GreaseSpot Cafe

The Movie Fraility/similar to TWI

We just saw the movie Fraility. Written by Bill Paxton who also stars in it. It was VERY disturbing on a couple levels.

It is about this man who has two sons, his wife died giving birth to the yougest, so the family consisted of the three guys. Then, one day the father hears god tell him that they are all going to serve him (god) as demon fighters.

(At this point, I can see Craig. )

The father then brings home PEOPLE whose names god gave him to destroy because they are not people but demons inside.

(I am thinking about the M&A and homopurge period)

So, the father brings home these PEOPLE and is convinced they are demons and he forces his boys to be with him as he hacks them to death with an axe.

(I am thinking of the homo letter John R. posted "I could kill you.")

One son, Fenton, KNOWS this is wrong and goes to the police to report his Dad but they do not believe him.

(how many of you went to various leadership to try and FIX the ministry because things were not right.)

Fenton gets punished because he tried to convince his father this cannot be God's will. He is placed in a basement for weeks and not fed. While his brother who agrees with the father has the father's attention and praise.

(We all have examples of this crap)

Anyway -- it blew my mind how this guy gets tricked by the devil into killing people thinking he is doing God's will. The son who knows it is wrong wants to leave but stays to try and protect the younger brother...

(we all stayed when we knew to leave)

If anyone has not seen this movie (a little creepy with the killings) I found it interesting on how tricked the father (leader of the family) became and the similarities to our own entanglement. You may want to see it.

If you did see it -- what do you think?

Dot Matrix

[This message was edited by Dot Matrix on July 08, 2002 at 6:55.]

i saw it, and my take is totally diff.

turns out the father was seeing the visions, and the "good" son ended up being a murderer for murder's sake, whereas the father and younger son did know who was evil. those people had done the things that got them judged.

to me, it really reminded me of evangelicals and their belief that they have the only way.

it was a spooky movie.

but it goes to show ya that not everyone can see what you see, or believe it ....i suppose.

it also shows how the line between earthly concrete reality gets blurred when the "heavenly" realm begins to manifest itself. the boundaries get lost.

makesd me glad the Lord will judge. that burden put on us, as is shown, could drive us off the edge.

i won't see it on video. but i still enjoyed it.

rob

Sounds like an intriguing movie.

The plot as you described slightly reminded me

of "Mosquito Coast" starring Harrison Ford, whose

character also turned out quite an abusive father.

The scene where the Ford character looks inside a mission church and sees a TV with a Bible class running on it (which bears an uncanny resemblance to VPW/PFAL) still cracks me up.

Another weird movie I saw a few years ago (and haven't been able to find on video) is "The Rapture" starring Mimi Rogers.

Thanks for the review, Dot Matrix!

Rob - nyeah I know the ending flips it around and I still do not know what to make of that.

XV- I will have to see if I can see the Harrison Ford movie. (PFAL spoof and all)

Fraility disturbed me because it brings EVIL into a family as "good" of course that is if I discount the ending.

I thought of many things as I listed. But also how we were introduced to EVIL via good the PFAL class. It is a difficult trick to escpae from.

Rob -- yes, it does sheow how people see things differently.

Dot Matrix

Dot,

While there are parallels, this movie is anything but a slice of life (no pun intended).

I haven't seen the movie but there is plenty out of Hollywood these days that attempts to marginalize Christianity. I'm wondering if this movie had more of a political agenda than a psychological message.

The left often competes with Christianity for the "moral high-ground" and in cases where there is cooperation, Christianity becomes much more like social activism, rooted in ethical dogma rather than spiritual experience. Where there is competition, the left attempts to paint Christianity as an ignorant and reactionary superstition. (There may be a few examples of that, but Jerry Falwell is their most popular target, unfairly. He's had conferences with gay leaders. I doubt the left would ever be so accommodating of their ideological opposites. Generally they're given to shouting down their opposition.)

I guess I'd need to see the movie for myself, but you don't make it sound too appetizing. It will probably show up on cable someday.

What marks TWI and most other Christian "extremists" is a strong sense of self-preservation. I don't believe the Jim Jones cult was altogether "Christian" in that respect, but then again many of those people were murdered, if I recall.

The real wackos to watch are the ones who don't mind dying for their cause. TWI is predictable and relatively "safe" because its leaders are fundamentally greedy - self-interested in the worst way. Whatever damage they might do, and there's plenty, I don't expect we'll see them committing atrocities.

It's the Presbyterians I'm worried about.