GreaseSpot Cafe

JustPlainSilly: If you like watching fights...

Zixar

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone mentioned some "rule" about cross forum posting. I have not made any rule about it, nor do I plan to. I did say something in a thread a few weeks ago about it.

quote:
Some Ramblings

I see that PART of the dilemna is quoting something from another site. It is almost impossible to get the complete context.

As OE said, (paraphrasing) What I do outside of GS is my business. That is so true. I don't think it is fair to anyone to quote from one site and then post on it. The JW site has it's own set of rules (and yes it does have rules) and Raf's site has a set of rules and depending on who you talk to GS either has too many or not enough.

JW site is quoting from GS and LES. I can't and won't stop something that is a person's right. I posted something at LES to make a point to a number of people that seemed angry about GS not being a Christian site and it is seeping over here. I hadn't really thought about that since it really only addressed issues that some of the newer posters at Raf's site had and none of the information was secret or new. Cross forum quoting is new to GS and I don't know if it is a problem or not. The biggest issue that I see is "context".

So all that I can do is deal with this site. I joined Raf's site as a means of support and may post occasionally, just as I did on 1000screen name's site (his site is still open by the way, keeping us all abreast on a daily basis of the number of shopping days until Christmas). I don't have the time to join the JW site, although I have read some of the posts. I know what this site is about and don't want to be like any of the other sites.

I have my mission and to be honest, it was designed for people to get info and if they want stay and if they don't move on. Many friendships have been made at the cafe and if the forums closed today, it would have been well worth it. But it is not going to close. I am not going to ban people that post BS about GS on other sites. I don't have the time or energy to even think about that.

As far as "selectively" enforcing the rules, if I am guilty of that, I truly apologize. I always have expected this site to be a great experience for all that come here. I miss things as do the moderators. It is not intentional. And if it does happen, please email me or alert me.

If you are leaving the site and are dissatisfied, drop me a line and tell me why if you have the time.

WAX ON WAX OFF

I get about an equal number of complaints that I am too involved and make too many rules. Strangely enough I get about the same number of compliments that the rules are great and the hands off approach is wonderful. So based on feedback, I am always clear as mud on how everyone feels. I follow what I think is the best way to deal with situations. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have a number of friends that are all members of the board that I run things by. I generally try to look at any "rule" through the eyes of others. It is ultimately subjective. Sometimes people give me ideas that accomplish the task and disarm the poster with humor.

I don't have a problem with it. As I said the one thing that does get lost in the translation is the context. So I would suggest that some type of preface is made to put the quote in context. This thread is a good example of how things get sidetracked just trying to get a grasp of the context.

One possible solution is a link that would allow interested posters to go over to the thread in question and read it for themselves.

What many are registering over there and seeing for themselves. Actually you don't even have to register to view the threads in the general area.

Interesting development...

-Refiners_Fire posts a new thread ("Public Announcement") advising the JWO veterans against further involvement in what is basically an external leakover conflict. If his leadership ability holds, and curbs both Jan and Doug from further reply, then it will effectively cut ALL of their veterans out of the contention. It's hard to maintain a unilateral cease-fire, but if it happens, that will pretty much shut the doors on this one, leaving it between former GSCers only.

Well managed, RF. icon_wink.gif;)--> Hope it works out for you.

quote:
-Refiners_Fire posts a new thread ("Public Announcement") advising the JWO veterans against further involvement in what is basically an external leakover conflict.

Please cut and paste the message text that says that. I've read the whole thread twice and I just don't see it.

Here's the link:

http://www.jehovahswitnessonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=5301

quote:
Originally posted by The Girl From Oz:

I think this thread should be moved to JPS.

Why? Because you don't like it? This thread is not "silly" in the sense that "Why I Reject Alice" and other like threads are, but covers an issue that the poster wants to make public.

quote:
Zixar should post his thoughts about JWO on that site, if he has a problem with anyone.
Oh, like thoughts about GS weren't posted at JWO. Where's your vaunted respect for free speech?

quote:
I'm not naive enough to think that Zizar has done nothing to stir up these people. Why he has to post here to try to gather sympathy rather than face his critics like a man, beats me.
Maybe because the folks at JWO, ex-GSers and ex-JW's alike, aren't really interested in a discussion, but in indiscriminate cussing and name-calling.

Take your spoon and stir your .... somewhere else

quote:
Originally posted by Jim:

Please cut and paste the message text that says that. I've read the whole thread twice and I just don't see it.

From the very first post:

quote:
... That thread, basically, is a GSC internal matter.

It doesnt concern posters here.

That's it? I saw it, I read it, I noted the context. I see no advice to JWO members, just a passive opinion.

Perhaps you have some yet unstated motive for stirring up contention between GS and JWO. If so, be honest and say it. If you can't do that, at least paraphrase the JWO posts honestly.

quote:
Originally posted by satori001:

JWO says it is "open," but life as a Jehovah's Witness has made the ex-DUBS the creatures of another God. There is something fundamentally different about the JWO community. They are far more cynical, for one thing.

Cynical because we have learnt that not to accept everything at face value, but to investigate claims and statements. Some people may call that cynical, I call that common sense.

quote:
Breaking all rules is more important to them

Breaking whose rules?

quote:
than discerning the good ones from bad ones.

Good according to whom? And why are we expected to "discern" this?

quote:
They seem to have run out of things to complain about,

Yes, some times it gets quiet on the board. But we can amuse ourselves, thank you very much.

quote:
and even reasons (beyond their own convenience) to care, so they seek and welcome malcontent outsiders, from which they "feed," almost like vampires. "Bleed, cry, scream, anything, just entertain us."

And where are the threads where we schemed to pick up some ex-cultists and play with their emotions? This is what you are trying to infer, aren't you?

icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

quote:
Originally posted by pawtucket:

Laleo,

Of the posters that I recognize on JWO, only Rocky was banned. Mad Mary claims to be, but I haven't done anything with her account, except to PT her to stop her posts attacking zix. (She made about a dozen or so posts)

I believe that Refiners Fire has also been banned from this site.

quote:
Originally posted by Zixar:

Interesting development...

-Refiners_Fire posts a new thread ("Public Announcement") advising the JWO veterans against further involvement in what is basically an external leakover conflict.

He "advised" no such thing. Besides, the posters on JWO can think for themselves, we no longer need someone to hold our hand and tell us what to do.

quote:
If his leadership ability holds,

Leadership??? hahahaha..... (Sorry RF)

Refiner doesn't have "leadership" over any of us. As I said before, we don't need someone to hold our hand and tell us what to do.

quote:
and curbs both Jan and Doug from further reply,

Yeah right! Try telling either of those guys what to do! icon_razz.gif:P-->

quote:
then it will effectively cut ALL of their veterans out of the contention. It's hard to maintain a unilateral cease-fire, but if it happens, that will pretty much shut the doors on this one, leaving it between former GSCers only.

Well managed, RF. icon_wink.gif;)--> Hope it works out for you.

Hate to tell you this, but the only JWOers who have posted on that thread about Zixar are RF, JanH and LongHauler(Doug). None of us are interested about who said what on GS many moons ago. Satori, Zixar and the others mean nothing to us. They have no significance.

Sorry guys.

icon_razz.gif:P-->

GFO: Thanks for the welcome, but I only made one post, so I wouldn't have to keep answering the people questioning why I didn't answer the vile accusations made there, and I don't really see myself making any more in the near future.

quote:
advise - v. 2. to inform or notify, (although the preferred usage in this manner is that it should be restricted to the legal sense)

Not enough of a nitpick to invalidate a whole post, IMO.

Excathedra: I said you'd fit right in over there. Sorry if the short words confused you.

quote:
Originally posted by Zixar:

GFO: Thanks for the welcome, but I only made one post, so I wouldn't have to keep answering the people questioning why I didn't answer the vile accusations made there, and I don't really see myself making any more in the near future.

Vile accusations? Such as refuting you have hemorroids? icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

quote:
Originally posted by Jim:

That's it? I saw it, I read it, I noted the context. I see no advice to JWO members, just a passive opinion.

Perhaps you have some yet unstated motive for stirring up contention between GS and JWO. If so, be honest and say it. If you can't do that, at least paraphrase the JWO posts honestly.

Jim: It's hardly my fault if you try to read your own agenda into what I post and fail.

quote:

Vile accusations? Such as refuting you have hemorroids? icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

I honestly don't know why Mary Cate and Rocky are so obsessed with the contents of my underwear, but their posts as to the relationship between Pawtucket and myself border on libel.

quote:

Hate to tell you this, but... [n]one of us are interested about who said what on GS many moons ago. Satori, Zixar and the others mean nothing to us. They have no significance.

Prisca, when you say "... the others mean nothing to us," that better defines the cynicism I see than any "rebel spirit" you perceive within yourselves.