GreaseSpot Cafe

On God-Breathed Scriptures

47 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

This statement claims PFAL was God-breathed.  That is out of left field.

Seriously guys.

Seriously.

How the F!@! am i supposed to have an intelligent conversation with someone showing such a deliberate lack of intelligence. How? HOW?

What does it mean to be God-Breathed, beyond the standard  explanation of being God inspired or given by revelation? If something originated with God, it would seem to me that it should be free of flaws. That obviously doesn't describe the Bible we have come to know or the PFAL class. Is the ambiguity intentional? It's hard to know.

Just now, waysider said:

What does it mean to be God-Breathed, beyond the standard  explanation of being God inspired or given by revelation? If something originated with God, it would seem to me that it should be free of flaws. That obviously doesn't describe the Bible we have come to know or the PFAL class. Is the ambiguity intentional? It's hard to know.

I don't understand inspiration and revelation as meaning hearing voices and such.  I'm not picturing a sentient being sending a message or anything.  

I don't understand why something would not be free of flaws?  That's not how things evolve.

See Waysider there are some points missing here if I am to interpret.  Maybe I didn't hold VPW quite to them same regard.  

3 minutes ago, waysider said:

I wasn't involved at that time. Can you elaborate?

When his daughter went to school LCM went beserk.  I think I heard a baseball bat was involved.  

This led to items like Bowling Green, and I was in a constant fight to justify getting an education.

To be brief.

Is it multisyllabic words? Is that what stumps you? When you hear "Good morning," do you get upset because it's not morning in Japan? Unless it is morning in Japan? 

When you watch Law & Order, do you get worked up because police departments aren't necessarily "law" and courts are not necessarily "order"?

Do you park on parkways and drive on driveways because that's what they're named dammit!?

The Bible being free from flaws and from God.

That's nonsense.

Of course it has flaws.  Inspired by God doesn't mean from God?

God-Breathed does not mean God spoke to people and they wrote stuff down?  That's the association in PFAL?

1 minute ago, Bolshevik said:

The Bible being free from flaws and from God.

That's nonsense.

Of course it has flaws.  Inspired by God doesn't mean from God?

God-Breathed does not mean God spoke to people and they wrote stuff down?  That's the association in PFAL?

Yeah, that's the general idea behind the Way version.

In the PFAL class, VPW says "God had a purpose for everything he said...where He said it, when He said it, how he said it, yada, yada, yada."

So then why are there errors and contradictions? Yeah, I know, "they only APPEAR to be errors and contradictions." Well, if he had the power and ability to breath something pure, why did He allow mankind's fallibility to contaminate the finished product? Likewise with PFAL. If it was God Breathed, why did He allow such simple things as geography errors to enter the final text?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, waysider said:

Yeah, that's the general idea behind the Way version.

In the PFAL class, VPW says "God had a purpose for everything he said...where He said it, when He said it, how he said it, yada, yada, yada."

So then why are there errors and contradictions? Yeah, I know, "they only APPEAR to be errors and contradictions." Well, if he had the power and ability to breath something pure, why did He allow mankind's fallibility to contaminate the finished product? Likewise with PFAL. If it was God Breathed, why did He allow such simple things as geography errors to enter the final text?

He breathed the breath of life in man's nostrils and yet we became corrupted. I feel it's an unrealistic expectation to think the Bible is perfect because its inspired of God through imperfect beings, us. 

2 Timothy 2:16,17

But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. 17And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; 18Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some

Wierwille has cobbled books together based on profane and vain babblings such as the law of believing, etc. That  people's trust in God/scripture is overthrown should be no surprise. 

Edited by OldSkool
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

He breathed the breath of life in man's nostrils and yet we became corrupted. I feel it's an unrealistic expectation to think the Bible is perfect because its inspired of God through imperfect beings, us. 

2 Timothy 2:16,17

But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. 17And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; 18Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some

Wierwille has cobbled books together based on profane and vain babblings such as the law of believing, etc. That  people's trust in God/scripture is overthrown should be no surprise. 

There is no basis for rejecting PFAL as God-breathed that does not apply equally to scriptures that have been considered God-breathed since there was a canon.

Is the God-Breathed here implying perfection in both instances?

If you reject PFAL as perfect . . . which you should

You can reject The Bible as perfect . . . which you should

(but I don't think God-Breathed in the Bible is intended to be interpreted as perfectionist - that's came from somewhere else)

I can accept that something divinely-inspired doesn't necessarily need to be perfect.

How does one know if something is divinely-inspired? Is one of the criteria that it must only come from the ancient Near East written by Jews? 

I generally believe that anything or anyone proclaiming to be of God or by God or from God or inspired by God is certainly NOT. Those proclamations are for story tellers and story readers/hearers -- a device employed to advance narrative.

Maybe it all comes down to the question: What is God?  But this, it seems to me, is an absurd question that can never be answered on an internet discussion board.

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

There is no basis for rejecting PFAL as God-breathed that does not apply equally to scriptures that have been considered God-breathed since there was a canon.

Is the God-Breathed here implying perfection in both instances?

If you reject PFAL as perfect . . . which you should

You can reject The Bible as perfect . . . which you should

(but I don't think God-Breathed in the Bible is intended to be interpreted as perfectionist - that's came from somewhere else)

"God breathed" does not mean perfect unless you want it to. Of course, if it means perfect, it is as easy to show the Bible is not God breathed as it is to show PFAL is not God breathed.

But I submit that if you reject PFAL as god-breathed on any basis, that basis, when applied to the Bible, will disqualify it as well.

Edited by Raf

14 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I can accept that something divinely-inspired doesn't necessarily need to be perfect.

How does one know if something is divinely-inspired? Is one of the criteria that it must only come from the ancient Near East written by Jews? 

I generally believe that anything or anyone proclaiming to be of God or by God or from God or inspired by God is certainly NOT. Those proclamations are for story tellers and story readers/hearers -- a device employed to advance narrative.

Maybe it all comes down to the question: What is God?  But this, it seems to me, is an absurd question that can never be answered on an internet discussion board.

What I understand now is there were many books circulating among the early Church.  Being widely circulated was one criteria to become canon.  

This is where TWI and "truth vs tradition" nonsense comes in to confuse matters.

There was a body of people with traditions and practices who could look at a book and say, "yes, this follows what we are already doing" . . . or not.

The Bible doesn't stand alone, tradition is necessary and part of its making.  I think a cohesive group is more likely to know if something is sacred to them than the thing itself would know.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Raf said:

"God breathed" does not mean perfect unless you want it to. Of course, if it means perfect, it is as easy to show the Bible is not God breathed as it is to show PFAL is not God breathed.

But I submit that if you reject PFAL as god-breathed on any basis, that basis, when applied to the Bible, will disqualify it as well.

I'm trying to understand your question;

If you reject PFAL as god-breathed on any basis

vs

If you reject PFAL on any basis

Is there a difference?  god-breathed remains undefined?

To me, rejection of PFAL is caused by a rejection of the people, the followers of The Way, since they go hand in hand.  

18 minutes ago, waysider said:

Exactly. If someone claims to not be a follower of The Way, but still clings to PFAL, they're still a follower of The Way.

"If it walks like a duck........"

Ok.  I can't see anyone picking up PFAL without coercion in the first place.  No contact is often the best practice when dealing with Wayfers.

Many Western values are often cited to have their source in Christianity . . . you don't have to be a Christian . . . but the social values in culture may still be retained . . . this rejection seems to be of a different flavor than with PFAL.

Edited by Bolshevik
it's all a post, or it's not a post at all

1 hour ago, Raf said:

Wierwille being full of $h!t disqualifies the Bible as God breathed?

Edited by OldSkool

5 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Wierwille being full of $h!t disqualifies the Bible as God bible as God breathed?

This phrasing is a bit unclear to me. Was it caused by a typo or something?

edit: Not the $h!t part. I get that.

Edited by waysider
  • Like 1

OK, I see what you mean now.

No, it's not Wierwille's excrement holding capacity that is in question. That part is indisputable.

The idea is that, if something is shown to be prone to conflicting, erroneous content, be it PFAL, The Little Train That Could or the Bible, it disqualifies itself from a God Breathed designation.