GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

As I re-read my post I can see that it might convey a hint of elitism.

This is entirely the fault of my communication skills. (Of which I'm not "in the know")

My intent was to communicate, without personal advocacy, that there are elites in every field, and that their efforts are, by and large, unappreciated. This is understandable, because no sane person would lay awake at night wondering if they should play a Locrian or a Super-Locrian scale over the turnaround in Giant Steps.

Any snobbery was unintentional.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still stuck in the 60's (and early 70's). I'd rather listen to James Taylor, Jackson Browne or Paul Simon than anything I've heard on my daughters' radios.

Guess I'm an old fogy. When I pick up my guitar, I usually start off playing something by James Taylor or Paul Simon. Great acoustic guitar players (along with Jorma Kaukonen) and wonderful tune-smiths. I used to kid around and say that those 2 taught me how to play guitar, because all I did (pre-TWI) was listen to their records over and over again and try to do what they were doing. No such think as downloading tab back then.

I will always love the Beatles. John was my favorite. I used to think I was the only person in TWI who wept bitterly when he was killed almost 22 years ago. I always try to remember to light a candle every December 8th. Our NPR station here usually does a great tribute, too.

Paul is wonderful - I realized just recently that he is truly a happy guy. It's natural - real. Not an act. You don't write a songs "When I'm 64" or "Ob-la-da Ob-la-da" if your a pessimest.

Kaisersushiverbalsoze84 did me a great favor a little over a year ago and turned me on to the folk circuit world via Christine Lavin. She's been around since the mid 80's, great voice, great acoustic guitar, great lyrics. She's what I would have wanted to be had TWI not come along. She's wonderful, funny, bright, talented...

There's a whole world of folk music out there that has been mostly ignored by record companies. The Indigo Girls were the closest to being a little famous, but not for long. There's also Julie Gold, Nancy Griffith, The Roche Sisters, Four Bitchin' Babes and the late great Dave Van Ronk. Lots more I haven't had time to explore.

Here are the lyrics from Christine's latest album titled "I Was In Love with a Difficult Man". The song is called "Wind Chimes"...

Wind Chimes

by Christine Lavin

This island is so beautiful this must be paradise

the hotel is lovely, the staff is super nice

my room has a terrace that overlooks the sea

the sun is bouncing on the water - lucky,lucky me

I close my eyes for a minute in the distance I hear

the whispering of wind chimes so far and yet so near

the sound perfumes the air, the ocean sighs below

a perfect moment here on earth I don?t want to let it go

wind chimes

floating on the breeze

wind chimes

wafting through the trees

wind chimes

the sound of angels cloud dancing

wind chimes

there is nothing as entrancing

I'm swimming in the ocean, I'm lying on the beach

I'm reading a good thick book, I'm eating a peach

I'm walking on the shoreline, I'm picking up pink shells

the whole time somewhere out there is that the sound of tiny bells?

No, it's wind chimes

floating on the breeze

wind chimes

wind chimes

the sound of angels . . . ballet dancing

wind chimes

there is nothing as enchanting

I eat my dinner on the terrace, watch the burning sun

extinguished by the ocean, evening has begun

I turn down the blankets, climb into my feather bed

but something?s keeping me awake, is it deep thoughts in my head?

No, it?s . . .

wind chimes

floating on the breeze

wind chimes

wind chimes

the sound of angels . . . polka dancing

wind chimes

once I thought were so entrancing

I close all the windows but that tinkling sound comes through

I put a pillow over my head I put in earplugs, too

I open up the minibar - drink tiny vodka, tiny gin

but nothing helps I?m trapped here with the incessant din of

wind chimes

clanging on the breeze

wind chimes

annoying all the trees

wind chimes

a sound I once thought life enhancing

wind chimes

angels Irish stepdancing

Too much of a good thing is too much, simply that.

At times like this I'm glad I travel with a baseball bat

Now I'm knocking down the wind chimes within a square mile of this place

Now I'm going back to bed with a smile on my face

Crickets

cricking in the night

crickets

cricking with all their might

crickets

a dull yet monstrous roar

crickets

a sound that makes me long for

Wind chimes

floating on the breeze

wind chimes

killing all the trees

wind chimes

the sound of angels . . . belly dancing

wind chimes

there is nothing more entrancing than

wind chimes

(the sound of the wind chimes gets louder and louder at each chorus... the crickets, well... you'll have to hear it )

Hope R. color>size>face>

"Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now" - Stephen Stills

Oh... and Mozart's music is the closest thing to what I believe God would write...

If there is a heaven, and I end up there, he's one of the first people I want to meet.

Hope R. color>size>face>

"Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now" - Stephen Stills

Kathy: There are instruments that are fairly idiot-proof (not that I've risen much above "idiot" musically, myself) that actually sound quite nice, given some limitations. The ones I've had success with are:

Autoharp - It's not just that goofy thing your elementary school teacher tried to teach music with. For a pure harmony instrument, it has all the others beat hands down for ease of use. It doesn't get any easier than one-fingered chords. Plus, if you hold it against your chest when you play it (Appalachian style/"hugging the harp") you can practice at very low sound levels, especially if you rest your head on the upper part of the sound board--bone conduction provides all the volume you need. They're not all that expensive--I've gotten all three of mine off of eBay. The downside is that it has 36(!) strings, all of which must be tuned from time to time. It's not hard to do, but it is tedious. Experts can even pick melodies on them--do a web search for Bryan Bowers MP3s to hear some amazing stuff.

Bowed Psaltery - For a melody-only instrument, this one is hard to beat. It sounds sort of like a violin because of the bow, but distinct from it. The idea behind it is instead of chording 4 strings with your left hand like the violin family, you simply put 30 pre-tuned strings in a triangle and bow each one separately between the anchor pins! It's laid out similar to a piano, all the white-key notes on one side, all the black-keys on the other. (Most have a note guide running along the pins so you know which note is which.) You can be up and playing in 5 minutes. The downside is that with a single bow, only one note can be played at a time--no chords. Plus, fast note changes like arpeggios are difficult, although using a bow in each hand can alleviate that in some instances. You also have to tune a lot of strings, so get a good one that will stay in tune! (Mine is a handmade Unicorn Strings model.) My wife and grandson love to play with this one.

Mountain Dulcimer and Strumstick - The mountain dulcimer (not to be confused with hammer dulcimer) is sort of a mix of instruments. It's a lap instrument, shaped like an hourglass or a teardrop. It has either a single or double melody string and two drone strings, commonly tuned a fifth and an octave lower. You fret the melody string, either with a small stick/reed (the "noter") or your finger, and strum all the strings at once. It's a diatonic instrument, so it's meant to be played in a single key (the key of D, in this case). The upside to that is that any note you play will harmonize with the drone strings. You can't play a wrong note. The downside is that some songs are therefore unplayable, because there's no way to make some notes. It's like having a piano with only white keys. That's why it looks like some frets are missing--they are. You can play an F#, but not an F, for example. As long as you stick to songs in your dulcimer's key, you're set. It's a very popular instrument in the South because of its ease of play and folk-sound appeal. They're inexpensive, easy to tune (four strings max, usually) and hard to screw up. The Strumstick is the exact same thing, except it's strung upside down and played like a small guitar.

Of course, starting with one musical instrument can lead to others if you aren't careful! I don't know what I'm going to try next, but the mandolin springs to mind, since it's supposedly the easiest chromatic (any note playable) stringed instrument, and it's slightly more portable than an autoharp... We'll see. I might even get around to the guitar someday, but I doubt it.

God bless!

Zix

Great post! Very well explained!

I'm not a jazz nut, but do enjoy a mild jazz sound. Nothing too fusion-like for me thanks.

But, what I love about jazz is it's influence on music. You can take a like you said 'vanilla' tune and make it the most lovely piece by just adding some jazz influence. For me it then becomes a work of art.

I see this happen in so many different genres of music.

It seems to me the minute the musician starts dabbling in this jazz sound, (he/she can be a country singer, folk, rock, etc..) their music is embellished somehow. It takes on a new flavour. It is what actually attracts me to their music.

I find sometimes when a musician hits the radio waves, they have a over-polished, packaged sound. As they mature, and if they have true talent, this jazz sound will start to develop, and that's when I can start to appreciate their sound. I loved Steely Dan and later on when they split up, Donald Fagen did some mighty fine works.

Thanks Yana. I hope this wasn't too 'ethereal' like.

'til the next time...

[This message was edited by A la prochaine on December 05, 2002 at 21:09.]

I heard about Woodstock while hanging at a store called Joynt Venture on Brady Street in Milwaukee.

(Yep-it sold everything from rolling papers to bongs, to hookah's)

Called my bestest friend and we started to make plans. Packed our backpacks and hitched a ride to Chicago, (We thought it was Woodstock Ill!) Got to Illinois and then figured out it was Woodstock NY. We had planned for about 2 or 3 weeks to be gone, but it was actually a month!

Others who had made the same error took us most of the rest of the way. I remember standing on the highway with a sign that said WOODSTOCK stuck to my guitar case!

I remember more of the trip there and back than I do the concert itself. The music was 'around' I did more hanging out with the people! Smoked lots of fine, fine weed, and never went hungry the whole month I was gone! Jammed with tons of people, and went swimming every day. No pics of me that I can find in the documentary, I would have been easy to find as I had 4 feet of hair!

My second Rock was more like Woodstock, '78 I think. (faaaaaar less mud!).

I was young and thin! Had a great time, absolutely no regrets about the whole thing. I did lots of hitchhiking. Met great people!

My kids think it is awesome that I was at Woodstock!

(me too!)

I'll be a hippie till I die!

Music--

Have always loved music with close harmony.

NSync-not just because they are fine looking young men,(drool, pant, yes, I'm old but not dead!) but they have their thumb into every pie imaginable when it comes to their craft. Joey is performing on Broadway! While most of their stuff can be called 'bubblegum' and it appeals to

the younger set, they are very professional! Refreshing to see their dedication!

I looooveee smooth jazz.

James Taylor

Carly Simon

Toto-(me too Firebee!)

New Age

Celtic

Bagpipe, (yep!)

Yes

Santana

Chicago

Enya

Loreena McKennitt

Clannad

This is the short list!

I saw a young fellow named Josh Grobin on Ally McBeal, and downloaded a bunch of his stuff. Voice like an angel's would be!

My acid test for music is if I get goose bumps when I hear it, I look for more!

The list is virtually endless.

My son listens to everything from New Age to rap to classics, Mozart right now.

Life without music would be no life at all!

Kay

Kay1952

Chatty and Ted and Socks,

I just wanted to take a moment here on your wonderful music thread and welcome a new poster who has come on board.

I saw the name logged on as a new poster and thought it was an appropriate name for this thread! KEYNOTE!

What do you guys think?

Maybe KEYNOTE will post here soon

'til the next time...

I wanted to go to Woodstock so bad! I was about 13 when it happened. Thinking of it inspired me to listen to Best of Cream. Sunshine of Your Love is on right now!

My first Rock was 1973 (I'm in the video). I was 16 at the time and the very first performer I saw there was TED FERRELL! Ted, you are so great! What a wonderful heart you have. Thank you so much for your wonderful posts here and thanks CK for starting it all!

Much love

ohbehave

Kay, Thanks for coming back and posting, real fun!!!!!

My French friend, So do you know this new poster named KEYNOTE? Do tell, do tell.

ohbehave, You have the coolest post name in gs. Wish I had thought of it, but then heck guess my name suits me to a T. As eyes look to the left to see the woman don't know how to stop. In fact one night while chatting with that French girl noted above on AIM, she goes "hey question for you, I saw your number of posts, is that a problem?". Thanks for posting, and glad to get to know you.

Till late,

Kathy

Still having way too much fun for one person to be allowed.

Louis Armstrong

WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD

(George Weiss / Bob Thiele)

I see trees of green, red roses too

I see them bloom for me and you

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

I see skies of blue and clouds of white

The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night

The colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky

Are also on the faces of people going by

I see friends shakin' hands, sayin' "How do you do?"

They're really saying "I love you"

I hear babies cryin', I watch them grow

They'll learn much more than I'll ever know

Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Oh yeah

ATLANTIS

The continent of Atlantis was an island

Which lay before the great flood

In the area we now call the Atlantic Ocean.

So great an area of land,

That from her western shores

Those beautiful sailors journeyed

To the South and the North Americas with ease,

In their ships with painted sails.

To them East Africa was a neighbour,

Across a short strait of sea miles.

The great Egyptian age is

But a remnant of The Atlantian culture.

The antediluvian kings colonised the world

All the Gods who play in the mythological dramas

In all legends from all lands were from far Atlantis.

Knowing her fate,

Atlantis sent out ships to all corners of the Earth.

On board were the Twelve:

The poet, the physician, The farmer, the scientist,

The magician and the other so-called Gods of our legends.

Though Gods they were -

And as the elders of our time choose to remain blind

Let us rejoice

And let us sing

And dance and ring in the new Hail Atlantis!

Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be,

Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be.

Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be.

My antediluvian baby, oh yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah,

I wanna see you some day

My antediluvian baby, oh yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah,

My antediluvian baby,

My antediluvian baby, I love you, girl,

Girl, I wanna see you some day.

My antediluvian baby, oh yeah

I wanna see you some day, oh My antediluvian baby.

My antediluvian baby, I wanna see you

My antediluvian baby, gotta tell me where she gone

I wanna see you some day Wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up,

oh yeah Oh club club, down down, yeah

My antediluvian baby, oh yeah yeah yeah yeah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DONOVAN

There is another gem mine life of observation...

Rok On

TSRTS

[This message was edited by TheSongRemainsTheSame on December 05, 2002 at 17:18.]

Wynton Marsalis gives a loose definition of jazz, it's been used before in different forms to define what "jazz" is.

1) rooted in the blues

2) incorporates improvisation

3) has melodic and harmonic depth

The feeling seems to be that jazz can and should include many more elements too, but these will inevitably appear in the mix. I'd add "it swings" to that list, too. Not just a pulse but a rhythm that ebbs and flows. I like a good, solid beat, but I also like variety.

There are so many different forms and sounds, it would be impossible to fence it in, in fact it seems that historically jazz has grown by allowing people the opportunity to experiment and stretch.

The improvisation point is a strong one, I think it moves the players towards personalizing the music. In essence, "recreating" from what's already been written. To do it well requires thought and committment to the moment.

Music being what it is, certain parts of the vocabulary are going to become established and "definitive" for certain genres and forms that come out of different cultures. Jazz is rich with basic forms that I think give it the kind of flavor that A la Prochaine is talking about. Once a musician starts to move in to them, it can open the door to further development. (Steely Dan is a great example. Fagan and Becker both have done some great stuff. Their first album was full of high end rock and roll and they really developed a lot of stuff over the years.)

When jazz gets slavish, by rote, it gets a little boring regardless of the instruments or beat behind it. It can still be fun, though, either way, if some of the basic elements are there.

---------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

'Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay' (sung at the top of my voice - like Frank Zappa's song Montana)

Posting I am ... but I've been here for some time now along with ALP. We've been having a ball and healing up quite nicely thanks to y'all.

First, I want to thank John & Hope Richeson for their great posts and John - that letter to RFR - whew - for me it's what really opened my eyes

Hope - Mozart is the Man, my fave - Symphony No. 39 in E flat major (must have a good orchestra recording - Chicago Symphony, can't get much better) ... you know there is only one or two instances of scratched out changes on his original manuscripts. He'd compose the whole thing in his head and then just write it down.

Symphony No. 40 (G minor) is also great. There is one passage where the whole orchestra plays in unison each of the 12 semi-tones of the scale before one is repeated. Mozart starts and ends up exactly where he wants to. Music critics have said, 'That's where this symphony falls apart' ... idiots.

Chatty, thanks for starting this thread - it's been so great !!! Music is a big part of my life; always has been, always will be. My kids are all taking music lessons AND because they want to. And by the way, I love Clapton. Have his Greatest Hits. I can still hear his early Cream in my head, In a White Room ... Ginger Baker, man I was in high school when that album came out.

Ted Ferrell - how's the knee. Love your posts. Great to see you on GS, we are the richer. Can't wait to hear more. Don't miss the Way Orchestra although we did some interesting things way back when. I've been waiting for my first post so I can actually take my axe out of the case: so by the time this post hits GS, it'll be breathing fresh air.

Socks, nice to be here with you. I've enjoyed your insight on this thread and others. I work with computers as well. We'll talk.

You posters are all so great - so articulate, so much to read. I?ve laughed, cried, got angry, got hurt and thought to the point of pain - I'm dying here, I can't keep up, tired all the time: job, wife, family, running around in the van, cleaning (who's got time for that), etc. Still looking for the balance.

Wynton Marsalis - I just love the guy. He's the best. I remember when I first heard him speak on the Ken Burns Jazz series, I thought, this guy's not saying anything (my way brain), but then I started tuning into what he was saying. He's got a very unique style of expressing himself, says many things that seem impossible to say in words. Did a nice album with his dad on his Standard Time series, Volume 3 - The Resolution of Romance. A lot of standard songs everyone knows with a classy touch. Nice to play when the lights are low and there is a bottle of wine flowing. And you know, it must have blessed his dad so much to do that together with his son.

Bye for now - talk to you again. Keep this music thread pumping out music.

KN

... things are seldom what they seem ...

[This message was edited by Keynote on December 06, 2002 at 22:59.]

Keynote,

Welcome!!!!!

I am thrilled you chose to post your first post in this thread.

Your wonderful wife speaks so highly of you in our AIM chatting, and by your first post, well can sure see some of the reason for that.

So fun, thanks so much for posting here, you are a great addition to this thread.

Kathy

Greetings, Keynote. Welcome!

Mozart and Marsalis would be an interesting collaboration, hey?

Mozart - I recently bought a used VHS of "Amadeus". I always liked that movie a lot. Have you seen it? If so, what did you think of the the way Tom Hulce did him? I thought it was really entertaining. F. Abraham's did a cool job on Salieri. Good movie.

Nicoli Paganini is a classical guy I picked up on several years ago. He's popular with speedster style guitarists, metal shredders. That's not my thing really but I found his story and music pretty wild. The Caprices of course (learned bits and pieces, never mastered any of it) but I like his Violin Concerto No. 4 in D minor

and the Moto Perpetuo. Got 'em on a cd set titled "The Best of Paginini" of all things.

Know much about him? I haven't been able to decide if he was just a wild man, showboat, or what. Quite a player, that's for sure.

Catchya'll later!

-------------------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

Loved the Tubes.

We're white punks on dope

Mom & Dad went to Hollywood

Hang myself if I get enough rope

Can't clean up - tho I know I should

White punks on dope...

of course, I can maybe help you now, by replacing it with their:

I was a punk before you were a punk

I was a punk before you

You want some action?

I'll put your *ss in traction.

I was a punk before you were a punk

I was a punk before you!

It's probably a good thing all my albums are tucked away in northern WI. (All I have here are CD's, which are taking over my office LOL!)

You don't have to thank me - am glad to help you out there

Had thought of The Tubes just last week. Of course now, it's Da Yoopers playing on the radio doing Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer... Slight culture change, eh?

Are you a Lou Reed fan too? I used to play his stuff every day for hours... good ol' 70's anyways...