GreaseSpot Cafe

JESUS FREAK YEARS

TOMMYZ

Question

A friend of mine who used to be in TWI was going to be seeing the movie "Jesus Revolution" and was curious about what was happening with The Way in those years . (She got in at the end of 1975.) She asked "I’m curious about how Dr got involved in the Jesus Movement and with the hippies that went to Ohio. Any info you can share on it and the revival that happened in Rye NY?"

I know the topic has come up over the years so I wonder if anyone could recommend threads that would have good information ?

Edited by TOMMYZ
spelling

21 answers to this question

With wierwille it may have been a perfect storm of some unpredictable factors. wierwille tapped into the zeitgeist of youthful counterculture of the 60s and 70s, with new dynamic subcultures that celebrated experimentation and the rise of alternative lifestyles. He was an opportunist besides being a flagrant plagiarist and liked to steal from the fruit of other people’s hard work. He even set his sights on the evangelical Christian movement of “Jesus people” or “Jesus freaks”  -  there have been some discussions on Grease Spot about wierwille’s attempts to hijack the Jesus movement in 1968 & 69  - note a few pertinent links:

Jim Doop the Way West and VPW

brief timeline of wierwille’s career

about Doop and Heefner

Jimmy Doop's post Sept. 8 2005 about The Way West and wierwille wanting to control the money

• Upvote 1

I haven't posted in a couple of years. My GSC name previously was "infoabsorption" but unfortunately I lost my account credentials and the email it was attached to... so I decided to create a new account.

A few friends and family members of mine have already seen the "Jesus Revolution" movie. The reactions to the movie from my friends and family have been mostly positive, however, if one starts to dig around on the internet (primarily YouTube) then one notices that there is another side to this story. The biggest complaint of the movie that I've noticed is that Lonnie Frisbee isn't given the recognition that he deserves. Some say that Frisbee was the biggest catalyst of that movement. One person said that Frisbee was responsible for converting at least 85,000 people to Christianity. He would just go down to the beach and start preaching and baptizing people. Then all of a sudden there were 200 people standing around him. It didn't take long. Apparently, Frisbee roomed with Jim Doop and his wife and Steve Heefner and his wife north of San Francisco. The city may have been Novato. Not 100% sure. This was around 1967 shortly before Frisbee joined Chuck Smith's group which became Calvary Chapel. One of the old timers said that during this time Berg from the Children of God and a "member" of The Way approached Frisbee in CA both trying to get him to join their groups. I'm glad he didn't. But VPW did talk Heefner and Doop into attending "summer school" in Ohio.

17 hours ago, T-Bone said:

With wierwille it may have been a perfect storm of some unpredictable factors. wierwille tapped into the zeitgeist of youthful counterculture of the 60s and 70s, with new dynamic subcultures that celebrated experimentation and the rise of alternative lifestyles. He was an opportunist besides being a flagrant plagiarist and liked to steal from the fruit of other people’s hard work. He even set his sights on the evangelical Christian movement of “Jesus people” or “Jesus freaks”  -  there have been some discussions on Grease Spot about wierwille’s attempts to hijack the Jesus movement in 1968 & 69  - note a few pertinent links:

Hi T-Bone! Yeah ..I agree with your assessment 100%

1 hour ago, Exidor said:

The reactions to the movie from my friends and family have been mostly positive, however, if one starts to dig around on the internet (primarily YouTube) then one notices that there is another side to this story. The biggest complaint of the movie that I've noticed is that Lonnie Frisbee isn't given the recognition that he deserves. Some say that Frisbee was the biggest catalyst of that movement.

Hey Exidor,

I haven't viewed the movie though I first heard about it weeks ago. IMO, the key to your post is "another side to the story."

Do you know if the movie claims to be a true and factual rendering of the history in question?

All stories telling about events which happened have "another side," don't they whether they claim to be a faithful? 

Everybody who witnessed the event(s) in question remember them differently to some degree?

By all means, tell your side of the story wherever and whenever you can. :beer:

12 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Hey Exidor,

I haven't viewed the movie though I first heard about it weeks ago. IMO, the key to your post is "another side to the story."

Do you know if the movie claims to be a true and factual rendering of the history in question?

All stories telling about events which happened have "another side," don't they whether they claim to be a faithful? 

Everybody who witnessed the event(s) in question remember them differently to some degree?

By all means, tell your side of the story wherever and whenever you can. :beer:

Hi Rocky,

I haven't seen the movie either but the movie is based on a book written by Greg Laurie & Ellen Vaughn by the same title. I'm pretty sure the book claims to be factual.

It seems a lot of the criticism is coming from people who knew Lonnie Frisbee personally such as Lonnie's brother. Some of these people indicate that the reason Frisbee's involvement in the Jesus Freak movement has been downplayed is because of his occasional gay sex affairs which resulted in him acquiring HIV then eventually AIDS.

If you do a YouTube search you should run across a recent interview with Lonnie's brother Stan.

11 minutes ago, Exidor said:

Hi Rocky,

I haven't seen the movie either but the movie is based on a book written by Greg Laurie & Ellen Vaughn by the same title. I'm pretty sure the book claims to be factual.

It seems a lot of the criticism is coming from people who knew Lonnie Frisbee personally such as Lonnie's brother. Some of these people indicate that the reason Frisbee's involvement in the Jesus Freak movement has been downplayed is because of his occasional gay sex affairs which resulted in him acquiring HIV then eventually AIDS.

If you do a YouTube search you should run across a recent interview with Lonnie's brother Stan.

That wasn't my point. Stories are stories. Everyone sees them differently and tells them the way they see them.

Hopefully someone with a flair for words will write a history from a perspective closer to Lonnie's. :wave:

7 minutes ago, Rocky said:

That wasn't my point. Stories are stories. Everyone sees them differently and tells them the way they see them.

Hopefully someone with a flair for words will write a history from a perspective closer to Lonnie's. :wave:

Dude! Your first point was " Do you know if the movie claims to be a true and factual rendering of the history in question? "  and I mentioned that the movie is based on a book that claims to be factual.

I agree that everybody has a different perspective. Everybody has their own filter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Exidor said:

Dude! Your first point was " Do you know if the movie claims to be a true and factual rendering of the history in question? "  and I mentioned that the movie is based on a book that claims to be factual.

I agree that everybody has a different perspective. Everybody has their own filter.

I appreciate your point. However, even (and especially) movies "based on _____ book" is not the same as claiming the movie is factually accurate.

Take care.

1 minute ago, Rocky said:

I appreciate your point. However, even (and especially) movies "based on _____ book" is not the same as claiming the movie is factually accurate.

Take care.

Mickey Mouse BS Rocky!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Exidor said:

I haven't posted in a couple of years. My GSC name previously was "infoabsorption" but unfortunately I lost my account credentials and the email it was attached to... so I decided to create a new account.

A few friends and family members of mine have already seen the "Jesus Revolution" movie. The reactions to the movie from my friends and family have been mostly positive, however, if one starts to dig around on the internet (primarily YouTube) then one notices that there is another side to this story. The biggest complaint of the movie that I've noticed is that Lonnie Frisbee isn't given the recognition that he deserves. Some say that Frisbee was the biggest catalyst of that movement. One person said that Frisbee was responsible for converting at least 85,000 people to Christianity. He would just go down to the beach and start preaching and baptizing people. Then all of a sudden there were 200 people standing around him. It didn't take long. Apparently, Frisbee roomed with Jim Doop and his wife and Steve Heefner and his wife north of San Francisco. The city may have been Novato. Not 100% sure. This was around 1967 shortly before Frisbee joined Chuck Smith's group which became Calvary Chapel. One of the old timers said that during this time Berg from the Children of God and a "member" of The Way approached Frisbee in CA both trying to get him to join their groups. I'm glad he didn't. But VPW did talk Heefner and Doop into attending "summer school" in Ohio.

I think we can agree, with 20/20 hindsight, 

that the Jesus People/Jesus Freaks movement was a genuine movement of God's people (for those who believe in such things) that was partly strangled by greedy and jealous religious folk who worked hard to get the movers to give up their callings as primary and subordinate them to the task of becoming the recruitment arms of their organizations.   They were still SOMEWHAT effective there, but with all sorts of religious claptrap being tacked on, became progressively less effective, thus prematurely ending something that might have significantly changed the public landscape of the USA.

5 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I think we can agree, with 20/20 hindsight, 

that the Jesus People/Jesus Freaks movement was a genuine movement of God's people (for those who believe in such things) that was partly strangled by greedy and jealous religious folk who worked hard to get the movers to give up their callings as primary and subordinate them to the task of becoming the recruitment arms of their organizations.   They were still SOMEWHAT effective there, but with all sorts of religious claptrap being tacked on, became progressively less effective, thus prematurely ending something that might have significantly changed the public landscape of the USA.

Several people have come forward on GSC to provide insight on the Jesus Movement.

Sunesis comments on movement

The Jesus Hippie Movement

17 hours ago, Exidor said:

Thx for the rundown exidor I haven’t yet seen the movie but my interest is sparked.

Yes there are some decent threads around here on Doop Heefner and Lonnie Frisbee.  Interesting reads when you include Haight-Asbury and The Living Room storefront with couches they all used to hang out at.

Last year, when I first read this article, I was mildly disappointed that victor paul wierwille and TWI were mentioned as a mere side note, an incidental triviality.

Tonight, after a more careful second reading, it seems to me Steve and Sandi Heefner’s summer on the farm in Ohio with victor paul wierwille is no incidental plot ornament. It is the critical turning point, the beginning of the end, for the House of Acts.

When the Heefner’s return from Ohio, the ministering and generosity end, and the “teaching,” accusations of legalism and divisions begin.

Gross.

7 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Last year, when I first read this article, I was mildly disappointed that victor paul wierwille and TWI were mentioned as a mere side note, an incidental triviality.

Tonight, after a more careful second reading, it seems to me Steve and Sandi Heefner’s summer on the farm in Ohio with victor paul wierwille is no incidental plot ornament. It is the critical turning point, the beginning of the end, for the House of Acts.

When the Heefner’s return from Ohio, the ministering and generosity end, and the “teaching,” accusations of legalism and divisions begin.

Wierwille's mode of operation was vastly different from the House of Acts.  With wierwille, it was.... "you can stay until your money runs out."  He demanded payment for disinformation services rendered.  Generosity ended at the point of the dollar bill.  If you couldn't pay your way forward, then your way forward was NOT part of "the Way."

And more.... even when you DID pay, wierwille expected free labor if you hung around.  The Way headquarters was run this way and so was the corps program.  You paid your own way or with sponsorship money.... and you were assigned 1/2 day work projects.  Whether it was sweeping the walks or weeding the flower beds, no one was allowed to sit around in the sunshine and meditate.  Nor was there any encouragement to go downtown and minister the teachings of Jesus to others.  All campus efforts were to maintain and manicure the grounds.

Was wierwille revealing his agenda when he said (??)...."The reason the Dead Sea is so dead is because it has all inlets, no outlets."

20 minutes ago, skyrider said:

so was the corps program.  You paid your own way or with sponsorship money.... and you were assigned 1/2 day work projects.  Whether it was sweeping the walks or weeding the flower beds, no one was allowed to sit around in the sunshine and meditate.  Nor was there any encouragement to go downtown and minister the teachings of Jesus to others.  All campus efforts were to maintain and manicure the grounds.

To my knowledge this hasnt changed. The centerpeice of the way corps training is the in-residence work-study program. Thats where you study approved ministry resources and work the rest of the time. Work for free, I mean at least penitentiarys pay a couple dollars a day for making license plates. Then there were the work projects that dotted the landscape every so often where we would go and do some big group project. I helped tranistion the in-residence way corps from gunnison to HQ back in 2005 or so. They solocited department coordinators to submit possible work projects for the corps. Most projects that were approved happened to he in the grounds department. So I had several large scale work projects running that I coordinated and supported in various ways. All of it was hard work. Dropping trees out in the woods, new fence line down wierwille road, etc. All of the projects would have cost $$ to do with staff or contractors and that free labor was handy.

5 hours ago, skyrider said:

You paid your own way or with sponsorship money

In FellowLaborers, we were NOT allowed to have outside sponsors, we had to pay our own way. This included a general fund which essentially covered our rent. I no longer remember if this included utilities or if that was covered by the individual "house funds", which took care of toilet paper, dish soap and such things. There were 8 "houses" which were duplex townhomes in an outlying, rural area. Then, each person was responsible for their own personal needs like tooth paste, deodorant, hygiene products, laundromat, etc...If you don't pay, you don't eat. period.

The way we did this was to work fulltime at outside jobs through the day. No part time jobs were allowed. A typical morning began at 5 or 5:30. All 50 of us met in one of the townhome basements for daily announcements, prayer and manifestations, after which we did a one mile group run down a rural side road. From there we went immediately to breakfast in the individual townhomes (Familia, wheat berries, mush, fresh fruit and the like were the typical menu) I usually had breakfast duties in my house.  Next, we left for work as soon as we were dressed and ready. 

After work, we either went back to the townhomes to prepare the evening group meal to be held at limb HQ, work schedules permitting, or went straight to limb HQ if we worked slightly later hours. We had a half hour group meal, complete with hosts and hostesses. We followed Christian etiquette protocol at meals. Wednesday night were FellowLaborer group meeting/teaching. (Basically a branch meeting)

After the evening meal, we did various limb work such as painting, mowing or gardening. (We had a large vegetable garden that provided most of the vegetables for 50+ people) Some others worked on the food co-op or menu prep and distribution.

When our work assignments were completed for the evening, we went back to our "houses" (about a 20-30 minute drive). We met in individual twigs which did not reflect our housing assignments. Then we went back to our assigned houses for a short house meeting, preparations for the next day, dishes and lights out at midnight.

There was some time allowed on Saturday afternoons to go into town to do laundry and shop for personal items.

The routine did occasionally vary, but this was a typical day... Self funded.

12 minutes ago, waysider said:

In FellowLaborers, we were NOT allowed to have outside sponsors, we had to pay our own way. This included a general fund which essentially covered our rent. I no longer remember if this included utilities or if that was covered by the individual "house funds", which took care of toilet paper, dish soap and such things. There were 8 "houses" which were duplex townhomes in an outlying, rural area. Then, each person was responsible for their own personal needs like tooth paste, deodorant, hygiene products, laundromat, etc...If you don't pay, you don't eat. period.

The way we did this was to work fulltime at outside jobs through the day. No part time jobs were allowed. A typical morning began at 5 or 5:30. All 50 of us met in one of the townhome basements for daily announcements, prayer and manifestations, after which we did a one mile group run down a rural side road. From there we went immediately to breakfast in the individual townhomes (Familia, wheat berries, mush, fresh fruit and the like were the typical menu) I usually had breakfast duties in my house.  Next, we left for work as soon as we were dressed and ready. 

After work, we either went back to the townhomes to prepare the evening group meal to be held at limb HQ, work schedules permitting, or went straight to limb HQ if we worked slightly later hours. We had a half hour group meal, complete with hosts and hostesses. We followed Christian etiquette protocol at meals. Wednesday night were FellowLaborer group meeting/teaching. (Basically a branch meeting)

After the evening meal, we did various limb work such as painting, mowing or gardening. (We had a large vegetable garden that provided most of the vegetables for 50+ people) Some others worked on the food co-op or menu prep and distribution.

When our work assignments were completed for the evening, we went back to our "houses" (about a 20-30 minute drive). We met in individual twigs which did not reflect our housing assignments. Then we went back to our assigned houses for a short house meeting, preparations for the next day, dishes and lights out at midnight.

There was some time allowed on Saturday afternoons to go into town to do laundry and shop for personal items.

I presume FL was a “commitment.” What was the term? Three months, six months, one year…?

CORPS promised the development of “in depth spiritual perception…” What was the stated goal or mission of FL? 

3 hours ago, waysider said:

waysider.... hats off to you for such dedicated commitment.

In the corps, we had 1/2 day work assignments.... some worked the mornings, the others worked the afternoon shift.  Generally, three days a week we had to be at *top floor wierwille library* seated by 5:20am.  When I roomed at Owens Hall (18 men per room).... alarm clocks started going off at 4am, 4:15am, 4:30am and 4:45am.  It was annoyingly crazy.  Some of us would go to the track at 4am and run a mile or two.

We had meetings to schedule the next meeting.... with some 325 people in the 9th corps, plus another 150 or so 7th corps, we had branch meetings, twig meetings, household responsibility meetings, corps night meetings confrontational meetings and after-glow meetings (late meetings after corps night).  I swear every leader had a few verses of scripture that they were hot on that day.  At one stretch.... we were going through Romans on Corps Nights, John Lynn was teaching Thessalonians during study hall afternoons, and we were required to study Ephesians for our twig assignment.  Plus, there were all the other side teachings on Christian Etiquette, Song Leading, Jet-Style Packing, Knowles Breathing, Food Nutrition, Menstrual Cycles, Ovulation Method of Birth Control, Budgeting, etc.

Without working in the community... we were subjected to more isolation, more immersion, more indoctrination.  They could call a campus "Red Alert" and we all had to be at top floor wierwille library in 10 minutes,  You never know when there might be a Red Dawn Overthrow attack on God's crack troops.

We were subjected to confrontations daily.... even if only ONE PERSON screwed up.  It was supposedly our lot in life to learn from his/her mistakes.  Fear and intimidation were the name of this game.  Wierwille started this pattern and every corps coordinator seemed to replicate this tactic.  No matter that the scriptures instruct us to go to that person one-on-one and confront the issue.  If not resolved, then take two or three witnesses to strength the message... and THEN, if not received to take it to the body of believers at large.

So much of our training was not the teachings themselves, but the methods that made twi a cult.

With such dismal corps sign-ups, you'd think that those guys would look in the mirror and ask hard questions, right?

Nope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I presume FL was a “commitment.” What was the term? Three months, six months, one year…?

CORPS promised the development of “in depth spiritual perception…” What was the stated goal or mission of FL? 

It was a 2 year commitment. I ended up being there for 3... Long story.

The stated goals were the same as Way Corps. The mission objective was to live as they did in Acts (cough) and return to our home areas as better prepared leaders. (Never happened)

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, skyrider said:

So much of our training was not the teachings themselves, but the methods that made twi a cult.

With such dismal corps sign-ups, you'd think that those guys would look in the mirror and ask hard questions, right?

Failures of imagination.