GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did pop in Cliffs CD and got all the words down on paper. Man, that stuff is poetry in motion.

Remember America Awakes, 1976 or so.

Brians song: Sons of God

I've got half the song down from memory; but have forgotten the last verses.

Can you remember the words?

I use to print out that song as a poem and give it to Christians I met. Very powerful.

At the end of the poem, I put:

Author:

A Follower of the Way,The Lord Jesus Christ

No hype intended, but I still believe that many of these men and women were, like the OT describes, Prophets of music, God inspired seers,

chief musicians, directors of temple worship--In NT terms: A GIFT OF GOD TO THE BODY.

[This message was edited by Lightside on December 25, 2002 at 7:51.]

What timing..I recieved a gift in the mail yesterday from a friend in DC. Brian Bliss's Cd "We are Sons of God and Electrified". I played it about three times last night, and again this morn..What a combination of ministering music to my heart..Very precious..Inside it says a combination of 30 yrs of music and his children accompany him..wow..

Sons Of God

chorus

We are sons od God with power

Raise your head and say it loud

The righteousness of God is ours

Of our sonship we are proud

We're brought back from the devils power

Set apart by Crist

And we're rconciling men to God

Seving them the bread of life

verse one

We are sons of God shining as a light

Casting out the darkness

Holding forth the Word of life

Fearless as we stand upon the promiises of God

Proclaming the wondeful works of him

Evey morning noon and night

verse two

Standing before our father's throne

Bodily without shame

Making our requests made known

To God in His Son's name

Bold because we know we're righteous

Wer're not afaraid of man

Knowing that in the book of life

God has put our names

verse three

Never doubting our ability

We stand and know we're free

Knowing we're more than conquerors

We claim each victory

We're God's perfect masterpiece

We're complete in Christ

Believing working mircales

Casting mountains to the sea

Words And Music by Brian Bliss © 1975

There you go my friend you have all the words now to Brians great song Son's Of God

As I set here typing a few of the songs from old Way Prod days sometimes there will be tear or two drop on my keyboard.All of Joyful Noise and many many others from Way Prod are family to me and I love each one dearly and am so very very proud of them all

This Christmas night I thank God I got to be a part of their life and a part of yours.

Merry Christmas to All And To All A Goodnight

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 24, 2002 at 22:58.]

In The Palm of your Hand

(written by Ron Block, sung by Alison Krauss)

If I could have the world and all it owns,

A thousand kingdoms, a thousand thrones.

If all the earth were mine to own,

With wealth my only goal.

I'd spend my gold on selfish things

Without the love that your life brings.

Just a little bit more is all I'd need,

'Til life was torn from me.

Chorus

I'd rather be in the palm of your hand,

Though rich or poor I may be.

Faith can see right through the circumstance,

Sees the forest inspite of the trees.

Your grace provides for me.

If I should walk the streets, no place to sleep,

No faith in promises you keep.

I'd have no way to buy my bread,

With the Bible for my head.

But, if I trust the one who died for me,

Who shed his blood to set me free.

If I live my life to trust in you,

Your grace will see me through.

Chorus

I'd rather be in the palm of your hand,

Though rich or poor I may be.

Faith can see right through the circumstance,

Sees the forest inspite of the trees.

Your grace provides for me.

Merry Christmas my beloved Greasespotters!

'til the next time...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to All!!!!!!!

Thanks Lightside and Ted, I will get an e-mail off to you Light sometime today. But, for anyone curious do a google search on Cliff A. (use his full name) and you will find some great stuff.

Socks is so right! Those WP folks that are no longer in the bounds of TWI are doing some great things with their lives! Those that have continued in music are free to write and perform without being stuck to using way jargon and slang, they don?t have to use words like household and prevailing.

Special thanks to Chatty for starting this thread and to her underpaid assistant A La, I know it sounds like and award acceptance speech ......... but we all have a wonderful reward here with this thread!!!!!!!!!!

Grizzy COLOR>SIZE>

About a year and a half before I went to my first twig, I was on a merchant ship sailing over to the Mediterraenean. I had dropped out of highschool and joined the Merchant Marine, and at sixteen years old, I had begun a life of high adventure. After our ship, an old freighter (400 feet long) was done making stops in Spain, Turkey, Portugal and Malta, we left the Med to go down to the west African coast. But not far outside of the Straits of Gibralter, we had a small engineroom fire which messed up alot of electrical equipment. Due to this, our orders from the company changed, and we headed back to the States. "Rats I thought, we shoulda gone back to Spain! Lots of girls there loved me! Well, my money anyway, they were, well, working girls...

But orders were to head to Baltimore. About halfway across the Atlantic, we ran into what I refer to as a "near perfect storm". The waves weren't 100 feet high like described in the book, but rather, "only" 75 feet high. This was February, and the WNA (Winter North Atlantic) is known for it's wickedness. Along with the bad weather, we had beaucoups engine problems, and due to these, we were only able to make a top speed of three knots against the seas. After three days straight of tossing like a literal chip on the sea, we then had a hole smashed into the side of the ship way down in the engine room (in the shaft alley for you nautical buffs) where a wave had hit one of the inboard suction lines for saltwater cooling and blew the entire pump off the bulkhead. The result of this of course was that the sea was blasting into the shaft alley at a tremendous rate. In that I was the "wiper" (engine room gopher boy), I was heavily involved in the efforts to set up pumps, open various valves, and try to stanch the flow which proved futile. All the while, we were pitching madly with the bow of the ship going completely underwater, and the stern coming so far out of the water that the 10 ft diameter propeller also came completely out of the water spinning in almost unchecked RPMs until it "ka chunk chunk chunked" back into the water for another bite. All of the crew except for the black gang (engine crew) were standing by for a possible abandon ship and launching of the life boats. They all had their life jackets on. That really gave me lots of comfort. The black gang would have abandoned ship too, but we were down in the hole working. I couldn't imagine being out there in an open lifeboat. We woulda gone down for sure. We finally got the flow under control, but due to the amount of water in the shaft alley (where the propeller shaft leaves the ship), we were terribly stern heavy and were riding higher than normal in the forward end of the ship which put us in dire straits as far as the forward/aft motion was concerned. This made the bow come even higher out of the water than "normal", and when the bow came crashing down, the whole superstructure of the ship would shake like a big sheet of tin going "whop whop whop". When I first heard it and felt it I asked an old salt with whom I worked "what that noise was" and he told me that it was the ship bending and that ships had been known to "break in two ya know"....

It went that way for another six days, with very little sleep gained, and very little comfort to my fearful sixteen year old heart. One old guy from Brooklyn said to me; "Wiper (my name was "Wiper" it seemed), I ain't nevah seen it dis bad befoah, an I been to sea for ovah twenty five yeahs". Oh great, I thought, and this was my first ship and the old guys are scared! I figured God was gonna take me because of all of the sin I commited in Barcelona. When I spent time in my crews quarters trying to "get some sleep" while tied in my bunk, I remember looking at the large locker on my wall and wondering if I should get in there and try to pray like my "Good News For Modern Man" Bible said I should do. I mean, it was kinda like a closet, except it was poorly bolted to the bulkhead (wall) and I thought it would just be my luck that I would be in it praying and it would bust loose and fall down and I would be trapped in there when the ship went down. So, I said; "Naa"...Meanwhile, when my port hole went under water for the thousandth time, it finally cracked and water started spraying in and soaking my deck everytime it went under. Great way to get a peaceful nights rest...But I prayed to God (well, begged God) a whole lot anyway in that when I had asked our captain (when he came to inspect our engine room damage) if the waves were really seventy five feet high, he replied gravely; "Yes they are Wiper, and some are taller, and, do you know how to pray"? I told him "not really sir", and he said that "I had better learn". Oh great I thought, we have "nothing but a prayer". But,

apparently the prayers worked, and we finally limped into Bermuda, and most of the crew of the S.S. Merrimack got really drunk that first night. In fact, every bar we went to gave us a round on the house because they had heard of the trouble we'd been in and had been hoping we'd make it in...

SO, when I saw Brian Bliss sit down at a beautiful grand Piano in his white tux with tails at Ohio State University for WOW training in 1976 and start singing "Captain Of Salvation" I busted into tears and got on my knees and sobbed my eyes out with my face buried in my arms that were resting on back of some girls seat in front of me. I mean, I had already been really blessed with "Sons Of God" that Brian started with, but when he played that song it just went straight to my heart and those words with his voice and that tune were like, wow, just unexplaineable I guess. So MUCH to be thsankful for, like my LIFE. I think I remember some of those lyrics..

Like a ship that's far from home,

drifting aimlessly alone, storm

tossed by the troubles of this world...

And the Captain of Salvation, like

a lighthouse in the night...

Ya know, at that time, I loved The Way Ministry, it was a beautiful and wonderful thing and I believe that God Almighty had a lot to do with it, human frailties and all. As far as I'm concerned, "It hadda be God"...I had been working on a 100 foot riverboat/restaurant when a sweet gal named Ann Marie O'Riley, a WOW, came to work there as a cocktail waitress. I had been living in the wheelhouse, and the night before, I had prayed to God that He send somebody to tell me about Jesus Christ and that "I would go to their church, I promise". And that's who he sent the very next day, a WOW. An I was at a Twig the next night. I met Denny Thornberry there and I thought he was the coolest dude I ever met. Well, he is one of the coolest dudes I ever met. He taught the Bible to me for two hours before Twig even started, and there was nothin wrong with that..

Anyhoo, I wish I knew the rest of those words to Captain Of Salvation. Anybody? Ted?

And Brian Bliss, thanks for the memory, that really was unforgettable...

[This message was edited by Buck on December 25, 2002 at 23:28.]

Daddy's Arms

verse one

Sometimes my days can be so long

Everything I do seems to turn out wrong

Looked all around ended up staring at the ground

I just can't find no help

Can't find no answer's in my self

Well it seem's that me

Was all I was thinkig about

Thought's they turned

To worries fears and doubt

That old devil try's to break my heart

Tell's me I'm no good

But instead of giving up

Like he thought I would

chorus

I climbed back into Daddy's arm's

Started all over again

It's the only way this broken heart could mend

Well He loves my problems right out of me

Makes my blind eye's able to see

And I finaly rembembered

God has never forgotten me

vers two

Well I was doing all the right things

For all the wrong reasons

I only pleased myself

But now it's God I'm pleasin'

I know that He could see through me

But yet He saw me through

I'm gonna' live for Him in everything I do

repeat chorus

Words and Music by Dave Lutz © 1982

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 25, 2002 at 13:59.]

Caption Of Salvation

verse one

Like a ship so far from home

Drifting aimlessly alone

Storm tossed by the trouble's of this world

Driven by the torrents and the mutiny of sin

There I alone alone a sinking man

chorus one

Than the captain of salvation

Like a lighthouse in the night

Guided me into the harbor of God's love

He gave me shelter from the tempest

He's the prince of peaceful sea's

Anchored in the harbor of God's love

verse two

With the cargo of deliverance

And the compass of God's Word

Setting sail in search for others lost at sea

Some will sink but some will swim

Abd we'll rescue them for Him

In the saftey of The Rock

In the harbor of God's love

chorus two

Than the captain of salvation

Guided them into the harbor of God's love

He gave them shelter from the tempest

He's the prince of peaceful sea'a

Anchored in the harbor of God/s love

chorus three

Yes the captain of salvation

He'll guide you into the harbor of God's love

He'll give you shelter from the tempest

He's the prince of peaceful sea's

Fuul sail upon the ocean of God's love

Full sail opon the ocean of God's love

Words and Music by Brian Bliss © 1982

Thank you Ted, very much. That was really nice of you. And thanks for all of the history too. I think I will save it all to a file in my computer.

Also, I have a funny story to tell you about an Alaskan Indian girl that I brought to the Rock one year who was really digging you singing some song or another and your knee went out on you. it wasn't that your knee went out that was funny of course, but the way she acted was priceless. But, I gotta go for now...

Hi Buck

Long time no see how you doing. Glad to see you came by Kathy's Club This is about the only place I hang out here at gs cause music is about the only thing I know much about and somtimes I'm not to sure of that either ha! ha!

Found the words to Captain Of Salvation and I know Brian would be thrilled to hear the story that you posted. Brian is doing great down in Tn.still pounding the old ivories and singing good as ever or better..

Don't be a stranger come on by anytime and we will have a jam

Take care Buck love you man

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 25, 2002 at 16:02.]

By the way Ted, I e-mailed you a bit a go with my real name and address, and you wrote back, said hi, and also asked about a certain 1st Corps old pal of yours and does he still live up here, and I don't think I ever got back to you. But I haven't seen him yet, Mike Smith that is. But I do plan on giving him a call if I can find his phone number down in the big city. And when I do get in touch with him I will let him know you said howdy...

Buck

Ok that story.

I brought a gal to the Rock from Alaska who had never been out of the state, and who had spent alot of her life in one of the native villages called Angoon which is over by Hoonah, north of Klawock. She was amazed at how huge the Rock was, and was thrilled by all of the good music that she finally got to see live which I had turned her onto via cassette tape the previous year. She was twenty years old at the time. The fire flies also blew her mind, and she had me catching them for her, those and crickets chirping in the bushes which she had never heard bfore either.

One night while I was working camping in the rv section, I was near the what was it, the

"Living Room" tent? Anyway, I was close to that auxillary tent that we used for the big top auditorium overflow when this gal came running out from underneath the tent saying "Buck! Buck! Ted Ferrels been hurt! He was on stage singing and pumping his leg like a sewing machine when his knee or something gave out and he went down like a sack of potatos and we have to pray for him! Come on! We have to pray for Ted Ferrel!"

So, I got her to finally calm down for a minute and asked her to repeat it, and she added that "when Ted went down, the lights on the stage went down and then the TV monitor said; "Pray For Ted", so I ran and came here to get you so we can pray for Ted!" So, we said a quick prayer for ya Ted, and then she and I ran over to the tent and watched on the monitor, and if I remember correctly, Dr Wierwille had prayed for you and you finished the song, and my friend Trish was relieved. She really liked your tunes and of course was really alarmed when your knee or whatever went out.

But man, her pure heartedness was so cool. And, how's the knee?

Oh man, gotta go! The Prime Rib is done and I gotta carve!

Buck yeah knee is fine never gave me any problem before or since.

What Buck is talking about is we were doing a video production at the Rock in 83 and I was on stage doing my thing. And for those of you who have never seen me perform I move around a lot. I get down on my knee's and shake rattle and roll. So here I am doing an up tempo tune and I moved too fast too quickly and my knee gave away and I fall flat on my back in pure agony. It was Craig not VP who comes running up on stage and starts to minister to me for a heart attack. While I am withering there in pain I yelled at Craig it is not my f****** heart you a****** it's my knee. Craig goes Oh! and puts his hands on my knee the good one not the one I had just tore up. So much for revelation huh!

With the help of a couple of guys I hobble back stage and I asked can you wrap this knee with something cause I had one more song to do for video. The only thing that could be found was gray duct tape so they wrapped my leg till I looked like a vent pipe. VP asks me can you go back on stage. I replied yes I am gonna do it. So I go back on but of course this time I am pretty laid back and stand almost still.

It took me about six weeks to get that knee healed up. Don't know if any of you have ever ripped your knee apart but it can be downright painful more so than a broken bone I am told.

Buck yeah! Mike Smith and I stay in touch. He was down here in the lower forty-eight a year or so ago when his son Nathan got married down in Canton Oh. And while Mike was here we spent some good quality time together.

Take care Buck, hope the rib was tasty.

Your Friend And Brother

Ted

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 25, 2002 at 19:52.]

Hey, you've joined our little gig here!

Welcome, and wow what an opener! Your ship story was awesome. I can see how Brian's song would have moved you completely.

Thanks for sharing your heart and soul with us today - 'Christ's Birthday' (whatever TWI may say )

I e-mailed you once or twice. Did you ever receive them?

'til the next time...

Ya nkow, I just went to my hotmail and found nothing but the usual junk mail. You're not selling sex toys or financial aid are you?

Hahah! So, no, I didn't get them. Did you send it to rhino214@hotmail.com ?

Anyway, this is a real nice thread. I love music too, ahve played a bit, and actually did a little "Way Prod" in the corps myself, my how I disliked that term. Also, I was in a little band in Oregon for awhile from '77 to'79. It's so nice to have Ted sharing so much heart and history too...

Ted...

Thank you ever so much for those lyrics! I sure do appreciate you! I didn't get into TWI until '81, so "Daddy's Arms" kinda went with my time there.

Buck...

I guess I read your story about 5 times and even shared it with my 9 yr old son (leaving out some of the parts about Barcelona etc) as it's an inspiration to any who might read it. You write very well. Thank you for that.

Chatty...

Why aint YOUR name on that Certificate?

In a real world and just society, lazy critters eat last.

If any care to feed them.

DEO VINDICE!!

Ron G.

Ron,

After an advanced class weekend of a branch meeting where we each taught from the syllabus this dear man was the last to teach and closed with this "I feel like I'm the socks in this wonderful ensemble of a tuxedo".

He just died a couple weeks ago, still an innie. But HE was the tuxedo. Yall are the ensemble, I just have the wonderful joy of being in the mix to read and learn as we move along.

I don't even make up the socks in this here group.

Kathy

Ok, I'll be checking my hotmail deal. Hope the toy question wasn't too off color. But man, those hotmail adds are obnoxious!

And Ron, thanks. I like to write and have written a number of short stories. I have always wanted to write a book about my first adventure at sea too. Now that I have a cool computer and have honed my typing skills at the GS Cafe, maybe I ought to get after it. Yeah, that was some ordeal. When I see my nearly sixteen year old son today, I shudder to think of him doing anything similar...

Ya know, I play harmonica, and I do it fairly well too. I play the blues, and when hooked up with a good guitarist, I have a great time of it. I also like to play bluegrass and country which is a lot more melodic and "happy" sounding and such. But I do like the get down and dirty blues too. As a harp player, when I was young, I was inspired by an old blind black guy by the name of Sonny Terry who used to play alot with Brownie McGee. They were a duo, but when I first heard Sonny Terry, it was on a solo album, and one of his songs was called "Long John" where he would intermix "whoops and hollers" in between riffs as he played. So, when I was playing here and there in coffee house deals in the Way and such, I had developed a similar ability whenever I did breaks in between verses.

Ya know, I just plain love to play music, but, I found that playing with other people always seemed to be really difficult at times. And even in The Way when we all were supposed to be walking in the love of God, I found that there was alot of clashing that went on between musicians who felt that they really were "on time" or "in tune" or whatever. When I was in the Corps, I was put in a band by the resident "Way Prod" coordinator at Emporia who decided that I needed education in music that was other than bluegrass or blues. Well, I thought, I'm here to learn, no problem. So, this band was composed of a sax player, drummer, guitarist, bass, and me playing a little back up on trumpet with the sax guy, and of course, my harmonicas. I have a wide leather belt that holds eight harps, all of different keys. It's real cool, and has silver conchos on it and my last name engraved across the back. Also in this band, was was a really excellent vocalist gal from New York City who was also very Italian and very "snappy".

Anyhoo, when this band got together for the first time, one of the first things this vocalist gal said in her wonderful New York accident was; "So wadda we gotta have ____ ___ in the band foah? He plays hahmonica. This isn't the blues, or bluegrass or somethin', this band is supposed to be upbeat, New York, Pop!" as she snapped her fingers. Well, at this point I'm thinking; "well, f___ me. I guess I'm just some redneck hick loser. And by the way, I thought we were all in the family of God and members in particular and all, so happened to aal that?

Uh oh folks I gotta go. I have to drive my seventeen year old daughter to the workout gym. She's working on getttin a hard body ya know. Ahhh to be a kid again...will finish these thoughts later