GreaseSpot Cafe

What on TV is loving and has some truths in them that you watch

year2027

dmiller, it's on CBS--on Friday at 8 p.m. in my neck of the woods.

It's about a high school girl to whom God appears in all sorts of forms, from small children to phone company linemen. He asks her to do things that, on the surface seem outrageous, but once she's done them, the purpose is clear and it always benefits someone else (and usually her, too, eventually).

Subplots involve her father, the chief of police (now former chief of police) who fights corruption in the department and in city hall, a loving mom who teaches art at her school, an older brother in a wheelchair as the result of a car accident (played by John Ritter's son), and a brilliant and geeky younger brother.

herbiejuan:

"The Simpsons"

"ya got to listen close but it's there"

Really?

We had kind of lumped 'The Simpsons' in with 'Southpark'. It had seemed to us that both were fairly dis-respectful, and encouraged children to dis-order. We have only watched either of them very breifly, when we returned stateside last. Since gaining that impression of both shows, we have not watched them. Rather it is easiler for us to just leave the Telly off, unless there is a specific show that we desire to catch. Unfortunately it is a fairly common occurance that whatever show we were wanting to catch, gets canceled of 'bumped'. So scheduling our time becomes useless.

It is true about the Simpsons being a show about a loving family with values.

My son forced me to watch a few shows and I saw it , it is done in a entertainment kind of way that show Bart as a bit unmanagble but he loves his family and they love one another and they love the born again christians next door etc..it shows family as many see it in reality I think .

But I still do not like the show . I thought my children could tho.

I'm with Linda on Joan of Arcadia. Really well-written. The woman at the helm hails from (among other things) Northern Exposure. She describes the spiritual aspect of the show as being about questions (rather than anwers) - about God, about life, about relationships, etc. The conception of God is fairly refreshing (and he's really funny too).

My criterion for good TV is whether or not it provokes conversation. Joan of Arcadia definitely does that.

Pam's (somewhat random yet possibly intriguing) Link-of-the-Week

I doubt anyone will agree .

But I think Star Trek is a cool show.

fantasy future with very cool aliens.

it is about a group being stuck together on a ship for a very long time maybe forever.

the captain is a woman, and every player has a different culture and background . the Dr. is a computer program etc.

loving ?? well they do have 'prime directive" that says no other culture or alien can be harmed in their mission to explore space.

quote:
Originally posted by Galen:

We had kind of lumped 'The Simpsons' in with 'Southpark'. It had seemed to us that both were fairly dis-respectful, and encouraged children to dis-order.

Actually, South Park is the show that I was going to put here. I agree with most of the political stuff they say on the show, and I think they usually use absurd situations to deal with social issues. Of course, as they clearly warn at the beginning and between commercials, it's rated MA-17 or something like that, which means that parents shouldn't be allowing their kids to watch the show. I wouldn't let a kid under 13 watch The Simpsons either I would think. It's slightly off-topic so I don't want to start a debate about it, but it amazes me that parents seem to think that cartoons are for kids just because they are drawn rather than using real actors. Shows like The Simpsons and South Park were never intended to be for children.

quote:
Originally posted by Galen:

Rather it is easiler for us to just leave the Telly off, unless there is a specific show that we desire to catch.

I think we both agree here. When we moved, I decided against even getting a satellite dish or cable for now. We get the local news channels which is pretty much all I need, and the wife gets her Spanish language channels (actually, there are more over the air for free than we could pay for with either satellite or cable) and if there is anything special we want, all we have to do is download it from someone else that has a ReplayTV. My wife is getting to see "Sex in the City" this way, all for the cost of a DSL connection.

Well, I'm probably not gonna get too many people to agree with me on this one because I wouldn't classify it as a loving show, but I like to watch Raymond because it makes me laugh!

So, since laughing is therapeutic (here's my reasoning), then it is being loving to myself to watch it!

Asked why he began studying Greek at age 94, Oliver Wendell Holmes replied,"Well, my good sir, it's now or never!"

I remeber data ! he was always concerned about having real feelings he was a robot .

I remember always watching star trek my sister said the other day I have always made time in my life to watch that. they put it on in the middle of the night now but I still watch it!

I have another one that I really like but am a closet watcher I remember being a tiny child and insisting my parents turn to oh Lord have mercy the Lawrence Welk show! In its day it really was a hip show even for an old persons show. I liked watching the dancers and now they do reruns on Sudays nights with commentary from all the people that danced and sang on it.

i would always hurry up with the dishes to watch that show as a kid I was the only one who watched it and we only had one tv! haha and I like the reruns just as much it is a loving show and very happy very funny.

but it was a secret . I must be getting old for real now cause I will admit to trying to watch it when I can , but funniest home video is on at the same time or a disney movie now so if Im watching I forget to look for it.

The Andy Griffith show. Opie, Andy, Barney, Ernest T. Bass, Aunt Bee, Thelma Lou, Floyd, Gomer, Goober, Miss Crump, Otis, and the occasional visitor from "down in Mt. Pilot".

I remember once that as a guest actor, and a very very bit part, Jack Nicholson showed up as some sort of a "misguided young man". But Barney set him straight..haha!!

I love that show. My kids watch it with us from time to time, and they like it too..

Hopefully I won't offend anyone but I love The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. and Bill Maher's new show on HBO.

And I got to meet Mary Steenburgen (one of the actors in Joan of Arcadia) whose father worked for the same railroad my grandfather did in Northern Arkansas... I met her when she and her husband (John Becker/Sam Malone/ Ted Danson) came to the phoenix area for the now ended campaign of Wes Clark.

I think ya gotta have a DISH NETWORK Satelite to get it but RFTD Channell is a great find. It was inspired by rural free delivery the first free postal delivery system in the U.S. for citizens living outside the confines of metropolitan city districts. It is a channell that survives by donations from members versus corporate sponsorship. I think you might find it entertaining a times!