GreaseSpot Cafe

10 Traits of Narrow-Minded People

T-Bone

See if any of this fits a description of someone you know and/or something you know about yourself. Here's an article I found on the internet:

10 Traits Of Narrow-Minded People  by Malgosia Ruszkowska 

Narrow Mindedness is part of life and we’ve all experienced it at some point in our life, to a greater or lesser extent.

If one has chosen to purposefully limit their perspective of life and the world around them, their choice should be respected, as long as they do not try to impose it on others.

It seems science is yet to answer what exactly makes some of us more narrow-minded than others. For the time being, however, we can take a quick look at the top ten defining characteristics of a closed mind.

1. Narrow-minded people tend to be very judgmental.

They know it all, and they always have their say about what someone else should do, say, or how they should look like. Typically, those statements are nowhere near objectivity. Judgmental people know best what their friends should be doing with their lives or where their relationships should be going.

In some extreme cases, they may even feel obliged to comment on what their neighbor should wear. Their statuses on social media are often criticizing others with no intention to give anyone at least a bit of credit. However, in some cases, their excessive criticism may backfire on them.

2. Must be (always) right.

“I told you so” is their favorite line. There is no way you can win an argument with a narrow-minded person, not to mention getting to some form of agreement. They will turn around the facts to support their opinion and will never let you have the last word.

Remember this absurd classroom rule that “The teacher is always right” with the following being that if the teacher isn’t right, refer to Rule One? Well, whoever came up with it must not have been very broad-minded.

3. Xeno/Homo/Humano… phobic.

Anything that the narrow-minded person does not understand or appears to them even slightly different is perceived as a threat. The list of targets includes, but is not limited to, immigrants, gay people, people with disabilities…

The narrow-minded person can be very good at hiding their phobias and not showing their disapproval on the surface, but deep inside they hold a mighty grudge for these social groups. Needless to say, their fears and reservations are seldom justified or reasonable.

4. Stuck in their habits.

One of the most defining characteristics of a narrow-minded person is that no matter what happens around them, they remain staunch to their habits. If, for example, a hard-headed person has been having a particularly bad fit of gout, they’d rather complain to high heaven then go and seek medical attention.

Similarly, they may spend hours complaining about their job, but they actually have no intention whatsoever to do anything to improve their situation.

When driving a car they are always swearing at other drivers, as if the road belonged to them. Their verbal outbursts, however, can sometimes escalate into brutal road rage crimes.

5. Generalizing lots.

Statements such as “All foreigners steal jobs”, “Rich people are rich because they exploit the working class”, “All politicians are liars”, “Such and such country is dangerous” and so on, are their everyday slogans.

All of the above generalizing catchphrases have been devised with the sole purpose of attracting a bunch of narrow-minded hardliners, frozen in their own stereotypes of the past. These are often repeated slogans they’ve heard from others or read in tabloids and have never bothered to cross check or verify.

Their favorite words are: “always”, “never”, “everybody”, “all”, etc, and these are mostly used to heap reproaches or throw accusations at someone.

Generalization is a very common communication strategy nowadays. The truth is that it hurts not only the people we address these slogans at, but it also backfires on us, because by doing so, we are closing our mind even more. It’s very bad energy – yeah, generally speaking!

6. Getting offended or upset easily.

Many things, even the smallest ones, can offend a narrow-minded person. A girl in a bar who wore something they’d never dare; a friend’s friends who didn’t pay them the attention they think they deserve, a taxi driver who didn’t say “Thank you for the tip”, etc.

While it is normal to get ....ed of if an annoying situation is happening over and over again, there are days when we just get out of bed on the wrong side and then everything appears to be against us – from our colleagues and our boss to the elements outside. You are just a human being and it would be very narrow-minded of you to think that you’re not allowed to moan from time to time!

7. They’re dishonest and have trust issues.

These two usually go hand in hand. Obviously, I am not talking about situations when you don’t trust someone because your gut feeling is telling you not to, neither when your lack of trust is the result of a traumatic experience in the past.

In the circumstances described above, it’s absolutely understandable and OK to have certain reservations to people you meet for the first time. However, if you don’t trust anyone by default, perhaps it’s time to think things over. Some people are worth your trust and may feel offended if you keep them at bay.

8. Giving up on people too easily.

Narrow-minded people tend to part ways with their friends more easily than they can make new ones. And this is not because these people have done something terrible, but because they were not as perfect as their narrow-minded friend expected them to be.

They did well in pretty much everything; they were kind, respectful to you and funny, but they did that one single thing which overshadowed your whole relationship with that person. Here, we may argue that your reaction is a matter of maturity and perhaps that’s the case at times. Nonetheless, when you’re a grown up and still choose to focus on the negative things instead of the positive ones, you should reconsider your philosophy of life.

9. Live by their stereotypes.

They will listen to only one type of music, eat only food from their country even when they travel abroad, see only people within their social circle, etc. On the one hand, there is nothing wrong with preferring one thing over another as long as you’re happy. On the other hand, you’re the one who may miss out on different life opportunities. Narrow-mindedness is when you do that one thing and impose your preferences on those around you.

10. Having an agenda.

They call their friends only when they need something or they feel lonely because their partner is away. Otherwise, you don’t hear from them. They want you in their life only because you got something they want to make use of, or because hanging out with you will make them feel better about themselves.

The above are only some of the most typical characteristics of a narrow-minded character. In a way, we all are narrow-minded to a greater or lesser extent. Coming from a very judgmental society, it took me years to overcome my prejudices and learn not to get upset whenever I see people doing things in the way I’d never do. I still struggle at times. Nonetheless, it’s still worth the effort, because the more open-minded you become the better you feel about yourself.

And here is a small definition to nail it.

Narrow-minded people seldom think independently.

Instead, they prefer to repeat what they’ve heard. Open-minded people, on the other hand, prefer to use their best judgment before they decide to follow a particular trend or choose a role model.

From:  10 Traits Of Narrow-Minded People (iheartintelligence.com)

~ ~ ~ ~

When I read the above article – three things came to mind.

1.       The list is spot on for describing harmful and controlling cult-leaders.

2.       These characteristics also defined me when I was involved in a harmful and controlling cult for 12 years.

3.       Living post-cult I am endeavoring to leave any detrimental mental habits further and further behind me. 

... and some people wonder why I always have a blade somewhere on me when I'm outside my home.  There's another one in my wallet should I need a back up.  Keeps these types away from me.  Narrowminded people and I rarely get along. 

Just fired my doctor yesterday after silently putting up with 3 months of her crap.  (Knowing I can't live without my thyroid meds every day, since mine was removed.)  Easy enough to find a new one, but it's senseless for a doc to take me off 20 years of proven successful treatment and start from scratch, plus stop the meds I am on or cut the doses in half ... just because I am now 65?  Really?

Sorry, all of this has done nothing but make my Crohn's Disease flare up.  I gotta run.  LOL.  (No peeking while I'm gone!)

20 hours ago, BikerBabe said:

... and some people wonder why I always have a blade somewhere on me when I'm outside my home.  There's another one in my wallet should I need a back up.  Keeps these types away from me.  Narrowminded people and I rarely get along. 

Just fired my doctor yesterday after silently putting up with 3 months of her crap.  (Knowing I can't live without my thyroid meds every day, since mine was removed.)  Easy enough to find a new one, but it's senseless for a doc to take me off 20 years of proven successful treatment and start from scratch, plus stop the meds I am on or cut the doses in half ... just because I am now 65?  Really?

Sorry, all of this has done nothing but make my Crohn's Disease flare up.  I gotta run.  LOL.  (No peeking while I'm gone!)

If we should accidentally cross paths, please remind me of the blade you carry, so I can judge whether my conversation could possibly be construed as narrow minded. 

LOL.  It varies from day to day what blades I may have on me.  I have various sizes ... small clip on, buck, carpet fold up, one similar to a buck I got from a friend, my bayonet, or my spear.  :)   Never had any reason to use one, except for their intended purpose, cutting objects I need smaller.  My past rapes though, memories will pop up from time to time and it just makes me feel better to have a blade on me.  70's, 80's, 90's ... it will NEVER happen again.  

One of the beliefs I admired about TWI was VP’s saying; “you know, that you know, that you know, that you know!” I needed that mindset to function in life, because to me ,there were no gray when it came to God. At last, I had discovered the one true God and knew exactly what He demanded of me. Finally, I could function in life knowlng without a doubt, that TWI had God on their side, and I could refute what any other religion believed about God. My life was finally set before me thanks to PFAL. 
I was quite judgemental of others who did not jump on board TWI’s beliefs. How could they not see the absolute truth was right before them?

I had to be right about my belief in God and all other’s were wrong.

To be there was no wiggle room at all when it came to homo’s. They had to be eradicated from our presence.

I generalized about people being bad if they has any need in their life. After all, they only had to believe the Word and all would magically be set right.

if anyone believed anything about God that TWI didn’t agree with, it upset me. I didn’t sfow it but my mind had nothing but contemp for them.

Everyone was stereotyped by me as either a believer or non believer, depending on if the believed in PFAL.

But finally realizing my life was still lacking, even though I thought I was  believing God for the deliverence, nothing changed. I had to look at PFAL and realize it was not doing anything for me. 

Biker Babe,

I don’t know what to say.

I get uncomfortable even just hearing about rape…I believe in a person’s right to defend themselves…isn’t it crazy what’s going on with mass shootings and stabbings? I go out to restaurants or shopping now and I usually try to be more aware of what’s going on around me.

My wife had her thyroid removed last year. Getting old isn’t for sissies. We remind each other of the meds we have to take in morning and evening…weird about your doc changing meds regimen. My wife had a few run-ins with her doc a couple of years ago – and so she changed docs.

Thanks for your input on this thread!

Stayed Too Long,

sometimes I have a love / hate relationship with your posts. :confused:  :biglaugh:  let me explain...I love the challenge to my narrow-mindedness - cuz I know I need it – otherwise I’ll be a walking fossilized old coot – but I hate the actual discomfort of changing bad habits. These funky old shoes are sooooooooo comfortable :biglaugh:

All ten points seem to relate to how people relate to other people.  . .  As on observation.

Science is mentioned at the beginning but I wonder if that is misleading.  Why mention science?  . . . Does anyone use science for relating to others?

21 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

All ten points seem to relate to how people relate to other people.  . .  As on observation.

Science is mentioned at the beginning but I wonder if that is misleading.  Why mention science?  . . . Does anyone use science for relating to others?

It seems many people have these traits. Narrow-minded people everywhere. Not everyone, though.

Yeah. The science mention is awkward.

10 hours ago, Stayed Too Long said:

One of the beliefs I admired about TWI was VP’s saying; “you know, that you know, that you know, that you know!” I needed that mindset to function in life, because to me ,there were no gray when it came to God. At last, I had discovered the one true God and knew exactly what He demanded of me. Finally, I could function in life knowlng without a doubt, that TWI had God on their side, and I could refute what any other religion believed about God. My life was finally set before me thanks to PFAL. 
I was quite judgemental of others who did not jump on board TWI’s beliefs. How could they not see the absolute truth was right before them?

I had to be right about my belief in God and all other’s were wrong.

To be there was no wiggle room at all when it came to homo’s. They had to be eradicated from our presence.

I generalized about people being bad if they has any need in their life. After all, they only had to believe the Word and all would magically be set right.

if anyone believed anything about God that TWI didn’t agree with, it upset me. I didn’t sfow it but my mind had nothing but contemp for them.

Everyone was stereotyped by me as either a believer or non believer, depending on if the believed in PFAL.

But finally realizing my life was still lacking, even though I thought I was  believing God for the deliverence, nothing changed. I had to look at PFAL and realize it was not doing anything for me. 

It never ceases to amaze me the precise parallels between what is testified here and what I observed in the wierwille-licking family I once married into.

For years, before I found GSC, I just thought these people were uniquely focked up, twisted, delusional, yet otherwise very nice people.

They tried so, so hard to convert me. I always politely declined. But they just wouldn't stop.

Where there is division there is conflict. Where there is conflict there is disorder.

37 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

The way the article states it “ science has YET to answer” probably means so far science has not weighed in 

This is more in the disciplines of psychology and sociology 

4 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

The way the article states it “ science has YET to answer” probably means so far science has not weighed in 

This is more in the disciplines of psychology and sociology 

Right the soft sciences are not really science.  

The Bible uses stories, not mathematics, to relate.

On 1/26/2023 at 1:15 PM, T-Bone said:

Narrow-minded people seldom think independently.

And there you have cultism in a nutshell. Followers have delegated their responsibility for rational thought and self-determination to the cult leader and/or his successors. However, I believe that mindset can be overcome in many cases.

20 minutes ago, Rocky said:

That's a debatable claim. :wink2:

Many claim limit their perspective on what is scientifically knowable.

Wouldn't this be a form of narrow-mindedness?

Is there no knowledge outside of science?

I would think the soft sciences is where there is room to make this view fit.

12 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Stayed Too Long,

sometimes I have a love / hate relationship with your posts. :confused:  :biglaugh:  let me explain...I love the challenge to my narrow-mindedness - cuz I know I need it – otherwise I’ll be a walking fossilized old coot – but I hate the actual discomfort of changing bad habits. These funky old shoes are sooooooooo comfortable :biglaugh:

Those old boots can be very comfortable and often I hate to even wonder near the shoe store, because wanting that new shiny pair means opening the door, going in, trying them on, and having to get used to a totally different feel on my feet.
Sometimes the new clod hoppers are so stiff I can’t get them off fast enough and leave them for another day.
Occasionally the new fit isn’t too uncomfortable, so I leave them on, struggle through the break in period, and  after awhile they feel like the old shoes did. 
Although rare, the new ones sometimes fit better than the old ones, but do not bet your life on this occurring often.

Walking the earth day to day requires me putting on different shoes. If attemting to conquer a steep mountain my foot wear is a very sturdy pair of climbing boots. The boots will not do, however, when running in a 5K race for a local charity, as this requires a comfortable pair of running shoes. Finishing up the evening at the local square dance, a lighter pair of shoes without a lot of traction is needed.

Having multiple changes of shoes, still requires me to keep them in good shape. If the heels are worn down, a trip to the cobbler is needed to maintain top condition. Even then, possibly a new pair is in order that will allow me to accomplish my walking task better. 

The older I get the harder it has become to even look for those worn down heels. Just clogging along, dragging my feet and wearing the heals down further is quite easy. But then something jars my consciousness and once again I observe the condition of my foot wear. Walking is much more fun wearing the proper maintained footwear.

1 minute ago, Bolshevik said:

Many claim limit their perspective on what is scientifically knowable.

Wouldn't this be a form of narrow-mindedness?

Is there no knowledge outside of science?

I would think the soft sciences is where there is room to make this view fit.

I didn't say I wanted to debate it. Just that it's debatable. :wink2:

Fair questions, however.

5 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I didn't say I wanted to debate it. Just that it's debatable. :wink2:

Fair questions, however.

Just using a sounding board.  Life is on the interface of the known and the unknown.  Have one foot in each.  Two feet in one is rigid and two feet in the other is madness.

Although at commencement it's hard not to notice the science degrees are overwhelmingly soft. :biglaugh:

3 hours ago, Stayed Too Long said:

The older I get the harder it has become to even look for those worn down heels. Just clogging along, dragging my feet and wearing the heals down further is quite easy. But then something jars my consciousness and once again I observe the condition of my foot wear. Walking is much more fun wearing the proper maintained footwear.

I hear you on that one!

I got into walking/jogging 2 to 3 miles at least 4 times a week…I always wore good running shoes and put arch support inserts in them – have had bouts with plantar fasciitis…Then I did a dumb-a$$ thing – one morning didn’t want to get dressed – so I walked around our pool in my pjs and flip-flops for 45 minutes. Went inside – after about an hour it felt like I stepped on a nail in my right heel – and the nail was still in there. Had to go to a podiatrist again – got inserts that were stouter. That was October 2022. So, no long walks since then. I ride an exercise bike, do some stretches, and some light weights and core stuff...I love to walk and jog - so I'll probably get back into that routine eventually.

3 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Just using a sounding board.  Life is on the interface of the known and the unknown.  Have one foot in each.  Two feet in one is rigid and two feet in the other is madness.

Although at commencement it's hard not to notice the science degrees are overwhelmingly soft. :biglaugh:

"Life is on the interface of the known and the unknown"that's some tremendous insight right there, Bolshevik!