GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

I hope I'm not being shunned because of Black Sabbath icon_biggrin.gif:D--> !!!!

Tom's Saturday night Bedtime CD Pick: Jeff Beck's Who Else

Excellent instrumentals (what Jeff was always best at)

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

"We...know how cruel the truth often is, and we wonder whether delusion is not more consoling"

Henri Poincare

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first time I've been on this thread since it was a sprat of 150 posts so I haven't read all of it, but a friend gave me a CD which has six different live versions of Grateful Dead's China Cat Sunflower into I know you rider...and I love it.

Those guys had a big stereotype to live up to but they cranked out some good stuff. Anybody hear anything specific about them in TWI? Like possessed, wrong seed, devil worship? Just curious.

chattykathy:

good morning to you.

yes ruth eckerd hall is named after the drug dealers, i mean retailer family.

i met up with and started corresponding with a band a few years ago called Rebel- Now, they are Trick Pony. 5 ACM nominations!

i found it- the concordance that i was talking about was done by beth lowder (color concordance.)

probably not the right thread to say this, but (when has that ever stopped the masterherbalist?) one of the things i had trouble communicating with twi leadership is that those of us who are musicians- music is not something we do, it is something we are.

it took me years to figure out that musician brains are wired differently. (yes, we do have brains-some have been more chemically fried than others). i wake up with music in my head, go through the day with some melody or beat in my mind, and dream musically. i saw on AOL the other day an article "screaming relieves stress", i thought hey, i don't have to scream-i sing.

those who are not musicians, though, are also governed by melody, beat, tone, etc. no one teaches this though. what were those machines that measured bio-rhythms? it's true, that "body clock" you have been told about is the rhythm of your physical being.

Oak,

How in the world could we ever shun the Almighty Oak Tree? I never cared for Sabbath, which is why I really know nothing of the music. But have watched the Osbourne?s and came away thankful for not being them. icon_eek.gif

johniam,

Never heard anything about Grateful Dead while in twi. Do know though not all folks disliked such music, in fact at risk of being unpopular I don?t believe the movement to shy from worldly music began with lcm. He liked such music and didn?t keep it a secret. But like most organizations there is always the anal retentive snot nosed understudying whispering in someone?s ear the evils of thus and thus. Think that is where their attitude on music came about. Of course there will be at least one poster on gs who will disagree with me no doubt. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

masterherbalist,

I agree in part with you on the something we are versus something we do. I think that like any venue in life you have an inner thirst for things that draw you towards it. However even with a natural instinct for such it takes work to be anything in it at all. So in that sense I would say it is still something we do. I lack in voice like others and I imagine some may laugh to watch me dance although it has never stopped me yet. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

As covered in this thread by many before we need to experience various forms of music to know what moves us to establish what we are. And what makes us become peaceful, happy, etc. Music is so darn huge ain?t it.

Kathy:

I agree with you about LCM not starting the ant-secular music thing, but I think there was an ambivalence about "wordly" music by Martindale and other top dogs in TWI.

On the one hand you had Martindale talking about the hard-edged music that he listened to (mainly to have some common ground with his kids if I remember correctly); on the other hand you had teachings about "everything gives off something", and comments going back as far as Wierwille's Advanced Class about successful musicians being possessed, including Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart; on the gripping hand you had local Corps leaders interpreting and applying these "doctrinal" statements in the practical manner that fit with their own view of the bible.

I never saw any real organized effort to eliminate secular music from wayfers' lives, but individuals did from time to time get on the Way Production-only bandwagon.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

"We...know how cruel the truth often is, and we wonder whether delusion is not more consoling"

Henri Poincare

Tom's Bedtime CD Pick for tonight is the self titled premier album by Fine Young Cannibals.

Great cover of Suspicious Minds. Roland Gift had quite the unique voice, but I don't know whatever happened to them.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Henri Poincare

Tomorrow night is open stage night at Duggan's Pub here in Lincoln.

One of the benefits of having Tuesdays off is that I can stay out late and watch the incredibly talented musicians that live in this town.

The focus is on the blues, but country, rock, reggae and whatever else you can think of can be heard.

There's no cover charge and the beer is reasonably priced.

Anytime any of youse are passing by this way, arrange your schedule to get here on a Monday night and we'll do Duggan's icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Henri Poincare

Johniam, never heard much about the Dead while in the Way. They may have been more of an acquired taste, and too "under the radar" since they didn't have much commercial success. (although they made bundles over the years just doing their thing) I know people that sure liked their stuff, though.

Chatty, this comment of yours resonates: "But like most organizations there is always the anal retentive snot nosed understudying whispering in someone?s ear the evils of thus and thus. Think that is where their attitude on music came about." icon_smile.gif:)-->

As advisors to The King, they remind me of poor, wretched Gollum in the Lord of the Rings....

"they wants to steal precious, master...don't lisss-sten to them...evil they are, master, follow meeee, my master!...."

-----------------------------

quack

Ignore, Oaks???? Can'na be, laddie!

In fact, you inspire this confession: I think "Crazy Train" has one of the best opening guitar riffs ever...Randy Rhodes? When Ozzie does his "Aiii aiii aiiii!" it's classic, near as good as Roger Dalty's stutter on "My Generation" as a patented bookmark sound. Course then after the first 30 seconds or so....zzzzzz...... icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

But Beck....now yer talking! icon_cool.gif Friend of mine saw him in Oakland, CA. a while back. Said there was no mic onstage, period. No song introductions, no nothing. He just PLAYED, being his skinny li'l bad a$$ self and it was more than enough to sustain the entire concert, he said it was awesome. How many musicians can do that? icon_smile.gif:)-->

quack

• 4 weeks later...

"Jumping the Shark" is a hot topic in this forum - and we know it mostly pertains to TV shows. But I was talking to my worship band buds at church today and I introduced the topic as it pertains to bands.

There were definitely some kick butt bands that jumped the shark at a definitive point...

Like Earth, Wind and Fire "jumped the shark" with "Boogie Wonderland"

Chicago underwent a sea change between V and VI...

Remember when Journey was a pretty funky fusion type band with Greg Rollie...enter that candy a** Steve Perry...

Just my opinions...what are yours?

Interestin' topic, Yana!

For the Beatles, I'd say it was Rubber Soul.

[Drive My Car

Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

You Won't See Me

Nowhere Man

Think For Yourself

The Word

Michelle

What Goes On

Girl

I?m Looking Through You

In My Life

Wait

If I Needed Someone

Run For Your Life]

They jumped way out on this album, from the cover art, to the writing. The Beatle suits went south. They really staked a claim with their songwriting on it.

Norwegian Wood is on my personal top 10 list of all time greatest songs. So poignant, understated, musically simple, so much implied and so sweetly.

Michelle really set the McCartney tone for years to come. It was like he took the whole cabaret songbook and lept from "Till There Was You" and stamped his own tune in the book with this one. French lines. Killer tune.

In My Life...a classic.

You Won't See Me...whew! The bridge harmonies and chords on:

"time after time you refuse to even listen.

I wouldn't mind if I knew what I was missing.

(no I wouldn't, no I wouldn't)

great rhythmic pacing...a real Lennon/McCartney irony/contrast twist to it.

I think they sharked out on this one. icon_smile.gif:)-->

quack

[This message was edited by socks on April 06, 2003 at 23:20.]

Yana:

Journey hit the top 40 with Mr. Perry, but they were definitely a better band before he showed up. Rolle and Shoen (sp?) were refugees from Santana, and it showed.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Henri Poincare

Hi, Don?t mean to just in off topic, but does anyone know who sang the song with the words, I think these are the words, ?So are you weary and troubled. No light in the darkness you see...? I have been humming it to myself. Cheered me right up this afternoon. If anyone could post me the lyrics I would really appreciate it.

BTW, very cool thread!

Jesse Joe, that would be "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus". Here's the original lyrics:

O soul, are you weary and troubled?

No light in the darkness you see?

There?s a light for a look at the Savior,

And life more abundant and free!

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,

Look full in His wonderful face,

And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,

In the light of His glory and grace.

Through death into life everlasting

He passed, and we follow Him there;

Over us sin no more hath dominion?

For more than conquerors we are!

His Word shall not fail you?He promised;

Believe Him, and all will be well:

Then go to a world that is dying,

His perfect salvation to tell!

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,

Look full in His wonderful face,

And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,

In the light of His glory and grace.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

It's a sweet, sweet song.

quack

socks, thanks for the reminder

The Word (Lennon/McCartney)

Say the word and you'll be free

Say the word and be like me

Say the word I'm thinking of

Have you heard the word is love?

It's so fine, It's sunshine

It's the word, love

In the beginning I misunderstood

But now I've got it, the word is good

Spread the word and you'll be free

Spread the word and be like be

Spread the work I'm thinking of

It's the word, love

Every where I go I hear it said

In the good and bad books that I have read

Give the word a chance to say

That the word is just the way

It's the word I'm thinking of

And the only word is love

It's the word, love

Now that I know what I feel must be right

I'm here to show everybody the light

Say the word and you'll be free

Say the word and be like me

Say the word I'm thinking of

It's the word, love

Glad y'all enjoyed it!

As to who sang it, I heard several do it over the years JessJoe, in the Way. It's just a great song.

Charlie, I agree that is a great tune too, alright! Thanks for the word. icon_smile.gif:)--> The way it's put opens up on different levels, reading it. It's cool. There's a few Jeff Beck fans round here, good to have you!

quack

Hey, almost forgot! The wif' an' me went with some friends and saw the Moody Blues a couple weeks ago. It was GREAT. They had 3 of the original band, with a keyboardist filling in on this tour, two backup singers and a second keyboardist plus a second drummer.

I used to listen to them some, enjoyed their tunes, had a couple friends really in to them, but never followed them closely.

I have to say I went thinking well, this will be interesting and enjoyable but I didn't know just what to expect.

They completely knocked us out. They ROCKed, did some new songs plus lots of earlier tunes, so many songs I hadn't heard in YEARS. It really took us back to a cetain era of our youth that was to some extent all but forgotten. I found myself thinking of old friends, things we did. (my wife and I met as teenagers and I'm tipping the scales over 50 now. She's close but looks 30 wouldn' ya know. icon_smile.gif:)-->)

It was a really wonderful night, nostalgic in a good way. We all felt like their lyrics were so much more meaningful now than when we were younger. It really made me respect the songwriting craft and thought they have put in to their music over the years.

If ya like them way back when and you can see them now, do it! It was a great night.

quack

Socksness, glad to hear the Moody Blues still rock. I had a chance to go see them in Vegas about 10 years ago, but my friends dragged me elsewhere. I'm still ticked off at them. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Ah, Spirit. They were previously called Spirits Rebellious, if my memory serves. Did you guys know that the drummer was Randy "California"'s dad? I hung out at their house in Ojai once and used to go hear them play pretty often. Randy and his dad were friends of a friend of mine, so we always got in for free.

Haven't pulled out their albums in eons. Maybe that would be good music to clean by today! Thanks for the reminder!

Linda Z

The Moody Blues played here in Lincoln last month, about 2 blocks from my house, but I couldn't get tickets.

I'm listening to Spirit right now, a "best of" called Time Circle.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Henri Poincare