GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Chatty - THIS actually is the name of the link. I originally had it http, then changed it to ftp to see if that was what I had done wrong. I'll try to fix it now. Thanks so much! I love seeing all that stuff you post.

Cowgirl, at least you LOOK GOOD while you're learning, eh? LOL Tape applied. Nope, I have no idea what that song was or whodunnit. Now that I think of it, you're another one whose stuff I always look at and smile.

So, is it that if it's a sound file I use ftp and if it's a graphic or data file I use http?

I'm really not up on the terminology. I'm just a trained monkey. I only know what I've needed to learn to do what I want to do and I always find something more I want to do, so I keep learning, errr, uh, trying to learn.

I came into this game familiar with uploading and downloading sound files for work so that part came easy. I'll get there so's I can post a link and you can open it if you'd like. I really will.

Here, let's try this again. (Try #4 or 5, but oh baby, this time I got a feelin"!)

I usually don't enjoy covers of songs I already know and love, but see if you can tell who

[link removed] is.

Edited by Modaustin

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bowtwi,

There was another thing, too. There is a space between 'a' and 'href'. You had ahref. One other itsy bitsy thing I forgot to mention, as well was... when you're posting, below where it says 'Guided Mode Off' and 'Check Post Lenght'. Below that to the left you'll see 'Post Options'. That's where you'll select HTML On- Auto linebreak mode. What you would post in the above case would be.. Can anyone tell me who <a href=http://baygeeks.com/public/Mom/THIS.wav>THIS</a> singer is? That's the correct syntax but there's another problem. I just checked and there is no THIS.wav file at that location. Why don't you check to make sure you don't have to go through a 'Public' directory of some kind? Like baygeeks.com/public/mom or something like that? My church server makes me do that. If I were to post the song from there, I would have to use this syntax.. <a href=http://www.lroom.org/public/users/bowdend/THIS.wav>THIS</a>. And using Rick's Unix server you have to use a little '~' sign before your directory, like this... <a href=http://mail.bluzecentral.net/~sudo/THIS.wav>THIS</a>

I'll be in and out today... e-mail me if you need me.

sudo

<edited by sudo for name correction :redface: >

Bowtwi,

I think Sudo meant your name to be on his post rather than mine. ;)

Okay back to work I must return, just saw this email notification in my inbox and thought I'd quickly log on and say hi and that I think Sudo was talking to you in that post.

It'll be later before I can catch up and listen to y'all's links okay.

Bye again!

Me :unsure:

<snip>

Rick... I have a tune that I'm only going to post a snippet of. See? I end sentences in prepositions all the time. The reason I'm singling YOU out on this one is because I have good reason to believe you'll recognize it right off. Click <a href=http://mail.bluzecentral.net/~sudo/jolly.wav><font color=red>HERE!</font></a> and let me know if my suspicions are correct. Of course, ANYONE who thinks they know who is singing that song may answer. That's just how we do things here. But... I have that whole song on my hard drive in MP3 format. :D

<center>sudo (thinking its beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here!)</center>

<snip>

Well, of COURSE I would know it since you helped me find it last year! :)

And for those who don't know, it's Maurice Chevalier and the song was one of my favorites as a kid!

Rick

MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET !

I don't have time to conjure up a new game at the moment tho.

for those still wondering-

MIRROr

Bill CULlen

DIRTY

FORTh

TREAT

Actually, the next-to-last clues was FORTS; but yes, MIRROR + CULLEN + DIRTY + FORTS + TREAT = "Miracle on 34th Street." Well done, Hiway!

Right now, there isn't an open game in MP. It's Raf's turn. I may just go and post a new puzzle there for all our new players!

George

Moon Girl,

I don't recall hearing that song. Did you share it with your family when you were younger?

SaintGeorge,

No lie that was very cool both here and over in y'alls thread. I go very few places so I do miss talent around here. I saw the one Raf guessed at and it was cool how he wrote his thought processes down so anyone wanting to join in could learn how it's done. I start a thread at the last post so I read the answer before I saw the clue and it was neat to see how it played out.

Sudo,

Why would I show this in relation to you and something you may have in your library of tunes?

34.jpg

And it was fun watching Cowgirl and Bowtwi working with their clues. And Bowtwi you know you've blown me away with your logic and determination so :P to you. :)

Kathy,

I don't know fer sure but maybe you were wanting.... ALVIN? Maybe another? I'm wondering how many folks are going to be hanging our here this weekend. I'll be in and out, myself. And just to keep up with what's been posted... Click HERE! for the snippet that is evidently frustrating folks in that... they KNOW they've heard the theme but can't quite name it. Hee-hee! I love it when that happens.

Rick got the Maurice Chevalier tune I posted... Jolly old St. Nicholas. I'd been searching for it off and on for nearly a year when I finally saw it and got it this week. It's December and I've gots lotsa' Christmas tunes!

sudo

Ha ha!

Sudo - The princess has a friend staying overnite and they were lying down for the night and I clicked on your link and they came a runnin' in asking what I was doing. They said that was the theme song of all the Harry Potter movies! They said it's like whenever you first start going towards Hogwarts or at the beginning and end of the movies. They were freaked out, wondering what I was doing watching Harry Potter without them.

Um, sorry, but I do believe I was the one who first got Jolly Ol' St. Nick - I said something about a happy elderly somebody, I think. :D

I talked with Bow jr today and I think we got my problem straightened out so hopefully tomorrow night after we get back from our big day in the city I can repost what I tried to do earlier. I'm not sure I have the concentration yet right now. Of course, Sudo, if you want to post this one for me, I wouldn't mind. I'd like to see if anyone's familiar with this version.

I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong uploading tho cause when I play that file from MY desktop it plays great. Then when I try to cut and paste it from my desktop to the ftp site it won't paste. I've tried to drag and drop too, but that's not worked either.

Kathy - I sure do love you.

George - I think that's a great game, but so far I haven't guessed any. I'll keep watching and see if I can get some eventually.

Sudo,

:) ....me I want a hoola hoop....

I like that dang song, what can I say. :rolleyes:

I've no idea of yours but I'm sure I know it. A tough one.

Well hubby and neighbor just pulled out with a truck loaded down with necessary supplies headed to Mississippi. Yeah for all my talk about you men and that T word I already miss him. :(

Sudo's music is 'The Nightmare before Christmas" I think

Kathy just played the theme from a show that was on tv for 14 years! and on radio before that! It gets a lot of flack for alot of reasons, but for me I watched it every week, year in and year out. It was almost surrealistic in it's pacing and delivery. Like a tranquilizer almost.No one ever raised their voice, or moved quickly. They were called 'adventures'-which might be the funniest thing about it. I saw an old episode not long ago where they spent 10 minutes debating the merits of pancake mix over homemade pancakes. Some adventure. I'm happy to say it had the same tranquilizing effect I fondly remembered, putting me in a nice ,relaxed ,comatose state.

Kathy's clue is a little misleading only in that it crosses generations.

And-I DO know what he did for a living-though admittedly it is hard to tell.

Oh-and I didn't get Miracle on 34th street by Raf's solving it-I did it all with my own little pea brain.Raf seems to be the king of this though.

And I love the Alvin Show. The real one from 1961-Not those imposters from the 80's and 90's.

Moon Girl,

I had one and loved it I recall. (I also misspelled it)

Hula Hoop of that era I believe. hula-hoop.jpg

Hiwayman,

You know the show without question and thank you for helping bring back more memories for me. And yes I did jump generations and knew if anyone knew the theme at all that clue should aid in confirming but if not well it would be hard to identify it yup. :)

And you concluded in a similar way I thought as far as pictionary.

Agreed on the imposters of the Alvin Show.

Mooney,

I know Kathy's show but I remember it coming on with voice over while the music played. Maybe this was what was played at the end? Like Hiway29 said... Kathy's clue about blonds might have been referring to the two twin (blond) sons of one of the kids in the series. Oh, and Hiway29.... Bowtwi was right about my snippet (Click HERE!), it was the Harry Potter movies theme. I woulda' thought that folks here with younger children or grandchildren would have known it, too.

And since Bowtwi asked me to post her song, click HERE! and identify the singer and Nooooooo.... it isn't Janis. But then...*this*... group would know that. Bowtwi's getting the feel of this, I think. The converting of music files, renaming them, uploading them and then finally linking to them. Its a whole lot at ONE TIME though each individual part isn't very tough. The tough part is finding good tunes to post. But its a lot of fun!

sudo

P.S. Here's one of many to come for the holidays. Even if you don't who the singer is, tell me... does this not sound like its from the islands? I like it. A different kind of Christmas song. Sounds sorta' Calypso to my ears. Click HERE!

I know Kathy's show but I remember it coming on with voice over while the music played. Maybe this was what was played at the end? Like Hiway29 said... Kathy's clue about blonds might have been referring to the two twin (blond) sons of one of the kids in the series.
And the sons are singing sons of a dead singer, right?
Hey Bowtwi, that sounds like a canadian to me.............................Anne Murray???

Cowgirl

Opps sorry, I meant that in regards to Sudo's clue!

Sounds like her to me too, but not calypso. Sudo, you need to come down here to hear what island music sounds like. :P

Bowtwi's Bobby Mcgee sounds a lot like Lynn Anderson, who is best know for that irritating song I Beg Your Pardon(I Never Promised You A Rose Garden). But then, most country singers sound alike to me. :D

Rick(Who really DOES like old C&W)

And I'm with Cowgirl, that DOES sound like Ann.

Rick

As far as Kathy's, that was a whole different Ozzie than the one that's on tv now. :)

Rick

Funny - I was thinking Bow's song was being done by Dolly. And no offense, Sudo, but that Christmas song you posted about broke my speakers - OY - UGH. I love a lot of Christmas songs - but for some really good stuff you have to check out Da Yoopers!

Edited by Morgan