GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys I ask of you a favor. Below you will find a couple of quotes from James French in his thread on way logo. He and I email each other and I asked him if I could bring a couple of his quotes over here. He agreed to allow that. The thing is he is gone, not to return to gs. So with that in mind can we just allow these quotes to add to this thread and not address him regarding it. As he will not be here to respond to our words.

I just wanted to add them to the thread for our thoughts, we may agree or disagree, but his voice I wanted in this thread. Okeedokee.

quote:
But, back to the issue at hand. No, not all rock music is Devilish. Certainly not, but the tendency is that the amount and degree of Satanic activity in the Rock field has only increased from the 1960's onward. When you compare early Beatles music to today's music, it sounds and IS so innocent.

Some of the vocals, and even guitar work, is spewing out the actual hate of the Devil. The vocals are hideous not only technically, but spiritually. As Winton Marselis the great Jazz Trumpeter has said, "We are losing harmony and melody in music." I have long ago departed from listening to most rock other than some from the 60's and early 70's (there are exceptions of course) and have now mostly listen to Jazz and blues which still retain a high degree of quality and integrity in the music though even there, there are influences that I don't like, but they are less blatant, less likely to trigger a Columbine situation.

quote:
I have found that for example I dislike spiritually the Doors song "Riders On The Storm," but technically I think it is good music. I like it despite its bad spiritualness, but it can't hurt me because I am aware of it. Though it does say a few things about spirits, the fallen angels

"(nto this house were born, into this world we are thrown, like a dog without a bone," etc.

"Riders on the storm...there's a killer on the road, his mind is squirming like a toad, if you give that man a ride, sweet memory will die, riders on the storm."

Thanks yall for your allowance of me to ask what I have,

Kathy

I think Ark hit the nail on the head. The spirituality in the music was what you made of it.

Same thing with the drugs. There were kids who took the drugs along with the music, and there were those who were into the music sans the drugs. I know I was part of the latter.

Frankly, I think some folks use that "rock n roll leads to drugs" line as a crutch; to avoid taking responsibility for their own actions. Its all too easy to look for the scapegoat.

"Its not yer fault, kid. Its the beat of the music."

Yeah, right!

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

Garth,

Yes please by all means, I just do not want his character addressed as he is not here to defend himself. I agree he is way to serious about himself, but we have a relationship via email and I am somewhat protective of him since I have chosen to bring him over here.

Again, you are wonderful to work with me on this.

Kathy

I think they can influence our emotions, for some that may be spirituality. For me, it is a part of it.

Does that make it bad? I don't think so. It's all up to what you do with it. Sad music can help me cry when I need to. Angry music can help me rage when I need to. Happy music can help me celebrate when I need to. and so on............

To every man his own truth and his own God within.

Abi,

I agree. In fact I think part of what kept me telling myself "okay Kath you can hang in there a bit longer" was the influence of some of Way Prod's songs.

When T**** sings the darker the night the brighter the light I got goose bumps. I found myself thinking "well yes you have a need to remain in twi and try and do your portion towards helping folks get healed up in their minds and heart". I would feel my value in twi when listening to certain songs.

Then on other music I have to not listen to songs at times, cause they just work up too much emotion for me at times. My baby sister who died a few years ago had a favorite group Steely Dan, even a song with her name by them "Josie". I could not listen to SD for six months after she died. Today can listen to it and smile for her sweet soul as I hear her song sang.

Kathy

I don't do any present music. Why? Because the creativity is gone. It's all **** this, **** that, **** you, poppa cap in this one, take off your clothes. And it's either sampled, synthesized, or played at the decibel level of an F-16 at take-off. And I love telling some young snot that the top 40 hit he's crowing about is a re-make of a 20 or 30 year old song (I really love whipping out the CD & watching their jars hit the ground!).

Jazz is my refuge. And no, not that teppid, nauseating Kenny G type noise...I mean some Coltrane, Bird, Dizzy, Miles Davis, a LOT of Louie Armstrong ( I saw him live at Preservation Hall as a boy...YES!!!), some of the big band sounds.

But my favorite, my numero uno...is Prince. Yeah, I know, but the man has talent, has his own unique sound...though some of his lyrics are WAY out there. Always did listen to him, even while I was "in". Had FCs, WCs, etcs tell me he was a fag, posessed, full of debbil spurts, yadda, yadda, yadda. Still bought his CDs.

I think that parents should monitor what thier kids listen to, but not to the point of being anal like the way is. Find that middle balance: don't be anal, but don't let 'em run loose.

...on the 8th Day, GOD made the Harley, & it was Good.

Weout1200,

A fav of mine is Elton John, heard the same words regarding him and his music. My reply was "I'm a big girl, I think I can deal with his music, oh which is pretty fine and not get all wacked out spiritually".

If twi payed as much attention to the doing of the Word as they did to telling us what we could and should not do, well heck they may not be drowning.

Kathy

I went through a stage, after leaving "the cult", where I ate up as much modernist "classical" works as I could get my ears on. I was particularly interested in American composers, like Charles Ives, Aaron Copland, William Schuman,

Alan Hovahness...I don't know why, but I found the "dissonant" works to be rather cathartic.

I think it largely depends on an individual's tastes. Some works, which may be difficult to absorb at first, require repeated listenings, which may cause one's appreciation and understanding of a work to blossom, or in some cases, not.

My old room-mate, who had been involved in the Way for many years, was a composer who recorded his own albums at home, and he would give friends a copy of his music. One time he gave me a tape of his stuff, which I personally enjoyed and found immensely peaceful and contemplative.

Other "Way-bots" to whom he gave a copy of his music, complained and gossiped amongst themselves how his songs dragged, and how "spiritually off" his stuff was. I was really taken aback by this response, because I had quite the opposite reaction. But that was reflective at the time of the restrictions of mind to which people in the Way fenced in themselves - music had to be "happy" and "poppy" positive, "biblically correct", "edifying", tasteless garbage. Otherwise, I guess there was that danger of a wrong chord pouncing on them and opening their minds up to derbil spurts.

We're very complex, emotional beings. There are times when the soul craves and needs the blues, a violent dissonant thunder, a series of blow-the-roof-off-the-house power chords, a Hendrix bomb, a spanish guitar piece, a choral piece, etc., etc.

Things which remind us that we're still alive.

Certainly a gifted composer is able to still produce a masterpiece in even the most repressive of environments, such as Shostakovich

did under Stalin. But sadly I rarely witnessed Shostakoviches appearing on the stage under the "bigtop".

Danny

quote:
But that was reflective at the time of the restrictions of mind to which people in the Way fenced in themselves - music had to be "happy" and "poppy" positive, "biblically correct", "edifying", tasteless garbage. Otherwise, I guess there was that danger of a wrong chord pouncing on them and opening their minds up to derbil spurts.

and all of that = BORING, BORING, BORING

When you have those many controls, then it becomes pretty tough to come up with an original and inspired tune.

And, forget about anything in a minor key - you'd be a greasespot by midnight for sure!

'til the next time...

I for one, am waiting anxiously to hear from Ted about his meetings with Elvis, and his thoughts on music from the 60's and beyond.

It's been anything but boring, Ted.

Was that an open invitation to all greasespotters to attend the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with you? Be careful what you put out there, because now I'm thinking if I'm ever in Cleveland it'd be the only way to see it!

What was the story on the Way orchestra? I thought they had some pretty decent musicianship, tho the charts were vapid, vapid, vapid.

Anyway, you spose Aaron Copeland is any kin to Kenneth Copeland?

Naaaaahhhhhhhh

csa_3rdnat.gif

DEO VINDICE!!

Ron G.

I agree there's a lot of vapid trash out there

now, but I'd hardly say it's ALL vapid trash.

Then again, I think that some of the contemporary

music has ALWAYS been vapid trash.

I think it's easier to spot now, since now you can

add a visual to vapid trash & market it. Before,

nothing could rescue something bad musically.

On the other hand, a bad visual can still make

some great music. The Rolling Stones are still

on tour, & they escaped from the Center for the

Visually Unpleasant. I'm not so crazy about

Aerosmith's looks either-but go ahead & play me

all their songs.

You might be surprised-a number of visually-

pleasant artists have some pretty good stuff too.

However, if you watch your videos with the sound

down to save your ears from Britney, you might

not notice that. (One friend pointed out her

songs are in ONE CHORD. I was wondering what the

problem was.,.)

I don't have it on hand at the moment, but

somewhere, I have this quote about the state of

the youths. They are disrespectful & lacking

values, etc, etc.

Who said it? Socrates.

Ron G.

I enjoyed you comments about how broad your tastes are in music not many people know about the pop music of the eighteen hundreds and folks there was some pretty good stuff that came out of those days.Like music of the gay nineties man today you would not call it the gay nineties unless you wanted the homo haters breathing down your throat ( no pun intended)

Highway29 my offer stands for you and all grease spotters who would come to Cleveland to see The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame

You Just let me know and I will get the tickets and take you down to ninth street by the lake

I was not going to post anymore tonight but had to get up to make a pit stop so away we go.Before I share my two encounters with Elvis.Let's talk a little about his impact on the fifties culture and why he was so loved by the youth and dissliked by many of the older folks.Elvis came out of the deep south and listened to and was influnced by the black and country music so his style of singing reflected all that.When he burst on the scene in 1956 people were amazed that how so quickly he became the rage.His gyrating movements and gut level fellings he put into his songs were awsome.I guess you all know that he had a number hit around the world recently. Well back in the middle fifties the critics of his music put him down calling him a nigger singer and were apauled by his obscene sexual movements.But the kids loved him and they did not care what Mom And Pop had to say they wanted more and more of him and he gave it to them hit after hit.He was a great entertainer.Along with Elvis came many fine rock and roll groups like Jerry Lee Lewis,Everly Brothers,The Platters doo wop songs and many more fine groups writers and singers.Also an amazing thing happened for the first time black and white perfomers were on the same bill and stage doing concerts together I believe that was the first signs of things to come in the civil rights movements.The fifties music was mostly happy full of joy and oh how those kids could and did dance,To this day if you are out playing in a club and you start playing some songs from those yeart the dance floor will fill up with young and old alike.This one is getting a little lengthy so will post and my next one will be about my twice meetings with Elvis.

Thanks to all for letting me share.

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on November 24, 2002 at 1:31.]

Wow, there's some great stuff on this thread. It's great to read all these perspectives. I've really enjoyed reading all this through.

Ted's on a roll! Ted knows his chit. Ted, I remember seeing all the boxes of albums you had when we were setting up shop in '74. Ted had (still?) an incredibly diverse listening library, both long and deep in artist's and selection. I had left most of mine at home when we went in the corps so it was great to see and listen to stuff you had.

Speaking of music and it's effect, Kathy - we went tonight over to a club in Oakland, CA. with some friends and heard Kenny Burrell, a jazz guitarist who's been around since the 40's. Sat at tables in the front row, not 5 feet from him and the band. I've listened to him since his "Man at Work" album, but never seen him live. He's an exquisite player in the traditional jazz style, one he helped to form on guitar. It was awesome

For music fans, and jazz fans in general, I'd highly recommend catching Kens Burns's jazz series the next time it runs locally on PBS where you live, if you haven't. It is an incredible documentary on the history of American jazz and hits on a lot of the things Ted's talking about. I have the book too and met him at a preview earlier this year for his latest piece on Mark Twain, another favorite of mine. I asked him a little about how he made the "Jazz" doc, and it was truly a labor of love for him. Very good work.

Anyway, I'll check out for now and see what Ted's got next!

-------------

For kids and music - mine get to listen to whatever they want for the most part and decide what they want to embrace. They're upbringing and values determine the choices they make. They already know that music is powerful. Music is a part of my life and their mothers and I could no more separate it out of my soul than I could what color my skin is. They've been raised that way and we are very open about music of all kinds. They already know when someone sings "KILL the @#kers!", that's nowhere. But they're young. They have energy, determination and they're aggressive in the way all youth is. They like music loud, just like I did and still do! So, we get along very well. One plays bass, the other drums, and I have a guitar amp rig driven by a 400 watt Sunn top. We can rattle the bookshelves when we want to.

-------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

[This message was edited by socks on November 24, 2002 at 1:39.]

Hi there John my dear dear friend I sure would love to get together again someday.And yes I still have most of those old albums including The John And Yoko Wedding album which is in great shape and worth a good deal of money now.So if any of you have that album it is priceless.

So here goes my story of how when and where I met Elvis. The year was 1955 and On one of the engagements I frquently worked at The Julep Lounge in Louisvile.The booking agent who booked us in that room comes in one night and says hey this coming Sat.afternoon I have booked some guy named Elvis Presley into the aud.and wondered if you would like to go with me to see him.I said sure cause I had heard the rumblings from Memphis about this guy.So we go down to the concert and the place is packed Bucky Baron the agent and I went backstage and I sat down in a chair right by the wings to the stage.Elvis comes walking by and with eyes straight ahead walks onto the stage after being introduced and he let it fly the kids went crazy.I could not believe what I was seeing and hearing and thought my god the man has got it.Bucky the agent asks do you think he is any good I replied you had better believe it cause you are looking at a soon to be super star.Bucky said nah he is just a flash in the pan.When Elvis came of stage ringing wet with sweat he stood by where I was seated and as he wiped the sweat out of his hair and eyes he put out his hand and said my name is Elvis Presley what's yours I stood up and said Ted Ferrell we shook hands and he asked humbly how I thought he did.Told him man thought you were great.We chated for awhile and I told about how I was playing at The Julep and he replied Ted I would love come see you but we have another show to do in Owensboro Ky. tonight and as he walked away he turned and said hope to see you again someday Ted .Me too Elvis I replied. In the early spring of 1956 while working a gig in Duluth Mn.I had the car radio on and there he was singing his first number one hit Heartbreak Hotel I pulled the car over to side of the road and listened intently and in my mind said Elvis you are on your way.A couple years later we were appearing at The Voo Doo Lounge in Nashville when Elvis walks in along with a few other people and takes a table he looked up and saw me on our little bitty stage and yells hey Ted how you doing man.From the stage I told him Elvis doin great how about you he replied oh 1 cant complain.The bartender comes up by the stage and asks do you know him I said I met him once well right away the bartender asks do you think you could get him to do a song or two.I did not answer him.So during our break I walked over to Elvis's table to say hi and he invited me to set down and introduced me to the men he was with most of them big wigs from RCA

we talked for awhile and he comented he thought I was doing a good job and sang real good. and as I got up to leave I said Elvis some people asked if you would like to do a number or two but I ain't gonna ask you to do it.He smiled oh what the heck lets do it.We talked about the songs we knew hw did and decided on a couple of them.Now people I want you to know by this time Elvis Is a super super star and yet he had no quams about getiing up and singing with a piano player and me at that time a stand up drummer The little stage was up behind the bar and there was no room for him to get up there so I handed him a mike across the bar and he stood there on the floor and sang his heart out as if he were before 25000 people.Neddles to say the room went nuts.When he finished singing he handed the mike cross the bar and rejoined his friends.He stayed for a little while longer and as he got up to leave I saw him hand the bartender something.He looked up at me and said see you Ted you take care now I replied you do the same see you Elvis and he was out the door.On the next break the bartender called me over and said Elvis just bought you five bottles of the best stuff we have and he left this for you too I looked and it was ten one hundred dollar bills.Never saw Elvis after that but always followed his career and was happy seeing him do so well Elvis was a fine man loved God and his Son Jesus Christ and he proved that as he put out some of the finest gospel albums of all time.I believe he just got caught up in the rat race of the music bizz. and because of the leeches that surounded him the day came when it all ended in Aug of 19977. And so with we close the chapter of the fifties and head on to some great music and the new culture changes of the sixties.

Thanks everbody kinda tired now so will go back to bed

Gods Love To You All

Ted

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on November 24, 2002 at 3:44.]

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on November 24, 2002 at 3:59.]

I had the luxury of growing up with a mom that truly enjoyed music. I never did appreciate that gift enough while she was still alive.

I have such fond memories of what her 5th husband called "ditty-boppin'' in the kitchen in the mornings. Drove him nuts, but we had a ball!!!

Mom had 4 kids and worked hard all her short life. We were rowdy kids, and she was tough. She was 4'7" and we just knew better than to cross her. If we awakened in the morning with a need for the rest room, we knew just which stairs to totally skip on the way down - nobody wanted to risk waking HER.

So many mornings we laid in our beds quiet as mice, trying to will that radio in the kitchen to go on. That was our cue that she was up and we were allowed to breathe normally and even walk down the creaky stairs.

Once Mom was up, the radio cranked country music and we could dance and sing and life was so very good.

We went to the state fair every year and spent most of our time between the beer tent and the where the bands played.

I can still picture her dancing - she was so graceful and beautiful.

She was obsessed with Elvis, and once he died, so did she. (Literally within 2 weeks.)

I almost religiously listen to the weekly Elvis only radio show on Sunday mornings - it's such good stuff (IMO).

I enjoy all music except for rap, and was really surprised when bowtwi jr. started to listen to that. He had been anti-rap until his last year in high school. He does enjoy a variety of music as well, but when I go to his house, he's usually got that stuff playing. Funny, but it doesn't offend me at all to hear it played there, just can't stand it on my own turf... I do enjoy seeing him and/or his girl dance to it.

Lately, they have been out dancing at a Latin club and having a blast (his girl is from Brazil).

When in twi, I used to go every year to the Great Northern Bluegrass Festival, and a week or two later, the ROA. What a culture change!!!

While a wow, I only listened to way productions, but aside from that year and my 2 days in res, I have always listened to a variety of music and really enjoy it.

I saw Neil Diamond, then Elton John & Billy Joel and then Paul McCartney in concert this year and man, it's like being young all over again! I will definitely be there if any of them come to my area again. I was sorry to miss Tom Petty and now Springsteen is playing here tonight, but I'm not going (I'm buying a house, so am watching the spending more carefully - will see them next time... 'course I still may win tickets...)

I love old time music - early 1900's and before, like Ron.

I can hardly wait for Ted to get up and posting some more too - love the stories!!! I tried to find the words to that song Jelly Roll Blues - no luck - anyone have them?

In TWI we were told that it was the ARTISTS who were so evil. I'm not so sure. Follow this mini time line with me...

early 1966: Jefferson Airplane is recording their first album. One song is left off it because it says 'trips, trips, trips' and RCA is a 'family values' company and they don't want no drug references y'hear?

Feb. 1967: JA's second album is released, again with no blatant drug references, but it has two hit singlesssSSS$$$$$$.

June 1, 1967: Release date of Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's LHCB...blatant drug references...sells like hotcakes.

June 26, 1967: JA begins recording their third album, unusual for a band still touring from the previous recording to start another recording. Oh, by the way! Plenty of drug references on this one.

Christmas 1967: Plenty of new albums out with plenty of drug talk.

Conclusion: Once the 'family values' company execs saw that drugs sell, they wanted their artists to sell some....RIGHT NOW!!! At least the artists used the drugs they were singing about. I can respect that more than some heroin dealer who doesn't use the stuff himself, but knowingly sells it to people it's going to hurt. So who's really 'evil' in this scenario?

hiway29,

I?m with you, if ever in Cleveland I would be thrilled to have Ted accompany me to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Can ya just imagine the things he could tell ya as you stroll about?

Socks,

Can I come sit and listen to you and your kids? And agree you could no more separate music out of mine or my son?s soul life than you could change the fact we are born again of God?s spirit and all he11 can?t take that away. Neither could you take away song from either of our lives.

Ted,

You have a captive audience here. How shall I ever thank you for sharing in this manner in this humble girl?s thread?

And my dad played the guitar for Elvis while he played around with some songs way back before Elvis became the well known man he was. My dad, along with my mom?s brothers did warm up at the Opry and that is where my dad met Elvis. Was a fan to the end of Elvis?s life and considered the man to be a friend of his. I never met Elvis, could have at early age but would not have known who it was at that point anyway.

Bowtwi,

In light of your mom having taken her own life and the impact that still has on you what awesome memories for you to see her dancing to the music she loved so. You say she was graceful and beautiful. Kiddo, looks to me like some memories you can pull out and hold onto when the others want to bite your butt.

I just picked up 2 CD?s at a thrift shop (1.50 investment, I love finding buys like that). Anyway it is bluegrass guitar music, one titled Picking on Clapton, all his tunes played in bluegrass fashion. Too much fun for one person I am having as I listen to it and read this thread.

Kathy

When we first came home with bowtwi jr. from the hospital, I introduced him to the stereo before I showed him his bedroom. I remember telling him that music lived in our house, and I trusted he would enjoy it as we did. Then I turned it on.

I read that you did a similar thing, Kathy! Worked well for us, too.

He was a few months old by the time I started attending twig faithfully, and it was a few years before I started buying any way prod. music. Our twig coordinators didn't dictate how to raise our kids, they loved us where we were at in our walks with God.

twi didn't influence me or my family in that regard really, now that I sit and think on it... As I said earlier, I went to a weeklong bluegrass festival every year about the same time as the rock, and really enjoyed both.

just thought I might directly answer the theme of this most wonderful thread...

Yowza, Kathy! I just posted and then noticed so had you!

What a great find - Clapton guitar bluegrass-style! Oh man, I'm glad for you! Great Sunday morning music!!! After Midnite is playing right now on my radio!

You made a great point - not a direct quote, but basically I heard you say that we CAN control OUR own minds to sort our memories as WE choose. I choose to keep the pleasant ones in the front of my mind, whether regarding my mom or my time in twi or whichever.

So, how long do ya reckon Ted's gonna sleep in today, anyways? I have an Elvis story I might share later, after he gives his. Nothing so wonderful, just my recollections and my mom's story through my eyes 25 and more years later.

I believe there will be music, lots of music in heaven!!! (along with Hershey's chocolate lol)

okay, I'll get back to work for a while. But I shall return!