GreaseSpot Cafe

"I must be right because everyone is insisting I am wrong!"

WordWolf

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Possibly, but I like better the possibility that God was supplying the information early, knowing it would help later in life, even though we weren't mature enough for it at the time.

You mean like teaching your toddler how to do calculus?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, waysider said:

I just let my toddler imitate me while I am doing calculus...he'll need it when hes mature enough...

Edited by OldSkool

2 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

I just let my toddler imitate me while I am doing calculus...he'll need it when hes mature enough...

Spiritually mature enough . . . Life is a hero's journey . . . unless it's not

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I took that class in 1974 or '75.   
My collateral study was 1998-2018.

Lots of new projects going on in the past 5 years.

So you have neglected DTA?  What do you mean collateral’s?  Are not class syllabi collaterals?

We really need to talk specifics about your collateral idea.  I mean what is the canon of the collaterals?  Are there non-canonic collaterals?  Like the extra books in the Catholic Bible?  

10 minutes ago, chockfull said:

I tend to imitate your toddler and have regressed in calculus to the point of saying the area under the curve can find it’s own d@mn self.

:biglaugh:

Davie Byrne stated aptly that there is water at the bottom of the ocean. As for the curve...wellll....its great!

44 minutes ago, waysider said:

Yes.
And thanks for the opportunity to again INCLUDE MYSELF in all 3.

I definitely forgot some, was not mature enough for some, and was not paying attention for some.   I found this out when I went back to study the collaterals in 1998.   Then a few years later I could see it happened to all of us, when I came here.

44 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

I can trust God with that kind of future planning, but I'm not sure that plan of yours will work all that well.   But the integers may be a good place to start with toddlers.

48 minutes ago, chockfull said:

So you have neglected DTA?  What do you mean collateral’s?  Are not class syllabi collaterals?

We really need to talk specifics about your collateral idea.  I mean what is the canon of the collaterals?  Are there non-canonic collaterals?  Like the extra books in the Catholic Bible?  

In VPW's last, last teaching he tells us (twice) to master the foundational and the intermediate classes, and the written materials that come with them.

That is one clue to the PFAL canon.  I take it to include Way Mag articles because a subscription came with the class. 

I took it as very significant that this most important teaching completely fell thru the cracks.  I was 15 years late in seeing it. I did an informal poll that told me 99% of all non-Corps grads had no idea it existed.  I regard the extremely poor handling of this teaching to be a colossal top leadership failure, and I see it as the most clear example of a total failure by the top leadership. I regard this teaching as THE smoking gun to tell us what went wrong.

So the rough handling of this teaching is a good indication to me that it's contents are very significant.  This looks like it might be another variation on this thread's theme.

*/*/*/*

The PFAL canon has other anomalies, but I have not had time to work on them much.  It is an open subject for me.  I have recently mentioned this here before.  

Edited by Mike

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

I just remembered that my father did something a little similar.  When I was 11 years old he would ask me to help him balance his check book.   I think he was really trying to give me real world practice with number crunching, and detailed inventories.  He first had me order the cancelled checks by check number, then we'd compare what the bank saw with what he saw in his records.  He would tell me how mom might forget to record a check at times and the associated detective work.   We would double check his subtractions if it didn't balance yet, to make sure they were accurate.  If the balance was off, but pretty close he "do a delta" which is Engineering terms for recording the difference and seeing what happened the next month. 

The delta stuff was really mystifying, but all through the many steps involved in this I was TOTALLY in the dark as to what we were doing and why.  I just focused on each step and dad's instructions.  After a couple years I understood some of it. 

Years later, when I got my first checking account, the deltas suddenly made sense!   All the steps we took made total sense when I was ready to use it.

I was not a toddler, though.  However, some people insist the balancing a checkbook is harder than calculus.

9 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Dig that...neither is new Knoxville cause according to them they're not part of the world.

You don't burst out singing during your noon meal?

. . . I wonder how much singing helps quell doubtful thoughts

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Dig that...neither is new Knoxville cause according to them they're not part of the world.

Yeah it's a spiritual distinction 

Being absent but not absent.

May confuse the casual student of da verd.

Edited by Bolshevik
I never make mistakes

23 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

You don't burst out singing during your noon meal?

. . . I wonder how much singing helps quell doubtful thoughts

Well I might but I no longer do a noon meal...I usually eat lunch...but at a noon...roll away roll away roll away every burden...see never know when I might start 

7 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Well I might but I no longer do a noon meal...I usually eat lunch...but at a noon...roll away roll away roll away every burden...see never know when I might start 

Roll away . . .

I often carry more than 3 dishes at time back to the sink now . . .

. . . And when I'm feeling really salty I just leave it all there and do whatever I want