GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you have mentioned a few of the seventies songs so I'd better jump in here.Think I will shorten my posts a little and take it one or two years at at a time.

1970 as mentioned Bj Tomas had the number one hit of that year..Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head that contained a good postive lyric

Simon and Garfunkeel scored with a biggie that I love yet today ..Bridge Over Troubled Water

Let It Be by the Beatles and do any of you recall hearing that was a song about pot when they sang the line Mother Mary Comes To Me speaking Words Of Wisdom Let It Be I never bought into that did any of you? Another wondeful Beatles song from that year The Long And Binding Road..George Harrison did My Sweet Lord as the Beatles began to unravel and fall apart

Jackson Five gave us ABC. The Love You Save and I Want You Back Diana Ross goes solo with Ain't No Mountain High Enough as Neil Diamond sang about his Cracklin'Rosie Smokey Robinson cried Tears Of A Clown

Bubble gum music was in with a big hit of Breads Make It With You

This may be another Barry Manilow type chat when I bring up this next name and that being The Carpenters as for me I loved their smooth sound and wonderful songs Karen Carpenter had the swweetest voice this side of heaven and when I heard Close To You it made my heart melt.Their appeal was to the adults as most of the rockin younger set brushed their music aside. I stiil have most of thier albums and listen to them from time to time So folks what is your take on The Carpenters because as we stroll through the seventies their songs will appear again and again

Thats all for now you all please add your comments and thoughts about the seventies as The Beat Goes On

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 13, 2002 at 21:40.]

How ya doin' buddy?

Well just a few more names: Not sure when this came out but Karly Simon 'You're so Vain" apparently written about Warren Beatty.

Then there was Beatles : I Will. One of my favourites. Also, Alison Krauss did a remake of this as well as Sarah McLaughlin. Music Music Music at its' best.

Ok, going a littly folksy I know, how about Harry Chapin and his beautiful melodies like Cats in the Craddle. And the top song for 1972 by Don McLean; Bye Bye American Pie and the beautiful song he wrote about Vincent Van Gothe -called Vincent (I think - or was it Starry, Starry Night).

Oh, Oh I'm on a roll, Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman. And then, of course one of my favourite balladeers: Gordon Lightfoot.

Better Stop now ...

'til the next time...

simonzelotes,

Thanks for joining us here. And I agree with yall, what a wonderful songster Gordon Lightfoot.

The Wreck Of the Edmund Fitzgerald (Summertime Dream)

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down

Of the big lake they called 'Gitche Gumee'

The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead

When the skies of November turn gloomy

With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more

Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty.

That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed

When the gales of November came early.

The ship was the pride of the American side

Coming back from some mill in Wisconsin

As the big freighters go, it was bigger than most

With a crew and good captain well seasoned

Concluding some terms with a couple of steel firms

When they left fully loaded for Cleveland

And later that night when the ship's bell rang

Could it be the north wind they'd been feelin'?

The wind in the wires made a tattle-tale sound

And a wave broke over the railing

And every man knew, as the captain did too,

T'was the witch of November come stealin'.

The dawn came late and the breakfast had to wait

When the Gales of November came slashin'.

When afternoon came it was freezin' rain

In the face of a hurricane west wind.

When suppertime came, the old cook came on deck sayin'.

Fellas, it's too rough to feed ya.

At Seven P.M. a main hatchway caved in, he said

Fellas, it's been good t'know ya

The captain wired in he had water comin' in

And the good ship and crew was in peril.

And later that night when his lights went outta sight

Came the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Does any one know where the love of God goes

When the waves turn the minutes to hours?

The searches all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay

If they'd put fifteen more miles behind her.

They might have split up or they might have capsized;

May have broke deep and took water.

And all that remains is the faces and the names

Of the wives and the sons and the daughters.

Lake Huron rolls, Superior sings

In the rooms of her ice-water mansion.

Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams;

The islands and bays are for sportsmen.

And farther below Lake Ontario

Takes in what Lake Erie can send her,

And the iron boats go as the mariners all know

With the Gales of November remembered.

In a musty old hall in Detroit they prayed,

In the Maritime Sailors' Cathedral.

The church bell chimed till it rang twenty-nine times

For each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald.

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down

Of the big lake they call 'Gitche Gumee'.

Superior, they said, never gives up her dead

When the gales of November come early!

Never heard that he had a relative on Edmund Fitzgerald. He grew up in Orillia Ontario, Canada. I believe he has native decendants hence the name "Lightfoot".

Sarah McLaughlin has just recorded one of his songs I think it's called, "A Winter's Night with You". Very different.

His early stuff was wonderful.

Steel Rail Blues, Boss Man, Love and Maple Syrup, Summerside of Life, Did She Mention my Name .... I could go on and on and on and on and on...

'til the next time...

Searching through the fragments of my dream-shattered sleep,

I wonder if the years have closed her mind.

I guess it must be wanderlust or trying to get free,

From the good old faithful feeling we once knew.

That is a beautiful song as well. His music is haunting, it just gets inside ya and hangs around. I can understand why just the words on a sign could bring his music to memory.

My second guess would be that you played the flute. Was it the flute? It could have been the flute. Lots of girls played the flute at that age. It's a great little girl instrument, much better than a violin, which is really a subliminal invitation to marry a mobster when you get older...

Nice try Ala, but if it wasn't the recorder, which I'm sure Linda played like a pro, then it was most likely the flute.

Linda, dear and beautiful Linda,

Did you perhaps play the Kazoo? I'm sure you'd have been a fine, fine, kazoo player. I can hear you in my mind's ear, belting out great tunes like, "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy" and "You're a Grand Old Flag" even. Such a great childhood memory that must be for you.

(please ignore the wailing sound coming from behind me, it's one of those pesky noisemakers my brother pinned to the back of my shirt and I just can't reach it)

Hmmm . . . flute, violin, dulcimer, recorder, autoharp, kazoo . . . I'm losing track. There was a picture of an accordion . . . did anyone guess that? If not, I'll vote for the squeeze box, only because when my husband wanted to take guitar lessons as a child, his music teacher made him learn the accordion first. He's still traumatized by it.

Or could it have been something as generic as the piano?

Just wanted to tell all of you that have posted here how much I enjoy all you have to say. Regardless of what we believe or don't believe music has a way of reacing out to the heart and soul of a man woman or child and knows no boundries.

Kathy as I look at the title of this thread it makes me smile because so far it is plain to see twi did not have much of an impact on what we should or should not listen to.ha! ha!

Linda when will the mystey be revealed ?

That's all for now but you all keep on a truckin'

Love Ya!

Ted F.

Ted,

I would agree twi had little impact on changing our personal tastes in music. However what they did have an impact on was how we enjoyed other forms of music in our lives. And how much we were encouraged or discouraged to be involved with it.

I would have chosen to pursue it in some capacity, probably song writing, maybe even singing. But their opinion of my time was what hindered me from doing so. The same applies to my son. He has talent, not just a mother?s opinion either.

But years ago twi had an opinion that too much time invested in outside efforts needed to be held up to the Word for review. I was told "measure your outside efforts against God getting the glory", then followed with "you only get to the top in a profession or art form via one God or the other", "and our God would not have us entangled in the world". Well that pretty much squelched any effort on my part and aided in my making terrible life choices for my son.

Interesting that today they now encourage their youth to pursue music. Sure wish they had that godly insight back then. ha ha

Kathy

A la and bowtwi, sorry, no flute, no violin, no dulcimer (though I love the dulcimer). And Yana, no autoharp--this was a full decade before my hippie phase.

laleo, you got it. Yes, as a little shrimp of a girl, I played a biiiiiiig red accordian that probably weighed almost as much as I did. I could barely peek over the top of it to see my music, and the bottom came down to my knees. I used to get a chapped chin from it!

What I really wanted was a piano, but there wasn't room in our house for one (or so Mom and Dad told me...I think they actually were afraid after paying to have one hauled in, I'd lose interest). So when my best friend started taking accordian lessons, I insisted on doing the same.

It wasn't the coolest instrument in the world, but when Zydaco (sp?) had its burst of mainstream popularity and when Drew Carey appeared on his show playing one, I felt I'd been redeemed from total geekdom.

Anyone want to hear a few bars up "Up on a Housetop"?

Laleo, e me your address so I can send the prize.

Linda

You poor thing, Linda, that's borderline child abuse! Ohmygod!!! Was there any fun to it? I never woulda guessed that in a million years, not s a serious guess, anyways... Heck, I'm not even sure I know how to spell it!

Yikes, well laleo, you deserve the prize. It was fun to play.

Ala, sure was fun messin' around with ya - hope I didn't hurt ya too bad when I "accidentally" elbowed ya there - didn't see ya, yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!

All I keep hearing as I type this sad concession post is the Beatles - "I'm a Loo-oo-oo-ser"

Oh well, maybe I'll win the $100 million FL lotto tonight.

IhopeIwinIhopeIwinIhopeIwinIhopeIwinIhopeIwin!!!!!

Since I bailed out of twi in 1984 it's hard for me to understand why and how in the H anyone would think they have the right to try and control anothers life in any area. Looking back I knew it was time for me to go because my work there was finished and also I had a gut level feeling the times they are a changin'and that I would not put up with any horse s***

My heart goes out to you Kathy and your son that you were put upon by such baloney and wrong teaching Well my friend it ain't over till it's over and should I be able to help you or your son in anyway concerning music I am here for ya! and Kath who knows you might even be the next Patsy Cline Hey!and just maybe we will write the next big hit but no rap if you please ha! ha!

While thinking about this stuff I don/t know if any of you are aware but back in 1971 Way Prod was set up by me to stand on it's own and not be a dept of twi a long story I may tell you sometime.

Love To All

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 14, 2002 at 17:59.]