GreaseSpot Cafe

Schizophrenia - Anyone with first-hand experience?

Mike

I understand there is a spectrum of intensity for these traits. 
I also see a street culture in this guy that exacerbates a few other traits.

This guy seems pretty advanced in the disease.
Fortunately I never saw my friend this far gone.

It's impossible for a layman to gauge someone's level of severity. It's been shown that the voices can vary dependent on the culture the person is in. In other words, people in some cultures hear friendly voices rather than scary ones.

Suppose you're sitting in the waiting room at the dentist. Somewhere down the hall, you can hear a muted conversation through the closed doors, and perhaps the sound of a chair being moved . There's no screaming, sounds of violence or any such thing. As far as you know, it's just business as usual. It seems real enough. You don't give it much thought. Except, there's no one in that room. Would you tell anyone you hear someone in that room? No one else in the waiting room has any clue as to what you're hearing. This is why I say that a layman sitting in that waiting room with you has no idea you even have this condition or how severe it might be.

edit: interesting link.

Edited by waysider
add link
  • Like 1

“Street culture,” Really? Hmmm…ok. I think T-Bone included a definition of euphemism in a recent post.

Chris, the subject of this Soft White Underbelly video, is a mentally ill homeless drug addict. A disproportionate number of homeless are mentally ill, and drug abuse often goes hand in hand with mental illness - a sinister irony that simultaneously provides a sensation of relief while exacerbating and advancing the disease.

What I find remarkable about Chris is that he is so self aware. He knows the voices and delusions are symptoms/manifestations of his disease. He seems to so easily switch between the rational and irrational. He is articulate and honest about his disease, if in denial about how the drugs are making it all much, much worse - delusions all the way down. The Haldol is probably helping with his clarity.

Much of Chris’ behavior in this video (legs and hands) are due to his methamphetamine use, which he readily admits he is high AF on at the moment of filming.

Chris seems like a very sweet guy. Just very sick. No devil spirits to be found here.

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves
  • Like 1