GreaseSpot Cafe

"I must be right because everyone is insisting I am wrong!"

WordWolf

5 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

So, there’s a distinction drawn between the devil and the Satan, between devilish and satanic

I'm totally ignorant on the Greek or Aramaic words for it, but I know the principle is one of "direct versus indirect,"  Indirect can have degrees of separation. 

Does that ring a bell?

Entropy may be the deepest example of the indirect, Satan, but I have only heard and entertained this idea a few times.

Something I have always wondered about is the why is Satan usually with a capital "s" and the devil with a lower case "d" ?

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Something I have always wondered about is the why is Satan usually with a capital "s" and the devil with a lower case "d" ?

Are there upper and lower case grammar rules in Greek or Aramaic languages? Otherwise, if it's just English, it would seem to be arbitrary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

2a126v.jpg

I’m going to stick my neck out and say I liked your post; it reminded me of a drive through zoo we did a couple of years ago - I had the moonroof open and a giraffe had its snout poking in! We didn’t have any stretched coffee to offer…oh well… the visit was awesome!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm totally ignorant on the Greek or Aramaic words for it, but I know the principle is one of "direct versus indirect,"  Indirect can have degrees of separation. 

Does that ring a bell?

Entropy may be the deepest example of the indirect, Satan, but I have only heard and entertained this idea a few times.

Direct or indirect based on what? Are you just regurgitating?

You left out Hebrew. The Satan first appears in Hebrew.

I’ll see what Heiser and others say. I’ll find out. 

25 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

So, there’s a distinction drawn between the devil and the Satan, between devilish and satanic

DTA class, 4 ways of Adversary's influence . . . Satan was said to be indirect influence through other people or environment

Course they also says he's the Prince and Power of the Air . . . Now we're talking about Kingdoms . . . Did his Daddy die?

Edited by Bolshevik
Devil's influence on spelling

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

Hoovering

Just to suck you back into the thread, a link to elaborate even further the many ways a person can suck.

Thanks for the reminder…when I was drafting that post I kept trying to remember that term …and was thinking Kirby Goes Bananas - no , that’s not it.

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Does that ring a bell?

Wierwille taught that the devil indicated a direct interaction, such as the devil tempting Jesus, where as satan was an indirect attack using the kingdoms of the world. Personally, I feel that such a disctinction is trivial at best and the various names simply emphasize attributes of the one named. Lucifer, devil, satan all have shades of meaning in scripture that are descriptive of lucifers nature.

12 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Did you get that notion from L Run Hubbard or Stephen King?

Never read either.

I think Jesus talked about it happening with him.

And I think this is also related to "the devil would not have crucified Jesus, had he known the mystery."

I've never thought about where I got that notion.  I think from just reading the KJV.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Never read either.

I think Jesus talked about it happening with him.

And I think this is also related to "the devil would not have crucified Jesus, had he known the mystery."

I've never thought about where I got that notion.  I think from just reading the KJV.

You know, had Jesus learned to hold onto resentment, he might never have been crucified, either.

14 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Are there upper and lower case grammar rules in Greek or Aramaic languages? Otherwise, if it's just English, it would seem to be arbitrary.

I think the English convention (like my spell checker) may not be that arbitrary, but it harkens back to the KJV being such a large presence in the language for centuries.  The translators may have had a reason for the upper and lower case designations?

25 minutes ago, Mike said:

Does that ring a bell?

What?  Your 25 years of collateral study have you completely unfamiliar with the DTA class in all of its formats?

Tell me it’s not so, Collateral Guru.

:biglaugh:

This means you can’t recite “The Great Prince’s Pull” from memory?

I am severely disappointed.  It’s so, so

juvenilely formulaiac.

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

I've never thought about where I got that notion.  I think from just reading the KJV

Uh huh. Or, could it be from  the great mystery revealed session in PFAL? I guess I could ask a grad but most have either forgotten or weren't paying attention.

8 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Kdl1ussmall.jpg

OMG! That is hilarious…I looked that up and found out from Wikipedia:

Kirby's main method of attack is to inhale enemies and objects into his mouth, after which the player can choose to swallow or spit them out as a star-shaped projectile attack. In addition to running and jumping, Kirby can fly by inflating himself with a mouthful of air and flapping his arms. Flying can be done indefinitely; however, while flying, Kirby's only method of attack is to release the air puff held in his mouth which cancels his flight.

44 minutes ago, chockfull said:

What?  Your 25 years of collateral study have you completely unfamiliar with the DTA class in all of its formats?

I took that class in 1974 or '75.   
My collateral study was 1998-2018.

Lots of new projects going on in the past 5 years.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, waysider said:

Uh huh. Or, could it be from  the great mystery revealed session in PFAL? I guess I could ask a grad but most have either forgotten or weren't paying attention.

I usually cite (1) forgotten or (2) not ready to fully absorb, but leave out (3) weren't paying attention.     Dale Carnegie inspired me to omit (3). 

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

I usually cite (1) forgotten or (2) not ready to fully absorb, but leave out (3) weren't paying attention.     Dale Carnegie inspired me to omit (3). 

Why did they not fully absorb? Could it have been because they weren't paying attention?

1 minute ago, waysider said:

Why did they not fully absorb? Could it have been because they weren't paying attention?

Possibly, but I like better the possibility that God was supplying the information early, knowing it would help later in life, even though we weren't mature enough for it at the time.