GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'll agree with you on the Paul Anka tune and the Bobby Goldsboro one as well (I particularily loved his hairdo!). But, 'Sugar Sugar' - life doesn't get much sweeter than that!

'til the next time...

Hey, just thought of a couple more... 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon around the Old Oak Tree' and 'Knock Three Times (on the ceiling if you want me...), Oh no it's stuck in my head now, AHHHHH

[This message was edited by A la prochaine on December 12, 2002 at 6:51.]

La Prochaine, I understand, its your childhood.

O.k., I'll try not to knock Sugar Sugar. There was a music show back then, not Hullabaloo, but one of them and they'd do a skit to whatever song was No. 1. Well Sugar Sugar had been No. 1 for weeks. The funniest skit they did (remember, this was during the Black Panthers in the '60s), is they had a choir of Black Panthers, the black berets, military jackets, the whole outfit, standing in what looked like a church choir, sing Sugar Sugar with a soulful gospel beat. It was a riot. These tough guys swaying to Sugar Sugar.

The other all time bubblegum pop song has to be "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy I've Got Love in my Tummy" by the 1910 Fruitgum Company. Recently, in an interview the guy who wrote and sang it, said, yes, the meaning is literal.

Go ahead you can knock 'Sugar Sugar' all you want. I am not offended! It is sickeningly 'sweet' song I agree.

1969 for some reason was the year music started having a real influence in my life. I don't know why? Many songs stuck with me that year!

Laughing by The Guess Who

Sugar Shack by ?

Sweet Carolina (I think) by Neil Diamond

Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison

Every time I hear these tunes I can see myself like it was yesterday, playing on some beach, camping with the family. Wierd but neat!

'til the next time...

Sunesis - I have some of Jim Kweskin and the Jug Band's stuff in my collection - used to get to listen to it more than I do lately, but I appreciate the reminder and will pull it out to enjoy today! I think I remember talking with Ron G. about music and that he also knows of their music...

And Doc Watson - oh man - awesome, absolutely awesome picker! I had originally included him in my list of performers I especially enjoyed at the Bluegrass Festival I posted earlier, but I decided to shorten it. Was such a shame when his son Merle died. Loved their shows! Have some of Doc's stuff in the collection, as well - Tennessee Stud comes immediately to mind...

I just love to hear exciting pickin! I keep telling myself that one day I will learn to play myself, but so far, I haven't taken the time.

Ala - As a young girl, I used to listen to my a.m. radio when I went to bed and my stepdad would come turn it off before he went to bed - most the time I was still awake and pretending to be asleep, so as to be allowed to continue listening... Have always had a passion for music. I remember that same time in music as yo mentioned.

Remember Build Me Up Buttercup? I've sang that to every baby I've ever rocked!

Mostly I think music is relaxing, but I also love it really loud sometimes. Music is so diverse! I have something playing almost 24/7 - I don't watch much TV.

Time to go post on the Favorite Christmas music thread ...

Sunesis -

Was it "Laugh-In" or "Shindig"?

Gawd, I hated bubble gum music. And it's funny... so much of what we wrote and performed in Way Prod was SO bubble-gummy! ("It's not by works, Maggie Muggins..."; "Just keep it simple, that's how I am..."; "My country tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, o say can you see what's goin' on?", etc.)

Yuck.

Hope R. color>size>face>

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

I think I'm seeing a trend here! One reason I had trouble learning to play guitar was that my right hand didn't seem to be able to catch on to the pickin' and strummin' part. I do lots of things right-handed: throw a softball, bowl, etc., but the fine-motor skills required for quitar pickin' escaped me. Maybe it was really that I lacked the patience to practice long enough to get the hang of it.

I wasn't totally without musical training growing up, though. From the age of about 9 years old till I was 11 or 12, I played the...

Hmmmmm! I'm not telling. I think I'll make it a contest. Whoever guesses what instrument I played as a child will win my duplicate copy (vinyl) of America Awakes.

I'm serious about the prize, but I won't send it till after the holiday madness has passed.

Happy guessing!

Linda

Guess we had better get to rolling down the highway to the decade of the seventies and though It's been almost thirty three years ago that we welcomed in the year 1970,sometimes it seems like only yesterday.Before we travel on I would like to relate an incident that happened in 1971 you all might get a kick from hearing

1971 I was playing at The Holiday Inn Richmond In The night before had been our closing night so I was in the lounge taking out the equipment when I noticed a couple that were walking around sorta casing the place out.The fellow walks over to me and asks so you must be part of the band that just finished here.I said yes and he tells me his name and introduces the lady that is with him,told me they were both from NYC.We talked for a bit than he asked me what kind of material do they go for in this room ? I replied oh! some top forty,little country,some old standards and lots of rock and roll The guy gets this worried look on his face and says we only do orignals and some broadway show tunes and that's all we do

I assured him all would be OK and thought the people would like them , I wished both good luck and so long as I headed for my car to go east on Interstae 70 towards Columbus Oh.our next gig.

Few days later some friends from Richmond In.come to see me and informs me that the two that followed you in got fired the second night said the people did not care for them so the ownwer pays off the contract and sends'em trucking back to NY.

Three years later in 1974 I was listening to a top forty staion and for the first time heard a song called Mandy. Yep! folks it was tha singer pianist that had got his contract canceled in Ricmond In. three years earlier none other than Barry Manilow and the girl singer that was with him was Melissa Manchester By this time I was involved with twi,Way Prod and my dear friends Joyful Noise so I paid it no mind and forgot about it, Ten years or so ago I read in a mag. an interview with Manilow and he told that story about being canned.The only difference was he thought he was in Richmond Va,Poor Barry does not the diff,between Va.and In.

Should any of you have contact with Satori please send this to him cause I know how he just LOVES Barry Manilow ha! ha! I can just hear him now say .After hearing this my respect for the hoosier state increased ten fold cause those folks know talent

and that either You've Got It or You Ain't Got It. Here's to ya! Satori.

Will be back later and we will talk about those seventies

Love To All

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 13, 2002 at 12:52.]

That reminds me of something that happened in Ft. Worth many years ago. There was a club that began in the 50's as a beatnik coffeehouse and slowly changed with the times into kind of an amateur rock and roll bar and strip joint. Musicians would just climb out of the audience and perform and ocassionally girls would just come from the audience and do a strip dance. It was called "The Cellar" and one was opened in Dallas and another in Houston, too.

Anyway, from time to time, they would hire bands to play and two local guys came and auditioned...two brothers. Thay were hired (I think) but soon canned because the audience didn't like them and booed them off the stage. Maybe they were booed off during the audition...I don't recall, now.

Maybe it was because of their very odd appearance and the way they dressed. They were both albino and although didn't they make it at The Cellar, Edgar and Johnny Winter had a decent recording career for a while.

The Cellar has been gone now for a very long time, but some of us still have fond memories of that club downtown that never did get a liquor license and just sold setups and espresso.

A few locals who made it big got their start at The Cellar. Dallas boy Steven Stills started out there as did Kenney Rogers and The First Edition. I guess the best known were these guys with their hair dyed blue who called themselves "The Neurotic Sheep"...later changed their name to ZZ TOP.

There were quite a few others, too. One was the guy who did "Song Sung Blue" but I forget his name offhand.

Now I wonder if YOU or anyone else here ever did a gig at The Cellar...

csa_3rdnat.gif

DEO VINDICE!!

Ron G.

OOPS!! Yup...you're right!!

The song I MEANT was "Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song".

He also did a parody on "Song Sung Blue" that can't be repeated here. It was only performed live and might give some folks cardiac fibrilations, as were many of ol' David Allen Coes songs.

Sorry about that. It's this pesky altzheimers, ya know.

csa_3rdnat.gif

DEO VINDICE!!

Ron G.

Say Ron that's good things to know.I heard about that place and recall seeing some write ups on it sorta like The Hugry I and Purple Onion of San Farancisco where such notebales as Steve Martin got his start,Steve was a five string banjo player and folk singer and would add his witt between his songs that turned out to be his forte in life and I still like his movie The Jerk stil laugh and quote some of those lines he used

Kathy I have this great collection of Manilow records that I would be more than happy to donate to use in your torture chamber ha! ha

You all have mentioned a few of the seventies hits and I think we are just about to get on a roll with that decade.

Ted F.

How many guesses do I get?

My first guess is the recorder. If one per contestant is all that's allowed, that's my guess.

I started to post my second guess, but just in case my first one is wrong and there's some hidden rule like a limit of one guess per post, I sure don't want to risk giving away my second chance at winning (assuming, of course, that there is more than one guess per contestant allowed...)

IhopeIwinIhopeIwinIhopeIwinIhopeIwinIhopeIwinIhopeIwin