GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

Ted,

Actually Hopper and I are fooling around here. But reading my reply one may think they could have come and visited me and hubby, and we would have been thrilled to have em.

Can't wait for your added words to this, the funniest thread of all time. Well what can I say, I am totally pumped about this thing. It will remain a cherished print out, of one million pages. Hahahaha

Okay back to topic, man I am really the worst at derailing my own threads.

Kathy

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ted,

Hey you get back to work you, sounds like fun stuff. Recording studio stuff. Cool stuff. Yepper cool stuff indeed.

Let me ask you a question that I may have asked before but heck in the size of this puppy could have gotten loss.

What you think about words of songs today versus past where today a 50's song that use to make us blush would be okay for a 5 year old. But todays words can nearly be rated like a movie or something. Or is this a huge question and will be addressed in your continuance anyway?

Kathy

60's music...

I was only about 8 or so, but I thought I'd died and gone to Limbo when I first heard "Rumble" by Link Wray and the Raymen. Something about that tune sent chills up my spine. The 50's ended for me getting a serious jones for guitar music. Duane Eddy, James Burton with Ricky Nelson, Lonnie Mack and "Memphis", "Telstar", Chuck Berry before he married his teenage cousin. Chuck Berry right outta the prison gate a year later with "Nadine". That stuff knocked me out.

The 60's started for me with folk music - Peter Paul and Mary's stuff introduced me to a lot of music, and I had a serious crush on Mary. I can still remember that first album cover, her on a stool in this cool black beatnik outfit, blonde hair. Course I was like, 11, so it was a tragic loss for me.

There was lots of great stuff - Pete Seeger, Burl Ives, the Highwayman, the Kingston Trio, Woody Guthrie. That led me personally back to folk blues and bluegrass, Lightnin' Hopkins, Doc Watson, Leadbelly. 12 string guitars! Bottle neck slides! I remember hitting the big main Oakland library going through their music section like a sponge and later Laney Jr. college, sifting through everything I could find. When Bob Dylan hit, I was all over it. He seemed like he was from another world. Young, new, smart, hip, detached but mentally and emotionally engaged with his music.

The folk era really helped to open up American blues. When Dylan went electric, he had Michael Bloomfield with him, playing his white Telecaster. Muddy Waters, Magic Sam, Little Walter, Jimmy Reed, the Kings (B.B., Albert and Freddie), Albert Collins, all these players were out there working their clubs and coming to the front through the college audiences that had supported folk. Me, I was too young to really hear it live, but I could sense the depth of this great American music and it was electric! Loud! I loved it.

When Bloomfield surfaced with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, I thought they were the hottest thing going. Butterfield and band really helped to move the music ahead while keeping the integrity of the original. Bloomfield had been mostly a rock player before that, but he worked that Telecaster well, and moved to a Gibson Les Paul gold top and really found his voice. One of the all time best blues guitarists of the time.

Charlie Musselwhite and his harmonica blew out of Chicago with his first release "Stand Out!" Harvey Mandel was with him, doing straight blues then on a Gibson 335, fluid melodic stuff. All this stuff had a huge impact on me and my friends. The older guys doing their thing and the young guys coming up. It was great. There was respect and admiration for the older musicians and a lot of those guys were just hitting their mark.

The first time I heard B.B. King live though - for me, it was all over. I snuck in to a concert in San Francisco to see him and the Byrds one weekend, and I cried when I heard him. Loved the Byrds, but man. I'd been playing guitar for about 5 years then and thought I was hot but if he'd asked me that night if I played guitar I'd have said "what's a guitar, Sir? Teach me". It was like me and my friends "were on a mission from God" after that. The Blues. We heard it, we understood it, we wanted it.

Clapton and Jeff Beck were two other favorites of that time I heard a lot of. Clapton with the Bluesbreakers and then Cream, and Beck with the Yardbirds and then his own group with Rod Stewart. Those guys were my favorites from the English players. George Harrison, but never seemed to hear enough of his playing to satisfy me.

Later, I heard Albert and Freddie King and loved them too, (saw B.B. and Albert double billed once, with Frank Zappa, at the old Avalon Ballroom in SF and they duked it out on a tune and it scared the crap out of me all over again hearing them rip, Albert doing high feedback harmonics ala Hendrix, B.B. stepping up like "oh yeah? check THIS out!" and doing old jazz bebop 16th note runs. They were like two scarred fighters, playfully doing an exhibition match for the fans)

For me, hearing and seeing B.B. King was a teenage life changing experience. By then, the Beatles and all the English music had hit and I loved it, but when I heard him live, it was like a wave of humanity washed over me and left me different. I'd been playing in all these rock and folk bands, polka bands, you name it bands, and then suddenly I knew that was what I wanted.

Course there was also the Who...

---------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

[This message was edited by socks on November 30, 2002 at 0:55.]

I was into Elvis as a little kid, but then in 1977 at the age of 11 I heard a song on the radio. The DJ never announced who it was, but whoever it was I was hooked. A month later a kid was talking to me about a certain band he liked and he mentioned the song. When he sang it my jaw dropped. It was called "Beth" and it was by a band named KISS.

A few months later I got ALIVE and then ALIVE II and then the rest of the collection. Saw them at Madison Square Garden when I was 13, and it was unreal. Funny thing though was the amount of abuse I went through because I liked that band, but it taught me to stand up for myself and my beliefs and that's helped throughout life. Then I got turned onto HEART (their 70's stuff), VAN HALEN, QUEEN and then some jazz. Bands like RETURN TO FOREVER were great, but that was more Fusion.

I like a lot of the new stuff coming out now, and I even saw Manson in concert two years ago, but he bored the hell out of me. He does a few intersting things live, but for the most part no one realy moves on that stage. It's like they have their spots and that's it.

When I was in the ministry back in the 1980's people freaked when I would wear my KISS shirts to a twig, but my attitude was" "They're just a rock band." And when I met Paul Stanely on two occasions he was nicer to me than any Reverened in the ministry as well.

Morning yall,

Can't be on line like I would like for a few days since using our only phone line, so sad I am.

Scream, cool another poster to this kick*** thread. Thanks for posting.

quote:
When I was in the ministry back in the 1980's people freaked when I would wear my KISS shirts to a twig, but my attitude was" "They're just a rock band." And when I met Paul Stanely on two occasions he was nicer to me than any Reverened in the ministry as well.

That quote sure speaks loudly of what twi WAS NOT doing for us. You shall know them by their fruit. And theirs is pretty much rotten.

Wolf of the Word, I did not actually follow the link, assumed it to be sound versus words. Thanks there you teacher to me of late. Sure do like learning from yall here.

Socks, what can I say, geez you are the lead guitar of this here thread. So thankful for you my friend, so very thankful.

Hopper, love how you and I use this thread for our communications, heehee. BTW, I just received your email and am trying to tell our French friend the same info via AIM for ya.

Okay gonna snoop around before I have to close it down again.

My love to you all, and BTW hubby said this morning he is beginning to understand the need to be linked to folks I have grown to love and have been allowed access into their lives. He knows how much I am involved with yall outside of public view and is beginning to see it as a godly means of my giving unto the body of Christ.

See ya,

Kathy

Reading the exchanges on that consensual sex thread reminded of this song. I am now and have been since the horrible Disco Days a fan of both types of music...... Country and Western. But that is another story.

Red Ragtop: Tim McGraw.

1. Written by Jason White.

( © Acuff Rose Music Inc.)

Single release, © 2002, Curb.

I was twenty and she was eighteen.

We were just about as wild as we were green,

In the ways of the world.

She picked me up in that red ragtop,

We were free of the folks and hiding from the cops on a summer night.

Running all the red lights.

An' we parked way out in a clearing in a grove,

And the night was as hot as a coal-burning stove: we were cooking with gas.

Ooh, it had to last

In the back of that red rag top,

She said: "Please don't stop."

Well the very first time her mother met me,

Her green-eyed girl had been a mother-to-be for two weeks.

I was out of a job and she was in school.

And life was fast and the world was cruel, we were young and wild.

We decided not to have a child.

So we did what we did and we tried to forget.

And we swore up and down there would be no regrets in the morning light.

But all the way home that night:

On the back of that red ragtop,

She said: "Please don't stop loving me."

We took one more trip around the sun,

But it was all make believe in the end.

No, I can't say where she is today.

I can't remember who I was back then.

Well, you do what you do and you pay for your sins.

And there's no such thing as what might have been, that's a waste of time.

Drive you out of your mind.

I was stopped at a red light just yesterday.

Beside a young girl in a cabriolet, and her eyes were green.

And I was in an old scene.

I was back in that red ragtop,

On the day she stopped loving me.

I was back in that red ragtop,

On the day she stopped loving me.

all better now.........

Grizzy COLOR>SIZE>

[This message was edited by Grizzy on November 30, 2002 at 11:52.]

Socks, thanks for pointing out this thread when you did. I've been so busy that this is the first time I could sit down and read the whole thing.

My son and bro-in-law are laying new tile in my kitchen, and since my living room is full of the contents of my kitchen, and since they don't really need any sidewalk supervision from me, I have a perfect excuse to dive in here!

First, thanks CK, for starting this thread. It's gotta be among my top five favorites of all WayDale/GreaseSpot time! I'll do my contributions in small pieces, so as not to drive anyone nuts with long post toasties!

Music is such a part of my heart and soul and memories that I can't imagine life without it. Being of rather (ahem) advanced years compared to some of you here, I can remember listening to the radio as a little girl in the early 50s, before we had a TV. My first favorite song on the radio was called "Happy Wanderer." I have no idea who sang it, but I can remember listening to it on one of those big wooden radios in our living room, and I can vividly remember singing it on a happy, summer day as I crossed the field between our house and the neighbors' house.

I'm not nuts about the sound of that song today, but I still like the lyrics! A Web search revealed that this is now considered a camp song for scouts. Here are the happy lyrics:

The Happy Wanderer

I love to go a-wandering,

Along the mountain track,

And as I go, I love to sing,

My knapsack on my back.

Chorus:

Val-deri,Val-dera,

Val-deri,

Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

Val-deri,Val-dera.

My knapsack on my back.

I love to wander by the stream

That dances in the sun,

So joyously it calls to me,

"Come! Join my happy song!"

I wave my hat to all I meet,

And they wave back to me,

And blackbirds call so loud and sweet

From ev'ry green wood tree.

High overhead, the skylarks wing,

They never rest at home

But just like me, they love to sing,

As o'er the world we roam.

Oh, may I go a-wandering

Until the day I die!

Oh, may I always laugh and sing,

Beneath God's clear blue sky!

[Amen to that!!]

Another favorite was Vaya con Dios by Les Paul and Mary Ford. Hey Socks and Ted, didn't Les Paul invent the electric guitar?

More after I see how the floor installers are getting along.

Linda Z

[This message was edited by Linda Z on November 30, 2002 at 10:50.]

Hey Johniam, that's something about your mom traveling to Davenport to hear Bix play. He was another musician who succumbed young...to the ravages of alcohol, I believe. My dad, when he was young, tended bar in his aunt and uncle's tavern in Davenport, and Bix's dad was a regular customer whom my dad got to be friends with. Don't know if he ever went to hear Bix play, though. I'll have to ask him.

While on the jazz topic, even though I've never been a huge jazz fan, I loved the heck out of Ken Burns's jazz documentary. He really put the people, and hence the heart, into the history of jazz. I was so jealous when Socks e-d me that he met Ken Burns at the Mark Twain film preview! What a talent that man has for seeing into the humanity in all he chronicles.

Linda Z

Linda Z,

Thanks for joining us, you are a wonderful addition. And Socks, you are a great PR man there.

Camp songs are fine music, fun they now refer to that one as such. Found memories can be had in music of our youth can't it? I have often thanked our Father above for having been born into a music family. And I did my best to make sure my son had the same advantage. Life without music would be soooooo lacking. And it would appear there are a number of music lovers here in GS.

Well must let this phone line go back to being a phone line again. Will log back in later today and see what yall have been up to.

Much love and hugs to you all,

Kathy

If any of you decide to take Ted up on his offer, I'd love to join the outing. I don't have a thimbleful of musical knowledge compared to Ted, but I am a Cleveland history buff and could point out some pretty groovy historic homes and landmarks on the way there.

And Ted, maybe you and I should blow off our next lunch rendezvous at Applebee's and do lunch at the Rock Hall one of these days. Your singing and my dancing wouldn't cause quite as much of a stir there, and I bet you could give me one heck of an education!

Ted, I loved Bobby Darin, and your story about meeting him and helping him brought a sweet tear to my eye. I was so sad when he died, and I'm so happy you had the chance to give him a leg up.

Linda Z

You said something so wonderful that I just wanted to bring it back up:

"As far as being a Christian, I figure, my job as a musician is to bless those people, make them forget about their day jobs and idiot bosses and have fun. When I look up and see people jumping up and down on tables 'cause the music has taken them to another place and they've had a great time and talk about it with their friends for the next few days, I've done my job."

If you ask me, that, my old friend, captures the heart of a true musician, like you and Socks and Ted (and sorry if I missed others in this thread).

Nothing pleases me more when listening to a band, whether in a small club or a huge concert venue, than seeing the musicians (a) enjoying what they're doing and (B) connecting with the people they're playing for.

In 1998 I went to Hord Fest with a friend and her teenage daughters. (Pretty hip for an old hippie long past her prime, eh? LOL) I was especially excited about seeing Smashing Pumpkins and Barenaked Ladies.

Smashing Pumpkins were musically fine, but they barely even bothered to look out into the crowd. They could have been in a damn recording studio for all they seemed to care. Barenaked Ladies were the exact opposite. They connected bigtime. They were so much fun, and way more versatile than I'd have guessed, from show tunes to hard rockin' rock. So while Smashing Pumpkins might be considered more serious musicians and all that, I'd take another day with BNL over them any old day.

Music, the music I love, is about passion, about fun, about heart and guts and rhythm and feelings--laughter and tears and amazement. It's not about sitting there in your perfectly tailored costumes being all theatrical and self-important. Blech.

Linda Z

You guys wound me up, and now I can't stop!

The late 1950s musically were for me about love ballads and "It has a good beat...you can dance to it...I'd give it a 10!" As a young teen, I wanted music that you could either dance to or dream about kissing Ricky Nelson or Fabian to.

Obvioiusly, my music-appreciation range started out pretty narrow but, because of something Socks mentioned earlier, my scope widened. As he said, radio stations used to play everything from Perry Como to Bill Haley and the Comets to the Chipmunks to you-name-it. Without that, I don't know if I'd have gotten exposed to anything more than the pop song d'jour!

Linda Z

Linda Z...

BNL are a LOT more fun than many of the bands that are around today. My 15 year old considers them to be an "old" band, though! LOL - I think any band that's more than a year old is now considered passé by a teenager.

As I said earlier - we just went to see Springsteen. I haven't seen anyone connect with an audience as well as he does for years and years. We had really close seats, but they were BEHIND the stage! The concert was sold out, so every seat behind the stage was taken on 3 levels. I never felt like I missed out because Bruce, as well as the rest of the band, made sure that we had at least one of them facing us throughout the night. Bruce also turns around a lot to jam with Max, so I probably got to see as much of his face as the people out front! He's in his 50's and still slides around the stage and jumps up on the piano and does all the things he did when he was in his 20's & 30's.

I really appreciate performers who go the extra mile to not only play the music, but to let you know that they're there for you. I haven't seen anyone like him for a long time.

Hope R. color>size>face>

"Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now" - Stephen Stills

That wasn't a picture on the ceiling.

Thanks for the compliment on my guitar playing. Did you guys like my rendition of "King of the Road"?I'm working on "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport" for your Xmass visit. We've got the spare room all fixed up for you. I think you'll like my velvet glow in the dark Elvis painting. Can't guarantee that the toddlers won't check in on you though... I'll try to get the lock fixed.

Got you a reservation on Basket Airways out of Rock City with stopovers in Sault St Marie and Rangoon,Vermont.

Have you ever ridden in a turboprop biplane?

Return trip is on the "City of New Orleans" via Lodi NJ and Beckley West VA. Should be a nice ride. BYOB.

Well we can't wait. I'll e-mail you the menu ASAP

I'm thinking a Polish-Mexican-Hungarian kind of thing.

send me the plumbing bill along with GI Joe.

love

hopper

Socks:

In just 1 post I think you mentioned ALL of my favorite artists! But one in particular, that I have always loved is Freddie King! He had such a unique voice and picking style, using a thumbpick and steel fingerpick. Like many other blues greats, he could play the simplest riffs with such feeling and emotion that no one could ever really cover him and do him justice!

Click HERE to listen to "Same Old Blues", one of my favorite songs by Freddie. Sorry about the low quality, I wanted to make it small enough for those who don't have broadband.

Rick

Bluzeman, Now your name along would indicate you should be posting in this thread. Thanks for adding your spice to the mix.

Hopper, That wasn?t a picture on the ceiling?

Especially loved your "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport" rendition. You know Tennessee Williams "Tennessee Waltz"? If so play it for us Hopper. We can call the plumber bill a wash for your song, heehee.

Can I hang out in Vermont before re-boarding that big ole plane ya got for us?

Your choice of Christmas meal sounds yummy. I will bring the Greek desert.

Well gotta leave again, see yall later on.

Kathy

Pardon my self-indulgent stroll down memory lane thus far. I'll try to contribute something now that has to do with the original topic.

For all the complaining about rock 'n roll by some adults during the 60s, I for one think the questioning and rebelling that was reflected in our music led many of us to the place where we at least considered spiritual things. We (the youth of the 60s) had graduated out of the bubble gum pop scene and into some real music, performed by real people who were also questioning the status quo of society at the time.

One of my favorite bluesy-folksy singer-songwriters in the late 60s was Eric Anderson. I found a friend at HQ in the 80s who said some of his songs were instrumental to her turning to God. I had another friend who said the Moody Blues did that for her. For me it was a combination of Dylan, lots of classic blues, some Moody Blues and a little Beatles mixed in for good measure.

Even during my brief stint as a self-proclaimed agnostic in my late teens/early 20s and during my pre-Way days, I could tell right from wrong in song lyrics without some clergy person telling me what was "evil." Music by communists, for example, didn't turn me into a communist, so the whole "Marxist Minstrels" thing fell on deaf ears with me.

Likewise, today's music that I consider harsh and violent doesn't magically turn kids into murderers and gang bangers, if they've been brought up with love and boundaries and if they've been taught/allowed to think for themselves.

I thought the whole subject of "worldly" music in twi was overspiritualized. I did balk at some of the stuff my son brought home, like the time he went to an AC-DC concert and brought back a program with that picture of a fetus that looked like a devil with horns and a tail. I didn't let that stay in my house, but I tried and mostly succeeded in keeping my nose out of his musical tastes. He claims I threw away a Motley Crue T-shirt of his once because I didn't like it. I might have, but I don't remember that.

It wasn't just the kids' music at HQ that many people looked down their noses at. When my son went off to art school after graduating from NK High and came back for a visit sporting wild skateboarder's hair, some people gave me crap about "letting" him look that way. In the adapted words of Kelly Osbourne: "his hair, his life, his business!" I figured young people needed to find themselves and find their own way, once they'd been given a solid foundation in childhood. I was proud of him that he had the guts to follow his own fashion desires.

Linda Z

Grizzy,

Remember a couple other songs that were banned from some stations?

Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks

Earl by Dixie Chicks

Both dealing in what some apparently did not feel where suitable for listeners. Yet some music today is light years away in substance and are praised as an art form.

Which I am not saying should not be allowed to be played but your song and these two noted above are just plain life topics.

Kathy