GreaseSpot Cafe

CHRISTIAN MUSIC

corrydj

Hi all...

I hope you will indulge me here as I want to share something special with you. I want to tell you all about what I experienced over the last few days.

I'm fortunate that in the business I work in I get to be up close and personal with major musical acts. Earlier this year I switched from secular music to Christian music as I believe that Christian music has evolved into a more contemporary style and has turned into something wonderful and very entertaining.

I just atteneded an event called "Creation Fest 2002", billed as one of the largest Christian musical festivals in the country, at The Gorge, a beautiful natural outdoor ampitheatre that sits on a bluff above the Columbia River in central Washington state.

Thousand's attend annually, primarily teens, but lots of families and people of all ages attended and camped to see the likes of Michael W. Smith, Jars of Clay, Newsboys, Jennifer Knapp, Audio Adrenaline, Toby Mac (dc talk), Mercy Me, Point of Grace, Zoe Girl, Delirious, Plus One, Skillet, etc...

I personally moderated 4 press conferences with Jars of Clay, Zoe Girl, Toby Mac and Point of Grace. Had to open each with a word of prayer, for which I tried to keep as many "way-isms" out as possible.

The music was great, the fellowship was sweet and it was great to see all those teens (my two included) having good clean fun and run to the stage and with arms raised to heaven and worship together and praise God w/some great music.

What was really great for me though was to see the dedication and great heart for God and our savior Jesus Christ that these music artists have.

One press conference in particular that I attended that stuck out to me was The Paul Coleman Trio. These three guys are all from Australia and when Paul Coleman spoke he had to stop because he broke down in tears and then talked about how hard all the touring has been on his family and his bandmates. He really missed his wife and child, who were supposed to attend with him but couldn't, and he was feeling the pressure. He said "this Jesus stuff really takes its toll." But he wasn't about to stop doing what he does because he knows it's his calling.

Here's my point, (yes I do have one) there are so many good folks "out there" who have a heart for serving God and are so sincere about what they believe and do and I got to really some of that this weekend.

And these are the very folks who twi have put down for years. "Church folk." What I saw over the last few days was way better than any roa I ever attended. I defy one of those supposed "leaders" to see what other Chrisitans do outside of twi and then tell me or anyone else that they are "not of the household." Or that we are seperated from them because we truly know the rightly divided word of God.

I think twi lives in its own little reality and I don't know if they fooled themselves into thinking that followers of twi are of the true "household" by design or simply a result of their arogance.

But I can tell you that something is seriously wrong with a "minsistry" that when important, serious questions that deserve answers are asked of the president and all she can do is reply "come to headquarters and you'll see everything is fine here."

That is just plain sick and wrong! If the followers of the way are of the true household and their numbers are dwindling...hmmmm, that doesn't leave very many true followers now does it?

I don't raise holy hands to heaven in church or concerts, avoid baptisms as I believe I'm already born again, and still pray in the name of Jesus Christ, but I can tell you that I saw a bigger part of God's household this weekend and it was great.

For those who have turned from God because of twi or for those who lurk here but are still "in"....run, hide. They are fooling you!

God still loves you and will be there for you even if you dare step foot outside the "protection of the household" and maybe even got to chruch on occasion.

Lest anyone thinks I had some sort of spiritual transformation over the weekend and now I'm here preaching to you....yeah right! I spent most of the last few days struggling with a 16 years old in crisis (please pray for my son) but still had enough time to see some wonderful things that God does to move in peoples lives. And the dedication it takes "to do this Jesus stuff!"

God Bless all....

corrydj

**for those who aren't familiar w/current Christian music I reccomend a couple of songs. There are so many good ones and great groups, but here's a couple.**

Mercy Me "I Can Only Imagine"

Audio Adrenaline "Ocean Floor"

ladda~dee ladee~daa

Disney World in Orlando, Florida offers a weekend in Christian Music. I forgot what they call it or when they hold it, but it was a wonderful experience. Two days and nights full of every major Christian artist/musician under the sun plus rides and entertainment sections were open too.

If you live in or near Florida check with your churches or your search engine for details. See, Disney isn't all that bad (seed boy and all).

Sounds like a great time, corrydj. I'm familiar with some of the music you mention, and there's some good stuff happening. I would agree with you, there is a lot of good being done throughout the world in many Christian corners-vibrant, good, heart-felt things. It's invigorating to hear your comments and experience!

I checked out "Hillsongs" out of Australia several years ago, and from the first time I heard a tape of their music, I had a similar reaction to yours here. It just knocked me back. All I could think was "WOW!" Their music was very powerful, well produced, good scoring and arranging, just well built pop music. My daughter and a group from a local church went there a couple years to an annual get together, attended some music workshops (she plays drums) and had a blast. While we're not members, we were enlightened by the experience.

I too wish that the Way would raise their eyes up and see what's out going on in the fields beyond the corn in Ohio.

"Sincerity" was always one of those buzz-kill words that red flagged anyone's efforts as being sub-standard. I can picture Wayfers reading your words and thinking "but it's no guarantee for truth!" Yet, those people you saw were out, working hard, doing what they believed was right and at some personal expense to boot, not holed up in solitude enetertaining themselves like some Pharisees-on-bingo-night.

Thanks for posting that! Sounds like your were busy!

We're all heading to see Tower of Power tonight, up here in northern California. Can't wait! Love that funk.

--------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

Socks...

Saw Tower of Power a long time ago, but they were great! Lots of brass, extra cool!

Weren't a couple of them supposed to be pfal grads?

Also, failed to mention earlier that 3/4 of the group "Point of Grace" was pregnant and near term, but they still showed up for the event.

God Bless those who do God's work!

corrydj

ladda~dee ladee~daa

CoryDJ: I love your post. It is going to be so helpful to people out there that allowed their belief in God to die with their belief in TWI.

I love Micheal W. Smith and his video CHANGED just about kept me togther about 9 years ago.

I was out of TWI for about 6 years, I guess,

and I was telling God in the wee hours of the morning how alone I felt. I did not have a church, I had lost my TWI friends by choice or by the fact that I left and some stayed in.

I missed hearing singing and I missed being with believers. I was still at a point 9 years ago that I wished TWI could recover. And low and behold Michael W Smith's video came on the TV. The Video CHANGED. I cried thru the whole thing.

I loved the songs and the freedom whereby the danced around the stage.

I was in a corps band and was actually yelled out for "moving". They were under the impression that by moving around you could "sexually" pull a whole audience out of fellowship (while the bast@rd$ were out having sex - go figure).

On the CHANGED video Smith was junping and moving and dancing and having a blast!!! Plus the costumes were great and appealing to kids!

It really blessed me to see this whole group of people loving God! I also love Point of Grace and Jars of Clay.

My favorite is 4Him the song "Where there is Faith" It is such a deep God loving song it makes the hairs on my arms stand up.

And yes, Christian music has come a long way! I give credit to those Christians who allowed their followers (bad word, but you know what I mean)

to be creative.

Dot Matrix

LW...I'll check into that Orlando thing, sounds cool! Glad to see Disney is coming along on that one.

Hopeful...Never heard of the seminars. I'll check that out too.

And Dot...too funny about not being able to move on stage. Good goodness almighty, that is hilarious and stupid all at the same time!

BTW...Michael W. was great on stage the other night. Very inspiring, quite entertaining and he's a cutie too! Sorry, couldn't help but notice. And if he weren't sitting at the piano most of the time I might of gotten to see him move a little!

corrydj

ladda~dee ladee~daa

johniam, yes, he's playing with them and sounds great. if you have a chance to see them do it if you like their music. their entire lineup is exceptional. you can check their schedule out at their site, towerofpower.com

corrydj, their drummer Dave Garibaldi is/was a grad. Skip Mesquite, sax player of the original lineup, also.

I've enjoyed the songs of Jars of Clay and Audio Adrenaline. It's good stuff. Lots of good music!

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

I know what you mean about the music- it is uplifting and full of love. I like the 'worship' music the best. The CD's entitled 'Accoustic Worship' have been a real inspiration to me and many members of our church (yes, we bought a CHURCH and every Sunday morning we go to CHURCH!)

I wonder if anyone has tips on how to run a 'worship service', has anyone been to one that was a blessing to them?

A few years ago I was invoved in a bible study. I went to church on sundays, bible study on tuesdays and potluck dinner on thursdays. Several of my friends in that group went to a conference called One Day. You can learn more about this one day a year where thousands of college kids get together in a town, that year 2000 in Tennessee, to sing and praise God. They put out a cd of the music called Passion that is available in most Christian retail stores.

Also, Sonic Flood is a great group that sings some great songs. The way had some okay songs but I was not that impressed. Christian music has evolved to where it gets even the most quiet person to sing along too becuase the music is great and the love is all around.

all the world is but a stage

I love the song about "you can't keep a good man down" and cartoon characters getting saved.

I wonder if that cartoon song is by the guy who used to do the impersonations at the ROA.

Some of the music is lame, but even the lame songs are better than antying TWI thought of producing.

Insurge...

The cartoon song is by Chris Rice and the name of it is "Cartoons."

"Can't Keep A Good Man Down" is by Newsong

Both are really great and the kids LOVE the cartoon song!

Megan....

Sonicflood is one of the best bands out there. "Write Your Name Upon My Heart" is just one of their great songs.

corrydj

ladda~dee ladee~daa