GreaseSpot Cafe

What happens at Camp Gunnison?

Guest ConfusedOutsider87

Question

Guest ConfusedOutsider87

What exactly happens at Camp Gunnison? I have a friend who I just found out grew up in The Way and I’m trying to find out more about it since I have never heard of it before. Is it a ministry school? A religious “retreat”? How long do you go for? Any info is welcome. Thanks! 

3 answers to this question

It has been used for various purposes. 

Some years, there were permanent in-residence Way Corps ("leadership") trainees throughout the year, at least during the spring to autumn months, not sure about winter.

Summer camps, a week at a time, July-August.  Various teachings on a pre-announced theme in the morning, family free time afternoons with activities laid on, meetings of various types in the evenings.  Some of the afternoon guest activities may include rafting, walking in forests, hiking up mountains, fishing, cart rides, rodeo, bucking bronco machine, clown show, etc.

In later years, it's just been some kind of summer camp or retreat.  I don't know what activities are provided for people holidaying there.

There are also classes, or short courses, run from time to time.

You have to have taken the "foundational class" to be able to visit this camp.  It's not open to the general public.

It's a gorgeous peaceful location, set on the flat valley floor and gently sloping banks of a lovely clear little river.  Breathtakingly great views across to nearby snow-capped mountains.  Purpose built log cabins of various sizes for use as residences for family or individual guests and students, and for teachings, gatherings, a library, and associated facilities.

https://www.theway.org/connect-and-grow/camp-gunnison/

I remember my mother hitchhiking from Indiana (Rome City campus) to Gunnison, Co. to do their fitness program there.  She was 61 years old back then.  Today I'm 65 and the last thing on my mind is hitchhiking anywhere!!!  I do remember enjoying picking on my mom by informing her she spent years teaching me right from wrong and hitching was cool in the 60's and early 70's, but by the time she did it, it was NOT safe.  She went anyway, I just prayed she'd make it back alive and in good condition.

On 12/29/2022 at 9:13 AM, Guest ConfusedOutsider87 said:

What exactly happens at Camp Gunnison? I have a friend who I just found out grew up in The Way and I’m trying to find out more about it since I have never heard of it before. Is it a ministry school? A religious “retreat”? How long do you go for? Any info is welcome. Thanks! 

Hi, my contribution to informing people about The Way is my memoir titled, Undertow: My Escape from the Fundamentalism and Cult Control of The Way International. I was a Way leader trained by the founder of The Way, Victor Paul Wierwille. In 1970, I dropped out of college gave his cult the next 17 years of my life.

I invite you t check out my website for more info on my book, as well as plenty of free blog posts I wrote about what a cult is and  what fundamentalism is.

Cheers,

Charlene Edge

https://charleneedge.com