GreaseSpot Cafe

Simon and Garfunkel

pawtucket

If I'm going to look for America, don't I have board a Greyhound in Pittsburgh?

Thanks for the offer, Tom.

You would think they might come somewhere closer to here. This ain't exactly Podunk Center any more.

The Dean Smith Center in Chapel Hill would be a perfect place for them to play.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you would Pi... (one of my favorite songs BTW, it's hard to have only one)... Aren't they going to/haven't they been to Atlanta? They're still have more dates to announce don't they?

They just announced Dallas recently... and I've got the "secret word" to get advanced tickets from TM... you sure you don't wanna come out? I don't know if I can get you the senior discount though...

• 1 month later...

Pretty sly Jessica. You got that one through the sensors. I won't rat on yea though. Hey, I saw a little bit of Spiderman the other night. I thought it was pretty good. Sort of a cross between Superman, Batman and Revenge of the Nerds. I will have to watch more of it, but it was late at night and I had to go to bed.

Be good now.

Love,

Uncle Mark

It was a great show. The tickets cost both arms and one leg, but were worth it. To me, it was as important as seeing the Beatles (something I didn't get to do). I am in awe of Paul Simon's talent musically as well as lyrically. The volume of his work is Amazing to say the least.

It was tight and well presented. Both of their voices sounded a little "tired" at times (that's to be expected I guess since they're 62) but were still not that bad. Most of the time they sounded just fine- amazing harmonies... and when they needed it their voices were just as strong and vibrant as in their youth.

The only disappointing thing was that it was only about two hours (including the Everly Brothers bit). It was also nice that Edie Brickell and their kids were there as well. She didn't perform, but was there talking with friends. I wonder if they came to any other shows or if they came to this one because the kids got to visit the grandparents (she's from Dallas).

It was only the third concert my wife had ever been to (she grew up a 'sheltered' JW) and she was just awestruck and blown away. Of course, as I've kind of said above, I was too!

Like the others who have been to the show have said... GO IF YOU CAN! It's worth the money.

For me, Socks, ALL of them did... I've been a big fan for a long time... (there were a lot of OLD people there... oh wait, that was me, too!)...

'America' has always been my favorite one. They did a real strong job on that... and when the Lesley (sp) kicked in I got chills... The Boxer, Mrs Robinson, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Scarborough Faire... all of them... but also 'El Condor y Passa' (or whatever the heck it's called)... and a few lesser known (if there is such a thing) songs where Art did solos and Paul just stayed back playing.

They both showed (and spoke) a lot of respect for each other and for the audience. They did 'Slip Slidin Away' and Paul introduced it as "here's a song not recorded by S&G, although it should have been)...

Here's the review that was in the paper:

quote:
Review: Simon & Garfunkel tightknit in show at AAC

12:17 AM CDT on Friday, July 9, 2004

By THOR CHRISTENSEN / The Dallas Morning News

Not bad for a couple of guys in their 60s singing songs they made famous in their 20s.

Thursday night at American Airlines Center, Art Garfunkel chalked up the enduring charm of Simon & Garfunkel by saying, "It's very easy to sing when the songs are this good." But, in reality, it wasn't Paul Simon's tunes that made the concert work but the effortless way the duo sang them.

Much has been written about the pair's on-again, off-again friendship, but the real story is how incredibly well their voices still mesh in "Cecilia," "The Sounds of Silence" and "Mrs. Robinson." Harmonizing is a tricky science that gets even tougher as vocal chords age, as Mr. Simon and Bob Dylan proved with some disastrous duets on tour in 1999.

But these "Old Friends" – to borrow the title of the opening song – were in fine voice and perfect sync for most of the two-hour greatest-hits show. With top tickets priced at a whopping $225, the walk down memory lane was one of the priciest ones in rock history: Bring your spouse and buy a T-shirt and you've just burned a half-grand.

Yet, to Simon and Garfunkel's credit, the nostalgia wasn't entirely predictable. Granted, you could bet the Lexus that "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "The Boxer" were going to be the big set enders. But there were some pleasant surprises, too, like the jazzy, extended version of "Homeward Bound," the rocked-up arrangement of "My Little Town" and an Afro-Latinized "Mrs. Robinson."

Mr. Garfunkel looked pretty much the same as always – except that his shock of blond hair has acquired a strange orange hue – and his high tenor was as angelic as ever on "Scarborough Fair" and "Kathy's Song." Mr. Simon, having dispensed with the toupee and the baseball cap, looked his age but didn't always act it. Striking gunslinger poses with his acoustic guitar, he still seemed like the kid from Queens emulating his heroes, the Everly Brothers.

Then, just like magic, he mentioned their name and there they were: Phil and Don Everly, old enough for Social Security but still sounding glorious on "Wake Up Little Susie," "Dreams" and "Bye Bye Love," which they sang with help from their slightly younger prot?s.

Earlier, Simon and Garfunkel trotted out "Hey, School Girl," the Everly-style song they began their career with in 1957. The two actually met in 1954, when they were 12, and as Mr. Garfunkel explained, they're celebrating the 50th anniversary of their friendship this year.

But, as usual, Mr. Simon got the last word: "Actually, we started to sing when we were 13, and we started to argue when we were 14, making this the 48th anniversary."

Sounds great Tom. Pricey tickets! but a lot of them are up in the 100 plus range it seems.

Man, I love the Everly Brothers, too. What a combination. S & G always seemed to have that smooth sweet sound like them. I remember reading once the Beatles, Lennon and McCartney, patterned their harmony sound after the Everly's and I can hear it, but their sound didn't have the same meshing, to me. They had more of a contrasting blend that made it unique.

I love the recorded sound of "Still Crazy", what an awesome tune.

I find their songs so real. "Me and Julio Down in the Schoolyard" - "Bookends".

Well - for me - so many of them evoke very real and very strong memories of people I know (or knew) and situations I was in... it's something folks of "our" generation can relate too.

They're clean songs - I dom't think I can remember a single amoral line from any of them (but I am getting older) and they invoke no political innuendos - and they have such a gift for harmony and verse. I guess you could say they are true barbs.

I didn't get to be at any of the concerts, perhaps next time!~ (?)