GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Hiway29,

Re:"what does it all mean?"

Isn't it obvious, my man? Why, you need a tune that was a hit (mainly in Europe) by a 15 year old teenager I do believe. She still sings, has her own web page and is less than 2 months older than I am. So question is... what year did this tune hit the airways??? Click HERE!

sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hiway29,

a hit (mainly in Europe) by a 15 year old teenager I do believe. She still sings, has her own web page and is less than 2 months older than I am. So question is... what year did this tune hit the airways???

Don't remember the year, but don't go skiing with her!

Edited by moony3424

Paw,

I remember this song very well but had to Google to find out who did it. I was really really surprised! It took me back to high school where the psychedelic references had gone over my head at the time. I lived in Memphis, remember, not hip and happening California. I don't even remember hearing the lyrics "... I tripped on a cloud and fell eight miles high

I tore my mind on a jagged sky". But then.. when we had songs like Doo Wah Diddy Diddy Wah Diddy Do.. the lyrics weren't that important to me. :)

sudo

I bought the 45 and it would skip on my record player. I returned it a number of times and finally had to live with the fact that I would not be able to play it at home and that song was one that I loved. I had absolutely no contact with drugs at that time, but "felt" high listening to this song and Sky Pilot by the Animals.

The lead singer was Kenny Rogers. And the group was the First Edition. Here is some history on Wikipedia

Speaking of Eric Burdon, he recently released a new album /cd. OK if that's not nostalgic enough, how about this. Both Dion ( Yep, that Dion) as well as Elvin Bishop both had new releases in the past year. All three very worthy endeavors and well worth a listen.

CK----I probably should have put this on the guitar thread but there is just something nostalgic about Dion. His new release is called"Bronx in Blue". It is a solo effort with a hint of percussion behind him. His website says he is playing a Martin SP-000C-16E. All I know is that it's got a great sound. I wish I were more computer savvy, I'd post a sample if I were. It's almost all covers of old blues staples like "Statesboro Blues, "Crossroads", etc." The high point ,in my opinion is "I Let My Baby Do That."

You're in the right place for learning how to post music links, most of the posters here know how. :)

I found a few links to that song "I Let My Baby Do That" but it was partial songs. It's out there, but I'm leary of some places and won't risk the download.

What I heard of it was very nice! I think you should post your post in the guitar thread also, the folks would enjoy it.

And we can help you learn this stuff. Yup.

I really enjoy Dion's older stuff. ("I Wonder Why" is probably my favorite oldie.) Some of his 70's stuff was good: I enjoyed "Your Own Backyard," but I found "Abraham, Martin, and John" too soupy. I picked up a couple of his releases in the 90's but wasn't too thrilled. I guess I just miss doo-wop.

George