The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was indeed a British show. It started in the USA as a summer replacement show with episodes that were a few years old (we didn't know) It was such a success that it was brought back, I believe as a mid season replacement show. Tara King was the female lead for a time as was another character Emma Peel.

It was made into a movie a few years back also

Emma Peel rocked.

Tara was good, but she was a disappointment when she first took Diana Rigg's place. She was just too 'traditional' , compared to the groundbreaking Emma peel.

Having said that, Tara 'grew' into the role and was much better after a few months.

That's my two cents, I mean pence.

Oh, and Honore Blackman was the female lead before either of them, wearing even more leather than Emma. She went on to fame as '***** galore' in 'Goldfinger'

wow, I had no idea 'galore's first name would get censored !

Hey guys..

I've gots something new. A FAST place to upload video files so that everyone with broadband here will be able to view without a bunch of stutter. This movie was on this week, so of course, I ripped the most famous part. Click HERE! I'm thinking of doing another poll to see what kinds of internet connection speeds folks have.. but YOU guys let me know... Were you able to see this OK?? What's the movie???

sudo

"The Avengers" was another one of those shows that I just never quite "got".

It was such an odd program, always so tongue-in-cheek, sorta spoofing itself and the spy-genre in general.

I could never figure out if I was supposed to believe them or not. Just odd...

And then there was "The Prisoner". Another English show that had quite a cult following as well. And every bit as goofy.

I guess I just don't appreciate the British approach to T.V. Although "Benny Hill" is still a favorite...

Sudo,

That's one my alltime favorite scenes ( I don't think I'm very unique in that). Funny how the music actually detracts from the movie now, though. It's so overdone. Well, the whole movie was pretty overdone, in retrospect.

BTW, a bit of trivia about that scene - I guess Brando was so full of himself that he wouldn't sit in the cab while Steiger was doing his part of the dialog, he went home instead - to leave Steiger talking to Elia Kazan, who sat in for the missing Brando. Whatta primadonna...

(edited cause I got the people wrong - Sorry Mr. Steiger!)

Edited by George Aar

avengers-thumb.gif Jonathan Steed (Patrick Macnee) & Emma Peel (Diana Rigg) were great together.

I think you described it to some degree Geo, but I enjoyed that aspect of it as well. Was I to believe this could be happening was part of the enjoyment for me. But then I tend to like some of the British humor so that probably accounts some too. <_<

I loved the names of those women and I had to laugh that it got blipped from Hiwayman's post.

I understand Brando couldn't remember his lines so the actor he was looking at had lines attached to their chests or areas like that because he had to rely on them to do his scenes. And if you look at that one you can tell he's reading lines at one point.

But I did enjoy him at times. He and that cat with his mouth full of cotton as the Godfather just couldn't have been better. I guess that's why they put up with his crap. :unsure:

Benny Hill… :biglaugh:

Sudo's film clip came up great for me.

George

And I didn't see the Honor Blackman episodes until a couple of years ago when the Mystery Encore Channel ran all the Avengers episodes (well, not including the "New Avengers" episodes).

I remember my sister telling me about a show called "The Avengers." Being the comic-book afficionado that I am, I assumed it featured the Marvel comic-book group. I was disappointed at first, but grew to enjoy the show immensely. Sure, it was oddball; tha's what made it so interesting.

Thanks for the feedback guys.. Kathy?? You having problems with my file? Anyone else??

I'm going to do a poll in 'Open' about Greasespotters' internet speeds again. I don't want to drive folks away from a fun thread like this just because they have only dial-up. Here's an audio for ANYONE who's reading this.. Click HERE!

Funny how things change isn't it? I was just talking with ChattyKathy in e-mail about this very thing, too. Look how the Nostalgia thread has changed in the last 5 or 6 years! Rick, Wasway and myself were the only ones who posted tunes for years!! And we had to take an MP3 and break it down to a small WAV file so that it would play for everyone using a dial-up internet connection. And who was using a dial-up internet connection back then?? Nearly ALL of us! But now look. We routinely post large MP3's de rigeur. But it wasn't THAT long ago that we would post the watered down WAV and say that we had the good MP3 available on request.

Now look at what I'm doing.. I'm posting video files fer Heavens' sake! And so far... so good. My my.. how things change.

sudo (also remembering when he placed silver fillings :( )

Kathy,

Oh, I LOVE Brando's movies (well, except for his directorial debut "One-eyed Jacks" which was absolutely dreadful - almost laughably so), just think that he was probably a horse's foot in real life.

How did a boy from a dorky, midwest town get such an attitude?

inside-dvd-streetcar2.jpg You could about believe him when he cried Stella!

I honestly can't recall hearing good things about him, except for his being called the greatest actor. I believe he was an actor that had raw talent but he didn't fit into the mold they needed him to be behind the scenes, one of those hard to capture personalities.

It's actually cool today, wild weather we have anymore. :blink:

:biglaugh: Then I'm amongst (proper usage ?) some of my buds in this image, so glad to see that! ;)

I enjoyed my quick AIM with you and Ted last night. And at risk of Ted getting me back.....I knew it was you typing after you typed the first line.....you're a tad faster than he is...... :biglaugh:

All have a good day please.