GreaseSpot Cafe

Ghee Clarified Butter

Stayed Too Long

I have recently been doing some frying with Ghee Butter. It has a nutty smell and taste that adds a distinctive flavor to the food. Unlike regular butter that soon fries away, clarified butter does not. The process of making Ghee removes the moisture and other impurities from the butter, which allows it to become an oil with a higher flash point than butter. 

In the warmer weather I use it on my flattop griddle instead of vegetable oil to fry burgers and steaks. 
To make Ghee bring butter to the point of boiling which will cause bubbles to appear. The bubbles will soon disappear and the butter now becomes clarified butter. Allow it to continue boiling and will soon turn brown. This is the point you now have Ghee. Then I pour it through a paper filter into a jar to use it in frying.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 1:09 PM, Stayed Too Long said:

I have recently been doing some frying with Ghee Butter. It has a nutty smell and taste that adds a distinctive flavor to the food. Unlike regular butter that soon fries away, clarified butter does not. The process of making Ghee removes the moisture and other impurities from the butter, which allows it to become an oil with a higher flash point than butter. 

In the warmer weather I use it on my flattop griddle instead of vegetable oil to fry burgers and steaks. 
To make Ghee bring butter to the point of boiling which will cause bubbles to appear. The bubbles will soon disappear and the butter now becomes clarified butter. Allow it to continue boiling and will soon turn brown. This is the point you now have Ghee. Then I pour it through a paper filter into a jar to use it in frying.

I also have joined the Ghee club.

I love it on cast iron.  Because as you said the higher flash point.  But it tastes like grass if used straight.  By grass I mean the green stuff the cows eat.  

Almost sounds like you're making roca or toffee, which sounds yummy.

6 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I love it on cast iron.  Because as you said the higher flash point.  But it tastes like grass if used straight.  By grass I mean the green stuff the cows eat.  

If you're using butter made from grass fed cows, right?

8 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

What do you  mean by: “Amost sounds like you’re making roca or toffee….?” No, I am talking about making Ghee.

2 minutes ago, Stayed Too Long said:

What do you  mean by: “Amost sounds like you’re making roca or toffee….?” No, I am talking about making Ghee.

Some people heat butter in a pan to browwn to make a sugar free candy.

I love ghee.  Clarified butter.  Big fan.

• 2 weeks later...

What's your yield, from, say, 1lb of butter?  

I've seen some commercially, listed thus: 

Ingredients

Milk Fat (99.8%) Ethyl Butyrate 0.01%

Ethyl Butyrate appears to be a flavour enhancer but although it appears in some fruits naturally, it also isn't a healthy product.  Maybe it occurs naturally in ghee?  Any comments, anyone?

7 hours ago, Twinky said:

Ingredients

Ethyl Butyrate appears to be a flavour enhancer but although it appears in some fruits naturally, it also isn't a healthy product.  Maybe it occurs naturally in ghee?  Any comments, anyone?

You should expect a yield of about 80%. But almost all of that “loss” is water. European style butter has a higher butterfat content than American butter. The higher the butterfat, the higher the yield.

I don’t think yield is the point, though. Even when using the best organic grass-fed butter you can afford, it’s still cheaper and and more wholesome than store bought ghee.

Ghee is SOOOO easy to make. Store bought ghee is SOOOO expensive and has additives like ethyl butyrate… WTF?

Buying a jar of ghee is like buying a jar of roux. It makes no sense to me. It just seems a silly marketing trick, like labeling  orange juice “gluten free.”

I just made some sourdough English muffins and used ghee to brown them. The recipe calls for the muffins to be finished in a skillet and not baked in an oven. I spread ghee on one side of the muffin and began frying it. After about 3 minutes I applied ghee to the opposite side of the muffin and fried it. They browned very nice, were crispy, and tasted quite good.

• 5 months later...
On 3/14/2023 at 7:25 AM, Twinky said:

Ingredients

ah, yes.  Rancid Butter.  Have to look up a few Firesign Theatre references to make sense of this..  have to look for the Electrician or Somebody like Him for the answer..

On 3/15/2023 at 12:42 AM, Stayed Too Long said:

I recently bought a pound of butter for $2.95 and it yielded a little less than a full pint canning jar of ghee. There is very little waste making ghee and it is much cheaper than the cost on Amazon, ranging from $9 to $35. 

Holy Smokes- that is a high price for rancid butter.

On 2/27/2023 at 2:14 PM, Bolshevik said:

cast iron certainly is helpful..  just hit the bacteria laden soup with enough heat, and All is Well.  :)

Generally, I have avoided Ghee.  I buy the butter on a discount, and then freeze it.  Frozen butter, little bacterial growth, no Buterates, hence, no Ghee.  The butter is nice on sprouted breads in the morning with a little bit of local honey.

Sorry to ruin an otherwise useful recipe thread.

• 3 weeks later...

sowy.. i've listened to too much Firesign Theater..  the topic just hit an obscure point of my insanity..

Still.  Ghee is nothing but rancid butter.. just enough though.  Nicely aged.

Hope the recent comments are  entertaining enough.  God Bless you Friend..