GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

quote:
I guess I'm just some redneck hick loser. And by the way, I thought we were all in the family of God and members in particular and all, so happened to all that?

Buck,

You are a great addition to this thread you redneck hick you. Being this joint is overseen by a Memphis born hick girl you came to the right spot to share your heart. And better no one call us losers in this here thread.

As far as members in particular, well I am of the opinion you have to get out of twi in order to know what that statement means according to God's heart.

This thread has many such members in it, all with heart and soul to impart. And many have been able to pursue their talents more since leaving twi than ever while in. Although I do have to say had it not been my being in twi well I never would have found this place, and yall. So I guess I should thank them for that. Yepper, guess I should.

Kathy

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! bro so you love the blues and man so do I. You mentioned Terry and McGee not many folks know about that duo or have heard their down home blues sound. I still have a couple of their old albums and if you do not have be glad to burn you a CD of what I have.

Outside of Linda Z don't think anyone on gs has ever seen or heard me perform in clubs. In many of my sets I program several blues tunes. I will use an old jazz standard take out the extended chords and replace with all flatted major and minor sevenths and drive the tunes with a heavy kick drum with bass to match. Some that always gets to rocking is a couple of old standard's I have arranged in the blues style Somewhere Over The Rainbow also do a version of Summertime plus the old rock and roll song Kansas City that I do as a slow laid back Memphis Beale Street dirty version something like Stormy Monday guess you could say I ain't no stranger to the blues.

I do not have or do I like having a full band but like doing my thing as a single or with a good all around female singer that is able to sing most anything. With the high tech music programs that I use plus sound modules I can produce most any sound or style of music including the blues.

Buck if you lived close by bet we could have some kick a** jams with you on cross harp. No sir there ain't nuttin' like the blues

Ted F.

PS And Kathy I will be putting some blues chords with the blues beat to some of your lyrics.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 26, 2002 at 12:37.]

Oh yeah, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee. I loved them as a young teen. I also played blues harp for quite a while.

Buck, don't feel band. My last year in residence I was put in charge of the corps dance band. My first year in residence, the dance band we had, had some excellent musicians and our corps (7th) and our elder corps (5th) just gelled and we had a great band.

Anyway, we have our first rehearsal, I listened to the musicians and fired almost all of them. Yes - I really did. Told them they were out. Figured I'd discuss it with H.S. (the Emporia staff way prod. person) in the morning and get some better musicians in the band. Well, HS sought me out long before the next morning, came gunnin' for me, and let me know in no uncertain terms that I would do what she said, and to whip them into shape. So I found everyone the next day, apologized, and we went on to have a kick *** little dance band.

Ted said, "Outside of Linda Z don't think anyone on gs has ever seen or heard me perform in clubs."

*gasp* You gotta be kidding. Well, if that's true, a lot of people are missing out, and I feel like a very lucky duck!!

Ted is Mister V for "Versatile." He can play/sing any kind of music. The first time I saw him perform outside Waydom, I was blown away at his range. Up till then I had him filed in a small twi-music box, but I soon learned that I was soooo wrong.

Ted, you sure have brought back fond memories of that little club in Indian Lake, Ohio. I saw you up in Lima, too, but the place in Indian Lake (wasnt' it an Italian restaurant?) was my kind of cozy little joint.

Well, if anyone ever hears that Ted's going to be playing in a club, go see him, that's all I can say. You won't be disappointed.

Linda Z

Linda thank you for your kind words not sure I deserve them. You are a sweetie.

The name of that club was Anntinos. The place had real good Italian food and was a favorite in the area.

The Lounge I played in was downstairs and on weekends in was wait in line to be seated. Had a great time playing there and did so five nights a week for over a year till I moved to a club in Lima.

Talk with you soon

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 26, 2002 at 14:49.]

I never did get to see you play at a club or for that matter a smaller venue.

I DID however get to listen to your music, and see you perform at many ROA's( the early years) and to this day you remain in my mind's eye.

I can still "see" you with your suit and dark colored glasses, as well as "hear" you belt out the songs with your soul...........

As the kids say.......you 'are da bomb'

Thanks for you and your music

Ok, first of all, Ted, I have to respond to the "you hurt your knee thing": My first response was "Oh my God! I can't believe that Craig did that! But then again, why should I be surprised? Man, that gal from Alaska was so concerned for you and was happy that God had healed you "right there on the spot", and I do remember now that it was Craig who had "healed you" and ot VP...And so, you finished your last song while in great pain then and not after a miraclous healing with all pain gone, so way to go bro! Yo got da cojones...

And Chatty Cathy, yeah, this is a real nice thread and I like coming here. And when that gal from NY made that comment, her husband busted her chops real good, and things did work out. And, amazingly, the sax guy (husband of "Ex 10" actually) and I did a couple of "duo solos" where we played these riffs in two part harmony. It was real neat and a lot of fun. BUt working together was a challenge, and that one gal never did approve of my presence in the band...

Now, Ala Prochaine, the suspense is killing me, but when I go to the hotmail address, there is nuttin dere If we were on LEAD together, I am sure we could reminisce(sp?)...

And yes, Ted, I am sure we could really have a great time playing. I haven't really had the opportunity to play a lot with folks, but when I do, it's been a blast. In fact, I have played in a few bar bands up here where I live in Alaska. I played in one band called "Elvis's Butt" which was kind of the antithesis of a local band called "The Truffles". No one at the Fog Cutter or the Harbor Bar drank any beer when the Truffles played because their fans were enviro greenie type folks, who are, well that's another story, but they don't drink much more than wine and lemon water and stuff and the bars in our tiny northern town wanted a rowdier crowd that would purchase some product once in awhile... So, we came up with "Elvis's Butt", and played blues and people came and drank beer and good times were had by all, including Truffles fans...

The only problem with the name of that band was that when my kids would see me the next morning, they took delight in asking; "So dad, did you have fun playing with Elvis's Butt?-heeheehee I don't know why that name was derived at, but probably to razz the Truffles folks..

[This message was edited by Buck on December 27, 2002 at 9:52.]

I don't recognize those initials. No wait, HS did you say? Now I remember. Yeah, it was a good thing for me to be in that band, but when we finally did do some music in the chapel for the whole campus at a five oclock fellowship, we only did two songs where I "played the wood blocks" the whole time, and the prima dona vocalist did her thing. After that, I was complimented by a number of my buddies with compliments like Hey "Buck" I didn't know you could play sticks! Way to go!"...

Yup, I got 'em and it turns out we are old friends, and, A la Prochaine is married to a Corps bro/friend also. In fact, speaking of music, her husband and myself were in one of those Way Corps marching bands briefly...Hah!

And Chatty, so glad you are having a great time having your son home. My oldest kiddo, my daughter is "leaving the nest in about three weeks, and that will be rough, I think. And where is she going to go? First to finish her senior high school year in the Alaskan village where we just moved from, and then, get this: To a maritime school like her daddy did so that she too can sail the seven seas. Oh, where did I go wrong?

Hey, I just posted on Sudo's thread on 'Tunes'. And a name came up that we have not discussed here on our music thread (I don't think so anyhow). Since we are smack dab in the middle of the 70's decade and TWI music, I think it appropriate to give him an honourable mention.

Dan Moran.

I loved his stuff. The first time I ever heard his music was in 1976. Someone I knew who lived close to Detroit Michigan had one of his albums. It was great! I think Dan was from Detroit originally.

Anyone have any added information?

'til the next time...

Dan was in a seventh Corps band that you probably recall. They were called "Glad Tidings" and they did alot of great stuff. The people in that band besides Dan were Mark Haggerling-piano, Deborah Sleeper (now Olthouse), Vickie Allen, Anna (Ortiz) Cooper, and Anna's husband Paul. I think his name was Paul. He played drums. The gals did the vocal thing, back up and they all sang lead on certain songs. Dan played/plays bass and there must have been another who played guitar on a regular basis also, but I can't remember who.

Their many songs included;

What If God Went on Strike

Brother/Sister

Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

Thessalonica

And, a bunch of others that I thought I would remember when I started this post. I'll have the dig the tape out and listen to it.

I really loved that song by Deborah Sleeper Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus. Always melted my heart when she sang it live. Somewhere along the line, Glad Tidings broke uo and they went different ways. Vickie and Deborah to Branded, Dan Moran to Takit. But when Glad Tidings were together they really were very solid and were a blessing at least to me as well as my wife who was in the Seventh Corps.

As an aside here, a friend of mine, Bob Moser, from Oregon, wanted to make a recording of some songs he wrote, and had contacted Dan Moran down in Los Angeles where Dan has a recording Studio. Bob wanted me to play harmonica, and, get this; he offered to fly me to L.A. to do the recording. This was in 1992 or 93. Needless to say, I was thrilled at the prospect, and flattered to the max, and the recording was made, and it was really a great tape. It's called "In A Moment, By A Miracle", by Bob Moser. This album is not to be confused by Dean Ellenwoods' album "In A Moment".

Ya know, that's the first time I ever did any real real studio work. Dan was real cool about it, and one of the first things we did before we got down to work was to "Go out for some Thai food". Well, Bob is from a rural place in Oregon, and the "L.A. Lifestyle", was neither his nor my lifestyle, and as he and I looked over the menu with Dan and his wife Randi and a couple of other people, he and I decided that the safest thing to order was the "pepper steak" item. But as it is with oriental food, all the plates were passed around for the sake of "sharing the different delicacies", and I have to say that some of the "funguses" and "gelatinous marine life" mixed into the various dishes were kinda weird. Bob and I stuck with the steak. But it was fun for sure. Yep, Dan was really hospitable. His wife and Bob and I went to a little league game to see his boy play, I stayed in the room of "This Little Girl Abigail" (a song Dan had written about his daughter) while she had spent the weekend at a friend's house, and the coffee flowed and the music mixed and it was a great time. Also at Dan's house he had a big old Sunday fellowship and there were a lot of folks there that I had remembered from Way Days. One of the Cushingham guys was there, among others. Dan taught the Bible and it was good. It was an ex-Way gathering by the way.

I jokingly refer to that little escapade as "The L.A. Sessions". I'll say to my wife; "yeah honey, remember when I was down in Southern Cal laying down tracks during the "L.A. Sessions?" Yup, that was my big musical event thus far, well other than playing in the Elvis's Butt Band that is..

On that album, I did play a good bit of harp, and on one solo break, I did some "whoops and hollers" in honor of Sonny Terry. You can probably find that album on the net at a link at "No Dust Covered Bibles". It's mostly a country western kind of a deal...

Well that's it for now, I have to take my daughter to the local exercise gym...

Don Graniero played guitar in "Glad Tidings". Kevin McCave played the sax, and sometimes Doug Coyle. Paul Cooper was Anna's husband and GT's drummer.

Many of them went to the Miami/Broward country area of Florida after graduating the 7th Corps - similar to what "Living Waters" did in NJ after we graduated the 6th.

Socks... d'ya remember who else was in Miami back then - it was around 1979/1980... Robi - you reading this? I know you'll remember.

Hope R. color>size>face>

Life, what is it but a dream? - Lewis Carroll

Ted, my wife would like to know if you remember a song done a LONG time ago in the early days of the ministry. She doesn't know who wrote it or sang it but believes the Title is The Highest of the High. My wife plays guitar and that is one of the song she sings. However, she is wondering about the very beginning lines and wonders if you, Ted, might happen to know the words. She would greatly appreciate it if you could enlighten her, in case she doesn't have it correct.

It is a great song...some of the words.....

like the light on crystal falls, he sheds his love upon us all....that's Jesus Christ, the highest of the high.

So, if you can help out, Ted, thanks a lot.

[This message was edited by Buck on December 28, 2002 at 11:55.]

The Highest of the High

All he ever did was die for me

All he ever did was call my name

You can only sit there and cry for me

But I know my savior remains

CHORUS

And standing great and tall

He was the meekest of them all

That's Jesus Christ, my savior in the sky.

And like a light on crystal falls

He spreads his love on all he calls

That's Jesus Christ, the Highest of the High

Men may talk of love, they talk of (?)changing times(?)

They blindly seek the truth from other men.

But how can countless sinners really make us free

When they themselves fear the lion's den?

CHORUS... and standing great and tall

(Last verse - memory fogs up)... it starts with

Give your heart to Jesus....

I'm pretty sure Kristina Linder from "Selah" wrote this. Socks???? I defer to you, bro.

Hope R. color>size>face>

P.S. Buck - I just emailed someone I know will know all the lyrics. If he emails me back, I will post them again!

Life, what is it but a dream? - Lewis Carroll

Ya know Hope, that was really my wife who wrote that post. For some reason she just wrote it as if it were me. Maybe cause she doesn't post much and is a bit shy. But, she did just write to you and John, so you'll know who she is, and she says thanks for the lyrics! That's a really sweet song, and I love to hear her sing it. And it seems, the words that you wrote are the same, in the beginning of the song that is...

Oh, and how could I forget Kevin McCave, Mr. Sax Man? That Sax man song was a blast..