GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

Hey John You are on the front line with the current music scene and man I admire you and Hope for giving your 15 year old some space to grow.The kids are gonna have their kind of music and like many generations before her she will make it through with flying colors because she has some wonderful parents in Tampa Fl.

Ok now The Big Chill Era of the early sixties comes to an abrupt end when the fab four from England with their crazy hair styles invade the beaches of the good old USA.and without much resitance caputered the hearts of the waiting for something to happen teens I don't know if any of you are like some I know but they can tell you excatly where they were and what they were doing when they first saw and heard The Beatles sorta like where were you when JFK got shot. No doubt about it these lads from Britian were here to stay and Elvis has left the building.And once again the parents are without a clue as to what the hell is going on.The fab four had 5 super hits on the charts in 1964. 1965 the boys score with 4 more biggies plus their albums were selling like hot cakes now they were not the only ones from across the pond that were making waves Tha Rolling Stones sound was coming through loud and clear I Can't Get No Satisfaction and Get Of My Cloud.So is all of our music gonna be imported from the isles nope.Barry Gordy in Detroit had another plan so let's get that R and B sound kicking in hey It.s called Motown

Ok you guys thats all for tonight know untill I get back to this keyboard I wann see what you byrds have to add who were teens or younger in the midd sixties This sixty decade is gonna take some time to get through because some stages were set that will go on for another decade,Good Night All

Ted F.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaah, Ted, the 60's!

One thing you remind me of is radio programming, in the late 50's and 60's when I was listening to all this great music. We had a few stations out in the SF Bay Area, KFRC, KEWB, KYA, KSOL and KDIA. Those were biggies for pop, rock, r and b, soul and blues.

Something that's changed a lot from "those days" is the pop stations played everything that was coming out. Presley, Dean Martin, The Four Seasons, James Brown, Dion and the Belmonts, Tommy Tucker, Peter, Paul and Mary, "Little" Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, The Shirelles, The Coasters, etc. etc. Later the British Invasion stuff got mixed right in. Shoot, the Beatles were covering Detroit's tunes so could hear them do "Baby, It's You" right after "My Girl" by the Temptations!

You could flick on Casy Kasem's show on KEWB and in one night here all these different styles. That's how I'd get exposed to all this stuff. Then I'd get sent off to bed and stick my transistor radio under my pillow and stick the earphone in my ear and pick up Wolfman Jack out of Chula Vist, CA. playing blues, soul and Tex-Mex rock, or tune in KDIA for some late night blues.

I heard Jimmy Reed when I was 9 years old and just freaked out, ran down and bought up all his 45's at the local record shop. Later on, when the Stones hit, I thought "they're stealin' Reed's stuff!" and they ain't doin' it very well to boot! Same with Bo Diddley. First time I heard his music late one night, I couldn't sleep. I knew I'd heard something I needed to check out.

It was great to get exposed to all the music coming out. Later when FM hit, it was the same way for the "alternative" stuff of the 60's. You'd hear Ravi Shankar doing sitar for a half hour, then some Country Joe, Albert Collins, Sons of Champlin, Muddy Waters, whatever.

Now, the programming is so niche marketed, you have to listen to 5 or 6 stations to get any real variety. I miss that variety, it did a lot for the music and the people who heard it, slowly helped to break down race barriers, lots of good.

-------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

I remember the big debates at church the day we went home and my parents let my sisters watch Ed Sullivan when the Beetles were on. My Mom told Dad those girls will be hearing and watching this some place else, so lets see what it is. I am the youngest of 5 and at that time wasn?t that impressed by the Beetles, but did get a kick out of watching Dad?s painful looks when they were on........................

Grizzy COLOR>SIZE>

Ron,

Cool, thanks for the pic of Alison Krauss. Now Hopper can enjoy her eyes. And if like most men, will love the red hair as well. Although it use to be blond.

Ya think her popularity rose due to O Brother Where Art Thou? Which today remains to be one of my fav pieces of music (soundtrack). My dad and uncles sing just like The Soggy Bottom Boys. If I close my eyes while listening to em, I think my family is singing. Way cool for me.

John,

LMAO! Bruce Springsteen is listed under "Classic". That is just too good. And you guys are just way too awesome as parents. How great for those wonderful girls of yours.

Socks,

Wolfman Jack, oh my gawd what fun. For me he was kinda like listening to the forbidden fruit, he made music have life, his enthusiasm and excitement was contagious.

And The Stones, gee whiz, they were kinda like the Elvis in that their appeal was something the parents cringed about some.

Still remember when The Beatles made a comment about being more popular than Jesus. Boy did that get some folks pants in a bind.

Kathy

I was 11 years old when the Beatles landed in the USA in 1963. I had been aware of rock and roll an pop music on the radio before then, but nothing prepared me for how the Beatles would affect my life.

Either it was me, or kids grew up slower back then. Today you have 7 year old girls into Brittany Spears,etc, but I was pretty naive when I first heard the Beatles. I remember the Ed Sullivan show appearnces like it was yesterday, watching with my brother on the upstairs portable tv, as my parents wanted no part of it.

The first album I bought was 'Meet the Beatles', which I played to death on my parents ancient 'entertainment system'-a combo radio, record player, and 13"tv.

Anyway, to shorten a long story, I pretty much tracked my life through the 60's with the Beatles, and felt like they grew and changed as I did. I wasin junior high when they came out with "Rubber Soul", which blew me away. Suddenly the songs were more introspective, and just seemed better. There's something a little funny about a 14 year old relating to "In My Life", but I would listen to that song over and over and think about the future.

"Revolver" was just as hugefor me. It seemed as I was growing up, the Beatles were growing with me.

Then Sgt Peppers hit. Like so many others, I also discovered pot around this time. I don't think you can blame the Beatles, or Sgt Pepper for my involvement with pot at that age, but I know I turned to it partially as a search for identity, and an escape from the pain of adolesence. It was actually a year after Pepper that I started, and I found that Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, and Lord help me-'Iron Butterfly" were more conducive to listening to while stoned.

The 60's rolled on and the signs that all was not well in Beatle world were there. The white album came out, and clearly reflected the change. It was more like a collection of solo songs than a standard Beatle album. They were going through struggles and so was I. When they broke up in 1970, it made perfect sense to me. I had just graduated college, and my life was in disarray. I felt I understood John Lennon perfectly.

Theres more to say about this, but I'll do it later.

Thanks again to Ted for his insights here

When I was about 14 my dad made me go see Three Dog Night performing in a park. That sucked really badly and was a quite scary and embarassing experience for a young teenager. They were playing for free in a park, and it was full of 50 year old hippies who got out their clothes that they wore in the 60s from storage to wear just for that one night.

Of course, I've been to many, many concerts after that, and had friends in bands (I was never good enough with the guitar to be in a band, but I was a decent trumpet player.) A few of the acts I've seen are Metallica, Staind, KoRn, Wu Tang Clan, Cake, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Life, Smashing Pumpkins...and a lot more that I can't think of right now. As far as non-rock music, I've seen a few different orchestras, Mariachis Vargas de Tecalitlan (one of the world's most famous Mariachi bands), and some small club bands of various music.

I listen to weird stuff now though. For example, this morning I've listened to Ween (.... Up A Rope), Ministry (New World Order), Cowboy Bebop (Tank), Inspector (Amnesia), and that's about it.

Kathy,

Greetings!

To help you avoid further sleepless nights wondering what it is

that Meatloaf doesn?t do I submit the following:

A number of years ago they were featured on late night TV and they performed their song- ?I?LL DO ANYTHING FOR LOVE?

as best as I can recall here are the words!

And I would do anything for love

I?d run right in to hell and back

I would do anything for love

I?lll never lie to you and that?s a fact

But I?ll never forget the way you feel right now

Oh no

No way

But I won?t do that

No I won?t do that

Oh I would do anything for love

But I won?t do that

No I won?t do that

And some days it don?t come easy

And some days it don?t come hard

Some days it don?t come at all

And these are the days that never end

And some nights you?re breathing fire

And some nights you?re fogged in ice

Some nights are like nothing I?ve seen before

or will again

And maybe I?m crazy

Oh it?s crazy and it?s true

I know you can save me

No one else can save me

Now but you

As long as the planets are turning

As long as the stars are burning

As long as your dreams are coming true

You better believe it that

And I?ll be there till the final act

and I would do anything for love

and I'll take my bow and seal the pact

but I'll never forgive myself

if we don't go all the way tonight

and I would do anything for love

but I won't do that

And somedays I pray for silence

somedays I pray for us all

somedays I just pray to the God

of sex and drums and rock and roll

Some nights I loose the feeling

And some nights I loose control

Some nights I just loose it all

but I watch you dance and the thunder rolls

and maybe I?m lonely

and for awhile I?m glad to be

there?s just one and only

one and only promise I can keep

as long as the wheels are turning

as long as the fires are burning

as long as your prayers are coming true

you better believe it, that

and you know it?s true

and that?s a fact

and I?ll never think of turning back

but I?ll never do it better

than I do it with you

Oh I would do anything for love

but I won?t do that

Anything you?ve been dreaming of

but I won?t do that

I?ll never stop dreaming of you

every night of my life

When you raised me up will you help me down

will you get me right out of this God forsaken town

Will you make it a little less cold I can do that

Will you hold my secret will you hold me tight

can you colonize my life I?m so sick of black and white

can you make it a little less cold oh I can do that

Can you do some magic with your own two hands

can you build an emerald city with these blades of sand

can you give me something I can take hold of

oh I can do that I can give you everything that I?ve got

Will you hold me down with holy water

if I get too hot

will you take me places I?ve never known

Now I can do that

I know the terror you?ve been wrapped around

It will all turn to dust and will all fall down

sooner or later you?ll be screwing around

but I won?t do that

oh I would do anything for love

but I won?t do that

but I won?t do that

no I won?t do that

so I hope I didn?t derail the thread but it is your thread and it

is about music and I don?t have your email addy so I guess

everyone else can just deal with it! lol

there you go!

later

Awesome and you are right on with that song, being it is a music thread, and a heck of a one ain't it.

Very nice to meet you. Welcome and thank you for answering a question I have had for ages. Very cool indeed.

Not sure why the site is not updating my email addy yet, but since many of you already knew the old one anyway , what the heck. Here is the new one.

musicrules@insightbb.com

Well need to close my desk down and get the heck outta here.

See yall later and again thanks bunches 7390!!

Kathy

Thanks 7390 by your adding the lyrics of I'd Do Anything For Love to Kathy's mix it kinda jumps the gun into yet another music culture but that is fine perhaps we all need a break from the continued saga of the sixties music Ok Now you gals and guys 7390 has brought these lyrics of Meatloaf's to the table So do you think if you were parents at the time when I;d Do Anything For Love was popular,you would have said now that is a good song for my ten or twelve year old to listen to.Please go back and read lyrics .Now this one is mild compared to what is coming down the pike Now all I;m asking are the lyrics of this songr good or bad for young kids? It's your call. 7390 would you please repost and tell us what your thoughts are about this song.......Love to You All

One More Post Before Carve The Bird Day.

Turkey Ted.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on November 27, 2002 at 0:45.]

I've read this thread with interest. I was one of the few female "rock" guitarists in TWI. Or, I really thing, the only one. For some reason TWI always tried to squelch that in me. I also grew up with the 60s and 70s rock, loved Clapton and Cream, the Airplane, Iron Butterfly, etc. I still love rock, metal, grunge, etc. to this day.

I had played in cover bands in high school, got in the Word and really wanted to do something with Way Productions. But, girls shouldn't play electric guitar don't ya know. I then spent two years at Berklee College of Music in Boston.

I was finally allowed to play when I went in the corps. We had a dance band, run by our elder 5th corps. We needed dance songs, since no one had any, I wrote much of the material we did. On my interim year, I played in a band with a believer and we did local clubs - made extra money, until leadership got wind of it - I had to quit.

Back in residence, I coordinated the dance band. Then on staff, I played in the Emporia staff dance band. We had a kick-*** band. Some of us wanted to play out locally, but no, that wasn't allowed. Then, I started getting great pressure from top leadership to quit, sell your guitars, God has other things in store for you.... blah, blah, blah. Well, like an idiot I finally caved in. Some of those guitars are worth literally thousands today. The owner of the Emporia guitar shop was so alarmed I was selling them. I lied and told him I needed money for a motorcycle. He offered to loan me the money for the motorcyle! God, I wish I had listened to him. But no... I had to sacrifice for God - God had other things in store.

So, I didn't play for a couple of years. Then at H.Q. they needed someone for a country band. I hate country (sorry Ted), but I was picked. Then we lost the bass player so now, I've never played bass, but now I'm it. Thank God I know theory well and was able to pick it up quickly. But I couldn't stand that band and twice tried to quit. Poor Ted had to talk me into staying and even VP had a talk with me.

While on staff at HQ, I had an idea for a big band. So on my own I organized me, David Bailey, some horns and we just went and had a rehearsal at the cultural center. Didn't ask permission, just did it. Had a great time. Way Prod. got wind of it and then wanted to turn it into some soft muzak thing. I was disgusted. I mean, couldn't we do something just for f**in' fun?

Finally, VP moved onto other bands and our little country band broke up - phew - I vowed after that never to do another Way prod. thing again.

The thing that also bugged me, was that because I am female, Way prod always wanted me to wear a dress, sometimes the long evening gowns, when I played. That was one thing I stuck to my guns on - no way was I going to do that. I am a rocker dammit - we don't wear dresses onstage rocking out - was that dorky or what. I wore pantsuits.

O.k., so now I leave staff and go onto the field in NYC. I basically haven't played seriously in a few years. I have no guitar, no amp. My first two years there (I was still in TWI) I went through great soul searching - would it be ok with God if I played again?

In year two, we moved to the East Village. There was a little club, the only blues club in Manhattan at that time, and they had a Sunday afternoon jam. I would go to those. Finally, I went to a pawn shop and bought a cheap electric. My playing was rusty, but I started jamming. I was stunned because "natural man" loved my playing. After a year of it, and getting to know a lot of local musicians, I figured, well, I think God doesn't mind.

I bought a better guitar and started auditioning for some local rock bands. I realized that with my years of not playing and being in the corp, then 5 years of staff, I had really missed out musically - I mean Eddie VanHalen, Randy Rhodes, George Lynch of Dokken, Yngwie Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai, etc. - all these incredible guitarists of the era - I had a lot to catch up on. So, I sat down and for about three months shredded, listened to the albums, got the tab books, figured out modes and what the heck they were doing and made it my own.

After that I played steadily in NYC. Met and partied with the guys in Anthrax and Metallica, hung out with Debbie Harry of Blondie, met Sting, etc. I played in hard core thrash and speed metal bands - I had a f**in' blast - made up in my thirties what I should have been doing in my teens and 20s while in TWI.

Now, I am older an mellower. But in my town I play in a 9 piece jazz, fusion, latin type band with horns, extra percussion, etc. (Moxie) - I am lead guitar - we do all the huge outdoor festivals here during the summer and clubs.

My other band is a blues band. I am lead guitar. We play local clubs. In both of those bands I am the only guitar.

I also just recently joined a punk, hard rock band, everything from Courtney Love and Hole, to Green Day, etc. I am having a blast.

Granted some music, like death metal, I would not allow a child to listen to. But metal (Metallica, etc.) does have an incredible feel, is not easy to play, and has its own beauty. I imagine I will love my rock n'roll till the day I meet the Lord.

We had so many good musicians in the ministry with fabulous talent who were just wasted by TWI. Its a shame. I saw a show recently on U2. They are all (except one) born again Christians. They got in a little TWI like group in Ireland when they had just formed. They were kids. The group told them to quit the band and do things for God. They finally sat down with each other and decided no, they would continue. I wish we had had that much brains to do the same when we were young. I still think people like Stevie Kay Louis and others were fabulous. They could have had successful careers.

I now have many guitars and amps. I watch VH-1 and MTV, I keep up and I do what I love to do, whether its for people live, or by myself playing in my living room.

Well, just thought I'd share, sorry if its too long winded.

Sunesis;

You mentioned Stevie's name and so have others and asked what ever happened to her Stevie and I did a full time set down house gig (duo) in 1986-1987 at The Tavern On The Green Colorado Springs.By that time I was getting into sequenced music and along with 2 sound modules and a Roland Drum Machine plus would lay down some live keyboard chord lines so we had a pretty good sound.When Stevie would sing NY NY complete with top hat and cane she would bring the house down We played that job till I went back on the road in 1988 with another girl singer Stevie wanted to go back yo college and get her music masters degree which she did and now is a high school music and choral teacher in Colorado Springs,Her choral groups have won many awards state and national.I talk with her now and than and folks Stevie Is doing just great.

Lot of things coming up here on Kathy's thread and Im so happy to see so many of you are jumping in there.Right now I gotta go shovel my abode out.do that at least twice a year whether it needs it or not ha! ha! Hope we can get back to more on the late sixties tonight.In The meantime to all who may or may not show up hear today I would like to wish you all A Very Happy Thanksgiving.

Ted F.

Ted, I think Stevie was probably the most talented, along with Pressed Down in all of Way Prod. But, as for guitar players, Socks was my hero. He was so nice to me and was my favorite guitarist. He had that black Les Paul - help me here Socks, I'm going to say it was a Custom, possibly Standard, but pretty sure a Custom.

Also, Paul Virgilio was very tapped into the youth sound. His album was great - he even had Carlos Santana on it. He was excellent.

It seemed to me, anyone really good who got too popular among the people was somehow hassled and kind of forced out. They just kind of dissappeared. You know, a few times I got yelled at for practicing too loudly up in the back rooms of Kenyon when no one was around. I found it interesting that some top leadership would tell me I should put it down, but then I'd do the dance band shows and different top leaders and their wives, especially the wives for some reason, would tell me how much they enjoyed watching me play. It was double mixed messages.

Heart wrenching story in many ways but so damn glad to hear you got your music life together before it was too late. Inspiring for me. I gave it up to go WOW and never got it back to the extent I wanted but trying hard to now I'm closer to 50 than 40.

Talk about talent squelched. How about Bob Stanley?

I really loved his music except for the stuff that was blatantly TWI production influenced. I'm pretty sure he's still Corps and in TWI. Loved that white Fender Jazzmaster or (Jaguar) he used.

Ted Ferrell: I used to love it when you did that elvis leg twitchin thing.

hopper

Sunesis would you please hang around this thread cause I know how much you know about this stuff and along with you socks and others as we get into the late sixties and seventies your knowledge of those years would be priceless So please do not put your axe back in the case just yet I believe as we get into this area of music from the middle sixties on and seventies culture we perhaps shall find two very different cultures about to have a head on collision By that I mean the hippies from across the land and the laid back folks down on the farm at twi..Many of us were eyewitnnes to what happened and if we explore what did come down we may come up with some answers we have never considered

Don;t know if most of us will have much time for the next couple of days since it is Thanksgiving but after we get our bellies full of the bird and other goodies Let's get on with the task at hand

Love To All

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on November 27, 2002 at 13:04.]

Well, John beat me to the punch and told you we took our 15 year old to see Springsteen the other night. He played for 2 1/2 hours! The E Street Band is as good as ever. Steve Van Zandt made a comment about staying late because we'd already missed "The Sopranos".

My daughter enjoyed the concert for the most part. Very few people her age attended. Her observances of the audience were interesting ("Mom, there is not ONE black person here!" I replied, "Yes there is, he's on stage, playing the sax.") I'm glad I decided to get the extra ticket for her. When she's older, and finally realizes how good he is, she can say she saw The Boss when she was a kid.

I WANT music to influence my kids. I have friends who don't play music in their homes. The only time they listen to it is on the radio in their mini-vans! No wonder their kids like Brittney Spears and N'Sync.

My kids know the difference between Mozart and Bach when they hear it. My oldest knows how to play "Blackbird" and Led Zepplin's "Over the Hills and Far Away" (and now wants a 12-string!).

We have thousands of downloads from Napster and the like. There's always music playing in our house, or one of us is playing music.

I have told my Way Prod story before and will not go into the whole mess again. I will say that being a part of Way Prod did more to hurt my self-esteem and bruise my ego than anything I ever participated in while I was in TWI.

The good news is that I'm not in TWI anymore! But I still have no desire to play for anyone other than myself or my family sometimes.

One of the best things I've done since leaving TWI was to buy a new guitar. It's a really lovely instrument. My only regret is that I didn't think I deserved one of the better models at the time I bought it and stuck with the mid-range priced one. Woulda, shoulda, coulda...

Anyway that's my 5¢...

Hope R. color>size>face>

"Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now" - Stephen Stills

P.S. Ted - ya know I love ya - but could you please separate your paragraphs when you post. It's easier to read them in smaller pieces than in one big lump! Thankee!

Haven't been around lately, 60's not my era yet, but I'm waiting with baited breath...

Just one name I'd like to through into the mix here -

ARETHA FRANKLIN - 'Queen of soul'

Absolutely love this thread, can't say enough about it. Everyday my mother-in-law picks me up at work, I just rattle on about I read here the night before!

Ted you are too cool.

Grasshopper, glad to see you around this neck of the woods.

Just thought of someone I always adored hearing sing in TWI - Vicki Allen, when she sang "Silver Thread and Golden Needles" at a dance once, I almost came out of my skin. It was so well done!

Sunesis: Great thread. Since we have been ousted husband has not had any desire to pick-up his horn. Since finding GS, he announced to me the other day, "I'm getting my horn out of the attic honey, and I'm gonna' start to play!"

So, everyone at GS give yourselves a big pat on the back.

From your Patron Saint of EX-TWI musicians.

'til the next time...

Thank you for asking me to do something I should have been doing all along.Outside of using computer music programs I am not to swift on this posting internet thing

There I get it is that better Hope? I am glad you p[ointed that out to me So sorry you all for lumping all my words together.Will heed Hope's advice.Gee you can learn something everyday.

Hope did you get my email about finding contact info on Sammy Pryn?

Thanks

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on November 27, 2002 at 14:50.]