GreaseSpot Cafe

Kristin Du Mez, author of Jesus and John Wayne

Rocky

Rocky, thanks for posting these YouTubes! I’ve got to read her book! I the second video she references a  book Wild at Heart , which I read a long time ago – but what was so captivating was her retelling of how that book prodded her research mind to trace how Christianity got coopted into fractious trends.

To me the big ideas in her talks are extremely fascinating – and something that has intrigued me for a long time – matter of fact, not long after I left TWI I came up with some 20 topics of wierwille doctrine to look into. One of them was a SN Teaching tape by wierwille on Romans 13 – he had taught the higher powers were the gift ministries. Got into that recently on the Craig has offshoot thread – and not intending to get into politics there or here – and even after much study and looking at legitimate scholarly works on Romans 13 – it’s still a difficult and complicated concept to wrap my mind around. I believe things like free will, marriage and government are basic social foundations instituted by God. The first one – free will – has the major role in any social setting – be it marriage, family, society, governing. What Romans 13 indicates is that we should remember who assigned us the job of governing ourselves – God! He never specified what type of government it should be. If we find any faults in the system – it goes back to the people who design it and manage it – humankind’s free will does have its share of shortcomings.

I’ve come across another term – Christian Nationalism – which seems akin to Kristin Du Mez’s White Evangelicalism – and this all reminds me of some of the influences in manifest destiny . I can’t wait to read Du Mez’s book! Thanks again for sharing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T-Bone said:

I’ve come across another term – Christian Nationalism – which seems akin to Kristin Du Mez’s White Evangelicalism – and this all reminds me of some of the influences in manifest destiny . I can’t wait to read Du Mez’s book! Thanks again for sharing.

Yes, it is.

From an outsider's PoV, I find American Evangelism frankly embarrassing.  Or worse. 

Evangelical?  They are NOT promoting any Christian message, not one that Christ, or God, would recognise.   Evangelising for the Devil, maybe.  Their actions belie their words.  They may be "sincere," but their basis is a "challenging counterfeit," if anything.  Many are deceived.  I wonder if they read their bibles for themselves, or only read selected passages, and those through SBU tinted glasses.

Haven't had time to listen to the second video yet.  One for the To Do list.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Twinky said:

Haven't had time to listen to the second video yet.  One for the To Do list.

Quite understandable. I generally stay away from videos that long, at least on discussion/lecture type formats.

This one, I started listening and found it quite compelling.

11 hours ago, Twinky said:

I find American Evangelism frankly embarrassing.  Or worse. 

As do I. Embarrassing is maybe too kind of a word for how I see it. :wink2:

Edited by Rocky
too

7 hours ago, Twinky said:

Be interested in your view, and your take-away from the book.

So far, I'm impressed with how Du Mez isn't rehashing current history but providing intriguing insight shedding light on how women's points of view, voices, and such had been silenced by evangelical teachings and practice. Highly readable as opposed to boring academic speak.

For example, (page 12)

The evangelical consumer marketplace was by then [1970s] a force to be reckoned with, but this expansive media network functioned less as a traditional soul-saving enterprise and more as a means by which evangelicals created and maintained their own identity--an identity rooted in "family values" and infused with a sense of cultural embattlement. 

Christian publishing, radio, and television taught evangelicals how to raise children, how to have sex, and whom to fear. And Christian media promoted a distinctive vision of evangelical masculinity. Finding comfort and courage in symbols of a mythical past, evangelicals looked to a rugged, heroic masculinity embodied by cowboys, soldiers, and warriors to point the way forward. For decades to come, militant masculinity (and a sweet, submissive femininity) would remain entrenched in the evangelical imagination, shaping conceptions of what was good and true.

31 minutes ago, Rocky said:

For example, (page 12)

The evangelical consumer marketplace was by then [1970s] a force to be reckoned with, but this expansive media network functioned less as a traditional soul-saving enterprise and more as a means by which evangelicals created and maintained their own identity--an identity rooted in "family values" and infused with a sense of cultural embattlement. 

Christian publishing, radio, and television taught evangelicals how to raise children, how to have sex, and whom to fear. And Christian media promoted a distinctive vision of evangelical masculinity. Finding comfort and courage in symbols of a mythical past, evangelicals looked to a rugged, heroic masculinity embodied by cowboys, soldiers, and warriors to point the way forward. For decades to come, militant masculinity (and a sweet, submissive femininity) would remain entrenched in the evangelical imagination, shaping conceptions of what was good and true.

Wow.

A trigger for a flood of images. Wooden spoons... CF&S... That photo of LCM, Don, Greer(?) in their western shirts, blue jeans and cowboy boots... the submissive, compliant women/girls forcibly shown what the "love of god" is all about...

"The evangelical consumer marketplace."  What a phrase!

Thanks for sharing Du Mez, Rocky.

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Greer(?)

Geer? 

I emphatically recommend people read Jesus and John Wayne. I got it at my local public library where I like to check most books. If I think they are important enough, I'll buy a copy. I'm hoping to pass my Kindle library as an inheritance to my grandchildren (hopefully not soon).