GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

quote:
Andrés Segovia (1893-1987) is considered to be the father of the modern classical guitar movement by most modern scholars ...

The above is quoted from this web site http://www.classicalguitar.net/artists/segovia/

John R.,

Here are a couple more for your folder:

Andrés Segovia and George Benson

Glad to see we are all still having fun on this music thread!!!

Hey, just noticed I started page 7. What do you think Chatty?

Ted, come back!!!

... things are seldom what they seem ...

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunesis, that's intersting about your picking down strokes naturally. So the "sweep" was the normal way for you to play. It took me awhile to get the feel for that, I'd worked so long at the up/down stroke and getting that coordinated. Never really got it fluid except for little parts here and there. That's cool.

I'm left handed, so that was a challenge initially. I was 10 or so and on the borrowed guitar/chords on binder paper program. I'd play them left handed, and then the guy would come for his guitar and wince at the chords which were all wrong of course. I finally figured it out, but switched, it was just too much of a hassle. So for me, it was bass-ackwards with my hands and it felt comfortable to pick UP. but not down. For awhile it felt like the guitar was upside down, which it was for me. I drove my teachers nuts because I could never decide which hand to write with. This may explain a lot of things.

I'm pretty locked in to the up/down pattern now, although I find whatever gets the music right is the "right" way to do it. Whatever works!

I have a bunch of Eric Johnsons's music. Love Cliffs of Dover, and the stuff off Venus Isle. "SRV" is a really nice tune on that, with Jimmy Ray Vaughn doing a guest shot solo. Saw Eric with Steve Vai (YIKES!) and Joe Satriani a few years ago on their 3G tour. Kenny Wayne Shepherd opened. Eric's tone was deLICious! He had a lot going on, pedals, stuff. Handled it very well, played a 335 for most of the songs. Flawless, passionate.

Joe Satriani is in my top 10 folder. I really like his playing and sound, the tunes he writes. If I had to take 2 albums to a desert album they might be B.B.'s "Live at the Regal" and Joe's "Flying in a Blue Dream", and an mp3 of "Krush of Love" snuck in on the side. Satch is probably my #1 overall favorite guitarist, harmonically, tonally, the whole deal.

Buuuuuut, Robben Ford! Met him and played around San Francisco years ago around 1970 or so when the band I was in worked some of the same clubs he was doing. His brother was playing harp and he was a young guy. Played just exquisitely, totally "on". He was a pretty down to earth and humble guy. We were all Christians and we "rapped the Word" with him a little and I remember him being so "mellow", nodding and smiling and pulling his hair back, just going "yeah! that's cool, yeah". He seemed like he had a great attitude and outlook on life, very "together" for such a young guy. It was over 30 years ago, but at the time we all were knocked out by what he was playing and the fact that it was to club audiences of like, 20.

On the other hand, saw the Billboard Music Awards tonight. Michael Jackson looked like he must be getting frequent flier miles from his plastic surgeon. Dunno....

Sack time!

----------------------------------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

Socksy -

I'm a lefty, too! But I couldn't play the guitar left-handed any more than I could write right-handed. Guess I'm fairly ambidextrous... the only things I really use my left hand for are writing and using a fork.

My "crutch" is a thumb-pick. When I first met Richie D., he played with one. I always loved to finger pick, but only used my thumb, and index and middle fingers because the other two were braced on the bottom of the sound hole to hold my hand in place. I asked Richie to lend me one to see if I could use it. It was like magic! Once I got the thumb pick, I could position my hand without needing to brace it and get the use out of all my fingers for picking.

Only problem is that now if I don't have one with me, it's really awkward to play. I always carry one or two in my purse because I never know when I'm going to wander into Sam Ash! Now I need to remember to carry around a capo!

Last week I was there and they had an Eric Clapton Martin hanging on the wall. Ahhhh - what a NICE guitar! Had that one been there before I bought my Taylor, it would have been a hard choice to make.

Hope R. color>size>face>

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Yes Kathy did email me indeed and asked say don't you think it's about time for you to post something turkey Man what a slave driver she is ha! ha! just kidding Kath

I have read what all of you have posted here and you all sure know your music.Keynote glad to see you adding to this thread. When it comes to classical music I lean more toward the romantic composers but more about that later.

The middle sixties and beyond had some fine tunes and artists.Needless to say The Beatles kept cranking out hit after hit but that Motown sound was headin' south out of Detroit on Interstse 75 The Supremes.The Temptations Four Tops were at the top of the list in 1965.out of that year there was a song that remains one of my favorites to this day,Youv've Lost That Lovin' Feeling by The Righteous Brothers,When people first heard that tune most thought they were black cause no white

boys can sing like that. As 1966 rolled in it was prety much more of the same but along came Frank Sinatra with his block buster hit Strangers In The Night and even his daughter Nancy got in the act with These Boots Are Made for Walkin'

1967 comes in strong wuth The Stones and The Betles were stiil taking charge and a song that Aretha Franklin busted into the top ten with Respect and that arrangement still cooks.

1968 was kind of a strange brew with songs hitting the charts by Herb Alpert and a haunting instrumental Love Is Blue Ottis Redding was found on The Dock Of The Bay As The Doors were on the pay phone doing Hello I Love You Beatles sang Hey Jude

while Marvin Gaye told us He Heard It Through The Grapevine.Simon and Garfunkel were sleepin' with Mrs.Robinson and there was a Nasville song writer named Tom T,Hall who reallly told it like it is and had Jeanie C.Riley reveal the whole sorid story about The Harper Valley PTA

1969 was much the same as 68 The Stones were out with Honky Tonk Women and there was a new age ush

ushered in It was The Age Of Aquarius,,The Achers asked for more Sugar Sugar and Peter Paul and Mary took us on a trip with a John Denver classic Leavin' On A Jet Plane. and Elvis was back with us doing Susipicious Minda.

And so we say so long sixties you brought us some dam good songs and music The Beatles were the fab four of Rock and Roll and Detroit gave us soull All in all it was a superb decade for pop music that added new sounds songs and creative ideas to the culture of our good ole'USA

Next stop the seventies and that is gonna be a fine excurison down memory lane as The Beat Goes On

Thank You All For The Chance To Share

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 10, 2002 at 18:13.]

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 10, 2002 at 18:25.]

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 10, 2002 at 23:40.]

Imagine

Imagine there's no heaven,

It's easy if you try,

No hell below us,

Above us only sky,

Imagine all the people

living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,

It isnt hard to do,

Nothing to kill or die for,

No religion too,

Imagine all the people

living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,

I wonder if you can,

No need for greed or hunger,

A brotherhood of man,

Imagine all the people

Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,

but Im not the only one,

I hope some day you'll join us,

And the world will live as one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writen by: John Lennon

© Bag productions inc.

[This message was edited by TheSongRemainsTheSame on December 10, 2002 at 20:27.]

Who do you think among the truly gifted artists of the Rock era will be remembered for their work a hundred years from now?

I think one of the candidates would be Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. It's rare that someone is both innovative and successful for an extended period.

Who really pushed the Rock envelope successfully, in your opinion?

Hey Hope, us lefties gotta stick together, after all everybody else is doing things backwards!

We've talked about that thumb picking before. You do it very well. It's not my thing, I tried some John Pearse thumb picks and finger picks awhile back, a buddy that plays banjo got me messing with them. I'm dangerous using them, as in not good. It's hard to get a good sound with them, I can't just seem to get the knack. I know a few "rolls" and that's about it. I just stick to the heavy Fender flats and nobody gets hurt.

---------------------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

Zix, I'd agree on Brian Wilson. He's done some very nice music. It's funny how The Beach Boys were pulling from the Chuck Berry sound same time as the Stones and Beatles, but they did it totally different. He really developed over the years. I love the sound of "Don't Worry Baby" and even tunes like "Surfer Girl" sets a mood that's unique with the voices and instruments. "In My Room" is a deep tune..."Lie awake and pray" is one of those lines that captures the heart of just about every young person at one time or another.

Behind the scenes, I'd think Phil Spector will probably be remembered for all the work he did in the studio. George Martin too, the "5th Beatle" as he's been called. I don't think they would have advanced as far as they did without his arranging and studio expertise. The shear volume of material both those bands recorded really set the bar for rock artists striving to write and record their own music.

-------------------------

ChattyKathy, you're sweet. I'm still pondering Ted's question way back up there somewhere and especially how it related to your first post. I'm slow, still pondering...

be back...

------------------------

A few of the seventies albums:

A fe Eat A Peach - The Allman Brothers Band

Aladdin Sane - David Bowie

Candy-O - The Cars

London Calling - The Clash

Into The Purple Valley - Ry Cooder

Welcome To My Nightmare - Alice Cooper

B**ches Brew - Miles Davis

Self-Portrait - Bob Dylan

Hotel California - The Eagles

Brain Salad Surgery - Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Ooh La La - The Faces

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Cosmic Slop - Funkadelic

Cats Under the Stars - The Jerry Garcia Band

The Parkerilla - Graham Parker and the Rumor

American Beauty - The Grateful Dead

The Idiot - Iggy Pop

Look Sharp! - Joe Jackson

Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin

Sailin' Shoes - Little Feat

One Step Beyond - Madness

The Joker - The Steve Miller Band

Hejira - Joni Mitchell

Weasels Ripped My Flesh - The Mothers of Invention

Honey - The Ohio Players

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Live Peace in Toronto 1969 - The Plastic Ono Band

Metal Box - Public Image Ltd.

The Ramones - The Ramones

The Slider - T. Rex

Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones

Country Life - Roxy Music

Abraxas - Santana

Never Mind The Bollocks... Here's The Sex Pistols - The Sex Pistols

Playing Possum - Carly Simon

There's A Riot Goin' On - Sly and the Family Stone

Horses - Patti Smith

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen

Never A Dull Moment - Rod Stewart

Breakfast In America - Supertramp

Fear of Music - Talking Heads

The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys - Traffic

Catch a Fire - The Wailers

Who's Next - The Who

Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants - Stevie Wonder

Relayer - Yes

I'm not any sort of authority on guitarists, but my personal favorites are Wes Montgomery and Merle Travis. Somebody mentioned George Benson and it seems to me his style comes directly from what Wes did.

Maybe ol' Merle Travis was more of a writer than guitarist, since his "Westphalia Waltz", "Nine Pound Hammer" and "Sixteen Tons" and so many. many others are all time classics.

A blues guitar player I always thought was great was John Lee Hooker. IMHO his music was much more honest and less "commercial" than that of B.B. King.

One of my former neighbors (he died in 1997 but lived in Timbo, Arkansas about 15 miles from me), Jimmy Driftwood (wrote the songs "Battle of New Orleans" and "Tennessee Stud" among many others) used to have jam sessions at his place and I used to go and take in the music. I met Comer "Moon" Mullins there, the national thumbpicking grand champeen in some contest in Nashville a few years back, and he WORSHIPS Merle Travis...even owns one of his old guitars. Merle Travis' son was also a regular there as well as Willie and Suzie (Willies daughter) Nelson.

The prevailing music here in the Ozarks is referred to as "folk" or "old tyme" or just "string band". It isn't exactly country or bluegrass and kinda defies categorization. If anything, it most closely resembles Celtic folk music such as done by bands like The Chieftains, Altan or The House Band...only with a southern twang. Many of the tunes are the same but with different titles...for example "Irish Washerwoman" is called "Ducks Eyeball" etc.

So what was my post about? I forgot.

Oh yeah, guitar players.

I vote for Merle, Wes and ol' John Lee Hooker.

csa_3rdnat.gif

DEO VINDICE!!

Ron G.

My mentioning of Pat Martino prompted me to find his website. It has been years since I really listened to him and I wanted to catch up.

This guy is amazing. Had an aneurism and when he awoke from the resultant surgery had little to no memory.

Relearned the guitar from listening to his prior recordings.

I adjure you (by Jesus whom Paul preacheth) to check out his website. (www.patmartino.com)

Ron, Merle Travis is incredible. He is one of the fathers of fingerpicking. Any acoustic guitarist must learn Travis picking. I remember an older guitar whiz showing me the pattern when I was 11 or 12. Once I nailed it, you can now do all sorts of picking with all right hand fingers working independently. Most people don't realize Travis picking is just a certain right hand pattern. Difficult at first, but you can really fly once you get it. Also, Doc Watson is another incredible finger picker.

I also listened to a lot of jug band music in my formative years - anyone remember Jim Kweskin and the Jug Band?

Wow, that must have been great meeting all of those folks. Do any of them have CDs that are representative of that style of music?

Merle Travis

Biographical Notes

Travis was the son of a tobacco farmer, but by the time he was four-years-old the family had moved to Ebenezer, Kentucky, and his father was working in the mines. Travis's father often remarked, ?Another day older and deeper in debt?, a phrase his son used in Sixteen Tons. His father played the banjo, but Travis preferred the guitar.

He played with several bands, becoming one of the first to appreciate that a guitar could be a lead instrument, and he had success as a solo artist for the newly-formed Capitol Records. He co-wrote Capitol's first million-seller, Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette with Tex Williams, who recorded it. Burl Ives and Josh White were spearheading a craze for folk music, so Capitol producer, Lee Gillette, asked Travis for a 78 rpm album set of Kentucky folk songs. ?I don't know any? said Travis. ?Then write some? was the reply.

Travis himself was also enjoying a country hit with a revival of Wildwood Flower with Hank Thompson, and he won acclaim for his portrayal of a young GI in the 1954 film FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, in which he sang Re-enlistment Blues. Travis's WALKIN? THE STRINGS is a highly-regarded album of acoustic guitar solos. His style influenced Doc Watson, who called his son after him, and Chet Atkins, who did the same with his daughter.

In 1948 he devised a solid-body electric guitar, which was built for him by Paul Bigsby and developed by Leo Fender. ?I got the idea from a steel guitar? he said, ?I wanted the same sustainability of notes, and I came up with a solid-body electric guitar with the keys all on one side.?

A posthumous album of blues songs played on 12-string guitar, ROUGH, ROWDY AND BLUE, included a tune from his mentor, Mose Rager, Merry Christmas, Pretty Baby. His friend and fellow guitarist, Joe Maphis, wrote a tribute Me And Ol Merle?, which concluded, ?We liked good whiskey and we loved the pretty girls, And we loved them guitars-Me and Ol? Merle.?

quote:
Originally posted by ChattyKathy:

How about Elton John, The Stones, The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Ray Charles, Eric Clapton, Socks, My Dad.

Never having heard Socks or your Dad, I can't say on them.

Elton John, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, yeah, I think they've made music that will still be recognized in a hundred years.

Springsteen, Clapton, and Ray Charles, I don't think so. They might be relegated to historical one-hit-wonders, perhaps, modern Vivaldis, Pachelbels, Telemanns, but not Mozarts. Not to take anything away from them, I just don't think they have a large enough body of instantly-recognizable songs to keep them out of a footnote in the far future. Of course, music students will fancy them for their work, but I just don't see much more, in my opinion.

Zixar,

Good points, more realistic I am sure. For me a matter of taste I guess, which does not make it a point of fact.

Socks rocks the world on its basis. And my Dad is just incredible, can not read a word of music but can hear any instrument one time and pick it up and play it like a pro. He is just incredible. We did not get along, but I have memories of his music that play in my head still today (he is still alive and playing his heart out).

Kathy

OK, here are my two cents...

You mentioned The Archies and 'Sugar, Sugar'.

In 1969, at the ripe age of 9 years old, I purchased my very first 33 1/2 rpm album. It was The Archies - with singers such as Archie on guitar, Jug-Head on the drums, Veronica and Betty on vocals. I was a boppin' pre-teen!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane TED!

'til the next time...