GreaseSpot Cafe

Did VPW think he understood the Bible better than the writers?

Bolshevik

2 hours ago, OldSkool said:

I distinctly remember them saying that their research methods are based on inductive reasoning. And I distinctly remember at other times the way international saying that scripture isn't subjective but objective because it intreprets itself. 

This interesting. 

We know nobody but them is allowed to apply that.  So they are lying.  We know that much.  Oldes posted a link about Catholic leaders claiming authority over interpretation.  Sounds similar?  But at least the Roman Catholics just say exactly what they mean on that topic . . . it sounds to me.

Scripture is not an conscious entity that it can literally explain itself.  So what does "scripture interprets itself" mean?

There's a writer.  There's a reader.  . . . someone else could read and orate to a listener.  You could write about the writing and a reader could read about what's written.

"scripture interprets itself" - does this ignore general consensus among a population about what it means?  Does scripture exist independent of people?

29 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Hmm.

You know, TWI claims to focus on the Bible.  We know that's BS.  It's a red herrings for their own Rosie fox glasses.

So the snow on the gas pumps, 

It's a claim to reset Christianity.  It's tabula rasa, blank slate thinking.

Blank slate comes up in other philosophy, I think.

Which is the only reason I quote scripture in relation to the way international is to show how they say they apply scripture but when u compare...yeah...they def. don't.

3 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Which is the only reason I quote scripture in relation to the way international is to show how they say they apply scripture but when u compare...yeah...they def. don't.

If a person is following TWI, they are consenting to the idea of "Resetting Christianity" . . . starting from scratch.  Dismissing all of history.  Dismissing all the noise and claiming to see clearly.

VPW and TWI just sort of began and nothing went before?

I think you've pointed out Word Faith as something that came before.  There's a long history there.  Maybe centuries.  Maybe millennia.

3 part being . . . that is an ancient idea . . . Gnosticism, right?

Becoming a god, Word-Faith?  Ancient idea

Mike keeps discussing how to read The Bible through the copied works of VPW, VPW copied ancient ideas.

TWI didn't invent rose colored glasses.  Ancient idea.  

. . . Reading the Bible beyond the text . . .

5 minutes ago, waysider said:

I want to say TWI is a blip on the radar screen of Christianity, but I don't want to disparage radar screens.

VPW was hard to listen to, impossible to read, and he had a very punchable face.  Charismatic he was not.

I attribute his "success" to the drug culture of the 60s.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Did VPW think he understood the Bible better than the writers?

Probably VPW thought he understood the Bible better than God, who made the means for the papyrus or paper, the ink and the quill or whatever, with which the Bible was written.

But whatever VPW thought is irrelevant to understanding the Bible, so just forget about him.

• Upvote 1