GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

Socks,

Total decadence! Actually though with me dropping the second phone line and the provider fees I am almost to the same penny now using cable modem access.

Man have I like derailed this puppy or what? I am so pumped over this speed I can hardly stand it.

Kathy

way too much fun for any one to be having now

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the Chet Baker book too. Love his music, it was too sad...just totally consumed him...the photos told the whole story.

Don't forget about Bird...dead at 35.

It's possible Coltrane's liver cancer was attributable to his abuses in his young, stupid days.

Lester Young

Stan Getz

....the list goes on and on.

Some success stories of those who battled and won - Miles, Elvin Jones, Jackie McLean, Red Rodney, Sonny Rollins...

Dizzy stayed clean and lived a grand old life with lots of money - bopped all over his colleagues' graves.

Socks that stuff so far on the drugs about just the opposite as what some movers and shapers would have you think!!!!!!

Ain't cable grand how did we ever live without it?????

Hey Chattyone..........I did live in IL 93-I think 97, knew some Chicago folks during that time frame.........

Anyway.............where is Ted?????? I hurried home from work all set to read the next installment and where is it??????

Grizzy COLOR>SIZE>

Grizzy,

I am going to email that dude and tell him to get back here pronto. I need my stories as well.

We are direct west of the windy city but no doubt we have been at state events together. I thought you looked familiar, hahahahaha.

Cable is grand, what did I do yesterday without it.

Yana,

Cool, was wondering where you were.

Kathy

Hi There Grizzy

Being a night owl because of too many years in the clubs working to 2 or 3;am most times I do not get in high gear till around 10 p;m when the crowd started coming in and than we could crank up the volume So before now and the last set tonight we will have another jam

Say grizz how is your son doing with his music.Did he and the boys in the band get things worked out.If you do not care to answer here at Kathy's Club email me cause I sure would love to hear how he is doing.

Till Than

Ted F.

Yanagisawa, I'm thrilled, you read that also! It's quite a story. Baker was a guy who should have rocked the world for a whole lot longer. What he did was really something.

You're french horn...right? Or is my short term memory getting shorter? Someone said what instrument you play awhile back, orchestral experience, etc....

quote:
Don't forget about Bird...dead at 35.

He opened up so much to soloists. It's hard to imagine what he might have done with even another 20 years.

quote:
Some success stories of those who battled and won - Miles, Elvin Jones, Jackie McLean, Red Rodney, Sonny Rollins...

Dizzy stayed clean and lived a grand old life with lots of money - bopped all over his colleagues' graves.

Dizzy was a great example. As time has gone on, I've really found a lot of stuff there. I wish I'd focused in sooner on his music. And Elvin Jones is the ultimate 800 lb gorilla behind the drums. (Sherman Ferguson ain't a slouch either )

Well, off to the commute. 10 minutes for me! Ha!

Cee Kay, diggin' the cable modem!

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

Thanks for asking Ted, they worked everything out and Wed. night is their first gig you know Momma (((((((((Anna))))))))) will be there, but I have worked days for so many years I don?t do midnight well.............but maybe a nap and since Thursday is a great holiday HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL maybe the bear will be able to see it..........

Thanks Ted for the help on that!!!!!

And now to redeem myself and put this on subject again.........

This is Anna?s son and my step son?s web sight, quite a handsome young man isn?t he and what this has to do with this thread is young folks and music. Go check it out and you will see that there are many young folks that love God and love music.

look here

Ted showed up here at the café so I dropped him and e-mail to see if we could get some advice, and we did and now they are starting to play in public!!!!!!!!!!!

Grizzy COLOR>SIZE>

It is, Griz. "Bad" sells more cd's than good is the idea. Nice site by the way, just checked it out!

(It's funny, the older you get the more "good" sells. Look at toothpaste. Once we get a few of those babies yanked, brushing starts to look a whole lot better!)

---------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

Yana and other jazz fans.There seems to be a bunch here that dig those sounds I do too and still love all styles of jazz as much as I ever did.The jazz culture is yet a whole different venue.When I was eighteen with fake id i used to go to The Town Lounge here in Cleveland and listen to one of my favorite tenor sax playere Eddie Chamblee That club was what was known as a black and tan club and very few whites had the nerve to go into that club usualy I was the only whitey there.Because of my awe for Eddie and his group I became his friend and when I would go to the club to listen Eddie from the stage behind the bar would tell whoever was sitting on my favorite bar stool to move so I could set down.Several times I would hang around till closing and Eddie would invite me to an after hours club at The Majestc Hotel (also all black) where all the local and whoever traveling jazz men and women were in town would show up for a jam Most times it was 6 or 7'am or later before they played the last tune.Eddie Chamblle was one of the greatest tenor saxmen I have ever heard He was an inspiration to my life

Later On Eddie married Dinah Washington and recorded with her one of my favorite albums Dinah Wahington sings Bessie Smith with The Eddie Chamblee Orch. it is an old Mercury jazz release and if you ever can find it and give a listen.

Around 1959 While I was performing in Chicago at The Old Hyde Park Hotel Eddie and Dinah came in and we had good chat of course I picked up ther bar tab.I loved Eddie Chamblee and am so thankful for the kind friendship he showed me.and because of that friendship names of some of the old jazz giants that have been mentioned on this thread I got to see and hear in a setting few would have the privledge to do so Eddie is gone now but I will say it anyway Thanks Eddie You Still Are The Best

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on November 25, 2002 at 16:58.]

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on November 25, 2002 at 17:03.]

Socks,

Great stuff on drugs.

I went looking for a quote of Santana?s more recent interview but could not find it. The basics of it was him saying when he was younger he got frightened while performing cause he knew when all drugged up that it was not him in control of his fingers. But did find this quote I thought was interesting.

quote:
Do you consider yourself religious?

SANTANA:

No, religion is a corrupt business. Spirituality is something else. Religion is like Coca-Cola, Pepsi cola, wine. That's not going to help in the desert. Religion is a corrupt institution and we don't trust those. Spirituality is you bringing one to one with la virgin and God. It's all one. No, I don't want to be religious because a lot of people have been killed in the name of religion because they get a superiority complex. Spirituality is all like water. All the colors are there, but it's still water. I know the difference between spirituality and religious and I don't want to be religious.

Ted,

I have a club?

Hey when I emailed you I sure hope I didn?t say get here pronto. Hubby said, makes no sense, now I'm in cable mode myself, moving around the house a bit quickly. So hope I was not really pushy. heehee

Kathy

Socks, Great post on the drug scene.

You put it so succinctly! You said everything I have ever thought about drugs and music.

So many musicians came from very rough backgrounds,(ie Billy Holliday) and had to drown their pain. Others just felt misunderstood in their music because they were sometimes ahead of their time.

It's a tough go being a musician, if you want to be good, your heart has to be out there for everyone to see. That's what touches the audiences.

Ted, come back. I want more!!!

Your bleeding heart, patron saint of ex-way musicians!

'til the next time...

Dinah Washington is one of my all time faves, that had to be so cooool...

The way the likes of Dinah, and Etta James would articulate words and phrases...

"Whatttt...a DIF-rence...a Dayymmmaaakes"

Man, caressing each syllable - molding those words like they were modeling clay - man, it's obscene how they tittilated every vowel...

Scuse me, gotta go...

http://www.kingstontrio.com/

Never forget being in the second grade around 1958, going on a field trip, to the University of Rhode Island, Kingston, R.I., formerly Kings Town.

We get to a frat house, and who do you think is there?? Yep, the Kingston Trio, playin' for the kids. They had done a small gig at the university and wanted to perform for us youngins.

[This message was edited by Lightside on November 25, 2002 at 17:55.]

Love Alison Krause's eyes and playing.I'm on a southern rock jag right now- Outlaws- Bring it Back Alive "hurry sundown" "green grass and high tides"

Just got a bootleg Dylan live at Hollywood Bowl 1965- just after Newport Jazz when he went electric. Art Pepper made Chet Baker look like a choir boy- amazing how such sweet music can come out of such tortured souls.

Check Out BB King "live at the regal"(early 60's vintage... lot's of guitar)

Platigs guitar solo on the first Branded tape "the man I know to be" is one of the finest I've ever heard. Shoulda stuck to that harve.

Danny Hoefer was the best TWI guitar man next to Socks.(Check out Socks on the Tom Lepinski album)

It's not how many notes you play but how you play em.

Just listened to the New Dylan CD- wierd music cool words great album.

Jazz Guitar: Kenny Burrel

Most tasteful guitarists: Robbie Robertson and George Harrison.

Greatest guitar battle: Robbie Robertson vs Clapton and Jeff Beck on "further on down the Road" from The Last Waltz 1976

Best TWI guitar solo:Danny Hoefer at Rock of Ages mid 80's on "If I could Reach Just one"

Best TWI jam: PDSTRO with Rod Price of Foghat- ROA mid 80's jammed on "Attitude of Heart. I Remember Joe Fare just stepping back with an uh oh there he goes look on his face.

hopper

Hopper,

Good for the soul wasn't it? To think of great memories like those.

Alison Krause has the voice of an angel. The best, just the best.

Kathy

(ps I am being lazy and not sending new email addy to all like I said I would, if ya want to email me can you check my profile, when it finally gets to update status. )

Little while ago I received an email that read Ted if you knew so many top people in the music bizz.why did you not go for the gold.I am sure many that you knew would have helped you....Here is my answer.

In the benging and down thru the years of my performimg career.I purporsely steered clesr of any of that you can be a star routine .As I entered the music bizz.I observed others who had made it to the top only to find in spite of fame and fortune not all but way too many were unhappy with their lives.I had no desire to give control of my life to anyone for any reason.I liked playing my simple little gigs being fancy free and going and coming as I dammed well please.I have not made a fortune by a long shot but have always had more than enough to get by.

God has been good to me and has pulled me out of more jams than you could ever imagine By His grace mercy and love I have been able to do for a living what I like best and that is music.

Will try to get back to the And The Beat Goes On part of Kathy's thread later tonight.

Thank all of you for you kind words and patience.

Ted F.

quote:
Originally posted by grasshopper:

- Outlaws- Bring it Back Alive "hurry sundown" "green grass and high tides"

Loved that Hop, saw them live a couple of times

quote:

Greatest guitar battle: Robbie Robertson vs Clapton and Jeff Beck on "further on down the Road" from The Last Waltz 1976

Most definitely

quote:

Best TWI jam: PDSTRO with Rod Price of Foghat- ROA mid 80's jammed on "Attitude of Heart. I Remember Joe Fare just stepping back with an uh oh there he goes look on his face.

Missed that one - Rod Price is awesome!

Still a great thread! Listening to Etheridge's first album (CD) right now. Dick Dale is up next!

Oakspear

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

I love you Bro!

Saw her live in concert last March. Brought my then 10 year old. Alison is her fave! My 11 year old (now) plays the fiddle too.

Man oh man, can this thread get any better.

You made my night buddy!

Alison is a musician's musician! She has it all and I don't even like bluegrass all that much, but love her sound. It is a pure one!

I sound like such a groopie!

'til the next time...

My 15 year old daughter, her Mom & me went to a Bruce Springsteen concert last night. Being a guitar player I think my daughter appreciated SOME of the tunes but at other times she looked a little bored and puzzled, what with all us middle aged folks there. Yet I trust it will be a fond memory for her in years to come.

So here are a few observations as a parent of a wonderful teen:

To start with, one thing that is here to stay, (whether right or wrong, you decide), is music downloads. The kids of today have millions of songs trading around. (BEing a computer enthusiast, I must admit that I was a major Napster fan myself before they were shut down..... got some real gems! There are others but there will never be another Napster.)

Here are some popular artists of today among my 15 year olds' almost 4,000 songs (12 gigs worth)

Dashboard Confessional

Jimmy Eat World

The Vandals

Sublime

(Don't worry, I am not familiar with them either.)

Some of the categories are:

Ska (I don't know what it means)

Punk (I sort of know what it means...hint..it's not the same meaning as was used in the 80's)

Emo (stands for emotional I think)

Rock (yet this category contains many groups I have not heard of such as Red Elvises)

There is no category called Oldies in her collection..... I think the concept can not yet exist in a 15 year olds' mind.

Bruce Springsteen is listed under her category called "Classic".

Damn evil kids!

(Just kidding)

John Richeson

Tampa, FL