GreaseSpot Cafe

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Yes, that's my real name. I was involved with The Way from August 1973 when Virginia"Ginger"

Douglass(now Ott) spoke to me while I was watching the animated Star Trek cartoon in the Student lounge @ ECU where I was a freshman who invited me back to The Way Home there in Greenville,NC, but being a genlteman and proably a fool not to persue her sexually, I later learned about a coffeehouse which I erroneously thought was a dance club and got to meet Doug Emerson. I later took the PFAL class while a student at ASU in Boone, but was during the summer and held in Lenoir where I lived with my parents, my father being a Lutheran pastor. To make the story short, I went NCWOW in

1976 meeting Patricia Fetner from Sanford whom

I had a major crush love-wise and might have in another situation married. After ROA 1979, I returned home only in less than a month had 10%

collapsed left lung and was hospitalized for 3

days with no visitors, letters, or phone calls

from anyone in TWI about my health (maybe revelation manifestations weren't working that day), yet many denominational clergy stopped by to visit me , who were my father's colleagues in

Lenoir. In December that same year, I wrote a letter to the editor of The Charlotte Observer

about an op-ed piece about TWI(which was negative), so I tried to defend them, but got severally reprimanded by the Limb leader saying

HQ did not need this sought of attention, so I freely left, although in 1985 while living in

Burlington, NC I was informed Of Victor Paul Wierwille's death(passing away/falling asleep).

Only in the last year have I tried to find out

what has happened and unfortunately, it has turned out to be a nightmare far worse than I ever knew. I returned to college, finishing up at Lenoir-Rhyne College for a BA in music in 1982, and more recently for a 2 year Sacred Music certificate program on liturgy, hymnody,

etc. I presently am Organist/Director of Music/

Parish Cantor at Holy Cross Lutheran Church in

Lincolnton, NC where I have an adult chancel

choir, accompany a youth/children's choir, conduct a 3 octave handbell/choirchime ensemble,

play drumset/percussion/keyboard and autoharp for our Contemporary Praise Ensemble "Justified By Faith". Active in American Guild of Organists

(local historian), Hymn Society of United States

and Canada, and member of the Association of Lutheran Church Musicians. And as Paul Harvey

would say, that's the rest of the story.

Thank you for sharing your amazing story. You were able to "see the sermon" TWI was teaching and wisely ran the other way. Good for you! icon_smile.gif:)-->

Sounds like you're doing very well and are very happy and peaceful. That's wonderful!

I LOVE playing the handbells and played with my church from 7th grade till I graduated college. It's the most beautiful sound to me. Truly making music with your friends. icon_smile.gif:)--> My Director of music during that time had a major impact on my life and I spent a great deal of time with him. I'm sure you provide the same wonderful example that he did.

Thanks for sharing.

• 4 months later...

As a postscript, I just got back this past Sunday from Mrs. Wierwille's funeral in St. Mary's where I saw John Paul and his 2nd wife Edna, Kevin Gigou and Sara Kathyrn, Jim and Karen Martin, John and Mary Somerville, John Lynn,Wayne Clapp, Doug McMillan, Ted Farrell, and Rhoda Wierwille as well as Ruben. Yes , I was polite to all of them.

How interesting.

Do you find your church moving away from traditional Lutheran hymnody into newer forms? I guess I should have first asked if you're MS or ELCA.

I ask because I love traditonal Lutheran hymnody, being a lover of Rennaissence music as well as Baroque. I've noticed that the congregation tens to trail off on the really old tunes. I think they find them somewhat obtuse by modern dumbed-down standards.

Actually, it is Evangelical Lutheran church in America(ELCA) and no I am told it was not Ruben, but it might have been Bob Ed(Robert Edward)Wierwille or else it was the funeral director from Miller Funeral Home in St. Mary's. Shudder! A possible Wierwille look alike. About as bad as mistaking Doug McMillan for Loy"Toyboy"Craig Martindale.

We do 2 different services: the 9AM is contemporary using music from Hillsongs, Newsboys, David Crowder,

Twilla Parris, and others including Marty Haugen and David Hass. The 11Am is from Service Book and Hymnal(red-1958), Lutheran Book of Worship(green-1978), Hymnal Supplement 1991(burgandy/maroon),

With One Voice(blue-1995), and Renewing Worship Songbook(multicolor-2003). We also have youth worship using DVD's fron Integrity's Worship Together series.

• 4 months later...

Some newbies like I love Bagpipes and Mary Poppins, plus The Mex and others may want to check out my personal story. So I am bringing this up again.

For your information, I also belong to the Classmates website, which gives more info on my schools, and participate on the religion, radio/tv, movies, arts and crafts, music, band/choir, and a private group called

Luther's Tabletalk.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe that no one else has posted their story. Gee, I didn't realize my posts were that exciting :unsure:

That's not it at all TLB. :)

This area just doesn't get much action. Some of the new people don't make it down here and a lot of people don't want to share their story. Others feel they post enough in the other forums that all their posts combined make up their story. It's nothing personal. ;)

• 3 months later...

This is the Doctor, emailing from my Tardis on route to Gallifry to view over the ruins and skeletal remains of the Time Lords. Just wanted to see if Pawtuckett and others were paying attention. This summer I am running around to Ohio and Indianna for music conferences(Columbus for Moravian Festival at Trinity Lutheran Seminary, and Green Castle for Hymn society at Depaw U.) Just call me Doctor Who? Actually prefer that over Fluffy Chuckle Chunks(sounds like Garfield got turned into Lasagna) :biglaugh: LOL Hello, anyone down here in the basement? Don't turn out the lights! Are you sure this isn't the Luna Foundation/Legacy House in San Fransisco or Collinwood Estate in Maine(Dark Shadows) near Chris Geer's haunted stomping grounds? :evildenk:

• 11 months later...

I have just become involved with the Leadership Program for Musicians serving in small congregations/parishes(LPM) which is an ecumenical organization made up of Episcopalians, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Reformed, United Methodists and are in conversation with Moravians, Roman Catholics, and Disciples of Christ offering classes on liturgy, hymnody, service music/leading congregational sining, etc.

Think that Chris Nemec from Memphis [Lindenwood Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)] is also in that or a similar group. Read about it in the newspaper a while back.

Congradulations on your selection!

Suda

Congrats TLB. Is that DePaul Univ. in Chicago?
No, LPM is located in Michigan with Anna Lampent-Largerent as contact person. try www.lpm-online.org to see more info.

• 1 month later...
I have just become involved with the Leadership Program for Musicians serving in small congregations/parishes(LPM) which is an ecumenical organization made up of Episcopalians, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Reformed, United Methodists and are in conversation with Moravians, Roman Catholics, and Disciples of Christ offering classes on liturgy, hymnody, service music/leading congregational sining, etc.
Oops! That's singing, not sinning. :redface2: Sowwry! My bad. :biglaugh: Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

• 9 months later...

I can't believe that it has been just over 3 years since I joined The (ex) Way List on Yahoo and Grease Spot Cafe. Still consider this website as my answer to AA/Al-ANON/NA. Hi, my name is Thomas and I am a former recovering TWI addict. (Everyone else says)"hi, Thomas! Welcome to GSC"

• 2 months later...

In addition to www.classmates.com, I also belong to www.reunion.com and www.facebook.com , the later gives far more information and includes my home address, phone number, and church's website where you can access my photos under staff and music ministries.

• 4 years later...

Lord, it has been awhile since I first posted in this forum. I am mostly now on FB with photos and more personal info.