GreaseSpot Cafe

Amazing Sea Monkeys on Mars

Tom Strange

Do any of you have experience with the Sea Monkeys? A couple of years ago I bought the "Sea Monkeys on Mars" habitat.

It's sitting here in my office, near the Area 51 aerial photo. I've never opened it or set it up.

Now... here's the catch... on the box it claims:

"Guaranteed to live two years!"

Now, is that two years after they've been set up? or is it two years after you buy them?

Have any of you ever had "fun with sea monkeys"...?

She's the kind of a girl that makes the "News of the World" Yes you could say she was attractively built.

[This message was edited by Tom Strange on March 02, 2004 at 22:16.]

Edited by Guest

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are brine shrimp. I used to raise platies, a common live-bearing tropical fish and I would have to hatch brine shrimp to feed to the babies.

The 2 year figure is for the dry eggs. They'll probably last alot longer, I've heard 10 years. Once you've hatched them, they may live a couple weeks with minimal care.

Here's more information about brine shrimp than you'll probably ever want:

http://www.ee.pdx.edu/~davidr/discus/articles/artemia.html

ah Jim... you spoiler!

They're Sea Monkeys I tell ya!

It says so on the box!

I've been thinking about a thread on "Mastering Sea Monkeys"...

She's the kind of a girl that makes the "News of the World" Yes you could say she was attractively built.

Edited by Guest

But Tom, to Master the Sea Monkeys...you have to be an OLM (Older Leader Monkey) and I don't think you qualify. Unless of course, you go to the written record, and then of course, there is a whole new aspect of monkeys to understand...like using a mirror...those monkeys really freak when you use a mirror. Now understand, that mirror only reverses left and right, not up and down. So we have to come to the point where we understand the monkeys and what was REALLY meant in the original text (The Monkey Breathed text).

Is that all clear now?

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I'm an OLM!!! icon_smile.gif:)-->

Tom, I've been diggin' the sea monkey's since childhood. On the back cover of the old DC comics, they'd have ads for these cool lookning "Sea Monkeys"! and I of course ordered them at one point. I got a little bottle of what looked like brown dandruff. Brine shrimp!! They turned out to be pretty cool.

I too have grown them, off and on, to feed my tropical fish. They're pretty cool. I don't know the shelf life, but my impression is they remain dormant for years. Just add water. VOILA!!! Sea Dawgies!

In line, in line, it's all in a line. My ducks are all in a row.

They do not change, they do not move. They have nowhere to go.

James Taylor

HAHA Bluz! You are so busted!!!! You've been reading Mike's threads and we all know it now!!!

Tom, boy am I glad I never bought those Sea Monkeys when I was a kid. Two weeks, sheesh, I can get a gold fish to live longer than that.

To every man his own truth and his own God within.

WOW. Bluzeman, you were there in the "good old days"! Before the rules, the regimentation. Cool. That's when a monkey could really be a monkey.

There was some good music then, too, not this programmed stuff. "Good Monkeys", "Joyful Monkeys", "Pressed Brine, Shaken Together and Running Over". (PBSTRO)

James Taylor

I thought this topic was about the possibility of life on Mars. They're not 100% sure, but it sounds like the Mars rovers have found salt water. It's interesting because under the surface it stays liquid, but when it comes to the surface it freezes.

Of course, it's possible that life was discovered on Mars in 1976 with Voyager I believe, but one test said yes, another no, so it's inconclusive at this point.

So, to get back to the topic, it's entirely possible, although unlikely, that seamonkeys live on Mars.

Socks! Bluzeman! I had a feeling I had a connection with you guys... a sea monkey connection...

I was always fascinated by them on the backs of the comic books... and I think they might have even made an appearance in 'Boys Life' once or twice... always wanted some, never got any... until a couple of years ago that is!

I've thought about raising them for my fish as well Senor Socks (I have a 100 gal freshwater)... but 1) I don't want to 'spoil' the unopened package, in fact I'm thinking of sending it to Wacky for her new home and 2) my fish didn't like the frozen sea monkeys I fed them for some reason (were they perhaps from Mars as MasterP brought up?), they like the frozen blood worms and the frozen daphnia just fine, but not the sea monkeys!

Now, as for mastering the sea monkeys... it seems we would need a text... as close to the original as possible I would think... do you think there exists an original boolsheeta text?

Brine Shrimp books! Earthlings good!

For our viewing pleasure, the lifecycle of the Sea Monkey. From babe to OLM, in 3 phases...

actual3.jpg

James Taylor

[This message was edited by socks on March 02, 2004 at 1:06.]

Edited by Guest

Hmmm...speaking of Martians, Mr. P-Mosh-an interesting article that tells me are not...alone...

quote:
LOUISVILLE, KY, January 15, 2004 - Long John Silver’s announced today that it will give America free Giant Shrimp if NASA’s Mars Exploration Rover project finds conclusive evidence of an ocean on Mars by February 29, 2004. The out-of-this-world offer from the world’s most popular seafood chain celebrates NASA’s efforts to find traces of ocean water—and possibly, evidence of life—on Mars.

Steve Davis, President of Long John Silver’s, Inc., and A&W Restaurants, Inc. sent a letter to NASA Administrator Sean O’Keefe, expressing support for NASA’s efforts to find conclusive evidence of an ocean on Mars. In addition, Davis announced plans to provide free Giant Shrimp to America if conclusive evidence of an ocean is found.

“We have closely followed NASA’s recent exploration of Mars and all of us are rooting you on to find ocean water on the Red Planet,” Davis wrote. “The ‘Free Giant Shrimp’ offer is our way of saying NASA’s exploration of Mars and the discovery of ocean water would be ‘one small step for man, one giant leap for seafood.’”

James Taylor

Edited by Guest

Hey, HEY, HEY!!!

I'm on to this! You guys are killin me!! Listen:

Have any of you all ever seen the movie "Amos and Andrew"? It stars Nicolas Cage and Samuel L. Jackson. In the movie, The two guys get thrown together in a ridiculous situation where Nicolas Cage ends up holding Samuel L. Jackson as a hostage in some ritzy Yankee house in a New England neighborhood. While they are awaiting what the cops on "the outside" are gonna do, they end up having a heart to heart conversation.

And when Nicolas Cage "bares his heart", he tells a ridiculously funny story of how he ordered some "Sea Monkeys" when he was a kid, and how he just "wanted to have sweet family in his own home" like the picture of the "happy family of Sea Monkeys" in the picture in the Boys Life Magazine! But when he ordered up his Sea Monkeys, and tried to hatch them out, he ended up with nothing but a "bunch of goo!" which is why he ended up being a criminal"..

Ohmigod, it was sooo funny the way he put it, I just laughed to tears! And now, here are you guys talking about the same thing! Man, you all have had me laffin!!

Yet, I never did buy any Sea Monkeys...

If you haven't seen it, you gotta rent that flick for that scene alone...

Now Tom, I saw "Bowling For Colombine", so now you gotta see "Amos and Andrew"....