GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

Socks:

The Roy tunes you mentioned are all great. John's Blues was one of my favorites...I think it was on A Street Called Straight or one of those other early albums. Those soulful instrumentals were always his best work IMO, but he got more recognition for burner albums like Dancin' On The Edge and When a Guitar Plays The Blues. He did a funky version of Green Onions that I really liked too.

I agree with your assessment of Gatton. I have a few albums of his here at home that I really enjoy. I think that the comaprison was largely due to both of them being big in the D.C. area at the heights of their careers. Really sad that both men decided to end their own lives.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

"We...know how cruel the truth often is, and we wonder whether delusion is not more consoling"

Henri Poincare

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yae Oaks! Sad they're gone. I really wish Roy had found the right niche for himself and stopped drinking, too. Reading that last autobio of his by Phil Carson shook my tree. I could understand some of the things he struggled with internally. It was hard to finish it. It seems his family background may have led him to Christ early in life, it's hard to tell. Any idea on that?

I ran across a live version of a tune called "Blues in E" online, but the only download I found was a partial. It opens with one of the band saying "Blues in E...look out!" Ever heard of it or any idea where I could get it? It sounded like it was really going to be good.

-----------------------------

quack

Socks,

I'm not sure what I have to do with all that rain you're experiencing but the theme song for today where I am should be...

Gordon Lightfoot ~ 10 Degrees and Getting Colder! icon_frown.gif:(-->

Actually this morning I woke to a lovely -20 Celcius ! Brrrrrrrr! But this thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy ! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

'til the next time...

Just doing a weather check A la and saying hi! Hi! icon_smile.gif:)--> If dogs were ducks they'd be happy as frogs today in the northern west coast of the Golden State. I've been in it twice and will again, but I'll stop complaining because -20 celcius! is way colder than it was when I got up this morning. Get out those thick, fuzzy socks! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> It's not near that cold here. I actually had to switch out of my shorts for sweatpants last night after I got in, it was THAT cold. icon_eek.gif

On to the next system...and beyond! (work, who's idea was THAT?) icon_razz.gif:P-->

quack

Tuesday night's Tom's Bedtime CD Pick is Quadrophenia by The Who.

This is still one of my favorite albums. I bought it back in 1974 (?) on the recommendation of a guy that I worked with at a summer job. There wasn't too many radio-friendly cuts on Quadrophenia, but a few still get played on "classic rock" radio like The Real Me 5:15 and The Punk Meets the Godfather.

One of the things that I enjoy about this album is John E's bass playing. I don't know enough about music to tell if he's just playing the higher notes, or if he's got it tuned higher, but there's a melodic quality to his bass playing that almost makes it the lead instrument in some places.

I went back to the doctor

To get another shrink

Started tellin' him 'bout my weakness

But he never would change what he'd think

Can you see the real me?

Can ya? can ya?

Socks:

Is that Roy B bio widely available?, I'd like to read it.

Some of Roy B's early song and album titles lead me to believe that he was (at some point) a Christian. His third album was called A Street Called Straight and he had a cut on his first album called The Messiah Will Come Again(a very soulful instrumental).

Not familiar with "Blues in E".

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

"We...know how cruel the truth often is, and we wonder whether delusion is not more consoling"

Henri Poincare

Morning yall, sure is fun to check in and see your smiling words and faces. Not here much right now, hubby took a slight step backwards but all is well. And I have had some things going on as well. Geez getting older really sucks. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

A la prochaine, sorry I couldn't chat last night. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Socks, check your email from me, I relayed something from Ted to ya. icon_wink.gif;)-->

Oak, you sure have loads to add here, so cool you coming on board. Thanks! icon_cool.gif

My love to yall,

Kathy

Man, when the mood is right- when the moon is a stray dog on the ridge and I'm feelin' like slummin' like some nighthawk at the diner on the boulevard of broken dreams I slap on some Tom Waits...

every time I hear Putnam County I go back home:

I guess things were always quiet around Putnam County

kind of shy and sleepy as it clung to the skirts of the 2-lane

that stretched out like an asphalt dance floor

Where all the old timers would hunker down

in bib jeans and store bought boots

lyin' about their lives and the places they'd been.......

Ah, Chatty, something that I like to remember when this aging bites me is that getting older beats not getting older, ya know?

I'm sure enjoying this thread too, I'm so glad it continues...

Hey Oak, I especially enjoy the nightly cd's you listen to. So far, I think I don't know and love one or two - I think you have great taste (tee hee) in music.

Btw, my son's middle name is Reed. Loved that you played Velvet Underground the other night... Did you see that Lou has a new cd coming out? I heard a "sneak preview" on aol the other day...

Ok,

Popping in to say hello. Am listening to Linda Ronstadt do : Someone to Watch Over Me by Gershwin.

Man that piece of music is timeless.

Just a musical thought .. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->.

Ok, I'm back, am listening to Nickel Creek with John Mayer doing 'NEON'. If anyone is an upright bass lover this is the song for you.

OOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU ~ soothing to the soul! icon_cool.gificon_wink.gif;)--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_cool.gif

'til the next time...

[This message was edited by A la prochaine on January 22, 2003 at 12:55.]

Monday night I went to an "open stage" at a local bar. They have a "house band" start things off, and then invite folks to jam with them, or if you have your own band, do a short set of your own.

It is very popular and usually draws a big crowd.

Monday night, after the first set by the house band, a band of junior high kids played some speed metal that was a little rough around the edges, but had a lot of heart.

Next set was more blues. About halfway through the set, the MC convinced a guy sitting in the back to join the band on violin. Turns out he was a violinist with the symphony and has played in symphonies around the country. He was amazing!

After a set of blues, he was joined by a symphony colleague and they did a duet that was hard to categorzize into a particular genre, but had the audience enraptured. After the set, he recieved the first standing ovation I had ever seen given at this bar.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Henri Poincare

Tom's Bedtime CD Pick for Wednesday night:

Flight of the Cosmic Hippo by Béla Fleck and the Flecktones.

Béla Fleck plays electric banjo in a manner that will cause you to question whether you have ever actually heard a banjo before!

He is backed by some great musicians, including Victor Wooten, one of the better bass players to come down the proverbial pike, and Howard Levy, a genius on harmonica. Also featured is Lamont "Future Man" Wooten, playing something called a "Synthaxe Drumitar" that synthesizes drum and guitar from the same guitar-shaped instrument...very strange icon_eek.gif

This particular CD has a cover of The Star Spangled Banner and The Beatles' Michelle, a couple of killers called Flying Saucer Dudes and Turtle Rock; the title cut is a slow, funky, jazzy number that will take over your mind if you're not careful. I once closed a Way branch dance with it when the BC asked for something slow to end with icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I discovered Béla when I was late night deejay Rosedale Tom on a local radio station and have been hooked on the Flecktones ever since.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Henri Poincare

Socks et al...

What do you think of all these young bands that are doing covers of other songs? I was in a store today and heard "Somebody's Baby", a Jackson Browne song, done by another group. At first, I thought it was the original because it sounded just like it - but after I listened for a few seconds, I realized it was a cover band.

I wondered - why bother? This isn't the only time I've heard a cover of another song that sounded exactly like the original. Not too long ago, I heard a cover of Steve Miller's "Abracadabra" that was practically a clone!

It also seems that most of the cover songs are from the 70's. Perhaps the old hits are a sure thing. It baffles me...

Hope R. color>size>face>

GO BUCS!!!size> color>

quote:
Originally posted by Oakspear:

Socks:

Is that Roy B bio widely available?, I'd like to read it.

Some of Roy B's early song and album titles lead me to believe that he was (at some point) a Christian. His third album was called _A Street Called Straight_ and he had a cut on his first album called _The Messiah Will Come Again_(a very soulful instrumental).

Not familiar with "Blues in E".

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Henri Poincare

Thanks, I'm looking for that tune on Kazza, no luck yet.

Yeah! The book is titled "Roy Buchanan: An American Axe", by Phil Carson. I got mine at Amazon dot com

It starts out from his birth in Arkansas and fills in a lot of history on him.

I don't think I can forget his voice on 5 String Blues when he sings:

"Oh Jesus, this is my final plea.

Don't let the devil,

Get the best of me".

Then on the tune right after that on the album, side 2 he does this little exquisite acoustic piece and sings:

"Thank you, Lord.

Saw the sunshine today.

Bless you, Lord.

Got to see my children play.

It may not be the right way to pray.

But I want to thank you anyway.

Thank you, Lord."

The whole thing is so real it's haunting, in the way great blues is when it calls out from deep in the heart. Those two songs leave me wrung out, like you go to this dark place in his heart and then come out to the light of day at the end. The first time my daughter heard his "cry baby" sounds, she got a little scared and she was 17...she knew right off it wasn't a wah wah pedal. "it sounds like a baby crying. No, dad, a REAL baby". She liked it but she didn't want to listen to it again, too spooky she said.

He may have never succeeded on a large scale because he was too real. Course then he'd do all that chicken pickin' stuff on novelty tunes like "Haunted House" and I just scratch my head. icon_smile.gif:)-->

quack

[This message was edited by socks on January 22, 2003 at 20:17.]

[This message was edited by socks on January 22, 2003 at 20:23.]

[This message was edited by socks on January 22, 2003 at 20:28.]

Hope, dunno. I heard a version of "I've Just Seen a Face", my daughter had and we compared versions. I think it was Thrice doing it, punk style. It was okay, but well, different. icon_smile.gif:)--> I'm kind of glad they're picking up on the tunes I guess.

That Brown tune is good, solid rock. Lee Sklar's bass playing is xxx-rated PG-18, he's just dead rock hard on the bottom all the way through. I've got it on a few cd's I made of tunes.

"Well, just look at that girl

With the light comin' up in her eyes.

She's got be somebody's baby.

She's so fine.

She's probably somebody's baby, alright,

I try to shut my eyes but I can't get her outta my sight.

I know I'm gonna know her but I gotta get over

my fright.

I'm just gonna walk up to her, I'm gonna talk to her tonight.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

It just reminds me of high school, y'know? Every-guy-with-a-gleam-in-his-eye on the make, sweatin' how to say hello to "that girl over there". It's classic. Can't picture another version somehow!

quack

Hope:

I always liked covers, but not so much when it's a "cloned" version. The beauty of a good cover is changing it up enough to make it fresh.

In my deejay days, I produced a show called Shades of Blue which was probably 60% covers; usually a classic blues song followed by a rendition by a rock band, e.g. You Need Love by Muddy Waters, and Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin; or Crossroads by Robert Johnson and by Cream. I lost track of how many versions I had of Baby Please Don't Go. And those 60's/70's rock bands were gold mines for blues covers.

Foo Fighters do a great cover of Baker Street that I've been hearing a lot; and I liked Metallica's version of Bob Seager's Turn the Page; heard a heavy version of Kim Carnes' Total Eclipse of the Heart by a local band last month.

Sometimes a cover is a quick and dirty way to gain a wider audience, sometimes it's a tribute to an artist that influenced the band, hard to say.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Henri Poincare

Just three words...(well almost icon_razz.gif:P-->)

Earth, Wind and Fire ~ any takers out there?

I loved these guys in the mid to late 70's. I think I wore out at least a dozen pair of shoes dancin' to this stuff.

All time favourite song - 'September' icon_cool.gif

And one more question - maybe Socks or Ted you guys can help me out here.

Were any of the musicians in Joyful Noise once musicians in Tower of Power?

'til the next time...

Yah, Skipper. That was the beauty of JN - lots of people played in it over the years. Skip had a huge influence on the sound, played sax of course, flute some, accordion on "Oh the Price He Paid", maybe others can't remember, and brought organ to the arrangements as a regular instrument. The guy has some serious talent. Plus he wrote some nifty tunes. It was always a special moment to hear him wail off at the end of his song "Raise Your Head". He and his wife Nancy, whole family - salt of the earth. David G played some with JN, couple times, not sure what the arrangement was when Takit was out with Joyful Noise or who played drums with them, can't recall.

See, it relates..."Earth, Wind and Fire"...salt of the...

oh well...

icon_smile.gif:)-->

quack

Hmmmm....Takit...I think David Garibaldi was the regular drummer and Skip played sax and other. Dean E on bass, Danny Hoefer on guitar, and one other guitarist whose name escapes me.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Henri Poincare

More on Roy Buchanan

Do you know who used to be an intense Roy Buchanan fan? Harve Platig. I knew Harve when he was in seventh grade and I in sixth. He lived up the street from me and was the new kid on the block. He didn' go to my elementary or jr high school though, because he went to a ritzy liberal school down in DC. At any rate I went to his house one time and he played some amazing licks on his guitar and I was impressed. He played "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" which was amazing to me for someone only in 7th grade. By the tme high school came around, he was back in the public school system, and had become a serious Roy Buchanan fan. We reconnected again briefly when we were in the same class when I was a sophomore. When I was senior (well the same age as a senior-I was a drop out) he had been out a year and was playing at a night club called the "Psychedeli" in downtown Bethesda, MD. They were really good and called themselves "Lone Oak" because they lived on Lone Oak Street, (one block from the WOWs). Harve was a big attraction because he really played some hot licks, and locals really loved the band because they played alot of cover songs that everybody liked. -Mustang Sally-After Midnight-Six Days On The Road-Hit The Road Jack-All good beer drinking songs. The vocalist gal was really superb also. At any rate, one of the WOW gals witnessed to Harvey and brought him to the twig that I went to and he and I had a heartsy reunion one night when he came to twig for the first time. It was actually then that I started to go to the Psychedeli to listen to his band. While getting re-acquainted with my old "neighborhood sometimes friend", Harvey kept talking about Roy Buchanan who was from our general area. Finally Harve brings us this album to twig one time and plays us this song called "The Messiah Will Come Again". It was an excellent and hauntingly superb song, as you R.B. fans already know. Harvey loved it and he said that he used to listen to it alot and it really made him think about God and Jesus Christ and such, and about believing in them.

As time went on, before we all went WOW that year, Harvey wrote a song called "Someday" which was his version "The Messiah Will Come Again". Although he was no Roy Buchanan, it was a beautiful song with lots of weeping sustained notes. One night at the old Psychedeli, Harvey intro'd the song and dedicated it to our table. He said the song was about "a special kind of Hope". Of course we and the WOWs loved it for it's special meaning, and the crowd loved it as well. It was a great song.

Now I know that Harvey is the current V.P of TWI, and it is really hard for me to understand why he stuck around all those years. But back then Harve was a great guy. He was simple, loving, and just one of us. I remember that in the spring of '76 he took off for HQ for a music advance with Dean Ellenwood and folks and he came back all jazzed about "Word in music". He and I did some stuff once where he played a cool blues shuffle on a steel blues guitar, and I played harp. It was called "Jesus Is My Rock (And He Rolled My Blues Away)" I can still hear that tune in my head. I can play it on my guitar, but not like Harvey could. Geez, I'm "nostalgifying" now...

At any rate, Roy Buchanan was a big inspiration to Harvey spiritually (because of that song) as well as musically. And I'm thankful Harve turned me on to him. So sad old Roy had to go and do himself in. I never did hear what his sadness was about, to cause him to just give it all up. I still pray for Harvey...

Buck, thanks for telling us about Harve in the good ole days. He was my bc in Memphis. I thought the world of him, Peggy, and children. It is hard for me to believe that he is still involved in twi.

The decisions we make today form our future.

Hey Buck, yeah! Nice background there. Harve and I talked about Roy back then and he later played me a live cassette of that tune Someday. It was very nice and I remember it just the way you describe it.

First met Harve that summer he came in for the workshop. He had his Gibson SG strapped on the back of his bike. I was hanging around the BRC driveway.

Couple years later, played him an album by a guy named Ray Gomez, who is another RB kind of player, with a Jeff Beckish kind of sound. Not that well known. By that time Harvey was dropping secular music out of his vocablulary and we didn't get far. But life goes on.

Not for Roy though. There is some unresolved controversy with his surviving wife over how he actually died. She attempted to investigate the possibility that his death was the result of police brutality, made to look like a suicide. Phil Carson ties some of it together in his book. Apparently there wasn't enough evidence or money to carry on with it, and he wasn't a big enough "name" for the media to jump on it.

It is sad. I feel like he was a long lost brother to me.

quack