GreaseSpot Cafe

"I must be right because everyone is insisting I am wrong!"

WordWolf

12 hours ago, So_crates said:

So you're saying believing can be quantified? How?

In Engineering and Physics there is a concept called "duty cycle" that is can be used to measure things like this.

I just checked, and google explains it pretty well, and has graphics that help.  Here it is in words:  "A 60% duty cycle is a signal that is ON 60% of the time and OFF the other 40%."

*/*/*/*

11 hours ago, OldSkool said:

The end result of the law of believing is God is relegated to being a passive observer who has given all his blessings, health, and wealth to anyone who is focused enough on their own ability to claim it.

What I was taught is that when we use the law of believing for BIG JOBS that require supernatural power, God is far from passive.  The one operating the law of believing is INSTRUCTED TO BE PASSIVE until given the Word of knowledge, Word of wisdom, and discerning of spirits.  THEN the believer operates the manifestation of believing to act on the revelation give by God. God is very active in this process involving the law of believing and supernatural powers.

When we operate the law of believing for everyday living, the focus must be in the promises of God.  When we put God's Word in our mind He is active to perform it. He keeps track of who has His Word in their heads.  God is not at all passive around everyday applications of His words, laws, and principles.

*/*/*/*/*

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

What I was taught is that when we use the law of believing for BIG JOBS that require supernatural power, God is far from passive.  The one operating the law of believing is INSTRUCTED TO BE PASSIVE until given the Word of knowledge, Word of wisdom, and discerning of spirits.  THEN the believer operates the manifestation of believing to act on the revelation give by God. God is very active in this process involving the law of believing and supernatural powers.

When we operate the law of believing for everyday living, the focus must be in the promises of God.  When we put God's Word in our mind He is active to perform it. He keeps track of who has His Word in their heads.  God is not at all passive around everyday applications of His words, laws, and principles.

*/*/*/*/*

Yes we were all taught that also under the “manifestation of believing”

The more you inspect the “manifestation of believing” the more it looks like one more invented concept squeezing a single verse of scripture to say something it doesn’t say in Corinthians.

There is no iron man suit function that you have to press 3 buttons in sequence to perform the correct move like a video game.

Alt Ctrl X left left right down up down up.

First you press the button to “reach up into Daddy’s cookie jar”. Then you press the button of “extra special believing that involves God but not Mr Crowley”. And finally you get the “miracle” button lighted up to push.

The absent Christ must have written the assembly instructions in Chinese, because I have yet to see ANY leader in TWI show forth evidence of that particular iron man suit sequence being executed.  Somehow their “miracle” button never lights up.  Maybe we need a new class to interpret the Chinese iron man suit instructions.

21 minutes ago, Mike said:

In Engineering and Physics there is a concept called "duty cycle" that is can be used to measure things like this.

I just checked, and google explains it pretty well, and has graphics that help.  Here it is in words:  "A 60% duty cycle is a signal that is ON 60% of the time and OFF the other 40%."

*/*/*/*

*/*/*/*/*

You can rationalize that the moon is made of green cheese but it's not.

14 hours ago, Mike said:

YES or NO  three times

That's an isolated line, with no context.
Any particular reason for leaving out the other things he said on that?

Do you forget him saying that the law of believing SHOULD work much better for a saint who knows and rightly divides God's Word and promises?

If you DO remember it, why did you leave out that info?

13 hours ago, So_crates said:

Once again, it's often been stated that you believe or you don't. Under those circumstances, how would it work better for a Saint?

And just where does Saint  Vic say that, as I don't remember it?

13 hours ago, So_crates said:

Why would it be more logical for believers to use something that's binary better?

13 hours ago, Mike said:

I don't in any way buy the meme " you believe or you don't."

I am sorry you seem to have been given some bad teaching.  I am thankful I found teachers withing TWI that explained things.  I am glad I went back to the materials to get the details better than you seem to have them.

25 minutes ago, Mike said:

You got to ove it when they hang themselves.

You said you don't buy the you believe it or don't meme and that it was bad teaching.

What's the difference between believing on and believing off and you believe something or you don't?

Further, how does something that's binary favor believers?

24 minutes ago, So_crates said:

You got to ove it when they hang themselves.

You said you don't buy the you believe it or don't meme and that it was bad teaching.

What's the difference between believing on and believing off and you believe something or you don't?

Further, how does something that's binary favor believers?

19 minutes ago, waysider said:

...and then there was the man who was afraid of dying in a car crash.

"Why, If I was a bettin' man."

He's moved way beyond from defending wierwilles doctrines to twisting what wierwille said so he can appear correct. Mike seems to talk down to people as if he's an authority. So appearently admitting obvious error isn't in the cards. I'm pretty sure I'm just saying what Rocky's been saying all along...but anyway...here we go... 

58 minutes ago, Mike said:

God is very active in this process involving the law of believing and supernatural powers.

God is not at all involved in the law of believing. As an occultic practice I would say it's antithetical to his nature. God didn't give everything in a cookie jar where only the tall can reach. God doesn't ever support or teach the strong survive...that's actually luciferian in nature as is the law of believing. The lob wassnt even popularized until the 1800s, before that it wasn't accepted in Christology. Phineas Parkhurst Quimby was the brainchild and he taught Mary Eddy Baker the founder of Christian science.

The law of believing is Christian witchcraft.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, WordWolf said:

"As far as I'm concerned this is all a hot mess anyway - since there is no law of believing  :wink2:  "

Now, now,

that's unfair to all the witchcraft and magic practitioners out there.  They're entitled to try to alter reality with their thoughts. We've had readers and posters for whom that would apply.

How about a reality check! The only reason magic is extremely effective against Superman is because the writers at DC comics allow it. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OldSkool said:

God is not at all involved in the law of believing. As an occultic practice I would say it's antithetical to his nature. God didn't give everything in a cookie jar where only the tall can reach. God doesn't ever support or teach the strong survive...that's actually luciferian in nature as is the law of believing. The lob wassnt even popularized until the 1800s, before that it wasn't accepted in Christology. Phineas Parkhurst Quimby was the brainchild and he taught Mary Eddy Baker the founder of Christian science.

The law of believing is Christian witchcraft.

Raf writes the following about Part II: What We Believe = What We Are (from the Blue Book)

In the Greek, "faith" and "believing" are the same word. But in English, they are different words. The distinction in English is this:

"Believing" places the emphasis on the mental action of the person who believes.

"Faith" places the emphasis outside the person who believes and onto the person or thing that is believed.

For years we called ourselves "believers." The emphasis was on us. It would be wonderful if we also called ourselves "faithful" so that the emphasis could once again be placed on the One in whom we have faith: God. 

It is not "the law of believing" that controls the "abundant life." It is the Faithfulness of God to His Word that controls the abundant life. If God was not faithful to His Word, then we could BELIEVE His Word all we want, and it would profit us nothing. 

Note: Raf uses the context of John 10:10 shortly afterward to redine vp's definition of "abundant life."

Obviously, vp never said it was the law of “faith” since faith “places the emphasis outside the person who believes.”  The purpose of calling it the law of “believing” is to totally put the focus on us, the believer.  Therefore, in twi, not only is Jesus demoted below God, but according to the law of believing (which we’re supposed to have 24/7), God is demoted below us. A double whammy :smilie_kool_aid:.

Edited by Charity

On 1/31/2023 at 12:30 PM, chockfull said:

. . .

No your cult more resembles the KKK than it does Jesus followers.

. . .

The cult you follow is involved with making brass images of VPW and placing them in prominent places in life.  And then denying the idolatry by inventing “anti idol”.

. . .

Do we tear down this statue?  Or do we leave it?  Is it history?  Are we offended by history?

It may have been wrong but the cause was just, right?  

2 hours ago, Charity said:

Raf writes the following about Part II: What We Believe = What We Are (from the Blue Book)

In the Greek, "faith" and "believing" are the same word. But in English, they are different words. The distinction in English is this:

"Believing" places the emphasis on the mental action of the person who believes.

"Faith" places the emphasis outside the person who believes and onto the person or thing that is believed.

For years we called ourselves "believers." The emphasis was on us. It would be wonderful if we also called ourselves "faithful" so that the emphasis could once again be placed on the One in whom we have faith: God. 

It is not "the law of believing" that controls the "abundant life." It is the Faithfulness of God to His Word that controls the abundant life. If God was not faithful to His Word, then we could BELIEVE His Word all we want, and it would profit us nothing. 

Note: Raf uses the context of John 10:10 shortly afterward to redine vp's definition of "abundant life."

Obviously, vp never said it was the law of “faith” since faith “places the emphasis outside the person who believes.”  The purpose of calling it the law of “believing” is to totally put the focus on us, the believer.  Therefore, in twi, not only is Jesus demoted below God, but according to the law of believing (which we’re supposed to have 24/7), God is demoted below us.  Is that where vp's heart was?

Raf made some great points in his work and we arrived at nearly the same definitions independently of one another as well. What's being said on this topic is accurate.

35 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

I loathe when this happens (quote appearing twice).

39 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Raf made some great points in his work and we arrived at nearly the same definitions independently of one another as well. What's being said on this topic is accurate.

I edited my post to highlight the last paragraph. 

6 hours ago, chockfull said:

Yes we were all taught that also under the “manifestation of believing”

However, as has been discussed, pretty much all of us are starting to forgett a lot of the foundational material after about 10 years. Plus, this area was ripe for many of us NOT being ready to fully absorb all that we were taught on this. 

I saw MANY who failed to make sure of the link between what they were “believing for” and the promises of God.  I did this, but started realizing my error when I’d run across verses, like in James, where he talks about “asking amiss” and improper applications of believing in prayer.  This manifestation of believing was not easy to get the first several times around.

Too many of us forgot that the power was for helping others, and we tried to apply it to ourselves.  Yes, problems arose from this.

*/*/*/*

There is no iron man suit function that you have to press 3 buttons in sequence to perform the correct move like a video game.

Alt Ctrl X left left right down up down up.

First you press the button to “reach up into Daddy’s cookie jar”.

That kind of thinking was good FOR BEGINNERS.  With practice, these “training wheels” could be shed.  Then more attention could be given to empathy and care for whoever you were ministering to as these power manifestations were being operated.

It was not easy to keep track of all this stuff, and yet not drift from the focus of loving others and blessing them with the power.

Keeping our focus on helping others in love for God and them was always the key to keeping it genuine.  Jesus had to do it that way, too.

*/*/*/*/*/*

The absent Christ must have written the assembly instructions in Chinese, because I have yet to see ANY leader in TWI show forth evidence of that particular iron man suit sequence being executed.  Somehow their “miracle” button never lights up.  

I agree here. I’m not happy about it.

Again, I am including myself in this, but I mind picture of all us grads is that we never really finished taking/absorbing/implementing the Advanced Class.  Most of us are shaky (again?, or still?) on the worship manifestations.

A tiny hunch of mine is that the conspicuous absence of the Advanced Class being mentioned in VPW’s last teaching, is connected to this mind picture of mine. We were told TWICE in that teaching to master the Foundational and Intermediate classes, but the AC is not mentioned both times.

From all the trouble people here have UNDERSTANDING the Great Principle, this mind picture of mine is increasingly solidified.

*/*/*

But I agree, if a BIG miracle ever did originate from the top leadership, we’d all have heard about it.

I saw a lot of people claiming as the walked out of a hospital that their healing was a “miracle” as unbelievers walk out the same door with their “miracle” healing.

I saw lots of signs and wonders in the 1970s, and maybe even a miracle, but it is undeniable that saw NOT many mighty miracles were seen after TWI-2 phased in.

Most of what power I saw was associated with witnessing and running classes and splitting twigs, and that activity was hot and heavy in the 70s.

We had a brother then, let’s call his name George.  He was a super nice guy, always fun and laughing. A real joy to be around.  George had a fully withered arm; really a portion of a baby hand with some fingers that protruded a tiny bit from his shoulder. He could hide it easily with a shirt, but in the Summer it we could plainly see it.  He was active and got around,  and an unforgettable guy.

When we ran classes, just EVERYONE held their breath and wanted to see George miraculously healed.  I think he went WoW or maybe in the Corps, and lost contact with him ever since.  But I know for sure, that if George had ever gotten that arm build by a miracle, I would certainly have heard about it from all my old “first twig” contacts.  Word about George would have traveled fast, fast, fast.  I think there are still a dozen of us still alive and friends on Facebook.

*/*/*

I have thought long and hard about this scarcity of miracles. My hunch that we grads have not yet really graduated to that level yet is only part of my thinking.

The scarcity of miracles is universal, and not just in the failed TWI.  So the question becomes, why haven’t ANY groups of Christians in modern times gotten the same results that we see in Acts of the Apostles.

But then looking closer at Acts, it looks like the abundance of miracles was in spurts, and that most of the time they too experienced the same scarcity of miracles.  I am thinking out loud here.  Still working on all this.

At the very end of this thinking, I keep running into an odd idea I posted lately, but looks like it was lost in the shuffle of fast posting flurries.  It is the idea the God has limited Himself to a “budget” on miracles SO THAT He can best limit the devil to a budget on lying signs and wonders. 

Below is what I said about this idea on the Absent Christ thread, but no one commented on that I know of.  If you want see the context of this, it is from:
https://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/topic/25289-the-absent-christ/page/64/#comment-628547

I have noticed that God uses angels to do a lot of things. In one account of the burning bush it looks like it is God himself, inside the bush talking to Moses. (Let’s keep the topic unde-railed by Great Principle talk here. Moses probably got spirit before this.)

In another account it talks about an angel in the bush operating the Ham Radio for God to speak to Moses. (or something like that)

*/*/*/*

On the Mount of the Transfiguration, there was a vision of Moses and Elijah, but we don’t hear that it was a vision until after it’s over and Jesus told them to be quiet about it.  But that vision must have done a lot for them.  It was for their believing, and Jesus’ also. But it wasn’t really Moses and Elijah present and alive and conscious. It looked that way to teach them something.

*/*/*/*

I have long tracked with “what is Jesus doing up there” ever since before that 1970s Way Magazine article appeared with that title.  I was very eager to read it, but thought it did not go far enough, so I kept studying. 

I came to realize that Jesus took Lucifer’s place as a leader (or coordinator) of angels.

God used angels in the OT a lot.  There is an interesting account in the OT about this; I think in Daniel.   If that is right, Daniel was praying and praying for some help with something, and nothing happens for a long time. Suddenly one day an angel shows up, and says something like “I’m here to help. Sorry I’m so late. I was detained for weeks struggling with some ‘big guy’ out there.”

From this and many other scriptures, I get the impression that, though God has infinite power, He has limited His use of His power for various reasons, and must work within His own constructed framework. 

I get the impression He limits Himself to some kind of Intervention Budget, SO THAT He can limit the devil to the same budget. 

The spiritual battle in the OT is often one of God just barely winning, but often with an abundance of cleverness. 

When Jesus joined Him on His right hand, God’s budget in the spiritual battle got a big boost.  Jesus now co-ordinates the angels on that same budget the devil is limited to, and gets more done with the angels what got done in the OT. 

Edited by Mike

4 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Great article, Bolshevik ! Thanks - some really cool & relevant info!

excerpts from the article:

Champions of the Lost Cause
Obsession, defiance, grit: The line between indomitable genius and hopeless holdout is blurred. We all have the capacity to chase unlikely dreams, but for some people, the pursuit becomes its own reward.
By Kat McGowan...

...In truth, it's not easy to predict who will turn out to be a visionary and who a crank, says psychologist Angela Duckworth of the University of Pennsylvania, who studies the traits that lead to success. Geniuses and catastrophic failures share many of the same characteristics, including determination, intense concentration, passion, and a disregard for conventional wisdom. "And both are willing to persist when everyone else thinks it's a ridiculously low-probability idea," she adds.

Sometimes, the passion is fueled by pathological stubbornness or tragic obsession. A man who stands up to an exploding mountain is obviously taking grit a little too far. Other people get caught in narrow spirals of compulsion: Alcoholics and gamblers, for example, become fixed on self-destruction. Obsessive-compulsives and anorexics drive themselves relentlessly toward their idea of perfection—an impossible goal....

...Researchers who study the physiology of love distinguish between the first, passionate stages and the later, more settled and companionable forms of love, and they find that the first phases of love—the same ones that come on line during a crush—really do addle the brain. Early-stage love activates many of the same regions as do addictive drugs. Serotonin activity changes, fueling anxiety ("he didn't call me today!") and obsession ("I can't get her out of my mind!"). People in the first stages of love may have serotonin levels that are estimated to be as low as those with unmedicated obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Cortisol, the stress-related hormone that is activated to help the body prepare for challenges, also increases, finds Italian researcher Donatella Marazziti of the University of Pisa. Forming new bonds is stressful, and in a circular effect, these moderate levels of stress also drive attachment. Once formed, the attachment then eases the stress and anxiety. Intense, passionate new love mellows and ripens into comfortable partnership.

But that transition never happens for the obsessive suitor, who is denied the soothing effects of mature affection. Trapped in a neurochemical loop that reinforces the obsessive behavior, the lover is increasingly miserable and devoted to his or her goal.

This is the scenario of "frustration attraction," as described by the anthropologist Helen Fisher of Rutgers University. High levels of dopamine urge all lovers toward their expected reward: connection with the beloved. But for unrequited lovers, dopamine-producing neurons continue their elevated activity. Expectation rises, and the lover redoubles his efforts. For a few people—perhaps those who already have low serotonin—this neurochemical barrage turns ugly: Low serotonin is associated with impulsive violence. Many people have suffered from unrequited love, but only a few resort to stalking. The most persistent suitors may get stuck in a kind of chemical overdrive where others collapse into defeat and despair, suggests Fisher collaborator Lucy Brown, a neuroscientist at the Albert Einstein School of Medicine.

52 minutes ago, Mike said:

Too many of us forgot that the power was for helping others, and we tried to apply it to ourselves.  Yes, problems arose from this.

Bull$h!t. You have no idea how badly the law of beliving utterly failed when I tried to apply it to the letter for a healing scenario in my life. There was no stone I left unturned, I had clergy involved, I mean to the letter...it fell flat. It doenst work and its false doctrine. You have no idea what I have been through and its insulting asf for you to assume I tried to help myself with that garbage and thats why it doesnt work. I put what the way international teaches to the test on the law of believing and it failed. Its witch craft and occultism and you are ok with that. Actually, Im ok that you are ok with it. I have no vested interest in how deluded you truly are on account of living and defending false doctrines. Thats on you. 

2 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Bull$h!t. You have no idea how badly the law of beliving utterly failed when I tried to apply it to the letter for a healing scenario in my life. There was no stone I left unturned, I had clergy involved, I mean to the letter...it fell flat. It doenst work and its false doctrine. You have no idea what I have been through and its insulting asf for you to assume I tried to help myself with that garbage and thats why it doesnt work. I put what the way international teaches to the test on the law of believing and it failed. Its witch craft and occultism and you are ok with that. Actually, Im ok that you are ok with it. I have no vested interest in how deluded you truly are on account of living and defending false doctrines. Thats on you. 

I too have mind numbing frustrations with the law of believing in my life. I'm still dealing with one now. But I also have had a few things work for me, and a few understandings that others seem to have missed.

I know that Jesus taught rightly about believing and he did it and had great miracles with it.  He did it right.   Many do it incorrectly, or worse by getting into the devil's assistance in doing it very wrongly.

I am sure that the counterfeit strongly resembles the genuine.

It may be you see that resemblance, and you see the same title "The Law of Believing" was used before by hookey pook people and devilishly.  Those two associations may convince you that VPW missed the mark of the kind of power Jesus said was in believing, but they don't convince me.

I think this is similar to how MOMENTUS botched their handling of the manifestation of prophecy.  The turning of the focus from helping others to helping self was pretty apparent there.  Their "personal prophecy" turned from edification to mind control in a heartbeat.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I too have mind numbing frustrations with the law of believing in my life. I'm still dealing with one now. But I also have had a few things work for me, and a few understandings that others seem to have missed.

Arent you special. I spent over two years banging my head against a brick wall with the law of believing for my son's health. It doesnt work. You just admitted it but you are mind numbingly stubborn to persist in error as if you can reason error into truth.

6 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Arent you special. I spent over two years banging my head against a brick wall with the law of believing for my son's health. It doesnt work. You just admitted it but you are mind numbingly stubborn to persist in error as if you can reason error into truth.

Had something worked or not worked . . . it was opportunity for TWI to assert their dominance.  Take credit if things go well . . . feign disappointment if things don't . . . they have imaginary standards to uphold.

Mike just said "Yes problems arose from this" because he doesn't care.  The system is more important than the person.

(Someone else did care, and your son is doing much better?)

7 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Someone else did care, and your son is doing much better?

Yes! He's doing great. Around 5'8 and 195 and solid as a rock. He has my build, though Im much wider and heavier...thats what I get for lifting weights most of my life...:jump:

Just now, OldSkool said:

Yes! He's doing great. Around 5'8 and 195 and solid as a rock. He has my build, though Im much wider and heavier...thats what I get for lifting weights most of my life...:jump:

Nice!

Yes, I resort to my dead weight to assert my dominance here, too :biglaugh:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

For someone who pontificates on helping people, Mike seems more concerned with being right.

• Like 1