GreaseSpot Cafe

Religion Demands Acceptance of the Unprovable

9 hours ago, Raf said:

No, it does not. It contains a mythology

Do you have references? Im interested if you do. I don't think either of will progress beyond our points of view. We're both rocking some bias too...I'm biased via a faith based point of view that scripture is true...your biased that it's all myths and fables. Likely a topic we're going to agree to disagree on.

1. The Jefferson Bible is basically the teachings of Jesus stripped of all supernatural inferences and references. Save ypur money. I'm positive it's available online.

2. Why do I need references but the Bible doesn't? Evidence that I am wrong would change my mind. Why declare before researching that it would not change yours?

Edited by Raf

5 minutes ago, Raf said:

1. The Jefferson Bible is basically the teachings of Jesus stripped of all supernatural inferences and references. Save ypur money. I'm positive it's available online.

Why do I need references but the Bible doesn't? Evidence that I am wrong would change my mind. Why declare before researching that it would not change yours?

Thx, but just ordered one from Amazon for 5 bucks.   

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Raf said:

2. Why do I need references but the Bible doesn't?

As a courtesy to me who is having a friedly conversation with you so I can look at specifically what you are studying. Look, Im out.

ah, ok. i'll post links when I get to a computer rather than my phone. 

But I think you mistook my point for antagonism. You asked about the value of corroborating sources for the Bible's claims, then demonstrated the value by asking me for references. That's the point I was trying to make.

For simplicity's sake I would just plug the keywords into wikipedia and see what pops up. Here's Joshua and Ai:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ai_(Canaan)#:~:text=The Ai (Hebrew%3A הָעַי%2C,day archeological site Et-Tell.

15 hours ago, Raf said:

Context: we're talking about religion compelling people to believe the unprovable, not why people read the Bible.

Excellent question, OldSkool.

The answer is: to an extent. It really depends on the claim being made.

It should be noted that historicity is crucial to the truth claims of Christianity. If these things didn't happen, then Christianity is false regardless of the morals and priciples it teaches. Take the good and cherish it. Take the silliness and trash it.

Homework: Read the preceding paragraph. Then read the Jefferson Bible. Then read the preceding paragraph again. Repeat until it hits you.

Anyway, where were we? Oh yeah:

I would not expect independent verification of some things. Others, yeah, there'd better be corroboration.

For example, we know King David existed. We also know the size and influence of his kingdom was a wee bit exaggerated.

We know Nebuchadnezzar existed. We know Daniel did not. The book of Daniel claims Belshazar was king and that he was Nebuchadnezzar's son. Neither is true. Daniel is no more real than the Kent family in the John Jakes novels: a fictional character interacting with real people from history to tell a compelling tale.

Moses? No more real than Perseus. Egypt kept records, man. 

I got interrupted and you posted again while I was writing, so I'll stop here and read and respond if necessary.

Okay I’m hung up here on your comment about “historicity”.  That is not in my common vocabulary so I searched out some terms.

As a conclusion I would state I do not agree that historicity is crucial to truth claims about Christianity.

Also you state the book of Daniel is proven not to exist.  However it seems like you missed a source referred to in the following article:

https://www.thedestinlog.com/story/lifestyle/faith/2017/06/15/have-you-wondered-is-bible-historically-accurate/985681007/

That author seems to have an exact opposite perspective you do on historicity.

This again seems to be a fundamentalist thought pattern source of a problem.

So I would conclude my faith is not based on either your version or that authors version of “historicity”.

54 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Is the Jefferson Bible the translation for fundamentalist atheists?

The Jefferson Bible was an abridgment of the gospels for his personal use. I wouldn't call it atheist in any sense, but it is certainly rationalist.

45 minutes ago, Raf said:

The Jefferson Bible was an abridgment of the gospels for his personal use. I wouldn't call it atheist in any sense, but it is certainly rationalist.

Jefferson, like many Freemasons/Deists/etc liked what they quantify as Jesus morals, and they extol his moral character: which is no doubt noteworthy. But they also reject the notion of most supernatural events recorded in scripture including the concept of the blood of Jesus, etc.

Edited by OldSkool

32 minutes ago, Raf said:

I think the Destin Log article is, to put it delicately, laughable. It's on par with Wierwille's history of the Trinity in JCING. It will take some time to unpack.

Emotional terms like “laughable” don’t contribute to your position of science and fact very effectively.

Point out the correct source then for comparison sake.

Here’s more on Daniel

https://www.julianspriggs.co.uk/pages/Daniel_4

I concur RAF that this archeological thread and logic is not simple.   But to claim it is proven not to exist is not intellectually honest IMO.

I am trying to find more info on this thread.  The essence of it as I am understanding is that there was a discovery of a tablet by a 19th century historian that is presumed to be a journal entry explaining the last part of the kings reign corresponding to the illness described in Daniel 4.  Was it part of the prophecy and repentance the Bible claims in the book of Daniel?  Or not?

Edited by chockfull

5 hours ago, chockfull said:

Emotional terms like “laughable” don’t contribute to your position of science and fact very effectively.

Point out the correct source then for comparison sake.

Oh trust me that is exactly where I am going.

17 hours ago, Raf said:

Yes.  Your mention of Jefferson motivated me to retrieve a book that I had in the house but haven't read in years, "In God We Trust -- the religious beliefs and ideas of the American Founding Fathers."  In it contains quite a chapter on Jefferson... a little over 100 pages.  Another Chapter is devoted solely to the Jefferson - Adams letters.   Here's a nice quote among many about Jefferson:

"To his good friend Benjamin Rush he wrote that his religious beliefs were the "result of a life of inquiry and reflection, and are very different from the Anti-Christian system attributed to me by those who know nothing of my opinions.  To the corruptions of Christianity I am indeed opposed, but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself.  I am a Christian, but I am a Christian in the only sense in which I believe Jesus wished anyone to be, sincerely attached to his doctrine in preference to all others; ascribing to him all human excellence, and believing that he never claimed any other." 

2 hours ago, oldiesman said:

Yes.  Your mention of Jefferson motivated me to retrieve a book that I had in the house but haven't read in years, "In God We Trust -- the religious beliefs and ideas of the American Founding Fathers."  In it contains quite a chapter on Jefferson... a little over 100 pages.  Another Chapter is devoted solely to the Jefferson - Adams letters.   Here's a nice quote among many about Jefferson:

"To his good friend Benjamin Rush he wrote that his religious beliefs were the "result of a life of inquiry and reflection, and are very different from the Anti-Christian system attributed to me by those who know nothing of my opinions.  To the corruptions of Christianity I am indeed opposed, but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself.  I am a Christian, but I am a Christian in the only sense in which I believe Jesus wished anyone to be, sincerely attached to his doctrine in preference to all others; ascribing to him all human excellence, and believing that he never claimed any other." 

Thomas Jefferson was a deep thinker and planner.  I have been on his home tour in Monticello.  He was so far ahead of his time in engineering plans on that place it’s crazy.

I’m sure his views on philosophy religion and Christ were nuanced.  I would have loved to have a conversation with that guy.

1 hour ago, chockfull said:

Thomas Jefferson was a deep thinker and planner.  I have been on his home tour in Monticello.  He was so far ahead of his time in engineering plans on that place it’s crazy.

I’m sure his views on philosophy religion and Christ were nuanced.  I would have loved to have a conversation with that guy.

Long video but goes in depth.

Going to watch before commenting this time.

Partway through Thomas Paine and recognizing how dangerously close to political content we are. I opened the door by talking about the Jefferson Bible in the context of this thread topic. But careful.

Edited by Raf

1 hour ago, Raf said:

Going to watch before commenting this time.

Partway through Thomas Paine and recognizing how dangerously close to political content we are. I opened the door by talking about the Jefferson Bible in the context of this thread topic. But careful.

Yeah...I'm not into politics. I have no feelings for the founding fathers one way or another, but I do recognize what I opened the door for, so my apologies in advance: not my intent.