GreaseSpot Cafe

What's your favorite children's book and why?

jezusfreaky

I have quite a few...but I'll start with two:

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Awesome book about giving out of love and never asking for anything in return. I have loved this book since I was a kid...no kid should be without it.

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

I love this book because I have a son with ADHD and it helped me and him understand him better. It is just a wonderful imaginary story.

Ok....who's next??? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Peace and Love.

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

Good Night Moon, of course, as it's so sweet and easy for the little ones to memorize and be able to say with me - and a little old lady whispering "hush." Man, if I had a dime for every time I've read that one to a child...

Would You Still Love Me? is a favorite because it covers all sorts of possible changes that could happen (Like the child turning into an apple tree or a star) and asks the question of the Mama - Would you still love me if? It's great assurance for little ones that no matter WHAT, they will always be loved.

I'm a big Shel Silerstein fan too, jesusfreaky - I think my favorite of his poems is Sarah Sylvia Cynthia Stout (would not take the garbage out...) I've had all his books as long as I can remember and read them more than any other books I read for my own pleasure - tee hee.

I'm also a Pooh Bear fan, but my daughter isn't.

Now that my daughter is older, my current favorite to read with her is Pippi Longstocking.

B - Better

O - Off

W - Without

t - the

w - way

i - international

Aw, freaky, you hit me where I live! icon_smile.gif:)--> I have a collection of children's books, some of which I use when I teach movement to preschoolers. They are wonderful at putting big ideas into few words, like poetry.

The books mentioned so far are wonderful! Here are a few more...

• I Love You the Purplest -- addresses sibling rivalry for mom's love
  • The Salamander Room -- a boy's willingness to do everything to make his new-found pet happy
  • Miss Rumphius -- about the lady who planted lupines everywhere, making her corner of the world a little better
  • The Dance (by Richard Paul Evans, who wrote The Christmas Box) -- made me cry, because she danced for her father, and part of me does, too!

For older children's books, I would recommend Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, and Lois Lowry's The Giver.

Regards,

Shaz

Oh yeah, Pirate-pal...and I love the Lorax too...Looooooooove Dr. Seuss...

Shaz...how 'bout Butterfly Kisses...another goodie...

For a good funny book I recommend The True story of the 3 Little Pigs...it tells it from the wolf's point of view...I love that book...of course anybody who knows me knows I'd be on the wolf's side anyway...sorry Piggy Poo!!! LOL!!! icon_wink.gif;)-->

Peace and Love.

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

As a parent, my daughter and I liked "The Velveteen rabbit", "Hello Moon", and "Where the Wild Things Are".

As a kid, I liked "The Spaceship Under the Apple Tree" and "A Wrinkle in Time". In my early teens, I read a lot of Heinlein science fiction.

Funny, I don't recall what I liked when I was a kid, but from the parent side I have to concur with Runaway Bunny, Good night moon, and Love you forever. In Love you forever it cracks me up when the mom drives over to the adult son's house late at night and enters his bed room via ladder and does the routine.

Excath-

I too love "I love you forever". My mom gave it to all of us kids, and it made me cry too. Right now I have a sixteen year old son with the walkman thing like the kid in the book, and my nineteen year old daughter who is away at a Maritime school sent my wife a birthday card that said;

I love you forever,

I'll like you for always

As long as I'm living

your daughter I'll be

icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_frown.gif:(--> icon_smile.gif:)--> tears..

The little Prince

by Antoine De Saint'Exupery

This little book written in 1942 has won the best of awards in France and America .

Summary An aviator whose plane is forced down in the Sahara Desert encounters a little prince from a small planet, who relates his adventures in seeking what is important in life.

I actualy read this book in college for the first time it is very profound and has won numerous awards . it is a french book with many translations , still in print. It is a lifetime keeper !

The Princess Bride, much better than the movie see if you can find it in the original!

The good DR with a collection of his Zakz , stars and ham and green eggs always a favorite!

I first heard about the "I Love You Forever" book from one of my nursery schools. All the teachers had passed it around, and they ALL got weepy over it! They're all moms as well as teachers. There's a reason why I have hung around with them since 1986... icon_wink.gif;)-->

Today, we danced a few pages of the book Aska's Birds. Beautiful illustrations where the artist has owls resembling snowy evergreens, and ostriches resembling tutu'd ballerinas. (You'd have to see it to get what I mean.) Unique!

Regards,

Shaz