GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

I'll admit I haven't seen very many Ronald Reagan movies. I mainly remember him as one of the hosts of "Death Valley Days."

He was pretty good in "Knute Rockne All American" even though it wasn't much of a part. About all he had to do as George Gipp was die.

The best movie I remember seeing him in was "The Winning Team" where he played Grover Cleveland Alexander. He did a good job in that one.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember Ronny from several "Rah, Rah" wartime propoganda flicks, and a western or two, but geeze, even in the stills you posted, I look at them and think "Look, it's the president of the Kiwanis Club, having a bad day." It wasn't his acting ability, it was him. Who he was, what he projected. He may have been able to act with the best of them, but he'd just never fit the part for "Rick". Anymore than Rodney Dangerfield could have played the romantic lead in "South Pacific". Even if he could sing and act as well or better than Rossano Brazzi, his personna just wouldn't sell. Sorry...

Bogie made a lot of movies.. and there are a lot of famous stills from them.. If any one wants to try this, lets play Guess the film.

Here is the first onebg1.jpg

this film has a cast of 30's greats in it and it wasn't the dead end that some of the cast portrayed.

I would agree that it's 'Angels with Dirty Faces'.

Which brings up the topic of the Dead End Kids. They really were 'street' kids when they first appeared on stage. Who knew that they'd still be around 20 years later.

The 'dead end kids', became the 'east side' kids, churning out B pictures in the mid 40's, finally becoming the 'Bowery Boys'-tho Leo Gorcay and Huntz Hall were hardly 'boys' by then.

In it's dead end days, gabriel dell, and Bobby jordan were the leads, with gorcey playing the 'tough' kid, and Hall the dumb kid.

Most of the group would weave in and out of the films over the years, but Gorcey and Hall became the mainstays. Even Leo Gorcey didn't make it to the end tho. His drinking finally did him in, and the last few Bowery Boys, featured Huntz hall with a straight man who I can't recall at the moment.

For a time tho, Leo Gorcey ruled the franchise. His father was a regular, playing the owner of Louie's sweet Shop where they hung out, and died not long before leo left. leo was devastated by his father's death which hastened his own leaving. Leo's brother David played a member of the gang for years, but was mostly background scenery, with little to say or do.

Gorcey did make it till '69, though. I think his father passed away in '56. The odd thing I remember about him was his demanding royalties from The Beatles for their use of his picture on the cover of the "Sargent Pepper" album. I always thought that was kinda petty. I wonder now, are the early albums with Gorcey's picture worth a whole bunch of money now?

Oh, and re: the other straight man. Could this be him?

" former East Sider Stanley Clements joined the series as Stanislaus Coveleske, aka 'Duke'"

Yeah-that's him-Stanley Clements.

Leo might have dies in '69, but the Bowery Boys series ended in the 50's, and he left after 10 or 2 pictures, after his father died.

He wrote a really bizarre autobiography in the mid 60's that has just recently been re-released-tho only a thousand or so were printed the first time. It's more like the ramblings of a broken man than a biography, and is a fascinating , read that tells little factually about him, but lots about his odd perspective on his career.

I'd guess if one could find a Sergeant pepper's with his face on it it would be valuable indeed.

Geo,

If only we knew then what we know now. Had you invested $1000 dollars in Microsoft in 1976 (it was founded the year before) you'd be worth an approximate 5 billion dollars today.

Wasway... I found out something today by using IMDB. Humphrey Bogart and James Cagney appeared in only one movie together... but I ain't saying 'cuz I cheated.

sudo

Gee wizz you guys..I thought that it would be a tad bit more difficult than it was. Yup, it was Angel's with Dirty Faces, AKA the rise and fall of Rocky Sullivan. My dad and I watched it on the All Night Theater when I was About 10 years old..For some reason I still remember that night like it was yesterday.

here is a Bogie pic pic without Bogie. If you really can't figure it out then click on the picture, it may help..

bg2.jpg

Wasway,

Good pic and great sound bite. A real treasure worth it's weight in gold from a movie showing the ravages of gold fever. Just stick your hand under the rock. Gila monsters don't let go, I understand. The movie is, of course, McHale's Navy Joins The Air Force.

sudo

I saw that Bogie movie while lying in a hospital bed many years ago. Thanks for the memories.

The McHale's navy joke reminds me that I don't think McHale was even in the air force movie. Ernest Borgnine sat it out and Tim Conway starred, who I've never been that crazy about.

It also starred Joe Flynn tho, who's right up there with Ed Platt as great TV characters.

Sharon,

After several minutes of intensive research (clicking on a few eBay auctions) it appears that the really valuable "Butcher" album is any one in Stereo.

There are several "peeled" mono albums (album covers that were papered over with the "trunk" cover and have had that secondary cover removed) that go from a few dollars to a few hundred, depending on how well the peeling operation was performed. But the stereo version is, for whatever reason, quite rare - peeled or otherwise - with the the butcher photo.

I can't imagine why anyone would pay that much more for an album, just to get the stereo version, but collectors can be a really strange lot...

thank you so much for your kind welcomes,

the butcher album is such a collectable because it was the first time a musical group stepped over "society" limits, the peeled version is more common than a straight butcher cover,

the most valuable one are refered as the "Livingston" butcher's, Alan Livingston, was a big wig in the record company and he ended up with a dozen of unopened mint condition butcher covers, (rumor has it he helped himself to box, but I wasn't there)

when i said only one had hit the market these are the albums I refer to,

collectors always pay more for stero version albums, the reason is fewer where made and they sound better(which makes no sence because if you play the record it loses value)

and a trivial pursuit moment..Alan Livingston is not only responsible for 12 of the most valuable albums in the world he is the author of "I tawt I taw a Puddy Cat" He also signed my hero Frank (Sinatra as if there is any other Frank).

The Butcher album cover rocked America, today we wouldn't even notice it, next to Ozzie, and Eminem, and that makes me sad.

I dunno, even after all these years, I find it to be in amazingly bad taste.

What were they thinking?

A pretty good album though, wudn't it? I'd forgotten what all was on it. "I'm Only Sleeping" was my favorite cut off of that one. It kinda foreshadowed where their music was going to go...

Here is a partial article regarding that statement. And talk about an uproar. Our mothers forbade us to listen to their music, but we did in secret. Although I never was a sold out fan of the Beatles.

quote:
On March 4, 1966, this quote of John's was printed in an interview by reporter Maureen Cleave in the London Evening Standard.

"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

Then, almost five months later, on July 29, a teen magazine in the US, Datebook, reprinted the quote out of context, not submerged in an article, but as a part of a front cover story entitled "The Ten Adults You Dig/Hate The Most".

Commenting on the uproar over the article in America, Maureen Cleave in London said, "John was certainly not comparing the Beatles with Christ. He was simply observing that so week was the state of Christianity that the Beatles were, to many people, better known. He was deploring, rather than approving, this." And at a press conference in New York, to try and head off the growing controversy, Brian Epstein told reporters, "The quote which John Lennon made to a London columnist has been quoted and misrepresented entirely out of context of the article, which was in fact highly complimentary to Lennon as a person."

Then later Brian Epstein asked: "Some teenagers have repeated your statements - "I like the Beatles more than Jesus Christ." What do you think about that?"

John: "Well, originally I pointed out that fact in reference to England. That we meant more to kids than Jesus did, or religion at that time. I wasn't knocking it or putting it down. I was just saying it as a fact and it's true more for England than here. I'm not saying that we're better or greater, or comparing us with Jesus Christ as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is. I just said what I said and it was wrong. Or it was taken wrong. And now it's all this."

Epstein: "But are you prepared to apologize?"

John (thinking that he just had): "I wasn't saying whatever they're saying I was saying. I'm sorry I said it really. I never meant it to be a lousy anti-religious thing. I apologize if that will make you happy. I still don't know quite what I've done. I've tried to tell you what I did do but if you want me to apologize, if that will make you happy, then OK, I'm sorry."

quote:
Originally posted by hiway29:

...Leo might have dies in '69, but the Bowery Boys series ended in the 50's, and he left after 10 or 2 pictures, after his father died.

quote:
Originally posted by hiway29:

that's 1 or 2 pictures, and 'died' in '69-I gotta start spell checking before posting.

Been there before! icon_razz.gif:P-->

It brought back a found memory of my brother. He use to start with large numbers and work down. Without using apparent humor he would stir a laugh in a listener. Bless his heart! He died not too many years after my sister did at the young age of 43. Regardless that bummer comment I thank you! Your starting with large numbers reminded me of him and that's a good thing! icon_smile.gif:)-->

I do regret not knowing things like the Bowery Boys and Dead End Kids. Some of that is vague but that's the best I have on it.

Sudo is correct in his summation to a degree in that girls didn't necessarily follow with the interests of boys during those younger years.

These years below are more teens than younger but some you'll recognize from the same time frame as what was mentioned.

I loved Mission Impossible. What can you say about it? It was just one excellent piece of work!

Another I watched was Star Trek. But I swear let's be honest about Kirk. They made him out to be the biggest space ho there was. And the guy didn't even make one hair on my arm stand up so no way did he have it like they portrayed. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Other things I enjoyed was This Is Your Life, The Twilight Zone, Lost In Space, Perry Mason, Leave It To Beaver, The Tonight Show, Dragnet, 77 Sunset Strip, and The Fugitive. Anyway that's a few I watched somewhere in those years.

But I liked beach movies and some might consider that a girl thing. icon_smile.gif:)-->