest longings was to be heard. To be a voice. I started writing shortly thereafter. It has been more than 25 years since. But I digress.

ANA mattered. She lived an internally rich, variegated life. She was the wife of Jesus. She was (IS) a voice.

Sue Monk Kidd wrote a masterpiece. I hope you enjoy The Book of Longings as much as I did.

Perhaps the passage that struck me most was this:

"Years ago, after that day I came to your house, I wrote down your story on papyrus. I wrote about your ferocious spirit, how you stood in the street and cried out what happened to you and were silenced for it. I think every pain in this world wants to be witnessed, Tabitha. That's why you shouted about your rape on the street and it's why I wrote it down."

She stared at me unblinking, then pulled me to her and clung there.

10 hours ago, Rocky said:

Here's another one (kind of) about Jesus... https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52698452-the-book-of-longings I read this in 2020. Goodreads describes it:

Grounded in meticulous historical research and written with a reverential approach to Jesus’s life that focuses on his humanity, The Book of Longings is an inspiring account of one woman’s bold struggle to realize the passion and potential inside her, while living in a time, place, and culture devised to silence her.

Raised in a wealthy family in Sepphoris with ties to the ruler of Galilee, Ana is rebellious and ambitious, a relentless seeker with a brilliant, curious mind and a daring spirit. She yearns for a pursuit worthy of her life, but finds no outlet for her considerable talents. Defying the expectations placed on women, she engages in furtive scholarly pursuits and writes secret narratives about neglected and silenced women. When she meets the eighteen-year-old Jesus, each is drawn to and enriched by the other’s spiritual and philosophical ideas. He becomes a floodgate for her intellect, but also the awakener of her heart.

Their marriage unfolds with love and conflict, humor and pathos in Nazareth, where Ana makes a home with Jesus, his brothers, James and Simon, and their mother, Mary. Here, Ana’s pent-up longings intensify amid the turbulent resistance to the Roman occupation of Israel, partially led by her charismatic adopted brother, Judas. She is sustained by her indomitable aunt Yaltha, who is searching for her long-lost daughter, as well as by other women, including her friend Tabitha, who is sold into slavery after she was raped, and Phasaelis, the shrewd wife of Herod Antipas. Ana’s impetuous streak occasionally invites danger. When one such foray forces her to flee Nazareth for her safety shortly before Jesus’s public ministry begins, she makes her way with Yaltha to Alexandria, where she eventually finds refuge and purpose in unexpected surroundings.

9 hours ago, Rocky said:

My review and the story tell us something about ourselves (some of us here on GSC, that is). Including Mike. (I'm not soliciting a conversation, especially with Mike. However, if he reads this, maybe he'll reflect on it.

I wrote this review of The Book of Longings:

I didn't realize until I was in an unhappy marriage that one of my deepest longings was to be heard. To be a voice. I started writing shortly thereafter. It has been more than 25 years since. But I digress.

ANA mattered. She lived an internally rich, variegated life. She was the wife of Jesus. She was (IS) a voice.

Sue Monk Kidd wrote a masterpiece. I hope you enjoy The Book of Longings as much as I did.

Perhaps the passage that struck me most was this:

"Years ago, after that day I came to your house, I wrote down your story on papyrus. I wrote about your ferocious spirit, how you stood in the street and cried out what happened to you and were silenced for it. I think every pain in this world wants to be witnessed, Tabitha. That's why you shouted about your rape on the street and it's why I wrote it down."

She stared at me unblinking, then pulled me to her and clung there.

Rocky, thanks for the recommendation and what you shared! You always bring great ‘thought-food’ to the table! You touch on some relevant subtopics and tangents too: 

Genuine relationships vs contrived ones in the social dynamics of a cult

Developing a life-transforming relationship with Jesus Christ instead of being encased in the concrete ideology of a dead idol (wierwille).

Becoming self-aware. Your actual-self (YOUR preferences, goals, desires, talents, etc.) vs your adaptive-self (what you think and do to survive in a cult). Being true to yourself.

• Upvote 1

Negotiations over the absurd are a waste of time.

it boils down to arguments to defend wierwille / PFAL are based on a priori - a presumption that wierwille was chosen and guided by God to teach “The Word” as it had not been known since the first century.

Something I find idiotic and idolatrous!

~ ~ ~ ~ 

My arguments against such undeserved veneration of wierwille’s anti-Christian ideology are grounded - NOT in reverence for wierwille and his works -

but

on quantitative and qualitative empirical evidence of wierwille’s words and deeds - a potpourri of twisted Scripture, hypocrisies, despicable behavior, the testimony of those he abused, exploited and sexually molested. 

~ ~ ~ ~

A theory is an explanation of the relationship in a set of observations.

The observations should provide evidence for the theory

Solid evidence supports a theory in the way that legs support a table or columns support the roof of a building.

The overwhelmingly contradictory, illogical, incoherent, unbiblical and deviant characteristics of wierwille’s doctrine and behavior leave the a priori of him being chosen and guided by God without a leg to stand on.

To argue that wierwille was the real deal - chosen by God to teach “The Word” to the modern world is to say that God is a senile  old coot who forgot what Jesus Christ accomplished...and the Old Codger of the Empyrean Domain must have also forgotten that Jesus Christ is supposed to be what doctrine, theory and practice revolve around...the Most Holy Long-in-the-Tooth must have lost track of the truth - for He had wierwille say "The Word takes the place of the absent Christ"...

It’s a shame the Transcendent Old Geezer has gone soft on the 10 commandments - cuz He directed wierwille to say "as long as you love God and neighbor you can do as you full well please".

Must be Alzheimer’s of the Divine Mind for Him to forget He’s omnipotent and now has to submit to “the law of believing

once - in the late 60s there was a ‘disturbance in the force’ when the Ancient of Days Cantankerous Creator of the Cosmos had His sacred afternoon nap  zzzZZZ:sleep1: ZZZ   interrupted by a pseudo-Christian cult-leader shouting something about Jesus Christ coming back as Lord of Lords, King of kings, as God Almighty. The Omniscient Geriatric Prime Mover had to confer with the rest of the divine council at The Metaphysical Assisted Living for Supernatural Beings to determine if wierwille was talking about Him or His Son. Statement to be issued at some future day and time and hour and minute and second and millisecond as it already was were and has have or had been. Who is The Logos? Who's on first? Who is the first? Who's that knocking at my door? To whom is this post written?

~ ~ ~ ~                                                                ~ ~ ~ ~

Not saying I'm a prophet or anything but I have it on pretty good authority there's a new year coming. :rolleyes:

And for that reason, I say to all Grease Spotters , have a Happy New Year :beer:

Edited by T-Bone
revision of the first magnitude of attitude
  • Upvote 1

To this day the reason The Way International continues with the 'whitewash program' - is to conceal the unpleasant fact that it is STILL a pseudo-Christian organization…NOT based on the person and authority of the Lord Jesus Christ - but on the challenging counterfeit, wierwille!

50 years ago, if you would have asked me “how would you like to learn about God and the Bible by following a  hypocritical  unabashed  plagiarist  delusional  megalomaniac  malignant  narcissist  money-grubbing  chain-smoking  drunkard  misogynistic  sexual predator  who will exploit you until you’re all used up?

I probably would have responded by saying “no thanks, if that’s what God and the Bible are all about, I’ll look elsewhere.”

~ ~ ~ ~ 

There’s a time coming when all those who have misled others will have to answer for their crimes:

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

2 He called a little child to him and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me. 

6 “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. 7 Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come! 

Matthew 18

• Like 1

The credibility of  wierwille’s legacy relies on the supposed 1942 ‘promise of God’ assigning wierwille the task of ‘accurizing’ the works of others. Imagine God giving wierwille the green light to plagiarize the works of others and furthermore God would help him tie it altogether and fit with the Bible perfectly – resulting in him teaching us “The Word” like it hasn’t been known since the 1st century.

Reviewing wierwille’s works in a normal frame of mind some 37 years after forsaking a cultic-mindset, I find wierwille’s collaterals to be a discombobulated hot mess – the manifesto of a very delusional man.

The incongruity of the whole 1942 promise should be alarming to any Christian…any serious student of the Bible!

Why do I say that?

Well…think about it…doesn’t it seem odd…out of character…even creepy and strange that a Holy benevolent God, biblically famous for His justice, faithfulness, righteousness, omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence, sovereignty, etc., would choose wierwille for some special earth-shattering assignment that would have a profound impact on the future of Christianity.

Even if wierwille was clean as a whistle in 1942 and had no ill will – God’s choice of him in 1942 would suggest a number of disturbing-faith-shattering ideas – such as the following – and please note these are just a FEW of the many aberrant alternate possibilities in the spacetime continuum  if  the 1942 promise/God speaking audibly to wierwille really happened:

1. God doesn’t know the future – that wierwille would develop into a misogynistic pathological liar, malignant narcissist, sexual predator, a thieving flagrant plagiarist, megalomaniac, money-grubbing, chain-smoking, drunkard, abusive, calloused and delusional cult-leader.

2.God does know the future – He knew that wierwille would develop into a misogynistic pathological liar, malignant narcissist, sexual predator, a thieving flagrant plagiarist, megalomaniac, money-grubbing, chain-smoking, drunkard, abusive, calloused and delusional cult-leader – and God was okay with that...The 10   commandments  suggestions are optional.

3.True Christianity was lost after the 1st century until a misogynistic pathological liar, malignant narcissist, sexual predator, a thieving flagrant plagiarist, megalomaniac, money-grubbing, chain-smoking, drunkard, abusive, calloused and delusional cult-leader like wierwille came along to get Christianity back on track.

4.What Jesus Christ did way back when was important – but  that was then – and this is now “The Word takes the place of the absent Christ.”...if you can't comprehend that - just stick around - keep reading the collaterals, because what wierwille SAID is more important now.

5. God doesn’t care about the harm and pain wierwille caused...and God doesn't care about the shame wierwille brought to the name of Jesus Christ...and God doesn’t even care about the pain you have – the main thing is that we parrot wierwille’s pious platitudes…it’s the ABCs of Christianity: Always Be reading the Collaterals.

6. There really were 4 crucified with Jesus Christ.

7. The Bible really does interpret itself.

~ ~ ~ ~

When one removes the footing of wierwille’s authority   and  his logical fallacies/eclectic interpolations   and   his twisting of Scripture, wierwille’s dubious doctrines are de-feeted. :evilshades:

The subterfuge of wierwille’s collaterals is a pretentious connection to reality. They are designed to keep one in mental busywork – it keeps one intellectually and emotionally occupied…and since most of it is nonsense and wishful thinking, there develops a repetitive cycle of frustration and a renewed commitment to making it work... 'rinse and repeat'…it’s predictable...monotonous…a repetition of thought processes and actions…that is not true Christianity! It is the way a harmful and controlling pseudo-Christian cult keeps stringing followers along.

20 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Reviewing wierwille’s works in a normal frame of mind some 37 years after forsaking a cultic-mindset, I find wierwille’s collaterals to be a discombobulated hot mess – the manifesto of a very delusional man.

That one and a half line statement says quite a lot all by itself.

My memory says Wayfers don't self identify as Christians.  I seem to remember that word being thought of with a negative connotation.

Quickly looking at theway.org site, it's a Biblical ministry.  Christian isn't mentioned.  Maybe I missed it.

During WayD we gave out the website to those we witnessed to.  I remember one call with one polite but firm gentleman who looked at the website and realized The Way did not share his views on Christ and no thank you.

We were Believing Believers of the Standing Follower in the HouseHold of the Remnant qualifier qualifier qualifier qualifier qualifying qualifier of previous qualifier.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

My memory says Wayfers don't self identify as Christians.

My memory and text messages say the same.

My FC said TWI/PFAL/VPW is not a religion. He said he did not consider himself a Christian nor self identify as religious.

I asked, "What is religion?"

He answered, "Man made."

** I rest my case.

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2022 at 7:41 AM, Rocky said:

The Book of Longings is a very readable, very intriguing book.  Time I had a re-read.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Quickly looking at theway.org site, it's a Biblical ministry.  Christian isn't mentioned.  Maybe I missed it.

Absolutely right, and it had never occurred to me until now.  It's always described itself as a "Biblical research, teaching and fellowship ministry."  Never a "Christian research, teaching and fellowship ministry."

Mind you: it's no good at research, Biblical, Christian, or otherwise; no good at teaching, though it is good at indoctrination and bullying; not good at fellowship, being so exclusive and manipulative.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

My memory says Wayfers don't self identify as Christians.  I seem to remember that word being thought of with a negative connotation.

During WayD we gave out the website to those we witnessed to.  I remember one call with one polite but firm gentleman who looked at the website and realized The Way did not share his views on Christ and no thank you.

We were Believing Believers of the Standing Follower in the HouseHold of the Remnant qualifier qualifier qualifier qualifier qualifying qualifier of previous qualifier.

4 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

My memory and text messages say the same.

My FC said TWI/PFAL/VPW is not a religion. He said he did not consider himself a Christian nor self identify as religious.

I asked, "What is religion?"

He answered, "Man made."

** I rest my case.

46 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Absolutely right, and it had never occurred to me until now.  It's always described itself as a "Biblical research, teaching and fellowship ministry."  Never a "Christian research, teaching and fellowship ministry."

Mind you: it's no good at research, Biblical, Christian, or otherwise; no good at teaching, though it is good at indoctrination and bullying; not good at fellowship, being so exclusive and manipulative.

:doh:
holy crap!!!

I mean unholy crap - how did I miss that ?!?!?!

7 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Wow I’m remembering this now.  Yes there is an internal buzz about how “Christian” is a derogatory term given by the persecutors.  Because they talked about the “Christ in” stuff they were ridiculed with the name.

So they prefer the term “believers”.  There is a whole slew of other jargon attached to the Way that is similar.

It produces an egotistical derision and looking down upon other Christians and established an internal cult name that true “believers” latch onto.

So “believers” would never spend any time on that “vomit fest” Greasespot because they are too busy “moving the Word Over the World”.

Putting the Stepford in.  Taking the Christian out.  

One of the first steps in a cults dominance in a persons life is establishing a secret inner knowledge that folks outside the cult don’t have.

You see the cult idols are very jealous idols.  They can tolerate no other names or ideas among them.

Edited by chockfull

9 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Wow I’m remembering this now.  Yes there is an internal buzz about how “Christian” is a derogatory term given by the persecutors.  Because they talked about the “Christ in” stuff they were ridiculed with the name.

So they prefer the term “believers”.  There is a whole slew of other jargon attached to the Way that is similar.

It produces an egotistical derision and looking down upon other Christians and established an internal cult name that true “believers” latch onto.

So “believers” would never spend any time on that “vomit fest” Greasespot because they are too busy “moving the Word Over the World”.

Very interesting points...the hypocrisy is glaring cause they clamor about Christ in you constantly , as if that's some kind of power lever to be unleashed to bring stuff to a person and that's called abundance...fake.

Edited by OldSkool

2 hours ago, Twinky said:

Yes you are 100 percent right.

An organization with an identity crisis.  What they say they stand for is a lie and hidden to gain power over people. 

A Biblical research ministry that accepts no other organizations input even on a common goal, that doesn’t use normally accepted publishing standards or channels, that meets in homes, and is very evangelical.

They suck at research, the teachings are vanilla, and with leaders consistently shuffling bodies through “placements” and shunning people there is no genuine fellowship either.  Just a cult identity bond which disappears the instant you choose a different Christian org.

10 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

But they clamor about Christ in you constantly , as if that's some kind of power lever to be unleashed to bring stuff to a person and that's called abundance...fake.

Fake cult is fake.  VP crying tears and performing with antics on camera about “Christ in you the hope of glory”.  But daily practice makes “Christian” a dirty word and prefers a cult substitute “believer”

It reminds me of Christian Grey Poupon mustard.

”Are you a Christian?  Pardon me and pass the Grey Poupon”

Edited by chockfull

9 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

vpw claimed that "Christian" was a corruption of "Christ-in", and that Christians were originally called that because they talked about Christ-in.  As always, he was wrong.  The man never studied Church history, he studied how to give sermons.   In hindsight, it was ridiculous to trust him on anything of substance- Bible languages, Church history.....     vpw claimed the early Christians in Acts were called "followers of The Way", with Jesus Christ being "The Way."  Naturally, they're into their congregation being called their "FOLLOWERS" and herding them like sheep....and fleecing them like sheep.

2 hours ago, chockfull said:

One of the first steps in a cults dominance in a persons life is establishing a secret inner knowledge that folks outside the cult don’t have.

You see the cult idols are very jealous idols.  They can tolerate no other names or ideas among them.

Were any facts given by vp to support this assertion that “Christian” is a derogatory term given by the persecutors.  Because they talked about the “Christ in” stuff they were ridiculed with the name."? 

According to Acts 11:26, "and when he (Barnabas) had found him (Saul), he brought him to Antioch. And so it came to pass that for a whole year they met with the church and taught a great number of people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch."  The word "Christian" has been used respectfully for centuries as a name for those who love and follow Christ.  So even if there was a grain of truth behind what vp said, he could easily have chosen to continue honoring the name instead.

His real reason for doing what he did had nothing to do with the origin of the name.  I believe his intent was to derogate the name himself for self-serving, cult-like purposes like the ones chockfull shared above.