Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I take it then that the "Roasting on An Open Fire" song was a hit? :rolleyes:

I've got a few more novelty songs that folks might enjoy here. You know, Belle, most of us Nostalgia thread people had to learn the hard way how to post stuff. However, in this day of easy YouTube... Posting just songs doesn't excite anyone any longer. I'd be glad to tutorial you through it though.

Re:"p.s. Sudo, I liked that man singing, but still don't have any idea what movie that is from."

I'm sorry, Belle.. it went unanswered didn't it? The movie was Fiddler On The Roof. Below is the dancing at the wedding reception. Man, does that look like a fun party or what?? Good movie.

Bulwinkl,

I downloaded your clip so anytime you want to delete it is OK by me. I looked at the server that you used. You do art for a living?

sudo

:) Thanks, Kathy.

Sudo, I saw that at the local Community Theater production when I was but a wee child, but that's the only time I've seen it and obviously don't remember it - just that it was one of the productions one year. I'll have to watch the whole thing as I do so love the clips you've posted.

Loved the Batman clip, too! :biglaugh:

Bulwinkl, that is a beautiful picture!!

I have a funny about the Monkees .... Ashland, KY, where Daddy lives, has a concert series on the river bank every year. A few years ago the Monkees were the headliners. Davey Jones came into Daddy's bank to cash a check or something and the teller was a pretty young thing who noticed that he was "not from around here" so being the customer service oriented teller that she is, she asked him what he was doing in Ashland. .... Then which band he was performing with. :biglaugh: The poor thing had no idea who he was and had never heard of his band.

Let's see..

Bulwinkl is getting sore feet standing around for 8 hours a day. George is Monkeying around while Belle and Kathy like my Fiddler On The Roof clip. Hey.. that IS a great clip, though, huh? Its so DARK though.. I wish you guys could see those guys doing the traditional Russian dancing with the wine bottles on their heads a little clearer. Did that wedding reception look like fun???

We need a new one to guess though don't we? Then click HERE! and name the movie it came from or the actor who is singing.. anything like that. I get a smile on my face just listening to it.

sudo

Belle,

I've been thinking about that girl at the bank who had never heard of the Monkees or Davy Jones. I run into this at my office because my hygienist is on 24 years old. She had never heard of Jim Nabors OR Gomer Pyle. I was mildly shocked but it happens all the time. She has also NEVER seen Gone With The Wind so I gave her a DVD copy of the movie a while back. She told me this week that she and her husband (they are newlyweds) haven't had time to watch it yet........ :rolleyes:

Here's a clip from Davy Jones web site (http://www.davyjones.net/) where Bill O'Reilly interviews Davy. He doesn't look too bad for a middle aged man, I thought. Better than me for sure but not exactly the baby faced teen idol he was back in the 60's either. Still, for former teen idols I think he's aged a lot better than, say, Frankie Avalon or fer sure Tommy Sands and Fabian.

sudo

We live in a time where we have more access to information, film, you name it, than ever before , due to the internet, dvd's, and 500 channel cable tv.

We also live in a time where little of the past is experienced , unless one goes looking for it.

In the dark ages of our youth, television was teeming with windows to the past. The Little Rascals, Abbott and Costello, Frankenstein, re runs of old Tv shows, cartoons from the 30's and 40's, and on and on, were part of our everyday life.

'Regular' TV channels show none of this anymore. TCM and TVland are just about the only place to go, and they only present so much.

It's kind of sad.

While I can't say that I was ever a fan of their "music", I often thought the T.V. show was a hoot.

Anybody remember the episode where the Mothers of Invention were on? The "Mothers" all disguised themselves to look like the Monkees and the Monkees likewise looked like the "Mothers".

To my 15 year-old brain, it was the funniest thing to ever appear on television. It would be interesting to see it again to see how my 50-something brain would view it...

• 2 weeks later...

actually, it was just Frank Zappa dressed as Mike Nesmith, and Nesmith dressed as Zappa.

Nes asked Zappa to appear on the show, and Zappa said he would if he could be Nesmith, with the wool hat. Mike said sure, if he could be Zappa. The scene played out with Nesmith as Zappa interviewing Zappa as Nesmith.

A great moment in tv history.

I actually still enjoy a fair share of Monkees music, though maybe I shouldn't say so too loudly.

Edited by hiway29

Hiway29,

How do you come up with this kind of information? Is it just a good memory or do you have some secret place on the internet you access? :).

I was perusing today's newspaper and seeing all the names of people who had died in 2007. A couple caught my eye because I hadn't read of their deaths this year. The first was Bruce Bennett who was 100 years old. That name might not sound familiar to you guys as it didn't to me either right off but he played 'Cody', the American who happens into the camp of Bogart and the other two. He had said that he wished he had had a larger part in the movie as he got killed off pretty soon.

The other person who I hadn't heard about is really just a trivia question answer... Vilma Ebsen. She and her brother Buddy Ebsen were famous dancers in New York and vaudeville before their going to Hollywood. They made just two movies together before she went back to New York so I know why she wouldn't be remembered today. What struck me was that she was 96 years old and Buddy had lived to a ripe old age as well.

I guess so much of that is in the genes. Look at Earnest Borgnine.. he's in his 90's and still active. If you looked at his heavy physique you'd have thought he would have been a good candidate for a heart attack. Also, he smoked cigarettes though I bet he gave up that habit.

sudo

As far as this particular bit of Monkee information, I remember the segment well from my long gone youth. The details were filled by a commentary by Nesmith on the Monkee's dvd , showing every episode of the series, with commentaries on selected episodes.

Most of the jumbled mix of useless knowledge in my head is a combination of memory, internet, books, and any other arcane source. These days, there's access to almost anything, if one decides to search.

I too, find Borgnine's longevity a mystery. But I'm glad he's still around.

Buddy Ebsen's longevity was particularly impressive, considering he nearly died in the production of "The Wizard of Oz." Originally cast as the Tin Man, the "costume" they used was basically sprayed-on aluminum powder. He nearly died from inflammation of the lungs. He was replaced by Jack Haley (whose makeup was fortunately of a different composition) without much fanfare.

George

George,

Here's a clip I found of Buddy and Vilma Ebsen singing and dancing with none other than Eleanor Powell. Vilma could dance but she sure wasn't much to look at... especially next to Powell. I think she looked like Buddy, too. Poor thing.

sudo

• 2 weeks later...