GreaseSpot Cafe

Ozzie's Wife & Colon Cancer

I realized that maybe some readers of this type of subject may not read a topic entitled "Health and Healing". So it's important enough to have its own thread.

So Sharon Osbourne is diagnosed with colon cancer. She readily admits that her diet "is junk". What alarms me is that the physicians remove about a foot of intestines and she will be treated with standard cancer treatment. And she, like many patients just complacently will allow the doctors to "fix" her.

First of all, colon cancer is unheard of in parts of the world where the natives eat of the land. It is highest in developed and civilized countries. So the common demonimator is???? DIET. A very preventable ill.

Second, you need as a patient be a very PRO-ACTIVE part of your health/healing process.

Third, and it kind of goes with the second thing, standard cancer treatment therapy wracks havoc with the immune system. The numbers are alarming at those who died of the treatment and not the cancer itself. A big part of it is no program to provide nourishment to the body and help the immune system while going through this.

So, what is the key? The care and feeding of the bowels. (oh, no, what a yuck subject). Regularity and the proper food produces a healthy bowel. That would mean a daily commitment to your own body. It would result in less illness and less cost and doctor's visits. So you say, if it is so easy, why is the number 2 cancer in the country? Money. Cancer is big business. See, the only person with your best interest in mind.......

is you.

My father-in-law has kidney cancer. He NEVER drinks water. Even when told to drink a full glass of water with a pill, he will take one small sip or use another liquid.

Now, he has cancer in his kidneys. He still fights when told to drink water and will not change his diet.

Masterherb:If you were to write out a balanced diet, what would it be?

For instance:

Make sure you have at least four helpings of vegtables fom the following list:

blaa blaa

Protien daily choose from the following:

blaa blaa

Only choose once a week form the following if you can not live without:

Bacon, blaa blaa

Fruit:

Choose (whatever) 4 helpings form the following:

Starches and breads only whatever helpings of the following:

Then Water in the amount of:

Can you please get us to a healthy diet, without giving up all meat (some can not) and a vegatarian one?

Can that diet help those of us overweight loose weight? Under weight to gain? Out of balance to get in balance?

Interested in your suggested diets...

Dot Matrix

I, too, would like additional information.

This cancer is something that runs in my husband's side of the family. His father died from a blockage in his colon and lived on a very high-fat, low fiber diet - (a diet hewn from growing up during the Great Depression and from being raised traditional Greek!). In photos I've seen of him, his abdomen is always distended - not like a beer belly, but different.

Hubby has the same body type and traits, as do his brother and sister, who are older.

I want to know more about prevention, to stop the cycle of this nasty cancer in the family!

Two years ago my husband had kidney cancer. His kidney was removed, the cancer is gone. That's the way with kidney cancer...it's either not found in time and has spread so much there's nothing that can be done (kidney cancer does not respond much to chemo or radiation), or it's caught in time, the kidney is removed, and it never comes back.

There are 3 major risk factors for kidney cancer: smoking; exposure to toxins; and disease. Of course, there are other risk factors...like being a male, genetics, diet, weight, etc.

My husband was repeatedly exposed to agent orange in the military. In civilian life, he did a lot of bottom painting on boats (bottom paint is absolutely one of the most toxic substances around...full of pesticides and heavy metals, etc), worked with asbestos before there was much noise about its toxicity, used epoxies in closed, unventilated areas, etc. He also smoked and his diet was terrible...and his father had kidney cancer.

Funny thing, though...the cancer surgery went well and he was out of the hospital within the week...but two weeks to the day that he got out of the hospital, some young gal (18yo) dropped her cell phone or something and plowed into him head-on. Ruptured his spleen and he damn near died. That was the only accident he had experienced in over 20 years.

Of course, he was not in twi when all this happened, but was involved in an offshoot. Maybe gawd protects only the household of twi? Just joshing widya!

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store/store.aspx?storeid=CoolWaters'>0e796970.jpghttp://www.imood.com/query.cgi?email=CoolWaters@cox.net'>The current mood of CoolWaters@cox.net a</p>

I have been following Covert Bailey mostly on nutrition and excersice, started to read Andrew Weil's book, but found it very round aboutish and not as straight forward as Covert's.

I too, like Dot, wouldlove to hear your overall opinions on the Diet issues.

We have given up a lot of fats, and minimized sugar --harder to do with kiddos....

BUT I GAVE UP 1/2 and 1/2....I am proud of myself...increased Olive oil stuff like that.

Being pro-active is absolutely vital when being treated for an upper respiratory infection or cancer or having to have a cut sutured up.

I have two autoimmune illnesses, CFIDS and FMS.

I became ill, and when my doctor offered me an anti depressant because 'women of a certain age'

(read 50+) often feel 'ill' and 'depressed' because they aren't young anymore.

I told my doctor of 12 years that he was full of horse manure, that I was truly ill and I was going to get to the bottom of it.

Took me nearly 6 months to figure out what might be wrong, then another 6 months to find a doctor who didn't pat me on the hand complacently and tell me that I was just imagineing things!

(GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

I recently went to a dentist who told me that he didn't believe in either CFIDS or FMS, that they were simply 'trashcan diagnosis' that doctors hung on people who were just lazy and didn't want to work any more! (Yes $521 a month is much better than over $1000 a month!)

(Took me 3 years of fighting to convince Social Security that I was truly ill!)

All this stuff I mentioned above is leading to this--

THAT DOCTOR IS YOUR EMPLOYEE! HE/SHE ISN'T DOING YOU A PERSONAL FAVOR, OR A BOON, AND WHILE THEY MAY EXPECT THE LOWLY PATIENT TO KISS THEIR FEET, THEY ARE STILL YOUR EMPLOYEE! YOU PAY THEM TO TREAT YOU!

Therefore you have the right to question his treatment plan, you have the right to research the subject, and you have the right to be an active partner in your treatment no matter what the illness.

(GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

Eating whole foods is important. We eat VERY lean, very little beef. We eat lots of chicken sans skin, fish--canned and fresh frozen, we check the sodium on everything we buy, we eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. Very little sugar as well.

I cook everything from scratch as then I know the amounts of salt etc.

I drink gallons of water. I also drink green iced tea, because it tastes good and because there are antioxidents reputed to be in it.

I don't believe that we eat as whole as we should, but any effort is a good start.

Kay

Kay1952

Kay:

You mention fish, but from what I have learmed it is not inspected like beef or chicken. I saw on one of those information shows that a lot of fish comes in with worms and the stores just rinse them off. Then, the mecury in canned tuna is unhealthy....

The stores have been changing the sell by date on their meat products making people sick on and on it goes...

I get to the point where I do not know what to do....

Also, I found this article on fillings in teeth which can cause a litney of medical problems I will post that as a new topic...

Thanks Cool Waters

Dot Matrix

[This message was edited by Dot Matrix on July 21, 2002 at 11:29.]

I've followed some of MH's suggestions over the past several months...notice the "some". I'm making small changes here and there, working up to a better lifestyle as I get more convinced. It's not easy to change everything at once unless you want to go into shock (minor tee hee). I happen to be fortunate in not needing the "incurables" drastic approach at the moment.

In the research and reading that I've done...I found that there is no one basic "diet" plan that will suit us all! For instance, some of us can maintain optimal health with some meat in the diet and others's can't. Some need certain supplementations for liver, kidney and other problems. MH may be able to provide a basic core or framework of a plan, but I think we'd best be our own best advocates here as in working with doctors if and when necessary! I think it would be unfair to expect a "one-size-fits-all" plan.

Some diet changes are easier than others and we should not expect it to be easy to change certain habits after 30 or 40 years of mismanagement!

The hardest thing for me to change so far was an exercise plan. I am not a "physical" person. I've had to force myself, and still do most days. I live in an environment such that a long walk outside will do as much harm as good, breathing in the bus and truck vapors! Home exercise equipment isn't in the budget and neither is joining a gym! BUT:

I do happen to own a metronome. I set it and "march in place" when I watch the news, you'd be surprised to see how much you've sweated by the times they do the sports and weather! Yes - I look pretty stupid doing this, but nobody's here taking pictures!

I also happen to have a flight of stairs. So I started walking them, down and then up = 1 round trip. I started making 3 round trips twice/day. That was really tough! But now I'm up to 5 trips twice/day and my legs still shout near the end...but I've built up to that.

There are things in an overall program which I have not started yet, but I think I will get there eventually.

My point is, that if MH can supply a core program, we will still have to do the work in adapting it to our own needs, and we may have to be creative in implementing some of it. You also have to be very honest with yourself as to what degree you are willing to commit to these things!

My results? In the past 5 or 6 months since I've started some of these changes I have been able to reduce every medication prescribed for me (except for arthritis) by about half! One I even eliminated (for blood pressure). I generally sleep better, but still want and enjoy short afternoon naps. My skin is clearer, as are my eyes. I'm better able to concentrate on mental tasks, but I have not lost much weight (only about 5 lbs). I feel a little stronger physically and have more endurance, but not nearly to the point where I would like to be. I do still have to deal with some arthritis, however. I would like to lose at least another 20 pounds.

I guess it takes time. It took me over 30 years to get in this state, I guess I should allow more than 5 or 6 months of an introductory "program" to get out of it! I'm working on it, and every step forward for me is both a challenge and a victory! In my case, the biggest battle is between my ears".

[This message was edited by krysilis on July 21, 2002 at 12:23.]

I am VERY pleased. Krys is right- it takes many years to build the illnesses, it takes time to repair and rebuild. And the biggest battle is between the ears.

Back to the colon, and for that matter the kidneys. The body's creator made several avenues of elimination- the bowels, the liver, the kidneys, the skin and even the bloodstream. The first lesson I learned in the School of Natural Healing was opening the avenues of elimination. I thought, oh gee, here it comes- just like Bernard Jensen who actually photographs "poop". But when you look at plumbing, there are many similarities. If the plumbing is stopped up, there is no outflow of toxins or wastes and it coats the pipes and begins to stink!

The best herbal formula I have found to feed and rebuild the bowels is put out by one of the school's premier student graduates- Richard Schultze. I have used this formula and recommended it to people who felt that perhaps their bowels weren't functioning every day. The results have been amazing. It is a formula of herbs that encourage the perastalsis of the bowels. I had one student last year who took up to 4 capsules until her bowel responded. She was so thrilled that she wanted to try the follow up formula for removing toxins and the dried, hardened junk on the walls. I told her "whoa" let's get your bowels functioning first, then we will move forward. Now, this formula works without the major diet changes- imagine the results WITH the diet changes. You see, some of our food choices actually paste against the walls of the bowel, and less room for nutrients to be absorbed can equal weight gain for example, as the body is STILL looking for nutrients. Also, as the walls get coated, diverticuli develop. SO WITHOUT CHANGING YOUR DIET ONE BIT, DR. SCHULZE'S INTESTINAL CORRECTIVE FORMULA #1 IS A GREAT STEP FORWARD.

Now, you know that I don't want to see a lack of diet change, but here is a formula that will produce great results.

Regarding the Agent Orange: our livers are the garbage collector and neutralizer. If the liver is not functioning correctly, the everyday pollution, toxins, our hormones, foods (especially fats) and even drugs will not be broken down and eliminated from the body without an adverse reaction. This is why cancer of the liver is so serious. This organ was designed, by the Creator to handle just about anything and protect the body. When it cannot, the balance of the organs will be burdened to attempt to do something they were not designed for. Our sugar-rich diet and lack of bitters is what contributes to liver failure.

Kidney failure or diseases of the kidneys is very serious. These are very delicate tissues and the filtration system is very sensitive. But is removal of a kidney truely the "cure"? My Bible states in I Corinthians 12 that though the body be one, it has many members. And just because the eye is not the ear is it not of the body? and if one member suffers........ You get the point. As spiritual as I was for many years, I read that chapter and thought of the Body of Christ and fellowship AND COMPLETELY MISSED THE PHYSICAL ANALOGY. Until I became an herbalist years post twi. Yikes, was I dense!!!!

Now, I am not saying that there is any condemnation to those that choose surgery. If that is the decision that you make regarding your body, than my prayers are for the best outcome for you. What I am saying is that there are alternatives available to ponder. Again, I think Richard Schulze developed some real result-producing recipes and formulas. (If anyone wants to get his free catalog and newsletters, you may call 1-800-HERB-DOC (437-2362). This is not a sales pitch as I do not sell anything; he just has the most concise information and best quality formulas I have worked with and results are the rule not the exception.

Drinking water is #1 for kidneys, but if you have a person who just won't drink enough, look to water rich foods such as watermelon, grapes, cucumbers, apples, peaches, etc which DO supply the body with good distilled water. Try teas such as marshmallow tea which actually helps to clean and sooth the delicate tissues.

People ask me if it is ok to put sugar in the tea because they can't drink it otherwise. Look, when we are trying to make a positive, healthy, change, there will be bumps in the road. If you do not have a life threatening illness, THEN GO AHEAD AND PUT SOME SUGAR IN YOUR TEA- JUST GET THE TEA IN YOU!!!!!!!! For those who have life-threatening illnesses, refined white sugar is poison and you will have to do WITHOUT. If you must have a sweetener, go with locally produced honey or genuine maple syrup.

Regarding changes we can make---- let me put something together on a seperate thread so those that want that info specifically can go to it. I promise that it will give you plenty of good ideas that whether you want to go vegan or not, your body will respond and you will see a difference. Like I told Krys, it's like being on a training program, do a little, each day, faithfully and you will see the results. And you will be inspired to do more.

My thanks to our Heavenly Father in allowing me to share with you all my studies in this field of over 20 years. Please feel free to ask me, and if not at the grease spot, at wolfgang1vh@yahoo.com.