GreaseSpot Cafe

Podcasting

pawtucket

Hiring frogs for movies?

Hardly. This is one of the more exciting things happening in internet technology. And it accomplishes something almost unattainable. Timeshifting Radio.

We have been timeshifting TV for about 25 or so years, with vcr's; TIVO's and DVD's. The ability to watch your favorite shows WHEN you want to watch them.

But radio hasn't had that luxury. We certainly can obtain the music, but things like NPR's "All Things Considered" are on when they are on and unless you have an elaborate home system, you can't "program" your stereo to tape it in most homes. I drove my exwife crazy(maybe a subliminal goal) when I had to be home every Sunday night to tape Dr. Demento on my reel to reel.

Until now. There is a new technology (actually boiled down it is simply downloading an mp3 file from a web site, but the delivery means are simple) called Podcasting. It is derived from the name of Apple's music "walkman" the iPod, but certainly not limited to the iPod. This can be utilized by any computer or digital device that has the capabilities of playing mp3 files.

Basically the way it works is simple. You install a free program (available from www.ipodder.org for instance). Then you go through their directory and find some programs that you would like to schedule. you just click on the ones that you want and they automatically are scheduled.

I have iTunes (free download from www.apple.com) on my computer and everytime that I open up the scheduling program, it goes and sees if there are any new files to download. It downloads them and puts them in a folder on iTunes, just waiting for me to play them. Now if you don't have iTunes, it will just download them to a folder of your choice and you are free to play them on whatever program that you use.

And that is it. A few of my faves are now available at my leisure.

Some people are actually developing content exclusively to be delivered in this method. When I lived in SoCal, I listened to KCRW, an NPR station, and now I can listen to it live over the internet, but one of my favorite shows, LeShow with Harry Shearer, is on very early on Sundays. I miss it more than catch it. NOW I have it scheduled and listen to it whenever I want.

Many programs are doing this as a value added service for listeners.

Time Shifted listening for Radio, Finally!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...