We were discussing who wrote this:

CHARACTER IS A COMPOSITE OF OUR HABITS

Sow a thought reap an action

Sow an action reap a habit

Sow a habit reap a character 

Sow a character reap a destiny

3 hours ago, T-Bone said:

so I lean toward Covey - for at least part of the quote :rolleyes:

I found a website called "Quote Investigator" and they found MANY authors of the same ideas, just slightly different wording.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/01/10/watch-your-thoughts/

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I found a website called "Quote Investigator" and they found MANY authors of the same ideas, just slightly different wording.

thanks, Mike - cool website!

19 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Actually, the crazy bus thing goes back even further.

The Firesign there in that album were paying a subtle homage to Neal Cassady and  Ken Kesey, and the Merry Pranksters' bus 'Further."

My use of the phrase in my book was aimed more at the Pranksters, than the Firesign.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I'm late to the party, but just wanted to say that the Poker face video was hilarious. ( I wasn't going to watch any of them until I read later comments.)  I did wonder if the three kids matching the actions were going to do a real spoof, especially when the male started waving an arm around towards the end - was he going to turn it into a slow "strip," Chippendale-style?  (Hey, just renew your mind, anything, even stripping, done in the love of God... etc etc).

From "The Full Monty" (available on YouTube if you haven't seen this hilarious comedy about living in poverty):

On 2/6/2023 at 7:58 PM, Charity said:

Usually when I think of being strong, I interpreted it as physical strength.  However, Paul is connecting all of them together -  strength, power, spirit, inner being and Christ dwelling in our hearts.  Since each of them have to do with the mind (i.e., our cerebrum), it all comes back to the "renewed mind."

Don't think that the Bible references physical strength much at all except in specific cases, much as it doesn't give physical descriptions of people.

God wants us to be strong in heart.  In love for him, and for his people - for all people.  [Thou shalt love the lord thy God; and thy neighbour as thyself.]  Inner strength and resilience will outlast physical strength, where the mind is weak.

Anyone who's escaped TWI and is making a healthy, independent, life for themselves is resilient!

On 2/7/2023 at 2:02 PM, Mike said:

On the website it says.....Watch your thoughts, they become your words.  Watch your words, they become your actions.

You know WHO ELSE was watching our thoughts and actions?  The cult.

They were watching us, molding us, indoctrinating us.  Seems to me, this cute little phraseology turns deadly when a cult gains power over you.  It's like a double-edged sword.  Every little one-liner can "seem" good on the surface..... but in the twisted minds of cult leaders that one-liner can also be used against you.  So, I don't much follow these little quips in life anymore.  I like to use my critical thinking skills to get to the deeper levels of identity and self-governing.

Burned by a cult will do that to you.

Edited by skyrider

17 minutes ago, skyrider said:

On the website it says.....Watch your thoughts, they become your words.  Watch your words, they become your actions.

You know WHO ELSE was watching our thoughts and actions?  The cult.

They were watching us, molding us, indoctrinating us.  Seems to me, this cute little phraseology turns deadly when I cult gains power over you.  It's like a double-edged sword.  Every little one-line can "seem" good on the surface..... but in the twisted minds of cult leaders that one-liner can also be used against you.  So, I don't much follow these little quips in life anymore.  I like to use my critical thinking skills to get to the deeper levels of identity and self-governing.

Burned by a cult will do that to you.

Yes they were. Watching the entire time, tying us in knots with fear of a negative confession. I am so thankful I am free of that garbage..knowing that out thoughts dont somehow influence reality of their own power is deliverance. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Yes they were. Watching the entire time, tying us in knots with fear of a negative confession. I am so thankful I am free of that garbage..knowing that out thoughts dont somehow influence reality of their own power is deliverance. 

Many have shared thru the years how deathly paranoid wierwille was.  He was in constant fear of losing his power and control over others.  Was he also afraid that his secret sins would be found out and on display for others to see?  I think so.

The cult atmosphere is laced with watchful paranoia:  1) Watch out for devil spirit activity, 2) Watch out that your staffers are not speaking negatives and souring on the cult's headquarter experience, 3) Watch out for internet activity, specifically on the GreaseSpot website, and 4) Watch out that your believing doesn't falter and you're out of fellowship.  In other words, the system is built on fear.

As the numbers shrink.... the paranoia grows.  More eyes are on the little remnant that's left.  The tighter they grip, the more people want to escape the bondage.

Edited by skyrider
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, skyrider said:

Many have shared thru the years how deathly paranoid wierwille was.  He was in constant fear of losing his power and control over others.  Was he also afraid that his secret sins would be found out and on display for others to see?  I think so.

The cult atmosphere is laced with watchful paranoia:  1) Watch out for devil spirit activity, 2) Watch out that your staffers are not speaking negatives and souring on the cult's headquarter experience, 3) Watch out for internet activity, specifically on the GreaseSpot website, and 4) Watch out that your believing doesn't falter and you're out of fellowship.  In other words, the system is built on fear.

As the numbers shrink.... the paranoia grows.  More eyes are on the little remnant that's left.  The tighter they grip, the more people want to escape the bondage.

Skyrider said: “He was in constant fear of losing his power and control over others.  Was he also afraid that his secret sins would be found out and on display for others to see?” 

This right here!!!!!!!

Fear of losing control and fear of exposure!

Toto pulling back the curtain in The Wizard of Oz.

IEOv%2BIodXnWGHpvibNGuuIIpk2e3N00Pmw=&ri

~ ~ ~ ~

In its memory banks R2D2 had the Death Star plans that revealed its weakness

leia-556551.jpg

~ ~ ~ ~

Grease Spot Café is like Toto and R2D2, don’t you think?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, skyrider said:

And wasn't there a recent thread about Loy claiming weakness defeats strength?

If that isn't cultic bullshonta, nothing is.