GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

bowtwi,

I think I am going to call him and wake him up so he can continue with our eye and brain candy.

Yes, learning myself the value of controlling what I chose to think of. Had no idea I would grow this quickly when I came on board here, just no idea.

And this thread, well heck, no way can I describe what it is doing for my heart. Just no way.

Clapton tunes done in bluegrass fashion, oh yes major fine music for a Sunday morning in cold Illinois.

Kathy

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi bowtwi wil try to find Jelly Roll Blues lyrics for you as I may have it in some old song books.

Now than we are headed into the sixties culture and many of you here are baby boomers and can offer some great insight as to the songs and artists of those days So jump in there and wail away because you are from the culture that became the hippie culture and that was the first young culture that wound up in twi.So folks fire away.

Like Kathy I need some caffine right now.Kath don't you ever sleep are you awake or walking in your sleep ha1 ha1

I will be back later on.

Ted

What a fascinating thread this has turned out to be. Ted?s contributions have been great and I love the way he not only sees so much good in things but also brings it out in people also.

As far as TWI and music, back in the early 80's I was at a friends house spending the night and found some comic books. They were comics warning of the evils of that devil music rock&roll! They showed how an innocent young scholar/athlete was drawn into a life of over indulgence and depravity because he was first a closet rocker. The loose wimmin and the drugs followed the satanic influence of the music he secretly listened to! His life ended in tragedy and suicide. Problem was there was a series of these books and each young person they covered was a true story, at least the untimely and horrible deaths and the person were all true.

Then each comic had a feature artist or band and the influence they got from following the lord of darkness. One had Jimmie Page and his fascination with witchcraft and collecting very dark castles. Another had the story of Stevie Nicks and her love of that witch from Wales, what is that song about a woman taken by the wind. And there were others, oh like how Jimmie Hendricks, Marilyn and Janis all died in their own vomit!

Point is this thinking and open campaigning against the music of the youth of the time was not something TWI came up by itself. Wish I would have kept those books or at least wrote down the name of the group that did them.

I see we have several Jazz fans here. The reason it is called Jazz is an interesting story. Guess in the deep south and especially New Orleans is where that music came from, the story is that the prostitutes of that time were call Jezebels and their *men* were call Jezboes or something like that. The music that was born out of the clubs and the places they frequented with a southern accent was call Jazz music. So there you go, another style of music straight from the pit of he!!. Founded in sexual depravity and immorality!!!!!!!!!

Grizzy COLOR>SIZE>

Grizzy,

Was away for while, need to leave again but I think you are doing what it looks like Ted was asking us to do, in his humble way. By adding our thoughts to this stage of the music generation.

Sure hope others who no doubt are following this thread (good guess based on hits already, and such a new thread still), will join in and add their words.

This thread is going to be printed and held onto by me as one of most cherished items.

Too much fun for any one person to have, yepper!!!!!

Kathy

Stevo,

Okay someday I will start you a thread. Heck, man any thread you post in can be your thread.

Ain't this one the bomb!!!!!

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDITED TO ADD THIS:

As much as I hate to leave this wonderful thread, must leave the house for awhile. I sure hope our Ted has added more goodies when I return.

As well as others, bet this generation of posters have a lot to bring to the table on this 60-80 period.

Would be cool if we could give back something to Ted for all the effort he has put into this thread. Wouldn't it yall?

[This message was edited by ChattyKathy on November 24, 2002 at 10:23.]

Ron G.

You asked about Way Orchestra. It was a mixture of musicians pretty much. Some professional, some high school players too.

My husband played in Orchestra for many years. (77-93). There were some fine musicians who played. Some trained at the very best schools in Europe. Some who even had played for Berlin Philharmonic.

His all time favourite musician to play with was Garibaldi the drummer. You couldn't get any better as far as he was concerned. He tied the whole orchestra together.

The conductor's made a big difference too. Some were more anal than others. Of course, this is all second hand news here. These are just some of the things he has shared with me over the years.

I believe music is an expression of the times. So when times in history are tough, rough, drug immersed, pre-war, post-war etc... people write music to express those times and what they are going through.

The Ken Burn's Jazz documentary is one of the very best documentaries I have ever watched. I grew an appreciation for jazz that I never had before.

Husband's all time favourite musician: Winton Marsalis. He is on the documentary. He is a master musician. Plays jazz and classical as well. I even enjoy him .

My love in music is varied, like some rock, bluegrass, country, jazz, r&b, my likes lately are Alison Krauss, celtic stuff like the Coors, Rankins, Vince Gill, Simply Red, Jann Arden, and I love old time fiddle tunes too. Also, Hank Williams.

One more thing before I go. The other day driving in our van, listening to the classical station(hubby has it on all the time)an opera singer called Cecilia Bartoli comes on and sings a song. I started to cry in the van. I don't even like opera. It was so moving.

And by middle name is Cecilia, patron saint of Music in the Roman catholic church. Go figure!

Thanks for letting me share GS!

Love ya all!

Ted, your bleeding heart fan!

'til the next time...

Yea, A La, wasn't the Jazz series great? I ran my schedule around it, really enjoyed it. What stories and visuals. Wynton Marsalis was a joy to see, tooting out little parts like when he commented on Louie Armstrong. Great stuff.

There's a quote from that series, can't place who now, but it was a description of jazz and rock and roll..."Rock and roll finds a place and stays there. Jazz finds a place, and goes somewhere".

It's pretty accurate and not demeaning to rock, but aptly describes the joys of both-rock clarifies a moment of thought and feeling and digs in and works it rhythmically and harmonically. Jazz takes that moment and stretches it out, embellishes on it, expands it. Good musicians can do both with integrity.

Grizz- that's kind of cool, isn't it? Jazz really draws it all in, and it's one of our country's true native art forms, made by the people, for the people!

Music really can be a great expression of the soul, whether it swings like crazy or lifts the heart like a symphony. I have to wonder sometimes, if the Psalms had been music, wow! Joy, sadness, longing, pain, deliverance. It's all there.

------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

Winton Marsalis and circular breathing, that freaks me right out! (Hubby is a brass player!)

Yes, the Ken Burns thing was astounding. Hubby taped all episodes. I grew such an appreciation for Louis (pronounced Lewis) Armstrong. What he did was phenomenal.

I have seen those Ken Burns Doc. in our public library. Anyone interested could possibly check that out if they wanted to see them.

Psalms, it's all there! You're right! The pain, the joy, the sadness, the victories - that's music, that's life.

'til the next time...

~~~~~

Except for sex, the nineties are shaping up like another sixties, which is why I have personally come back from the sixties to remind you about what really went on. Nobody can tell you about it, you can?t read it in a book or see it in a movie. The sixties were an experience. It didn?t just HAPPEN, it was a HAPPENING, an ongoing thing, an adventure through mindlessness but with a purpose. It was far out man, but like you had to be there. That?s why everyone headed for San Francisco during the summer of love, man, because Haight Ashbury was like something else, which means it was like absolutely nothing else that has ever existed before or since anywhere. Look, I know I?m going out of order, but damn it, Haight Ashbury in 1967 was my favorite part of the sixties, and that?s where I wanna go next.

He leads the group through the intersection of Haight and Ashbury Street in San Francisco, circa 1967. There is a line up of hippies offering, or seeking, grass, acid, hash, love beads, ankhs, incense, the Berkeley Barb, the Oracle, peace signs, the Free Press, speed, mescaline, peyote buttons, magic mushrooms, all leading to the HIPPIE HOST, offering a tour of a genuine hippie crash pad. We practice free love together in a waterbed. That?s a tie-dyed parachute on the ceiling, and that far out smell is patchouli incense. This is my ax. I use it to jam with friends. This is our bong. We use it to smoke dope and get high. Then we groove to some sounds, like the Airplane or the Dead. This bowl over here is where we stash the roaches. This is a black light poster. It looks really far out when we turn off the lights. This is a lava lamp. I can stare at it for hours. This is the refrigerator where we can scarf some suds. Let?s see what?s in here. This is organic brown rice. These are vegetables because we don?t eat our animal friends. These are hash brownies. We use them to get off.

~~~~~

The ultimate cure for people with little problems is to help somebody with bigger ones.

Arlo Guthrie

Kathy

It was a trip and some time spent by one of the Beetles to the Bay Area that got them all into the drugs. Not that they were into the drugs and promoting that life style for some years, that was the American influence on them, not vice versa..............

Grizzy COLOR>SIZE>

A la Prochaine, "Cecilia", patron saint of ex-Way musicians. We need one.

The Jazz series was a great one, hey? And the Way Orchestra was a beautiful thing. I agree about the music lessons for children too. My daughter played saxaphone for a couple years in elementary school and you know what that sounded like at night. But I loved it. Honk all you want. Nothing's sweeter than hearing kids reach inside themselves like that. .

There were a lot of great people bubbling under and over in Way Prod. I mean, Ted, I worked with you all those years and never knew your experiences with Elvis. You mentioned something about it once if I recall. You're killin' me!

There's a lot more I know you could tell, you need to write a book. I've got the title: "Holdin' On: the Life and Times of Ted Ferrell, An American Original". There. Linda Z can write it! ChattyKathy can put it all together. It's a done deal! Ha! I'm getting in trouble again!

---------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

A la prochaine has been encouraging me to visit this thread, but Thanksgiving week in the grocery biz is BUSY! but I've got ime tonight.

Ted F:

You've got some great stories, man, what a life. You made some good points about every musical wave getting resistance from the parents, going back to the 20's. I think of that every time I hear one of my contemporaries put down rap/hip-hop as "crap". Gee, what did our parents ay about our music. And I remember my grandmother once making a disparaging remark about my Dad's Dixieland Jazz.

Ron G:

Firehouse 5, huh? My dad had (maybe still has) a bunch of their 78's when I was growing up, cool stuff.

I always had a hard time with the twi take on "devilish" music. I think that they were very inconsistant about it. How things were interpreted depended on what kind of music your local leadership liked!

It was obvious that most, if not all, Way Productions performers were influenced by secular musicians to a greater or lesser extent. I remember Harve Platig talking about going to Columbus or dayton or someplace so some guy could teach him the Eddie Van Halen style of playing the neck of the guitar - kind of a flash thing - that he incorporated into his playing.

I mostly enjoy blues, fusion jazz, and 70's rock (I'm listening to Hush from the Deep Purple boxed set right now) but enjoy music from many different styles.

My teenage son and I turned each other on to each other's music regularly. I'd go sit with him in his room while he was listening to modern rock and hip hop; I like some and hated others! I'll listen to The Offspring's SElf Esteem and day, and to the surprise of most adults my age, I actually enjoy Eminem! My son ended up becoming a great fan of some old rock dinosaurs: AC/DC, KIss, and Van Halen, go figure.

Oh yeah, I'm glad I can now listen to Melissa Etheridge again without every "believer" telling me that she is a lesbian. Man, I love that song Only One.

Oakspear

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

[This message was edited by Oakspear on November 24, 2002 at 22:39.]

Well I'm back on the midnight run here.Had to watch The Browns work over The Saints Today and do a few other things but will pick up where we left off.

And I want you all to know how you posters are addiing so much to the mix here,This is great stuff from all of you.Socks I think there are so many stories here about the music culture and did it have any lasting affect on our lives. Many of us have been there seen that done that and perhaps we should put it all in some kind of form to pass on to the next generation

Kathy you are a sharp and wise lady and I love how you treat all that post here with love and kindness,perhaps by inspiration you started this thread..But before we are through might need a few more six packs.ha! ha1 Thanks Kath Now lets begin to look at thr sixties by the end of the fifties there seemed to be a chill wind in the air and some thought rock and roll was dead.This time is known as The Big Chill Era for the big beat.

Country artists were staring to make headway on the charts Folk music became popular Kingston Trio, Joan Baez.Peter Paul And Mary Folk clubs and coffee houses sprang up across the country Even Elvis seemed to be slowing down with his 1960 remake of a 1920's song Are You Lonsome Tonight.1961 rolls in and the number one hit of that year was Wonderland By Night a easy listening tune by Bert Kaempfert Lawerence Welk hits the charts with an instrumental named Calcutta.and folk music had some more hits such as an old black gospel song Michael Row The Boat Ashore 63 ticks in and most of the hits were watered down tunes but a new dance did appear that year The Twist and the kids had something to grove to as the parents cried oh no not again.63 did not add much to the picture Hang up your rocking shoes cause the rock and roll days are gone and the adults said well that's that But as Bob Dylan warned us in his song The Times They Are A Changing hold on to your seats folks get set for the British Invasion that would usher in a new culture and revolutionze pop rock music forever.

Till Next Time

Love You All

Ted F.

Ted,

Indeed you are a man of great heart for more than just the history of music you hold. Thank you for your kind words towards me. And so thrilled to see you taking us thru the next stage.

Oakspear,

Glad you could get away and join in. Knew you had to be doing something, not like you to not join in on things.

Kathy

BTW, am switching over from phone to cable this afternoon so will be getting new email addy, I will post such in my profile, and for you that email back and forth I will send you notice of such outside of here as well. And listen yall, sometimes I make you wait a minute or so cause I can only talk to 50 of you at a time but I am so thrilled with my life outside public view. Yall just can't know, even if it has been now named by that sweet French girl ALP (Chatty's Cafe), smiles I have.

Steve,

I woke up to a white wonderland, how is your view today of the lakefront?

~~~~~

"To Sir With Love" is playing on the radio now? That was quite a talked about song in it's day wasn't it?

So has anyone else heard that the music at hq is resorting back to some older style tunes, more testimony type tunes. If so what is it they have testimony of? (that spelling looks off?) Can they get there from here, think not, have to teach the Word as intended to get there. Changing their music ain't gonna pull that off.

Kathy

CK, you're on the case! You're even scaring up business on other threads! You go Grrl!

Griz hits on drugs, a sizable topic in relation to music in general, and youth. I noticed another thread that mentioned Ozzie Osbourne warned his kids to not use drugs by saying "look at me". Good advice, a picture is worth a 1,000 words. He knows whereof he speaks.

Some people, musicians included, point to drug use as a viable means to inspire and initiate creativity. I think it's arguable how much usable, creative output has been racked up directly due to drug use throughout history.

In all the artists and music I've studied as well as in my own past personal use, I think a case can be argued that drugs are used (marijuana, heroin, amphetamines, hallucenigenics, liquor, etc.) they primarily are used to deal with personal conditions in the musicians such as mental and physical problems they're dealing with. Basic human character weakness and environment certainly enter the picture too and peer pressure.

Just for clarity's sake, I'm not excusing use, rather suggesting that the drugs are often used as an antidote to personal problems, peer pressure, etc. and while under the affects of the drugs, the musician achieves some level of pleasure, relief, or whatever. Creativity isn't one of the benefits however IMO. Better music isn't made as a result and the drugs don't really provide a solution or answer.

Their "creativity" while using is actually hampered. Although the drugs may relieve pain, unlock inhibitions and push their work in a certain direction, the musician then has to fight through that artificial effect to make music. A lot of horrible music has been made in that condition too.

It's a love-hate relationship. The drug makes you feel "good" (or just better) and you ride the rush it provides while writing or performing, but at the same time you sweat and twitch and hold on to get the music out.

Virtually all musicians who accomplish anything - composition, technical expertise, performance achievement - all have developed high levels of ability before and outside of their actual drug use.

In the end, we see one talented musician after another lost to the mental and physical deterioration that long term drug abuse carries.

I read a recent biography of the great chet Baker trumpet), and he's a sad example. When he hit the scene he was young, handsome, talented and had the world by the tail. Years later his face was badly disfigured from years of abuse and he'd lost a lot of his teeth, tragically restricting his playing abilities. Heroin use did nothing for him.

In the "high impact" world of pop music and marketing, drug use is entertained and encouraged,largely because the money is there to provide the support system for the irresponsible users. No one wants their jet pilot high on LSD, or their security team off somewhere hitting up.

It's an immature system, which helps to account for all the short careers out there.

Long post! Not finished, just barely started really. Just some more musings.

Socks,

If I could have my way EVERYONE would post in this thread, but heck some of yall won't even look in my direction, much less post in my thread. Heehee

Nah, not really, most of yall chat with me. (edited to redo this line, was having way too much fun )

I just got hooked up with cable, I think I am like sooooooo cooooolllll right now. hahahahaha

Back when I get my office back in order and note my new email addy in my profile, I think I chose a cool one. heehee

Kathy

[This message was edited by ChattyKathy on November 25, 2002 at 15:10.]

That's awesome! Cable access. You'll be stylin' and smilin' with fast online access. I'm jealous! but happy for ya! I've got the old steam-powered, crank-it-up-joebob-and-git-off-the-phone-we-gon'-dialup! 56k modem to phone line access. Well, 2 phone lines, but I've got my eye on DSL, soon's we get the yungins figgered out.