GreaseSpot Cafe

Cool names for pets.

RottieGrrrl

Let's see: I had Beau.

I still have Tarzana (named by her former owner because the cat used to snag her nails on the curtain and swing back and forth).

Then I got a cat I named Moses, after the cat in the song by Joshua Kadison.

Moses didn't last long: died very quickly, so I replaced him with...

Joshua! Because Joshua comes after Moses. I have one more. As you may have guessed, his name is Judge.

• 5 weeks later...

My folks have had 2 Irish setters while i was growing up.

The first one we named 'Kelly' (male dog) that knew that i was the youngest of the family and always protected me, even from my older sisters trying to spank me from trouble i had gotten into.

The second Irish setter my folks had that was a registered Irish setter we named 'Heather Honey' cause she was a real sweetheart of a dog. Always barked at people going by when she was in her kennel but was everyones friend when she was out and about with us around.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a golden palimino that my husband bought me, we named him Ali Money,

Jeff bought him as soon as he stopped paying the 1st wife hers.

My mare's name is BJ and my gelding's name is Jazzy Time.

Before I had my 3rd son I had 2 minature schnoozers named Max and Izzy.

(4 the record the horse I'm on in my picture is BJ)

• 2 years later...

A friend of mine long ago had a black cocker spaniel named Zachariah Nephesh Kai.

A cousin of my husband's had an Irish setter named Caesar Red Salad. He called him Salad.

Our recently deceased cocker spaniel was named Michael's Smart Maxwell and called Maxx.

Our first child was half yellow lab and half Irish setter and named Brandy, but he answered to just about anything, including Boo-Boo, Beast, Beastie Paws, and just Paws. He had the biggest feet we'd ever seen on a puppy. He grew to be 90 lb., taller than a lab, much smarter than an Irish setter.

Our present elderly lab is named Sophie, but we call her the queen.

WG

I have a tortoise that I've had for about 15 years.

I've never named him.

No particular reason, just never did.

My son has a female cat that he named Michael, in honor of M. Jordan.

Seems a bit unusual to name a female after a male, but the cat doesn't seem to mind at all.

Our first cat was named Magnolia Thunder ***** after an ice cream store of the same name in San Francisco.

We called him Thunder, because even as a kitten he thundered around the house.

We also had a black Lab called Shadow Underfoot, because that's what he did, shadow you and get under your feet!

Then we had Ploom who was a Maine Coon. She was named for a puppet on an old TV show called Monte Carlo, she liked to run across the top of the sofa like the puppet did.

Now we have Saucy, who is!

She is a very sweet long haired diluted Tortishell (sp) kitty who weighs 13#'s.

She sleeps with us, and loves to give kisses.

Actually, that is why I rescued her at the pound.

I picked her up and she started licking my cheek, she had me at first lick!

Hee Hee

Because of our lifestyles and lease, we have wierd animals. Well I think they're wierd, but that's most of the fun.

All are buried at the daddy tree now.

We've had LuLu the transgender dwarf hamster who had her name changed to Louie when we got better instruction on how to tell boy/girl in this critter.

We had him for nearly three years, a huge time for dwarf hamsters til we had to euthanize him, then I missed him so much we got Ed, another dwarf, who lived almost as long as Louie.

Someone was going to throw away another hamster, a teddy bear one, so we adopted him. His name was Peanuts and he lived until just after Ed died and I think he died of a broken heart, missing his friend.

We had love birds named Laverne and Shirley that my oldest used to take outside for sun and one day decided they also needed a shower from the garden hose.

She also had a beautiful black lab, perhaps our only normal pet, named Tiphara. She lives on a farm in Arkansas now.

We had a chicken named Icecream who I left out on the porch and forgot about. A cat took his head.

We've had a frog that was freely hopping around the house, I forget his name; something like poop or turd or something equally as gross.

I stepped on him in the middle of the night. The only greasespot in our family. :biglaugh:

Kelly got two fish for Christmas, they are named Will and Grace

My birthday is coming up and I'm getting myself another dwarf hamster, will name it when I see what it looks like.

Edited by Shellon

One of my foster children had a cockatiel named Sharlene. She left; the bird stayed, and loved my husband dearly, sitting on his shoulder and picking at the whisker stubs on his cheek. He did not appreciate this affection so Sharlene went to a new home.

Our first child was Brandy, half yellow lab and half Irish setter. He was 90 lb of confidence and smart as a whip. Used to run with Mr. Garden, who ran long distances in his youth. Brandy would keep the farm dogs away, then when we moved into a more suburban area, kept the neighborhood dogs from bothering anybody with tooth and claw, and by peeing on the smaller yip-yaps who came out to chase them.

We also had a female dog for a little while who was also half lab and half Irish setter, maybe, named Lucille La Cur. She got the Irish setter brain, unfortunately, and met her doom on the highway in front of our house.

Another foster child had a girl dog named Haifa. He also had a cat named Genesis, who made a decision at some point to make an Exodus.

Right now, Sophie is an only dog and will be as long as she lives. Then, who knows? Hopefully another cocker spaniel like Maxx, or maybe another lab like Sophie, or....???

My mom as a child had a cat named Pittiwitts. My grandmother stepped on its little head as she was coming down the steps with a full laundry basket. Pittiwitts was never the same after that, went a little bonkers.

They had a beagle named Polly who chased all the hobos away. And an English setter named Count whom my grandmother called No Count.

WG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Our new, beautiful, flashy black and white tricolor cocker spaniel is named "Miss Bodacious Buckeye." She is five months old now, full of sass and dash, a real snuggler and cute as a button. We call her Buckeye, or sometimes just "Bucks" which is what she cost us. Her first trick was racing to the car or truck to go for a ride when we picked up the keys and asked her "GO BUCKS!?"

My grandson, an Ohio State fan from his cradle, named her. Everyone thinks she's a boydog, but we don't care.

WG

• 4 years later...

Just found this entertaining thread.

My current cats are called "Tuxedo" and "Crypto" - Tuxedo because she is all-black except for a white V on her chest, white toes (only - not feet), and white whiskers. Looks so beautiful. Other cat is Crypto because she spent her first three months with me hiding under the cabinets in the kitchen. She is all-black.

My previous cat was called Twinkletoes - he was quick on his feet and would sneak into the house if the door was ever left open. Not just my door - anyone's door. He also adopted my next door neighbour - she called him John after her recently deceased husband. Very good at giving comfort, that cat...he first started appearing on my doorstep as a tiny kitten when I was utterly devastated after TWI. I needed something to love...and Twinkletoes invited himself in. (There's a thread in Pet Memoriam or whatever it's called, RIP Twinkletoes).

Growing up, we had a cat called Mr Pod (no idea why, named before I was born) who was also known as Podgy (he was a bit fat). Lived to a very old age. Very affectionate cat.

Later, I had a longhaired Persian cat - he was grey in lighter and darker stripes round his body and a darker stripe along his back. I called him Possum because I had an idea that that's what opossums look a bit like. (I don't know why I thought that)

A place I used to stay was occupied by a man with one arm, who had a 3-legged cat. We called the cat Tripod...and tried not to call the man the same name...!

Oh, Twinkletoes was later nicknamed Twinky...and when I needed a name here, that's what I eventually settled on. So I guess I'm named after a cat.

I got a male kitten for Christmas that I named Tobias.

At just 10 wks old he fits in very well with my other pets.

A brown and black mix German Sheppard and saint Bernard dog named Bruno. All 130 lbs of love

His best friend a dog named Coty a male Pomeranian. 22 lbs.

A white female, Bianca and a while male named Buster.

A grey russian blue cat- Azzurro

Another cat, black as night named Pixie.

A cat tortoise shell like named Sonya.

Hope I didn't miss anyone!