GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

Hi Socks!

Yes, Mozart & Marsalis would be an interesting collaboration. Marsalis can play the classics better than most.

I enjoyed "Amadeus" as well. Thought Tom Hulce did a great job, but Mozart probably was not that "geeky". The storyline is a bit off ... no clash with Salieri but I enjoyed it just the same. Especially liked the part when the royalty complained about there being too many notes, and Mozart's response was that there was just the right number of notes.

Paganini was a wild man! - wine & women. He was a master on the violin. Popular with the ladies - he was getting laid all the time.

I went to the Montreal International Violin competition in '72 or '73 with my sister, a classical cellist. It was unbelievable! Run every year - alternating years, violin & piano. At one point, the competitors had to come out and play their choice of three of the Paganini Caprices (I think there are 9). Naturally, we heard the same ones over & over but they were played so differently. And these musicians were 18 to 24 years old. They were brilliant! I'll never forget that. The year we went, a Russian guy won - I think he was 21. I remember thinking, WOW, did you hear that. My sister and I were turning to each other, staring wide-eyed. It was very different compared to a concert because when the performers came out you thought OK, lets see how this person plays this; does he/she really nail it better than the rest - felt like a one of the judges at times.

One day we plan to go to the Montreal Jazz Festival. Maybe we can go together.

Thanks for posting.

KN

PS - Have you seen the movie "The Red Violin"? Very good, very intriguing - Samuel L. Jackson.

... things are seldom what they seem ...

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Socks, ah yes, Paganini - the guitar shredders hero. He was just a shredder years ahead of his time!

Its interesting if you listen to Stravinsky's -what's it called, some thing with fire in it. There's one section that sounds exactly like Metallica. I was amazed. An industrial metal sound from the 19th century.

I think some of those ideas have been floating around for centuries and Metallica captured it. (Not we're getting into Plato here and his theory of ideas and the mind of God).

So, Socks, can you play Paganini? If so, I'll come take some lessons from you.

I think the longest running thread on the forums is that weird one about the 7th corps (sorry 7th Corps, I try to make heads or tails of it????). Anyhow, they are on page 8. Not sure about the ones in archive.

So Chatty, you are well on your way here!

You go girl.

And adding these 'filler' posts sure doesn't hurt either.

'til the next time...

quote:
Originally posted by Keynote:

Symphony No. 41 (G minor) is also great. There is one passage where the whole orchestra plays in unison each of the 12 semi-tones of the scale before one is repeated. Mozart starts and ends up exactly where he wants to. Music critics have said, 'That's where this symphony falls apart' ... idiots.

Keynote: Hi! I think you've got the wrong symphony. Mozart only wrote two symphonies in minor keys, both in G Minor. Number 25 was used as the opening theme to "Amadeus", and the other one is number 40.

Symphony 41 is the "Jupiter" Symphony in C Major.

Okay, while drinking my tomato soup had to peek.

Pirate1974, That is encouraging, haha. I don't know if I would want to be the longest thread here anyway.

Does anyone remember what this thread started out about?

Real thankful no one has decided to move it yet, but I think we have talked bunches about twi in it, and think more of that is on the way as well.

Ted, may I take advantage of something? I am playing around at writing some music, may I send the words to you when I get some things together?

Kathy

Music.

Music. . . . .. Yes I like music. That is a totally ambiguous comment, isn?t it?! Anyway, I?ll digress - or maybe regress for a moment in time down memory lane. . . . .

Growing up, other members of my family were rather musically inclined. . .from various musical instruments to voice. I developed an appreciation for music, although today my preferences are not necessarily congruent with those closest to me.

I still like some of the old twi music. There, I said it!

Don?t worry, I still love to hear old stuff like: Led Zepplin, the Who, Moody Blues, CSN(Y), Jethro Tull, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Spooky Tooth, Seals and Crofts, . . . . .

Some of that old twi music stuff really relaxes me. I used to do my homework and studying with it playing in the background. I guess that is one of the things music can do. Some of the stuff that comes to mind are songs by ?Living Waters?; yes, Hope, I still like those oldies off of ?My Soul Doth Magnify?! Even when I was still in twi and the ?newer music? was in vogue, I?d often rather listen to some old PDSTRO , PVD, or Good Seed when the opportunity arose. To me, some of the newer stuff sounded ? what?s a good word. . ?cloned?.? Anyway, that is just my opinion.

Oh man, I can recall first getting involved with twi and getting the three album set by Joyful Noise (you know, Volumes 1, 2, & 3). I can still hear the song that started: ?God Bless You, It?s nice to see you and Welcome to our Show!? The song ?Sandals in the Sky? was a real hoot!

Then the tape titled ?Rockin? at the Rock? (ROA-76) with the sound of the motorcycle revving up. When I listened to that tape, I sometimes would say to myself, ?yeah, i was there and remember hearing that when it happened!!? Yeah, rock on ?Tuffy McDuffy? - wonder how ?Tuffy? is feeling today - LOL!!

Oh man, now I?m remembering the group ?Agape.? I can still remember ROA-76 (or was it77 - dang CRS) and listening one night to David Bailey and another guy singing songs at the Doulos Dennis Root Beer Saloon!? I think Jaime Louis(?) was the host that night ?

Now please don?t be saying - ?how in the heck are you remembering all this stuff?? It?s just that some stuff just sticks in my head.

Anyone remember an album by some Scottish Believers - I just remember it had something like the letters G RA on the cover. It was a little different; I think i liked the accents. Picked that up at a family camp in 1980.

Then, fast forward thru ?New Horizons,? ?The Victors,? ?Singing Ladies? and whatever else.

Well, as I like music. Throw in a little Beach Boys, too, for fun. Anyone remember the Beach Boys version of the song ?Louie, Louie?? Cutesy, fun version of that song, but have yet to find a radio station that has it and can play it - suppose I?ll have to go and get the album it came out on.

Anyway, still living and listening to what i like.

Per

Keynote, I'd love to hit the Montral Jazz Festival! If I win the lottery anytime soon, we'll ALL go!

That competition sounds cool. All that dedication, and the pressure of performing. It's amazing what can be done.

Nver seen the Red Violin, have to check it out.

So the Salieri connection wasn't so strong, I wondered. It was a good story telling device, a littl "dramatic license" or a lot. I love the opening where he's talking to the priest and playing little snippets of his tunes and the priest doesn't recognize any of them. Then he hits a Mozart line and the priest starts humming it, "Yes, yes! I know that! I didn't know you wrote that!" Salieri's look is worth a 1,000 words. It's a deep look into pride, envy and how it can consume a person. Cool flick.

So how's your instrument these days? Playing at all?

----------------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

Hi Sunesis, no, I'm no Paginini player. Studied up on some of it for awhile though, couple of the Caprices, and I whacked away at Moto Perpetuo for awhile. Got some nice bits and pieces though that I use, it helped me to try some new stuff and get a little different approach. I busted my middle left finger several years ago, and when it healed up I decided to start taking a broader approach to get back to form. Ever check out the OLGA site? I think it's down now, bet you've been there. Ran across tabs for days, and a Judy Letostak who had a whole series of Paganini and Malmsteen related exercises. They're cool, if you want them I can dig 'em up and send them to you.

I never mastered the sweep technique, just in small snips here and there. Worked with a guy at one time who had it down cold. Just knocked me out seeing it up close. He was a Malmsteen freak, gave me a few tips, I've tried to incorporate it but it's hard if you don't keep on it. I just add a little here, little there. What kind of stuff do you work on?

The Pagster was a killer player alright, definitely a rock mentality, fire, passion. Sounds like he lived the rock-star life too. I've read people rioted once after a concert he did, they got so excited. I can see that, he must have fried their ears! What's a good rock concert if you haven't kicked over a chair or two, right?

Is that The Fire Bird, of Stravinsky? Metallica is a great band. Good stuff.

--------------------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

Kathy I would be more than happy to help you by putting music to your lyrics. Heck who knows we might even come up with the next big HIT ha! ha! so send what you will by email.

Socks man I sure enjoy your comments and knowledge on this thread.John you still de! best.

All of you who post here I read each and every line and am somewhat amazed of how much all of you know and how music plays such a vital role in your lives past and present.So let's keep this jam rolling

Will try to post something later on tonight if I have time

Take care all you gs music buffs

Ted F.

A la prochaine, You are pretty good at keeping things moving here while I am away. I think you should be the hostess of this club, what ya think? And ain?t it fun having your hubby on board?

Peruser, Hey thanks for joining us. I sure do love those early morning AIM chats with ya. I take it you got home from work safely despite the weather.

Seals and Crofts use to be a favorite of mine. They were part of the Bahia faith, still am I think. Anyway hubby and I were involved with that faith for awhile also. If ya went to one of S&C?s concerts they would ask folks if they wanted to hang out after the concert. Then they would sit up on stage and chat about their faith. Quite a few folks would remain and listen, think moreso just to hear them talking about their lives and all.

Ted, Now that would be more fun than probably allowed, my writing something you thought worth putting to music. But I will send my stuff to you, thanks for saying okay. Just a tad pushy ain?t I?

Kathy

Keynote,

Thank you for your kind words.

I recently bought the complete set of Mozart Symphonies on 12 CD's. The two conductors are Sir Neville Marriner, who also conducted the orchestra for "Amadeus", and Josef Krips, who many people think is THEEEE most accurate Mozart conductor. I always have preferred The Academy of St. Martins in the Fields versions of Mozart than any other orchestra I have heard.

I have 4 bios on Mozart and I agree; while "Amadeus" is a wonderful movie (my favorite), Mozart was not as one dimensional as he was portrayed in the film. Tom Hulce was brilliant and, IMO, deserved the Academy Award as much as F. Murray Abraham did.

I recently bought the extended DVD edition. The on-screen commentary by Milos Forman and Peter Shaffer is wonderful. I already had the VHS version, but this was well worth buying twice!

I am slowly trying to collect his complete works. There are a few out there, but they are very expensive. I'm shooting for the complete piano concertos next time around.

Heck, I've still got a lot of symphonies to listen to. But I keep playing my favorites, the "Jupiter" (41), the "Linz" (36) and Symphony 39 in E flat major.... ahhhhhh.

And, believe it or not, I will never, ever get sick of "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik". When my kids were babies and couldn't sleep, I would play the andante for them and they'd be out in 5 minutes.

I can also listen to the overtures to "The Magic Flute" or "Le nozzi di Figaro" over and over again. There is no opera here in Tampa - and I'd be hard-pressed to find someone to go with me if there was one.

Like I said, Mozart is one of the first people I want to meet when and if I get to heaven! I want to give him a big hug and thank him for his music.

Hope R. color>size>face>

"Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now" - Stephen Stills

P.S.

When Mozart was very ill, only days before death, he told Constanze that he believed he had been poisoned with a slow Italian poison and that Salieri had been the one who poisoned him.

In letters to his father, his sister and a friend, he said he believed that Salieri had been against him since he arrived in Vienna.

In 1829, in an interview with his younger son, he told the interviewer that his father was the originator of that accusation, though the did not believe it himself.

After he died, a collegue of the physicians who treated Mozart wrote letters describing Mozart's death in order to refute the rumors that Mozart had been poisoned by Salieri.

Though Shaffer's play and Forman's film contain an awful lot of speculation, it is all based on fact. So even though "Amadeus" is an exaggerated biography of Mozart - especially the personalities of the characters, there is a lot of factual information woven into the script.

Hope R. color>size>face>

"Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now" - Stephen Stills

Zixar,

Yes you are right - the G-minor symphony is No. 40, my mistake. Thanks, I'll fix my post. Isn't it great to be wrong and it's OK?

I did not know that only two of Mozart's symphonies were in minor keys.

Socks, you should read Hope's last post on Mozart. She seems to have it nailed (four bio's) ... I on the other hand do not know what I am talking about.

I also like the beginning of "Amadeus" where the priest is identifying only the Mozart musical themes - they are so pure.

My trombone is out and getting fresh air but not from my lungs yet ... it will happen soon. Looking for a small group to play with.

Yes, it is Stravinsky's Fire Bird. Another Stravinsky that I really like is the Pulcinella Suite written in the style of Pergolesi, nice music.

Hope, I did not know that ... I thought I read somewhere that the Salieri thing was a bunch of bunk ... maybe I did.

Neville Mariner ... WOW, he's good, you have got some music there. I have the last 6 symphonies by Berlin Philharmonic (Herbert von Karajan), it was inexpensive but it all can be very costly like you say. The Magic Flute, I love it. Ingmar Bergman filmed a version of The Magic Flute years ago, I think it was sung in Swedish.

Hope, I will go to the Opera with you!

Thanks for posting.

Love, KN

... things are seldom what they seem ...

Thanks for the invite to come on board as the Music Thread Hostess. I think we could do a better job if we collaborated. What do you think?

We could work shifts, daytime show, nighttime show.

I have always been real good in a support role. I could be like a co-anchor.

But actually, come to think of it, I think you are doing an excellent job on your own. And I will come in once in awhile to just fill-in when you're out of town, or have a gig elsewhere, or your cable goes!

Love ya' sis!

What do you think?

I'm waiting for Ted actually, he's the guy running this thing don't you think?

'til the next time...

A la prochaine,

Sorry I missed your IM to me, was away from the house.

And thanks for your kind words. This really has been a joy to come here and see what new has been added. This classical stuff is all learning for me. I bought my son Bach and Mozart when he was a child but really know nothing about the history or music. Just know I love the sounds.

I think you and I are getting so linked that you will just know when and what to say, you have become such a joy to my life, especially outside of public view where we can really have a wild chat.

Well gotta get back to things in the house.

And I am sure Ted will be back with more.

Kathy

Thank you Kathy for the warm welcome! You mentioned looking to the left at the number of posts you've made (never noticed this little info thingy before) and I thought"wow, girlfriend likes to chat! I will try to talk, er uh, type faster. Hope your having a wonderful weekend!

ohbehave

Thanks for the tip, Zixar. Maybe Santa will toss that under the tree, if I give him a hint!

That is good info, Hope. I seem to have a reference somewhere in the back of my head (need to make more room for hair back there, though) about what Keynote said of Salieri not having quite the intense relationship with Mozart that the movie portrays. That helps a lot.

Linda Z - that's a sweeeet guitar! It's HERE! in case anyone wants to check it out, or do an ebay search for "Claption guitar" and it's right at the top! Cool axe!

LZ - you mentioned Les Paul a ways back. Mr. Paul didn't actually invent the electric guitar, I'm grabbing the mem cells here - it was actually "invented" by a guy who worked for Gibson I thiiiink, Lloyd Lear/Loar? in 1923. I'm going to check around my books and get that nailed down.

Les Paul is widely considered to be the "father" if not technically the inventor of electric guitars however, as he really put together the first solid body ele. guitar that solved a lot of problems with pickups and intonation. He'd been working on pickup and body design ideas since the 30's and was known for his work throughout the 40's and on.

Some controversy exists over whether Leo Fender or Les Paul came up with a usable design first. Both produced instruments that have set a standard. From what I've read they had concurrent efforts along the same lines for many years, but Les Paul was a few years ahead. I've read Leo Fender actually conferred with Les Paul around 1950 while Paul lived in Los Angeles and they discussed ide . So they don't appear to have been adversaries. Fender had a specific sound he was looking for - clear, clean, and simliar to the pedal steel. Les Paul was interested in a technically superior instrument as well as sound. One of Les's first "official" solid bodies was put together when he was working with Epiphone guitars and he took their neck and attached it to a piece of wood and called it "The Log". He began working with his pickups, and the rest is history.

Leo Fender is on record as going to market first with his design for the Broadcaster, a forerunner of the Telecaster. He had the prototypes completed for both in 1949. Les Paul got his out with Gibson in 1952, if I remember the year right. Les had definitely been working on design issues for many years previous though and personally played his own instruments he'd made for years prior to marketing any of them. As the "idea man", he was at the top as far as I'm concerned, and he was an awesome player too.

That's kind of vague, but that's the idea I think. More than we wanted to know? But there's really a looooot more of course...

--------------------