GreaseSpot Cafe

What is it about the full moon?

ex10

Funny, but I've had a handful of friends (mostly hospital and mental health personnel) comment to me this week, that they were dreading this week-end because of the full moon, and they have to work.

Even a pastor friend I was talking to said that his phone was gonna ring off the hook this week-end. Then Mom, (who is a former medical person) remarked about how things would go nuts at work during a week-end that had a full moon.

What is it about the full moon???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ex10 -- Zixar will probably have a logical explanation, but where I live (within 3 miles of TWO universities), the full moon brings out the best (ahem --cough!!) Worst! icon_eek.gif of the college students who live here on my block.

Parties go up, public indecency rises, and I guess it is somewhat akin to the change of seasons, such as Spring or Fall, when "juices flow", and people feel like doing something.

The group home I work at, has 4 very "laid-back" gents living there, but oddly enough -- when a full moon comes around, they ALL feel like going out and "doing" something.

Go figure. icon_confused.gif:confused:--> icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

I've heard a variety of possible answers.

Some people have talked about the earth's magnetic field. Some have talked about

gravitic effects. Some have cited the global increase in temperature a few

degrees during a full moon. Some have mentioned the increased light.

Some have invoked "the placebo effect"-you EXPECT to feel more energy, so you

FEEL more energy. Most of the answers I've read have been attacked as

unscientific for one reason or another.

Me, I have to dismiss the increased light as a reason. In NYC, the ambient light

is almost identical under the new moon as it is under the full moon. Further,

the effects seem the same under cloudy skies.

The placebo effect is probably true to a degree, and was the position I originally

held. I eventually discarded it in the face of experiencing too much of it that

I couldn't wave away. What got my attention is that people I know could tell if

the full moon was in the sky by observing my behaviour-even if the moon was

blocked by clouds and I was under the misimpression that we were under the

quarter moon.

So, I'm currently convinced this is a physical phenomenon more than a

psychological one. Do I have a pat answer as to WHY? Not yet. The temperature

one is still a viable possibility. However, I observe that it happens, so I know

THAT it happens even if I don't know WHY.

I'd prefer to know WHY, but I don't know, so that's that.

Well, I'm a romantic I suppose but I can say from experience all kinds of nice things happen under a big full moon. icon_cool.gif

We live just next to some nice hills to the east and I love it when the full moon comes up over them, like a big silver dollar.

Feel a song comin' on...Somewhere Out There

Somewhere out there,

Beneath the pale blue night,

Someone's thinking of me,

And loving me tonight.

Somewhere out there,

Someone's saying a prayer,

Then we'll find one another,

In that big somewhere out there.

And even though I know how very far apart we are,

It helps to think we might be wishing

On the same bright star,

And when the night will start to sing

A lonesome lullaby,

It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky.

Somewhere out there,

If love can see us through,

Then, we'll be together,

Somewhere out there, out where dreams, come true.

I was standing all alone against the world outside. You were searching for a place to hide....

Now I've found you, there's no more emptiness inside. When we're hungry love will keep us alive.

The Eagles

So...is it safe to say that those of us who dance nakee under the full moon may simply be enjoying ourselves? That we have no real basis for considering the night of a full moon a more magically powerful night than others?

Kewl! I hope people remember this if they're ever inclined to participate in a human b-b-que. icon_wink.gif;)--> anim-smile.gificon_eek.gificon_razz.gif:P-->

cwgreengold.jpg

Mostly I just think the full moon is pretty to look at. And looking at it through a telescope it becomes all lumpy and bumpy.

But I do remember when I worked at the hospital in the new born nursery that we would be full during the full moon and also the new moon.

And later when I moved to a med-surg floor that's when we would get the most crazies. The kind you have to restrain and give good drugs to. So I can't really agree with Zixar's link. Even tho it's interesting to read.

A bunch of us nurses were talking about this very thing once. We decided that maybe it was because humans are made up mostly of water. And maybe the moon works on humans like it does the tides. Ut then we were full of coffee and sugar so who knows.

I wonder if it may be tied into circadian rhythms in some way. We know they exist in humans, and in fact those on zocor and the like are usually informed to take it in the evening because that is when it is most effective on the liver.

One of the ways that growers of ornamental plants can "force" or retard the flowering process is by altering the length of daylight and dark periods.

Bees do seem to have a way to tell time, and if you move a hive across several time zones, they go "nuts" in their activity periods, but eventually settle down to "normal" in the new time zone. How do bees do this?

Many larger animals seem to have their estrus or fertility cycles timed to the decreasing length of daylight hours.

I can't explain how they do this...just as I can't explain why horseshoe crabs come out of the water to mate and lay eggs at special high tides...really - they live at the bottom of the ocean - how do they "know".

I suspect there is much to learn here about all these things. These rhythms definitely appear to have a master clock of some sort, but scientists don't really know what it is. But I don't believe that when we see things related to full moons that we are crazy or reading into things something which is not there. There is too much we don't know about it to say "there is no connection" out of hand.

But, of course, that is my opinion - tempered by what I believe to be true about the natural world.

I have to also disagree with zixar on this. I worked in nursing homes for many years and have to say that we dreaded full moons.

Even the most tame of residents became wild. On those nights I've been attacked physically. They simply go wild. And don't even dare go into the alzheimers units.

If you do not tell the truth about yourself you can not tell it about other people.

virginia woolfe

Interesting points, Krys. I think we're much more connected, at least physically, to the world around us than some would believe.

I've heard from more than one nurse that the number of births in the hospitals they work in increase when there's a full moon. That should be a pretty easy fact to document, if it's true.

Well, it seems to me to be beyond "coincidental" that so many doctors, nurses and nursing home staff people notice differences in patients during the full moon. Even my skeptical sis-in-law, who's a LDR (labor and delivery) nurse at the local hospital swears the unit fills up during the full moon.

Tonight's the night, I guess. icon_wink.gif;)-->

I had a customer service job once. When the full moon came, I would be ready, after many months of noticing that the disappointed customers would automatically surface on that day as the irate customers and they would all call in, nasty as heck.

I was just glad when the full moon fell on the week end.

WB

Asked why he began studying Greek at age 94, Oliver Wendell Holmes replied,"Well, my good sir, it's now or never!"

There is a thought that menstrual/fertility cycles coincide with the full moon and dark moon. Sleeping under the light of the moon is supposed to help regulate a woman's cycle to ovulating at the full moon, menses at the dark. Haven't tried it myself.(Don't really care!)

Love the full moon, though, being of that nakee dancing persuasion.

I work at a residential treatment center for kid and i know even the youngest of kid are effected. So i dont think it is a learned social behavior.

I will say that the most powerful sensis I have ever had was over a full moon. I looked up in the heavens and thought "I am seeing what Jesus Christ saw... 2000 yrs ago. I am sure King David saw the same thing and wondered How great thou art. For some reason the reality of J.Cs existence was confirmed ,validated or just the realization I too at a different point in time was able to see what he also viewed. Made me feel special and close to Him.

O.K.

I tried my best to stay away from this again, but...

Looky, despite all of the "Don't tell me, I KNOW!" type of testimonies, the statistics simply do not back up the assertions.

There are NOT more births, accidents, murders, suicides, earthquakes, or "Ice Capades" performances during a full moon.

How about this:

The moon is full, or appears to be so (how many of us actually check each month as to what day the actual full moon is?) for several days. You could stretch it just a bit and still sorta kinda call it a "full" moon for maybe as much as a week. That's 1/4 of the time!

Now, just add a little "confirmation bias" and then whenever a weird event happens and you notice the moon appears full, "Well, look at that! That pesky moon is doing it's thing again!" On those occasions where the weird thing happens and you don't notice a full moon, well, do you remember that? No, I wouldn't think so.

And for those of you still convinced of the moon's mysterious effects, what pray tell, is the power that it is exerting? Gravity? Have Zixar explain to you how much gravitational pull the moon works on you (it ain't much).

I guess beliefs are wonderful (so they tell me), but how can one continue to believe in something when all the evidence points to the contrary? I don't get it...

geo.

Having spent much of my youth on rural Indiana farms, I've always loved seeing the full moon in that deep clear country starfield. Besides the rich sky scene, the way it put it's soft silvery glow over foilage and rolling lansdcape was always bewitchingly beautiful to me.

But that was then and this is now. I have lived my adult times in large towns that greatly reduced the night views by the haze and reflected city light effects. Where I am now in metro Detroit, it is the worst ever to see any night show.

Back in the late '80s, I worked for a while in an Amoco convenience store in Ft. Wayne. I was working third shift in a mixed black and poor white trash neighborhood about a mile south of the drug district. We were the only place open at night within a five mile circle, so everyone knew where we were.

My customers were a broad spectrum of every type of humanity possible. There were many honest night workers, many pimps, prostitutes, homos, cross dressers, and evildoers of every sort. I showed them all due respect as paying customers and had a good rapport with all but the crabbiest of them.

I was talking to a cop after one particularly hectic night and was asking him if it was a wierd on the street as it had been for me.

He replied with; "Well it is the full moon, isn't it."

I laughed because I knew it was just a superstition. He shook his head and told me to keep an eye on it and see what happens. He said all the cops see it and believe it.

I decided to keep it in the back of my mind. Whenever I saw folks being wierd, I'd check the moon and too many times it was full. When I knew the moon was full, I definitely noticed more wierdness, but then again, I may have seen it because I was looking for it.

However, on many a rough night, a conversation with a cop went like this.

"Bad night out there?"

"Yeah the perps are pretty antzy."

"Yeah, here too, the customers have been wired all night. Full moon I see."

"No crap, when it is full, they crawl out from under the rocks."

"Well, it's getting daylight soon."

"Yeah, can't wait for this one to be over."

From my perspective, what I saw was an antzyness, with a shorter fuse on the temper in people. I didn't believe it at first but it is there.

It is not something you can measure in a beaker in a sanitary science experiment in daylight. You have to become a creature of the night for an extended time to see it in action, and then it will take a while to see it.

icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Way II much fun for one man.

love ya,

Bob Hansen