GreaseSpot Cafe

BB King, George Thoroughgood, Fabulous Thunderbirds

Oakspear

Yeah, you'll be "ridin' with the king"! Where's the show?

Just got a biography of Steve Ray Vaughn, and am really enjoying the stories of he and his brother Jimmy of the Thunderbirds. He's a great blues player.

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

I do not believe Jimmy Vaughn is back with the fab T-Birds. he left some time ago and was replaced by Duke Robillard, who also left.

If Jimmy is back with the T-Birds, I'll let youse know.

The concert is in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

Wednesday, August 14th

Oakspear

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

Jimmy Vaughn is NOT the Fab T-Birds guitarist. They had a young guy who tried to imitate his style, but wasn't quite there. Otherwise, though, they put on a good show. Kim Wilson is a great showman, althoughwe didn't need such a loooooong harmonica solo!

Lonesome George was the consumate showman as usual, played all his favorites, and wowed the crowd.

BB King was...well, BB King. The old man STILL can make those blues grab you by the throat. He travels with a top notch bunch of musicians.

Before BB came out everybody took some solos. He had a flute player in with the horns - I never imagined a flute as a blues instrument, but this guy pulled it off!

It was an outdoor venue, so a friend and I were on lawn chairs on the grass, the weather was beautiful, and we were surrounded by plenty of people who knew and loved the blues.

What a concert!

Oakspear

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

That's great Oakspear! Sounds like a great show. Good to hear B.B. is still doing it. I love him. Seen him many times over the years.

I'd almost call him my "father" in guitar. I love him.

One of my fondest moments is meeting him once, briefly, backstage at a concert in Dayton, Ohio after his set. A very classy guy, and caring about his fans. A woman was having something signed when we walked up and this guy rushed up to him and says "Sign this B.B.!" and shoved a flier at him. B.B. nodded and said "I will, but I'm talking to this good woman here right now, you'll have to wait a minute, sir". " Good woman, indeed. He's always held his dignity.

Best show, the Trojan club, Seattle, Wa. (seems like) with about 200 other people at tables, knocking back rum and cokes. He ripped. He showed up late and hit the stage while his band was playing tunes and picked up his guitar (Gibson stereo 335 through a Lab Series amp) and let loose. It was out of tune. He didn't stop for a second, played right through it and tuned as he went. Song ended, he yelled "One, two, three!..." and counted off right in to the next song. He did that for 3 or 4 songs straight without a breath, sweating like a horse. Finally, he came up for air, and said how sorry he was for being late and for things not being right and then proceeded with the night.... He's a class act all the way.Thanks for letting me reminisce on your thread. Glad he rocked!!!

Hey you fellow BB King fans. I don't know if you guys ever get down to Memphis but BB has a club on Beale Street. Whenever he's in town, he plays there and like you said Socks, it's great.

His club isn't that big, and you can touch the musicians from the dance floor. He's a pretty friendly guy and likes to hang out and talk and such. He's definitely the king at his club.

When he's not there, and sometimes even if he is, there's a phenominal singer, Miss Ruby, the "Queen of Beale Street," who usually sings a set or two. The club closes at 2 am, and she always closes with a prayer thanking Jesus Christ her Lord and Saviour. She's a sweetie, and hubby and I have sat and talked with her a time or two. She considers Beale Street her "mission field."

Al Green also pastors a big church in Memphis and the music there really rocks. I love the music scene in Memphis. So if you guys are ever in the neighborhood, it's a good place to stop in.