GreaseSpot Cafe

Chat Room Closing

Hope R.

Due to the high cost of offering this free service, we regret that we will shortly be shutting down BeSeen.com and BeSeen services on August 19th, 2002.

-- The BeSeen Team

YIKES!

I'm not internet handy - but I know I'll go thru withdrawal w/o chat!!!

Anyone have any ideas? Paw? What can be done?

I'll gladly contribute to a chat room if it costs $ to run one...

Hope R. color>size>face>

I went ahead and set up a Yahoo chatroom called Greasespotcafe for one alternative.

To get there, go to:

chat.yahoo.com

and then login to chat (you'll need to register, and get a user ID and password 1st if you can't get in)

After waiting for a minute for the chatroom software page to load, click on the 'continue' button, then type in the following in the chat line:

/join greasespotcafe

(make sure you type in the / character).

It will then take you to the Greasespotcafe chat room.

Now if somebody else has a better idea, I'm all ears. I just thought I'd set up an alternative for the time being. And actually, Yahoo has some fairly good chat software going for it.

Anywho, Enjoy all!

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

Geeze, even though I don't frequent chat as regularly as I used to, the thought of the doors not being open.....sheesh, panic attack. (OK, just kidding.)

It's like the corner drug store with the soda fountain closing. Even though I don't always drop in, it's nice to know that when I do, there's always a friendly face or two, fresh coffee and desserts, and lots of good gossip and such.

Oh my gosh. Where will congregate to discuss the news of the day? Don't tell me a superwalmart or something is moving in.

It's rare that ya actually see anybody in the yahoo chat room. Maybe cuz we are all typing "Greasespotcafe" differently

I have seen people say they only typed "greasespot" then there is "greasespotcafe" and a third one that is "greasespot cafe" (With a space between the two words) All lower case -- don't know if yahoo is case sensitive.

I have been to all three "rooms" and have found people in the second two.

If we are all gonna be able to find each other, we're gonna hafta get to the same room! HELLPPP! Paw!!!!

I know this isn't the best solution, but here goes.

Might I suggest everyone get AOL im ? It has a function where you can invite people to chat, and is somewhat better than beseen's version. This avoids the problem of having to see people you don't want to.

A list could be posted on a thread of all the chat

names. For those with security concerns, you could set up a name specifically for 'GSchat'

I'm sorry for those with dinoputers who can't handle AOL IM, but this is the best I could come up with.

I appreciate your efforts, Garth, but I've gotten tired of looking at Vin Diesel for two minutes before being able to get in the room, if at all.

The artist formerly known as Kaiserverbalsushikint. (I've lost track..........)

Okay

what are we doin' here?

I yahoo, MSN, and AOL IM....I tried the Yahoo chat business...no luck

maybe I cut and pasted wrong....BUT

I GOTTA HAVE MY CHAT!!

I wont get through the next semester the same....my grades will drop...Ill loose my mind, not really, but I WANT My CHAT Room!

So all you guys there more n' me...tell me what do I do..

LLPierce@comcast.net

Another suggestion is that perhaps there is a chat room that might have a fee that I know I'd be willing to chip in for or, heck, if it's not too expensive, foot the whole bill.

I wouldn't know where to begin to look. If any of you internet savvy folks feel up to searching around for a good room, I'd be willing to pay for it.

Until then, I guess the Yahoo chat room is okay by me.

Sushi - how could "new" folks join into the chat if it's on AOL IM? Could there be a GS link? Would it be up and running all the time? Who would host it? Inquiring minds want to know...

Hope R. color>size>face>

The only problem with aol im is that it's pretty much a closed corporation type deal. The IM names would have to be posted, but it would be by invitation only.

This would eliminate the need for the ignore button for those who never seemed to get the hang of it, but getting new people to post an IM name on an internet board could be a little difficult.

This is the best I can come up with at the moment.

Am investigating setting up an ICQ chat room.

The artist formerly known as Kaiserverbalsushikint. (I've lost track..........)

I made it to the /joings .when you are in a room, in yahoo (any room) type in /joings and then its us!!! where you would put a line to chat and it switches the room automaticly. lower case doesnt matter

but the names are different for me I am some one eles!

if I can manage anyone can!

some of the pop up in the other rooms are just down right nasty do not answer them if you do not want a filthy conversation.

• 2 weeks later...

/join greasespotcafe

and when you get there...the room will be displayed as "greasespotcafe 1"

It seems that anybody can create any room with the slash....so /gs is also a room. But the above is where most people settle.

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought this topic needed to be pinnacled once again for some of the addicts like myself!

But; while I am on this topic...........I would also like to say that I miss chatting wif many of the new found chat friends I've found here at greasespot. And would like to invite many of the wonderful people that post here in the forums that never visit chat to come join in the fun!

Since finding the greasespot cyber cafe about a year ago I have met many wonderful people in the chatroom. It's not near as scary a place as one would imagine. I also believe food fights in the chatroom are more fun than some of the verbal brow beatings that I see take place here in the forums.

I don't think the chatroom here is as user friendly as can be........but neither are alot of other things in life. I am not a hostage to conformity or old age, and I don't believe anyone here is either.

I think we are living in a generation that is just now starting to learn the power of the internet......so why not enjoy chatting with those you share ideas, arguements, expectations, fears, and most of all......scared memories.

And a little loving chat fellowship once in awhile does the soul good too, I might add.

Now thats my spill about chat......../join greasespotcafe.........at www.yahoo.chat.com

Littlehawk.....Your friendly tour guide to tha bourbin regions of tha bluegrass!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget about a year ago Yahoos like to sell your personal info and they send you a nice little email to tell you (nobody reads it )and BAM here comes the spam and worms.I paid$12 bucks to last greasespot and 2weeks later we moved. How about we all just move to NK and get jobs at the newspaper..HEHEHE

Fightin crimes of daway

These are my OPINIONs and I'm entitled to them!

You know...in the old chatroom, we could leave messages throughout the day, and it was kinda neat to login and see little funny blurbs from people, even if there wasn't anyone at the time there to chat.

No do in the yahoo chat.

In fact, I login and sit there waiting for someone to come in...if no one comes in, and I'm still at home milling around...I do other things in the house...waiting for a taker.

I've noticed people login in, and if no one responds to them immediately, they leave. Please...hang on...!!!!! We can't all be glued to the puter every waking minute of the day

I was thinking of a way we can connect...perhaps, every hour on the hour, and half hour...just to check in, if you're gonna check in at all. It can be very frustrating...

And..the sad part is no messages throughout the day, nor log to see who's crept in during the day...

Does that help? trying to check in every hour and on the half hour?...to connect???

Just a thought.

Garth......thanks for correcting the url addy for the gathering place of cyber-hippie chat addicts.

Wacky.......you might try customizing your away message at the chatroom to say something like.......Hi.. this is Wacky and I am presently looking for loppy ..please help me find him..so's I can return to chatting!