• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

quote:
Originally posted by Sudo:

sudo (realizing Kathy probably never read the comic books)

Yup, I'm Superman and all that gang ignorant. I didn't read comics at all. But I did hear a song today on the radio, some 60's dude (like Donovan) and the song said something about Superman and Spiderman in that order I believe. And at the time I thought "hey I can go on and say I don't know but do they know this song" but I forgot who was singing. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Kathy-would that have been "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan? If so , it's Superman and Green Lantern, not Spider-Man.

The city in the bottle was Kandor, from Krypton. Brainiac shrunk it and put it in a bottle before krypton exploded. Superman retrieved it and put the bottle in his fortress while he searched for a way to enlarge them.

The Bizarro's lived on the square Bizarro world out in space. Originally there was just one Bizarro, an 'imperfect duplicate' of Superman. Over time, thousands of Bizarro Supermen were created, as well as a Bizarro Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, lana Lang, Perry White, Krypto, and om and on. Atrip to the Bizarro world was strange indeed, which I may enlighten you all on.

I told you not to get me started Sudo.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

Kathy,

You're getting a glimpse of what it was like to be a little boy back in the '60's. Amazingly I remember a lot of it, though clearly, not as much as Hiway29. In addition to comic books (I didn't know ANY little girls who read them.. I wonder why??) I collected marbles. Kept them in a big athletic sock.

I remember Superman comics describing life on Bizarro world. They did everything backwards from the way it was on Earth and one example they gave was that they put bottles of milk out on the porch at night and the milkman picked them up and left them empties. They invited readers to send in examples.

The little girls were playing with Barbies and watching Shirley Temple movies. I have to admit.. I liked Shirley Temple, too, but couldn't admit it around the other little boys.

sudo

The Bizarro Code

us do opposite of all earthly things

us hate beauty

us love ugliness

is big crime to make anything perfect on Bizarro World

You are correct in your Bizarro memories, Sudo

Bizarro was just one of many of the quirkiness of 60's Superman comics. Jimmy Olsen comics alone are enough to make one gasp in wonder , but that's another story.

I believe this all only helped the new world of Marvel comics by Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, and Stan Lee. The Fantastic Four and Spider-Man were miles beyond the Superman books in execution, and dare I say maturity.

Still, there's a wackiness to those Superman family books from the 60's ( courtesy of editor Mort Weisenger-the meanest SOB who ever lived), that have a timeless appeal of sorts.

And yes, Superman would occassionaly shrink down and visit the bottle city of kandor. He lost his powers there, as they were powered by an artificial Kryptonian type red sun. And we all know Superman gains his powers under a yellow sun.

At times he would bring his pal Jimmy Olsen with him, and they would don costumes with flight packs and fight crime in Kandor as Nightwing and Flamebird. hey why not.

Years later when Dick grayson, the original Robin, had grown too old to be running around in those little green shorts, he changed his costume to a dark black and blue, and is now known as Nightwing, as a nod to the old Superman identity. Since then Batman has broken in several new Robin's, including a girl, and a Robin that everyone hated so much they voted for him to die in the comic.

OK -I'm getting out of control here. My only excuse for knowing this junk is being a working cartoonist, animator who has drawn comics and I 'have' to keep up with what's going on.

Comics today are generally dark , depressing, and are sorely lacking in fun or 'sense of wonder'. There are exceptions, but I'm glad I was a kid in the 60's .

The Bizarro World used to irritate the hell out of me when I was kid. I thought it was stupid. That's one of the reasons I quit reading Superman and went to Marvel.

That and the fact that I finally realized that Lois Lane was a complete moron because she couldn't recognize Clark Kent without his glasses on. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Marvel comics really were a marvel back then, at least for a few magical years.

I thought the glasses were a ridiculous disguise until I saw Christopher Reeve in the first Superman movie. I then understood how the disguise was much more than glasses, as Reeve played a 'meek, mild' Clark Kent, that bore little resemblance to the heroic Superman.

Girls read comics. I was a girl, and I read Lois Lane comics, Lana Lang, Archie, Casper, and of course Mad Magazine!

There are still things I think of from MAD that I laugh about today.

And as for Archie comics, I always rooted for Betty to get Archie instead of Veronica because she was a stuck up rich beeyatch.

I used to go to the drug store with 25 cents and get a comic book and a couple of candy bars.

Yup, reading comics and eating candy bars. That's the life!

quote:
Originally posted by Sudo:

Kathy,

You're getting a glimpse of what it was like to be a little boy back in the '60's. Amazingly I remember a lot of it, though clearly, not as much as Hiway29. In addition to comic books (I didn't know ANY little girls who read them.. I wonder why??) I collected marbles. Kept them in a big athletic sock.

I remember Superman comics describing life on Bizarro world. They did everything backwards from the way it was on Earth and one example they gave was that they put bottles of milk out on the porch at night and the milkman picked them up and left them empties. They invited readers to send in examples.

The little girls were playing with Barbies and watching Shirley Temple movies. I have to admit.. I liked Shirley Temple, too, but couldn't admit it around the other little boys.

sudo

Sudo, well you're right about Shirley Temple movies. I loved them and laughed and cried as many times as I saw the same movie. I didn't enjoy her work as much after she grew up. I had trouble giving her up as a little girl I reckon.

But I did know about the dorky thing of wearing the glasses on Superman, and felt kind of honored that Pirate and higway29 both mentioned it afterwards. Why I do believe I am bragging about nothing…..ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Okay so you loved Romeo and Juliet and thought it was romantic and you enjoyed watching Shirley Temple movies. Well I suspect Mrs. Sudo enjoys those qualities in you for sure.

We manged to put out 18 issues of Glad, Steve, an amazing feat looking back on it.

Most of the stuff is hard for me to look at now. I was all over the place searching for a distinctive style, yet there was nothing like having an outlet for work, and a deadline to meet. It forced us all to push ourselves, which was good for me.

I had some issues with the direction and purpose of the magazine. The editorial POV was basic way corps craig-speak, heavily weighted on right wing politics and gay bashing, Being the only non corps staffer, I was not listened to about that much, but still managed to have pretty free reign to do what I wanted.

The magazines biggest problem was that it wasn't funny enough.

I'm thankful for the experience. It was satisfying to know some people really appreciated the magazine, and it was an important step to where i am today.

I now post my favorite TV program from the '60's. It probably wasn't my favorite program at the time, though. That would have been a lot of others... The Munsters, The Addams family and The Flintstones.

And though everyone will know this one no doubt.. let's show some respect, huh?? There could be someone out there who doesn't know it!!

Click HERE! and remimence, uh I mean, remenence, no, reminence naw... I mean remember! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

sudo

That was one terrific show , Sudo. At least the first 5 years were. The loss of one of the stars to movies, and the switch to color sapped the life out of it for it's final years.

But in it's day-man, they don't do tv like that anymore. One episode would have you rolling on the floor over a pickle contest, and the next would bring a tear to the eye over a dead bird.

This is a topic that deserves space for memories. At a later time, I'm thinking of throwing out the topic of shows that went downhill during their run, but for now, I'm also interested in hearing thoughts about this one.

You really think there is anybody out there that doesn't know this one, maybe the most recognizable tv theme of all time? Well, I guess it is possible.

This one hits close to home, literally. I live about a 90-minute drive from the real town that inspired this series. It did jump the shark after that one character left for sure.

The funniest one left, Steve.

Actually, another very funny character left before him, but that was to spin him off to his own series. He was missed also, but it wasn't as devastating as when the main character left. And really, was 'the Ghost and Mr Chicken' worth leaving for ?

The character did make annual return visits, but it wasn't the same.

Oh-another character that was sorely missed was the barber. In his last season his left side was paralyzed after a stroke, and he was always filmed either sitting down or standing behind the barber chair. His left arm was useless and it's fascinating to watch him only using his right arm while disguising the affliction.

quote:
Originally posted by Pirate1974:

You really think there is anybody out there that doesn't know this one, maybe the most recognizable tv theme of all time? Well, I guess it is possible.

Yes, but only if they have spent the last 50 years living under a rock. In a cave. On Mars. With thier fingers in thier ears.

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

(Shamlessly stolen from Comic Book Guy on The Simpsons!)

Rick

Well, I knew the theme, but I honestly don't think I ever saw an episode. Sit-coms have just never been my cup of tea. I never watched "Happy Days" either.

It's sorta odd when everybody seems to be so knowledgeable about some cultural thingy or other, that it becomes something of our national identity, and I'm oblivious to it. Makes me wonder what planet I've been on.

Mars maybe?