GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

not Supercar-but Supercar is from the same Gerry Anderson productions

half of the title is in the picture

I think it would be about time to play the song with the vocals, Sudo. I always thought it was an odd song for that show but always liked it

now Thunderbirds-that show was really good

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wasway..

So good to see your font here again. You want to play with us again? :dance::biglaugh:

Geo..

Re:"I never watched this show, and the theme is entirely unfamiliar to me,

but I seem to remember a show called "Fireball XL5"

Yeah.. as Hiway29 and I have been busting at the gut to tell you guys.. It was Fireball XL5. And as promised... here's the vocal version featuring the man who is the father of Russell Crowe's wife. Funny.. he doesn't sound Australian to me. Actually, he sounds a lot like Pat Boone to my ears. Click HERE! and see if that doesn't bring some of it back to you. The composer of that little ditty was born in 1908. It was written produced and recorded in 1962. Which goes to show that talented musicians can adapt to changing styles.

Now.. Isn't that a cool song? So hip with the times when in 1962 we were in the middle of the space race with the Яussians. In fact.. it even sounds a little like Telstar doesn't it??

sudo

Well, geeze,

Even with the lyrics t doesn't sound the least bit familiar, well, other than the fact that it sounds kinda like "The Teaberry Shuffle".

And no, it's not cool. At least not to my ears. A little too "jingly" for me, as in "advertizing jingle".

But, then, there's no accounting fer taste.

That period of time was overall a tremendously vapid, sterile, completely uninspired era, culturally speaking, whudn't it?

Yee gods, I remember going to the Seattle World's Fair about then and seeing all the egg-shaped furniture, plastic cars, and plexiglas houses and thinking "Oh F#$K, is this what we're in for?"

I've always been a shade on the cynical side though, even as a kid...

Edited by George Aar

I can't believe I used to watch this...........

If you like those Marionettes , these superheroes fight to end terrorism and put tired celebrities out of their misery.

This one is rated: Rated R for graphic crude and sexual humor, violent images and strong language - all involving puppets.

Called- Team America:World Police.

Can't say I didn't warn you.

you ARE quite the curmudgeon, George.

I always liked that song, mainly because it DIDN'T fit the puppet show. To my 10 year old self, it was catchy and kinda cool.

As vapid and sterile as you perceive the culture back then, I think today has it beat for vapidness by a mile.

Thunderbirds, was a cut above their other shows, course they're still those puppets.

Team America was made as a biting satire of the genre. I found it very funny in parts.

Geo,

I'm with Hiway29 here.. I loved the 60's even looking back on it now because of all the changes it brought with it. And hey.. I think that theme song rocks! But then I know there's no accounting for our different tastes in music. And think about those egg-shaped furniture, plastic cars, and plexiglas houses you were talking about... that was sure different from anything else we had seen before so how can you call that uninspired?

And Kathy.. I used an ascii site for Russian letters.. HERE! Kinda' neat, huh?

sudo

No, I don't think it was all that different Sudo.

We'd been having a glut of "space-age" styled crap since the sputnik, 5 or 6 years prior to that. Disneyland had it's "Monsanto Home of the Future" and every amusement park in the country had some sort of "Trip to the Moon" ride or "futuristic" adventure ride of some sort. It was horrendously commonplace even by '62 (the year oi the fair). If I could come up with just one word to describe the era, it would be "tacky". Even at the tender age of 10 I realized that. Everything was plastic (and Wobbly) in construction and design.

I remember the early '60s as a time of paranoia and an overwhelming social pressure to conform and be "safe". Outside of Kerouac and his gang and a few other outlaws, we did our part and got a "flattop" ( like Gary Moore) and moved into a split-level in the burbs.

But, on a brighter note, then the late '60s came along. Yee-haw!

Johnny Quest that is.

Thanks for the website referral, Kathy-retrojunk indeed.

One of my favorite sites is newsfromme.com a site by Mark Evanier, who has a long career as a tv writer, producer, comic book writer, and general kibitzer with anyone or thing dealing with popular culture. I think most here would enjoy spending a little time browsing around his site

Tom,

I felt the same way you did. That was ONE cool car! Even though you could see the marionette strings. And Jonny Quest? It was my little brother's favorite Saturday morning show. We would get up early on Saturdays. Like 6 o'clock. And watch kids TV all morning. Jonny Quest was one of the last for the morning as I remember it.

And what did we watch starting at noon? Why American Bandstand, of course! Oh, wait. There was Mr. Wizard we had to endure first, I think.

sudo

And who did the voice for Johnny??????

But Tim Matthieson - our Animal House crazed "Otter"